Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

DRED SCOTT'S WIFE-HARRIET found

I'm sure everyone has heard about Dredd Scott and why he sued for his freedom. Ultimately he won but only lived 9 month's after freedom was granted. Dred Scott died of tuberculosis. Well behind every great man is a great woman. No one really talks about Mrs Harriet Robinson Scott. In the St Louis Post Dispatch Metro Section, a genealogy librarian, decided to find her. The search led Ruth Ann Hager, the St Louis Genealogy Librarian at St Louis County Library to, burial records. After 130 years after her death we now know Harriet was buried in Greenwood Cemetary in Hillsdale Mo, not next to her husband, who was interred in a very well kept cemetary named Calvary. Her grave had been found 3 years ago by another small group but information was not given out. Rescuing the cemetary became more important. Harriet still has descendants in St Louis and they now know, where she is located, because of Ruth Hagers efforts. Now it's Harriet's time to be remembered and not forgotton. GREENWOOD Cemetary. Does that name seem familiar to you. In my search for family that name has been the name of black cemetaries in many states. Our Greenwood was not well kept. Some volunteers came together to clear and document lost graves. But work still needs to be done. Mrs Dred Scott's exact spot is not yet known. It is felt that Harriett Scott was the driving force behind Dred persuing freedom. Harriet Robinson Scott was past 60 years at death. 'Her grave cost $5 in 1876(one of the more expensive ones)'.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy