Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Skip Gates ...Discovering His Roots

Dear Art:

Your observation and analysis of Skip Gates' possible ancestors is awe-inspiring. I say this to underline the necessity for family researchers to "cast a wide net" as Del Jupiter advises us. Your analysis reminds us to look at other families, both black and white, make historical comparisons, and understand the history of the eras in which these families lived.

You and so many of the Afrigeneas family of researchers often overshadow the work of recognized genealogists because of your years of dedicated study. I do hope that all of us continue to mirror the same research standards.

In the New York Times article Gates wrote:

"OF course, it is perfectly irrelevant, in one sense, what one’s ancestors did two centuries ago; but re-imagining our past, as Americans, can sometimes help us to re-imagine our future. In doing so, it may help to understand that the founding of this Republic was not only red, white and blue, it was also indelibly black."

I totally agree with his sentiments in the context of the above paragraph. I just wish that he had chosen a different beginning sentence. "...it is perfectly irrelevant, in one sense, what one’s ancestors did two centuries ago;"

What our African American ancestors did two centuries ago...or later is Always relevant. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs. I readily admit that my comments are influenced by Afrigeneas' family researchers and historians who have always connected our ancestors to every important era in American history.

Thanks for your observations.

K Wyer Lane

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy