Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Finding Family in the 1940 Census .... Problem

Started out kind of shaky for me when I first started searching the 1940, and I gave up for a couple of weeks. Then rolled up my sleeves and dug back in. Started finding most everyone I searched for. Usually had to look page by page and it was a bit difficult and frustrating because of my slow computer.

So far I've found everyone I've searched for (about 30 people/families). Others, I have no idea where they could have been in 1940. My husband has a lot of family that would have been either in DC or NC or maybe VA, don't know. They were following jobs and a bit transient for several years. Looks like a couple of them may have been imprisoned. Need further research on that.

My mother told me specifically that her stepfather and mother, George and Lucy Britton, moved to California with her and her sister about 1942. So I stopped searching for them in California and finally found my mother and aunt living with my grandmother who was listed as divorced. My step-grandfather was listed as single and still living with his parents and some younger siblings. All this helped me find them in the right state and also pinpoint futher as to when George and Lucy may have gotten married. Marriage certificate here I come.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy