Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: We Are The Chosen
In Response To: We Are The Chosen ()

My passion for genealogy started on a whim. I actually did not know who my father's people were nor did I know the names of the great grands, etc. I didn't know the names of my mother's great grands either.

From December 1946 to August 2004, a sister and two brothers did not have an inkling as to where the other one was. My passion got more than serious when I decided to find the long, lost sister of my dad. They had been apart for 58 years, and it took me almost 7 years to find her, but that would not have been done without the desire and passion to find out what the sister's destination was (whether it be dead or alive). And ALIVE was the destination.

I take what I do very seriously. I take the ups and the downs as part of life. I take the good, the bad and the ugly as just a part of the unraveling history of my families. There's nothing in life that is always sweet.

I have no idea who will pick up the torch when I'm gone, but I do know that I will continue to do all that I can do until that time. When I see one of my surnames, I always wonder, "Ummm, I wonder where are they from?" When my daughter had to do a family tree this year for school, all she had to do was put the names in place. Her tree turned out to be one of the most impressive ones in the class. Also, this gave her an opportunity to see a bit of genealogy. This school year that will have to do one to the farthest generation they can go.

Your family members sometimes pretend like they don't know what you're doing, but they call you when they need to look up "anything" on the web. They think because you found information for your family history, you can find anything else. (Which is true sometimes with me) :-)

I would love to do genealogy full time, but that won't pay the bills (especially my internet service) :-)

I did not have any photos of my dad's family until last August. I now have a picture of my deceased grandmother, and photos of two of her living sisters. Before the end of the summer I will be receiving a photo of my dad's grandparents. It's their wedding photo. She is 14 and he is 27. I found two of my dad's first cousin a couple of years ago. I met them last year and before the end of the summer my dad will get to meet them. My cousin will then bring a copy of the photo to us. I can't wait. He says that he has seen the photo at his aunt's house since he was a child and decided last month to ask her if he could take it and make copies.

I feel I am chosen and I thank God.

Regina

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy