AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum
Re: New to Genealogy
In Response To: New to Genealogy ()
Speaking for myself, and I am sure, others here at Afrigeneas, great to have you on board. Here are somethings, however, that I need to warn you about as you get into this new hobby of yours:
1. It will become addictive.
2. You will ask total strangers where their people are from.
3. You will know more about certain towns than the actual inhabitants of the town.
4. If you are like me, you will scream every time you see a cemetary next to a black church and force your spouse to pull over so that you can record gravestone data.
5. You will spend hours upon hours looking for one person only to give up in frustration telling yourself that it does not matter, that is until the next day, when you spend hours upon hours looking for that same person all over again.
6. You will suddenly have an appreciation for old photos.
7. You will start conversations with people over 80 everywhere you go just so that you can press them for more info and they will love telling you their stories.
8. You will holla out loud at the Library of VA or your local library and totally embarrass yourself when you finally find that long lost person from number 5.
9. Your family will start sending you emails because not only genealogy addictive but it is contagious and now they will want you to trace their direct line.
10. When reading the daily newspaper, the first section that you turn to is the obituary section.
I could go on and on but needless to say, in the immortal words of Rufus and Chaka Khan, "once you get started, oh it's hard to stop"
If you have any questions or need any help, everyone here is great about helping and sharing info.