Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: FAMILY HISTORY MONTH CHALLENGE #3

This family photo contains the only picture we have of my paternal grandmother. My dad is the babe in arms and his mother died later that year.

This was a third marriage for each of my grandparents. His children are to the left of the picture, hers to the right, theirs in front of them. The tall male behind grandpa is his son from his first marriage; the male with the book is his son from his 2nd marriage who has a sister not in the picture. Their mother died 3 weeks after her birth, and she was taken in by her maternal uncle and his wife, raised as their child, officially adopted at age 8.

To the right are three daughters from my grandmother's first marriage. The girl at the far right is a cousin to her daughters, and is not my relative. Grandma has a daughter from her 2nd marriage who is not in the picture.

The three across the front, at their knees, etc., along with my father, are the children from this marriage.

To make my genealogical life more interesting, Grandpa's first son is related to Grandma's daughter from her 2nd marriage. And both are distantly related to me on my mother's side through this same connection.

After the death of my grandmother, Grandpa married again, and that wife raised the youngest four children plus my grandfather's son by his 2nd wife. Grandma had no relatives in the area as she was from a "distant" community, in another county. Her daughter from her 2nd marriage was living with HER father's people. The three girls from her first marriage were farmed out among their father's family members in the community.

Apparently, the fourth wife was a mean stepmother to everyone except my father who was "her" baby and could do no wrong. My grandfather's 2nd son injured his knee when he was 10 years old, and subsequently lost his leg below the knee. She apparently was really mean to him, would knock his crutch out from under him...... Since my father was her "prince" and my sister and I were in her favor too, but never knew we were the "golden children" when we were growing up.

The family story is that the picture was taken by an itinerant photographer who happened by just as the children arrived home from school. The little boy to the left with his hand outspread was called from inside the house and has syrup on his fingers. Interestingly, the boy with the book grew up to be a teacher. And everybody in the family knew the "story."

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy