Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Donating Your School Memories
In Response To: Donating Your School Memories ()

You know, I don't want to make you guys jealous, but the High School I graduated from is still there. I was a star. My mother moved to New York from Miami, Florida, and they initially wanted to place me in a much lower grade because the New York School system deemed my education in a Southern school to be lacking. My mother went to bat for me, and I ended up being placed in the appropriate grade level.

I wrote articles for the school newspaper, and fought off racism [in one class a white student touched me when the teacher was talking about the 'untouchable' class in India - my prompt response was to whack him with my notebook which made a loud resounding sound, but I didn't get into trouble because no one responded when the teacher asked what that was about].

Remember the Dewey Decimal System? I learned it by working in the school office. Sigh. The memories. I must say, however, that the racism was not predominant since my first year of attendance was the first year of integration of that high school. I think the 'whites' were still in shock, and were slow to react as a result. [Imagine a black kid coming from a segregated Southern school environment and joining an 'integrated' Northern school environment where she was one of about nine black pupils.]

I used to have copies of the school newspapers in which my articles appeared as well as other school memento. I am chicken to ask the school if they still have the records.

Honestly, I don't know how to word such a letter. Suggestions?

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy