Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Henry, brother of JOSHUA COMPTON

THANK YOU for all the help finding information on Henry W. Compton's black family --
re his older son, Joshua Compton, I was given a lot of possible information, however, no information at all on his younger brother Henry Compton. Since brother Henry is not listed with the Henry Compton (Male White) family and the mother and children who were all listed as mullato in the 1870 Davidson Nashville Ward 10 census ... PERHAPS there was no Henry ... AND PERHAPS the younger brother William, who is listed, was mistakenly said to be named Henry in the Tennessee Historical Quarterly, Hillsboro Pike area, pages 80-83. The history was given verbally by longtime residents and family, so it is possible there was no younger brother named Henry in that family.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find papers/notes/minutes from the time that Joshua Compton was a magistrate of the Davidson County Court(1883-1895, serving 12 years) and Assistant Tax Collector days? It was unusual for the times for a black/mulatto man to serve on the court, so it would seem there would be newspaper writings or something of his service to the court?

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy