Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Need guidance

Hi,

Next month I shall be going to VA to my sister's fifthieth wedding anniversary renewal of vows. While in VA, I shall like to go to Gainesville, Prince William County. For those of you who have been there, please give me some direction of how to proceed to get some information.

I do believe that in the 1880 census the Thomas in the household of Henry JACKSON is my grandfather. This I believe because right next door is listed an Elizabeth living in the household of Margaret CORUM. My grandmother's maiden name is CORAM/CORUM. Therefore, I believe that Thomas JACKSON and Elizabeth CORAM/CORUM met there and later married. I don't know whether they got married thorugh a civil process or if this was a common-law marriage.

What I want to know is where to go to find out if there is a marriage certificate. I have no idea what date(s) to ask for, nor in which department. Would the county carry vital records or do I have to apply directly to the state? I plan to go to Gainesville--if such a trip is advised--between Nov. 14 and 18.

Hal

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy