Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Panel Suggests Brown U. Atone for Ties to Slavery

Lee,
I am hoping that it was just a misrepresentation of what Brown University actually said. I don't want to believe that a respected college would actually think that they can by-pass the people in our own country and "reach out" to some foreign country as restitution for what was done to our people in the past. While it may sound to some like, well, Africa is where all of the slaves originally came from, and yeah, some of them were brought to the West Indies, so why not offer something to them? That particular idea ignores the fact that the ones still in Africa weren't brought here as slaves, and while some of their ancestors may have been those that did go to the U.S. as slaves, it is still the African Americans who are here right now who are more likely to have been directly affected. With so many problems in this country with our young people not getting the proper and necessary education here because of the circumstances right here in the U.S., you would think any help would be initiated towards them rather than talking about going outside this country.

Deloris

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy