AfriGeneas at the Movies
Re: Top Black Films
In Response To: Top Black Films ()
I'm dating myself but I would add to those that have already been listed:
- Black Orpheus (1959). I first saw it in high school. All the guys I knew were madly in love with (er, lusting after) Marpessa Dawn
- Daughters of the Dust (1991). Julie Dash's masterpiece. I didn't really like it (but can't remember why) when I first saw the film but it has grown on me over the years. Beautiful cinematography.
- The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980). Set in South Africa. Was never sure whether its wry tone was intentional or not. Made a star of leading actor, Nixau.
- Glory (1989). Morgan Freeman, Andre Braugher and Denzel were all standouts. Who can forget Denzel's glower during his whipping?
- The Brother from Another Planet (1984). Starring the excellent and underrated, Joe Morton.
Gosh, I'm really starting to feel . . . well, old . . . so I'll add a contemporary favorite to the list:
- Something New (2006). Smokin' chemistry between Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker. Whew! Where's my fan?
This has been fun. I'll think of some more.