Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Unrepsonsive Relatives

Guys: I don't expect an answer to my issue - just wanted to vent.

I began my research in late 1999. In 1987 I attended a family reunion and met relatives I had not known. In 2001, my immediate relatives began an annual family reunion on our paternal side. In 2004 on a visit back home, I had dinner with classmates from my graduating class, one of whom was rumored to be "related" to to my family. Her brother was on the 1987 reunion committee. After I retuned home and looked into my files, I emailed the woman that in my family research I had discovered that we had "common ancestors." No response. When I first began researching, I contacted a distant cousin because I had been told that he had researched our common paternal line. He said he would see what he had and let me know. That was the end of it. Late last year, he moved back to NC and had a family gathering at his home (some of my first cousins had gone to school with him and his sibblings and didn't know that they were related, but the other set of first cousins did, so both sets attended.) In October, I met his sister at my aunt's funeral; I decided to contact him again. Since then, I have called and talked to him. I sent him a descendant report via email about two weeks ago and phoned him that I had. He promised to look over the list and fill in any blanks. No respose as of yet, but I am still hopeful because over the years, I have been in touch with his mother who helped me piece the family together.

A couple of days ago, while cleaning out old papers I came across a 1990 memo to the Stewart Reunion committee - sent by "Sug" but I didn't know who he was. One of the persons cc'd on the list was the unresponsive schoolmate/relative. I mentioned this list and the nickname to a cousin today and "Sug" is the cousin whose gathering they had attended last year, the cousin who supposedly has done research on our family and the one that I sent the descendant list to -- and the woman who ignored my email was on the 1990 reunion committee. So, when I emailed her regarding my findings, she already knew we are related - and when we met for dinner with our classmates - she already knew we are related. I ain't trying to claim kin with folks who don't want to be kin but a simple acknowledgement would suffice. I am not "friends" with all of my relatives - we acknowledge and wish each other well but we only see each other at family reunions and funerals.

I don't want anything from these people - but it would be nice to fill in the blanks and they may have information that would lead me to find answers. Oh well, maybe I will call Sug again -- but only once more. But then again, the family joke is that "all the Stewart's are curious" and I can vouch for that.

Thanks for listening.

Alice

P.S. Just occured to me: I don't know whether there was a Stewart reunion in 1990 - perhaps in the future there will be two separate Stewart reunions. For now, I will concentrate on the descendants of my grandparents.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy