Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Where MIGHT he have gone?

Hello all:

I've been looking for the best resources to pose my question to, and I'm throwing this out here on something of a wing and a prayer. Hopefully someone sees it. My apologies if it's placed in the wrong section

Do any researchers out there have even educated speculation - a starting point for me - as to what may have happened to the body of a working class black man who passed away in approx. 1920 Manhattan? I know that the person I'm looking for was alive - working at age 59 and in Manhattan- until at least 1910. Then, he drops off the map. His death is the biggest mystery I've yet to uncover in my research. And I'm almost certain he would have stayed in NY.

He was born a slave. Would he have had the average death certificate (None come up in any online search....making it even harder is that I don't have the death year; he could have lived to 60 or 90)? Was there a likely graveyard nearby? Were those who could afford nothing more cremated? Is there paperwork associated with that?

I would greatly appreciate ANY help. I wanted to keep my message here pretty general, but if anyone feels they can be of help, don't hesitate to contact me privately at emarquis@student.fitchburgstate.edu

Thanks

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy