Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: "Colorism In America" ?
In Response To: Re: "Colorism In America" ? ()

Never have been sure as to how "colorism" has to do with this topic.

Thanx for your response, Seventies

I must admit that "colorism" is a new term to me so i 'googled' and learned that

"Colorism is a practice of discrimination by which those with lighter skin are treated more favorably than those with darker skin. In the African-American community, this traditionally played out via the paper bag test. Those lighter than the standard paper lunch bag were allowed entry into fraternities, sororities and other realms of black upper class life, while dark-skinned blacks were excluded. The Spike Lee film “School Daze” is an exploration of colorism."

Then I go Ohhh! "the paper bag test" well that I certainly knew about and about the visitor to see a new baby exclaiming on the color of ears, elbows and knees. In addition there was a sigh of relief after counting fingers and toes. >( So I better understand. ;)

Again another subject in my view that points directly to Soledad O'Brien and her personal issues with race.

Not familiar with personal issues of Soledad but I will stay tuned. Hopefully the discussion will continue...

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy