Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: North Carolina Birth Records at Ancestry

One of the things I've noticed about this Index is that it isn't all inclusive. If you do a search for a particular name, lots of times nothing or the wrong person comes up. I don't think their search engine is perfected yet for this project, but what I have done, is try the name of another relative with the surname from the same area I am looking for, and presto, up comes the page for that surname. When I go to the page & year, that's when I find who I'm looking for. For instance, looking for John Davis, up pops hits for that name. The counties are not always listed on the pages for some reason, but the townships are, and that seems to have been what some of the Ancestry transcribers filed the names under instead of the county. So, someone expecting to find a person in Warren County, won't necessarily find them in a search.
But when all is said and done, I'm applauding this database, I've got lots of data from this one now, and I'm enjoying it.
By the way, I did a search for my own name, it took me a while, but I was totally shocked at the spelling of my name, it's worse than my actual birth certificate, which thank goodness I already have. The spelling isn't Ancestry's fault, though, it was the clerk in my birth County who couldn't type. My descendants will never find me in those records.

Deloris

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy