Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Midwives Exhibit

Related Exhibition: Reclaiming Midwives: Pillars of Community Support

November 13, 2005 - April 2, 2006

Anacostia Museum & Center for African American History & Culture

Free; but reservations suggested, call 202-633-4844

Historian Linda Holmes conducts a tour of Reclaiming Midwives, an exhibition celebrating the rich history of African American midwives and the unique roles they played in the health of child-bearing women. The exhibition features vintage photos by Robert Galbraith, 85, whose work has appeared in Life magazine.

This exhibit centers on midwives and their impact on the community. My great-grand aunt Katie Harris Martin was a midwive who apprenticed Ms. Elvira Barrow Martin. I know very little about Aunt Katie, except that she was the midwife for my father, James Harris and his sister, Lillie Bell Harris-Howard. You can read more about Ms. Elvira at this link: http://www.dollsgen.com/elvirastory.htm. As a contributor to this exhibit, I was able to provide a small bio on Katie as well as a picture of my father and Aunt. Also, pictures of my brother, Lister Steve Harris and my sister, Dorothy Jean Harris whose midwife was Ms. Elvira. The reception for this exhibit will be held December 4, 2005, which I hope to attend.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy