AfriGeneas Writers Forum
The Writer Short Story Contest
The Writer Short Story Contest
Prizes: $1,000, first place; $300, second place; $200, third place.
The first-place entry, along with the finalist judge's comments, will be published in The Writer magazine. All three winning entries will be posted on The Writer Web site, www.writermag.com.
2. All entries must be original and previously unpublished in a book,
3. Entries should not exceed 2,000 words. No explicit sex or violence.
4. Entries must be double-spaced in standard 10- to 12-point type, and each page must be consecutively numbered. Please paperclip pages together; do not staple or enclose in covers or binders.
5. A $10 nonrefundable entry fee, payable to The Writer, must accompany each entry. Please do not send cash in the mail. Entries will not be returned, so be sure to keep a copy for your records. We are unable to acknowledge entries.
6. One person may submit more than one entry, but each entry must be
7. Winners will be notified by Sept. 30, 2007.
8. Family members and employees of The Writer and its affiliates are not eligible to enter the contest.
How to submit
Download the entry form at the website. To request a form by mail, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
Send two (2) copies of your story, along with the completed entry form or cover page and total entry fee ($10 per entry). Payment must accompany all entries.
Address entries to: Short Story Contest, The Writer, P.O. Box 1612, Waukesha,
The Writer Short Story Entry form
The Tennessee Writers Alliance Creative Nonfiction Award
First Prize $500
For full guidelines, visit http://www.tn-writers.org/contest07g1.htm
The first, second, and third prizewinner will be selected from a short list of finalists. Honorable mentions will be named at judges' discretion. Cash awards and certificates will be announced at our conference in June 2007. The judge this year is Richard Goodman, author of French Dirt: The Story of a Garden in the South of France and a contributor to The AWP Writer's Chronicle, the New
1. The contest is open to all writers with the exception of board members, contest committee members, or staff of the Tennessee Writers Alliance.
2. All submissions must be original and unpublished. All entries must be typed, double-spaced, on one side of white 8 1/2 X 11 inch paper. No simultaneous submissions. (See the FAQ on our site about this.) Secure pages with staples.
3. Creative nonfiction should not exceed 3,000 words.
4. Each piece of writing submitted will be considered as a separate entry.
5. Submit two copies of entry, plus one separate cover sheet with the title, author's name, address, e-mail, and phone number. The author's name MUST NOT appear anywhere except the cover sheet.
6. An entry fee must accompany each entry: $10 for TWA members; $15 for non-members.
Entries that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified, and the entry fee will NOT be refunded. We regret that we cannot acknowledge the receipt of entries without a self-addressed, stamped postcard sent with entry, nor can
All entries must be postmarked no later than February 28, 2006.