- Pocket Genealogist 3 Released
Northern Hills software has just announced version 3, a major new release of
the Pocket Genealogist.
Pocket Genealogist is a genealogy program that runs on Windows Mobile devices
such as Pocket PCs. It can directly import RootsMagic files, so it isn't
necessary to use GEDCOM to transfer your data from RootsMagic to Pocket
Note 1: You must already own a Pocket PC device to run Pocket Genealogist.
Note 2: Pocket Genealogist does not work on Palm devices (unless the Palm
device runs the Windows Mobile operating system).
For more information about Pocket Genealogist, visit:
New features in Pocket Genealogist version 3 include:
* Added a relationship calculator to allow you to determine the
relationship between two individuals. (Currently limited to 10
generations and does not support step/half relationships)
* Created a new item called "Research Lists". Research lists can be used
to group Individuals, Families, Sources or Repositories into a list of
your choosing. (Such as "Further Research" or "Bookmark" or "To Do").
* Changed "New Unlinked Individual" to "Add Person" (Which will now allow
you to add children, spouses, parents, siblings)
* Added GPS support (Windows Mobile 5 only) - ability to retrieve current
coordinates for places (Depends if your desktop program supports
coordinates at those levels) Allow retrieval of coordinates into a
* Changed the font sizes for PocketPC VGA devices to more closely match the
text for the rest of the device and added the ability to change the font
on all devices. Different size fonts can be selected for the 3-gen and
Tree Views, Lists and Edit Fields.
* Redesigned the desktop interface for Pocket Genealogist. The main screen
now shows all databases you have created and allows you to select one
from the list to do imports/exports/synchronizations, etc. You can now
also resize most desktop screens and the width and order of columns of
the "lists" can now be "saved". (It automatically will remember the list
settings) The "Create" function has the most changes including the
ability to search for the type of file you are importing and when you
select a import type (GEDCOM, RootsMagic, etc.) from a different location
on your desktop than the previous import of that type, it will prompt if
you want to save that new location as the "default".
* Better support for Windows Mobile 5 devices.
* Changes made to increase performance over Version 2.
* Increased the maximum # of records per "Table" from 262144 to 393216.
Large databases work fairly well once synchronized to the device although
the "Find by" functions can be extremely slow.
* Added new prompt during install for Windows Mobile 5 devices to allow
setting of the new ActiveSync (RAPI) security policy which was preventing
* Added "Soft" and "Hard" reset commands (under "Tools", "Devices"). A
"Soft" reset is like a reboot whereas a "Hard" reset will wipe out all
data and programs you have installed putting the device back to how it
was when you first purchased it. ("Soft" and "Hard" resets may not work
with all devices)
* Added "Format" command (under "Tools", "Devices") for storage cards.
This should work with PocketPC's and HPC/2000 devices.
* Added "Individual View". Note: this "View" can be slow with anything
other than small databases.