Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Afrigeneas.com at AAHGS
In Response To: Re: Afrigeneas.com at AAHGS ()

Thanks,
to piggy back on this..Many of us Afrigeneas members, give talks at different events. You have a better way to even increase getting the word out and showing researchers how to use Afrigeneas, to inhance the search for answers.
How about this..if you are scheduled for 2 presentations about a specific subject, make the second class about each research websites online, that you use and go into debt.

a. examples of the best way to post queries
b. to catch a persons eye, what to say in the body of your posting
c. when and if to post a profile and what not to say(I personally refuse to give profiles. I noticed a picture I posted or information I gave, shows up in places, I never used)
d. And above all explain what Afrigeneas is about.

I try, whenever I am in the library, but a lot of the websites, I am a member of, are only available if you are at home on your own computer. I don't use laptops. I have enough to secure and lug around. And some libraries and archives will not let you bring in laptops, cameras or wands. Just pencil and paper. I did notice in the last conference I attended, there were handouts from our local library, giving information about internet connections, wi fi I believe. So maybe research sites like...
Heritagequest and Afrigeneas can be used on the individuals laptops, anywhere. As you can tell, I am not that computer literate.
I have been on the library computer and pulled up Afrigeneas, in the past, but you know there is a time limit to use those computers. You can only look but not post.
It just has to be a way to 'SHOW AND TELL'. We all can do this, and really explain it. Remember when you were just starting? I have also asked some senior researchers who successfully found family, years ago. Afrigeneas at that time was still a baby. This particular lady definely did not feel it was worth her while. We here, are only as good as the people who come into the forums, and offer up their ideas and updated info. My favorites box is filled with these sites, posted here and I would have never known about it. I mean..what website can you go to, post a 'HELP' and somebody steps up and talks back to in a timely manner. I mean really, I have had questions come to me in the a.m. I don't worry about calling somebody and disturbing them--I post it on one of these Forums on Afrigeneas.

====I was looking through my schedule booklet and reminded of--always get there earlier. Well by this I mean I had downloaded the schedule for a upcoming conference and decided what classes I was interested in. Got there, in what I thought was plenty of time, checked in and sat down to get organized. Well the class I wanted to go to was being taught by Janis Minor Forte', right at that moment. I read my schedule wrong. I don't like to walk into classes at the close end of it. What's the point. I have already missed important stuff. Mz Forte', from Chicago, Il had a lot of information to give, I AM TOLD, about Digital Library on American Slavery. I missed it.
Her email, according to the bio. is
fortejm@yahoo.com. Google her name.
Perhaps she can let you know when and where she will speak next. She has published some books. Lordy! I wish they had taped those sessions. I would have bought this one.=====

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy