Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: We Are The Chosen
In Response To: Re: We Are The Chosen ()

Yolanda,

I would love to speak with your Godmother. Email me privately with her number and I will happily give her a call.

My North Carolina Petteways were John, my great grandfather, and Julian, his brother--no other siblings are known.

Outward bound Slave Manifest from New Orleans to Galveston on 11-21-1846 lists John and Julian (first names only ---17 and 15 years respectively)as slaves of a James Boyd Hawkins of North Carolina. Ages closely matched the ages of John and Julian on the 1870 Census for Matagorda County, Texas. John and Julian were both listed on the 1867 Voter Registration List for Texas as having been born in NC and living on the plantation of James B. Hawkins--both having been in Texas for about 22 years(about the same time that James B. Hawkins arrived in Texas).

Now, this is not definitive, but how close can one get? On the 1870 census, John was 45 and Julian was 40. Using the ages on the manifest, that would make John 41 in 1870 and Julian, 39!!

Julian went back to Fork Township, North Carolina(Warren County)with John's daughter Nettie by John's firt wife. No information yet linking him to Petteways in Warren County) Julian was found on the census there for 1900. Julian had no children and I have yet to find a death certificate for him or John who died ~1913 in Texas.

Finally, no information yet found in the Hawkins Papers in the Southern Historical Collection at UNC.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy