Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Early Kentucky Marriage Record Index?

Greetings All~

I am wondering if anyone knows of either a book or on-line avenue that may have an index of marriages occurring in Kentucky between 1880 and 1882.

I have no clue as to what county this marriage would've taken place.

I am trying to locate information on my 3nd great grandmother Leva (Clark) (Jones) Nicholas.

What I know is sketchy at best. I've been retracing the steps of a cousin who did some research years ago, but didn't document a single thing and also, based on what I have read (and retraced with documentation or the lack thereof), tended to take what family members told her as gospel without substantiating the most of it. Okay, I digress, back to the issue hand.

Okay, I'll try to not be confussing with my limited information.

1. In July of 1883, Leva (aka Leavy, Lina, Levia) married Carter NICHOLAS in Will County, Illinois.

2. Carter was her third marriage. The information on the Illinois State Archives index lists Leva as Mrs. Leva (Clark) JONES. I have no idea when this marriage (the one to the mystery JONES) would have occurred, and am guessing that it occurred in Kentucky based on the fact that her daugter, Louisa (aka Ollie) was born in Kentucky in 1880 (one of four children Leva had with her first husband, Alvan CLARK).

3. I know that Leva (Whose maiden surname was CLARK) had a relationship with an Alvan CLARK that produced four children (according to the 1880 census, Alvan and Leva were husband and wife). The eldest of which was born ~1875, the youngest of which was born in 1880; Leva's second relationship, apparantly a marriage was to a man by with the surname of JONES (as is stated in the Illinois State Archives Index, I'm still awaiting the record via mail); Leva's third relationship was with husband Carter NICHOLAS.

4. What I am trying to determine is: Just who is the mystery JONES that was her second relationship and how can I determine this information?

If you've finished reading this, you're a brave soul and seemingly not easily confussed by my ramblings! Any thoughts on where and how to obtain information on Leva's marriages to the mystery JONES man and to Alvan CLARK (if one was offically recorded) will be most helpful. I know nothing of Alvan CLARK except his name.

I have Leva in census records for 1920, 1910, 1900 (in Washington State), 1880 (in Kentucky) and in 1870 (in Kentucky) with the George and Nancy CLARK that were said by the above mentioned cousin to have been Leva's parents (again, I am retracing her steps--she died quite some years ago and supposedly, no one has the information she is said to have amassed, so I can't talk with her and look at information she collected).

Yet again, I ramble on, thanks for reading and for any thoughts of where to look for marriage indexes of early Kentucky marriages.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy