Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

digital archives

took a look at the digital archives at http://library.uncg.edu/slavery/index.

discovered that in 1847, Anderson Lipscomb (slave) had stabbed a slave named Daniel while walking back from a (religious?) meeting, and after having an argument. I will be ordering a copy of the record to get other information. This is the same Anderson Lipscomb that (slaveholder)William Lipscomb was planning to leave half interest in his mill to. Anderson lived till after 1880, so I guess the matter was resolved favorably in his favor. It was also startling to find that one of the slaves, who is on a distant branch of my tree, Frank Ray, had an owner that was a FPOC. Frank Ray married Jane Lipscomb(b 1832), the oldest daughter of Peter Lipscomb(b 1810). Also found one of my third cousin's gggrandfather Phill Lipscomb was owned by a FPOC by the name of Pool. I believe he was the son of one of his other slaves from the Lipscomb plantation (Peter-named above), and I am looking for the proof. John Lipscomb, son of William, purchased Phill during a probate sale in 1857 of his FPOC owner's property.
This was an eye opener.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy