Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-25

*SatNiteChat

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:01:12
End: 22:41:06
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, keli1, Khathu, Selma, statustray, vkn

statustray: Greetings jhonora

jhonora: Evening statustray

statustray: am I late?

jhonora: No you're on time. I have a hard time keeping track also. I'm on Central Time.

statustray: Oh ok. Thanks for the info ;-) Me.... I'm on eastern. It's about 9pm for me.

jhonora: Any new discoveries?

statustray: No, not really. What about with you?

jhonora: None here, just preparing for lectures later this month.

statustray: Nice indeed ;)

jhonora: It's fun. I always bring a written text and end up not using it.

statustray: Hi there daviss.

jhonora: Evening daviss

daviss: hello jhonora and statustray

statustray: Do you do a lot of presentations jhonora?

daviss: Hows everyone research going?

jhonora: I do about two a year, but I have one panel and two lectures all this month.

statustray: It's going alright daviss. Still lots of holes, but yet lots of ppl too ;-)

jhonora: Going well, daviss, how about yourself?

daviss: thats a good thing statustray :)

statustray: Yup, I agree daviss ;-)

daviss: Nothing on my family. doing blogs on folks I know rather on their lines hello 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: hello daviss jhonora and status..tray hehe

jhonora: Evening 3rdthawkins

statustray: Hey there 34rdthawkins

daviss: How have you been 3rd.. couple folks been asking about you

3rdthawkins: been doing good daviss, thx

daviss: statustray I posted a couple blogs on the writers forum

statustray: Oh yeah?

daviss: The last one I posted I found out the family was chickashaw freedman Lots of good stuff

statustray: Interesting indeed! ;-)

daviss: I thought so lol I may be more excited than the family Anything new with you 3rd? vkn posted a new search engine, did you all try it out yet?

statustray: daviss: I sure hadn't. Didn't realize there was/is one.

daviss: she found an article concerning her Bell family. She may still be floating on cloud 9

3rdthawkins: not really daviss, just ordered a few records for my paternal grandparents

daviss: which records was that 3rd

3rdthawkins: I spoke wiht my grandmother's niece last nite, she shared some photos with me, one of which may or may not have my grandmother in it. But it is of her mother, her mother's sister, and another sister who may be my grandmother or my grandmother's other sister death daviss

daviss: That is a gem 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: you talk about looking white, these girls look white, not Sandra Huxtable or Denise Huxtable white, but white women you would see in a 1940s or 1950s black and white movie

daviss: where they from SC

3rdthawkins: no, New YOrk, but they lived in South Carolina only one of my grandmother's sisters did not look white, she was darker than the others

daviss: thats the beauty of us 3rd we come in a beauty of all colors meant to say rainbow of colors

3rdthawkins: Im thinking its not my grandmother because it was only three inthe pic and my gm must have been in D.C. at that time raising her kids and passing for white. If my grandmother was there, it would have been four inthe pic, only three, including a little girl, possibly my grandmother's sister's. oh yeah, speaking of white, the Death Certificate lists her as White hello Selma

daviss: hello Selma

Selma: Evening everyone

statustray: Hey there Selma ;)

jhonora: Evening Selma

daviss: hello Selma! Who was the informant 3rd Selma did you make the conference?

Selma: Yep...did you watch the webcam?

3rdthawkins: her daughter, my aunt

daviss: no, something came up selma! didn't her daughter know the truth 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: possibly, but it asks who the decedent consider themselves as, also, it may have been marked by someone else who just looked at my grandmother. She looks like a white woman

daviss: Alt and I discussed it yesterday Selma and I think he was going to watch The death certificate says that! wow

3rdthawkins: yep

Selma: That is what the form said 3rd...who did the decedent cosider themselves as?

daviss: What state is that again and what year 3rd

3rdthawkins: it would be interested to see what my grandfather's says, I wonder, Native American, it asks for tribe also Florida daviss 2005

daviss: wow! that is a strange question

3rdthawkins: Selma the death certificate says white for my grandmother the one who passed for white

Selma: Yes, I saw what you wrote...I just thought it interesting question to appear on the form

3rdthawkins: it says more than one race can be specified, but only white was

daviss: I am not being funny but not even in death will the truth be told

3rdthawkins: marked

daviss: did your aunt who was the informant pass also 3rd

3rdthawkins: no, I think she is still living, I have a marriage certificate of hers from 2008 this is the one who I thought was part of a white supremacist church

Selma: Oh is this the one who married the white supremists

keli1: good evening cousins!

daviss: hello keli1 :}

jhonora: Evening keli1

3rdthawkins: well, I'm not quite sure of that Selma, haven't confirmed it. It seems the church is not what I thought it was. The white supremacist church that had the name had to change it. So now a universal love church has the name that is pastored by a woman who married my aunt and her husgand hello kel1 keli1

keli1: howdy!

daviss: is this aunt passing also 3rd

Selma: Keli, keli, keli...thinking of you today...just found book on my shelf of FN Register for Loudoun County 1844-1861

3rdthawkins: well daviss, not sure if she is passing, she grew up to view herself as white. So that's all she knows

keli1: you did, wonderful...any Goings in it?

Selma: Well it might be a good idea if you don't go to visit unexpectantly 3rd

daviss: Oh ok 3rd

3rdthawkins: uh, yeah Selma lol

daviss: lol

Selma: Lewis, Mary and Mary Catherine Goings..are these yours Plus Gowan and Gowen GOWAN...Amanda, Martha Ann, Thomas H. Madison

keli1: is it a lot of them?

Selma: GOWEN.. Amanda, Anna Augusta, Caleb, Charles, John William,

keli1: both of those spellings do connect are you going to be in Maryland?

Selma: Joseph Conrad, Martha, Martha Ann, Susan V. and Thomas H. Yep..going to MD

jhonora: I have recently been trying to track down families that moved to California and Chicago. It is so hard, they don't do extensive obituaries.

Selma: Which names connect

keli1: can you bring it with you, or at least copys.. I am not sure which ones connect at this time

daviss: Have you tried the Los Angeles Sentinel for DC announcements jhonora

keli1: hola' ARt

alt: hello all,

daviss: hi there alt!

alt: 3rd, daviss, jhonora, keli1 & Selma

3rdthawkins: hello alt

jhonora: Yes, daviss, they only covered people of standing.

keli1: Selma, sorry I see you on the schedule, so we will see each other

jhonora: Evening alt.

Selma: Lewis (son of Mary) ,,15yrs old, 4 ft 11 inches, dark mulatto, several small dark spots and marks on his face FRee born as per testemony of Susan A. LOVE I will make copies keli

daviss: what year jhonora and name

Selma: I'll bring the book...you better remind me

keli1: thanks, oh by the way our AAHGS chapter of Central VA was approved

Selma: Congrats keli

daviss: wonderful keli1 !

keli1: yea it was nice to hear back on that, we had a meeting today and presentation, so the group was grinning....even though I think I am the only one attending the conference

Selma: Alt..did you watch the civil war conference?

keli1: but that is okay, I will represent!

alt: I forgot about it Selma. the schedules looked exciting too... How was it?

Selma: You can still watch it is on line... http://www.virginiacivilwar.org/2010conference.php

daviss: that was my next quedtion sel question oops

alt: oh, okay... I notified Bennie, he watched most of it and said he enjoyed it.

Selma: It was very good The consensus was the WAR was all about Slavery

alt: I saw the slide show .. it was excellent.

jhonora: Have to run y'all

Selma: See you

alt: later young'un

daviss: I see your Gov changed his mind about Confederates Day lol

Selma: He must have a date...it is as it should be

alt: I wanted to see what Spencer Crew, ira Belrin & James McPherson had to say.

Selma: Umm... You can watch them alt...it is online and will be on the history channel and CSPAN at some point

keli1: what did her governor do?

daviss: changed to Civil War or something like that

alt: okay

Selma: He apoligized....supposedly, I can assure you I did not clap..

keli1: are they online now?

Selma: Yes..I just posted the line above

alt: specer was here at the museum at Wilberforce and also at the Nat'l UGRR museum in Cincy.

Selma: I thought of you when the presented Spencer

3rdthawkins: hello kahthu

Khathu: hello everyone

Selma: Evening Khathu

alt: Hello Khathu

keli1: hi Khathu

daviss: hello khathu!

keli1: my daddy attended Wilberfore and didn't finish, he was drafted

alt: Khathu, will the PP help you with your family reunion presentation?

Khathu: absolutely alt....thank you

alt: I stha right keli1, for WW II? yw Khathu, glad I could help

keli1: yep ww2

daviss: Did you know a Carswell alt that went to Wilberforce/

alt: don't think so daviss, what years would they have been there?

daviss: not sure but he would be around 75 or so now.. He was our choir directors father She told me his first name but I forgot lol

alt: okay, my age then... I was on the campus at CSU and only got over to the Wilberforce side to 'check the chicks' LOL LOL

Selma: LOL

daviss: lol lol lol

Selma: Figures

alt: I was sho nuff checking those out Selma LOL

keli1: hi vkn

vkn: hey hey hey

alt: hello vkn.. have you landed yet?

daviss: hello vkn! lol @ alt

3rdthawkins: hello vkn

vkn: lol feet on ground alt

Selma: Evening vkn

alt: that was some find!!!!! good stuff!!!

vkn: It was/is wonderful

keli1: where were you vkn?

vkn: finding letters in family written 1874 keli1

daviss: she was on cloud nine keli lol

vkn: cloud 18

alt: keli1, I see you've made the connection with Denise on Loudoun Co., VA ... good people and very knowledgable.

keli1: lol, Selma's Governor McDonnell was at Norfolk State, isn't that an HSBU and no wonder he was apolizing wow vkn that is wonderful...are you floating....

daviss: oops I saw wee! cloud 18 keli1 lol

vkn: lol

keli1: congrats....that is wonderful, what cha going to do with them....lol

Khathu: have a great evening everyone

alt: and the great thing vkn is that you may get actual copies of the 'original' letters... that's super!!!

keli1: @art, yes I posted to Denise, etc.. I am excited, better yet, now that we supposely connect to Loudoun, I can go back to g7's on that side--

vkn: Indeed alt and it documents famly lore

alt: that's what makes it so wonderful vkn... a hands-on copy that proves what was said.

keli1: but also should connect to Fairfax county as well, since Joseph was born in 1750, it would not of been Loudoun, it would of been Fairfax Co.

vkn: indeed indeed

keli1: yep a primary source vkn has...love it!

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid

daviss: hello Ingrid!

alt: I have a book of Fairfax Co. FPOC's keli1

Selma: Evening Ingrid

alt: ommencing in 1822

vkn: ingrid

alt: hello Ingrid.

vkn: 3rd

keli1: you do, what is the title, etc.. hi Ingrid

vkn: s

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rdthawkins, daviss, alt, Selma, Keli1 & vkn

vkn: daviss selma

daviss: yes vkn!

3rdthawkins: yes vkn?

daviss: :?

vkn: Just calling roll

3rdthawkins: ok, Here!

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry i just missed Khathu.

3rdthawkins: :()

daviss: ohhhhh present

alt: looking for it now keli1.. sumpin bout Free Negro Registers commoncing in 1822

vkn: t my BELLs were always in litigation at the drop of a hat. Lots of papers on that

keli1: it is worth checking, I have not done any research in Northern Va, so it will be new

Selma: When does Loudoun become Loudoun keli?

keli1: 1757 it was broken off from Fairfax

Selma: OK

vkn: alt my BELLs were always in litigation at the drop of a hat. Lots of papers on that

alt: ah so found it... Registration of Free Negroes Commincing September court 1822... I have Book 1822 & 1835 goes from 1822 - 1861

keli1: did you get them from Heritage, so I can order them

vkn: Grandfather Richard was a witness in the divorce case of slaveowner/father in Supreme Court of Alabama

alt: plenty of goings, some Gowen, Gowings

Selma: My Loudoun County book was published by Willow Bend Books in 2000

keli1: Fairfax was huge @Selma...and was told that Loudoun was not a burned county, which I was extremely happy to hear what is the name of yours Selma Selma, are you providing handouts in MD?

Selma: Abstracts of Loudoun County Virginia Register of Free Negroes 1844-1861...she took info from microfilm reel from LVA Patricia B. Duncan Yes..about the handouts

keli1: I just ordered all of Pat's books from Heritage, so that might be one of them

alt: this one was done by History Section Office of Comprehensive Planning Fairfax Co., VA. a governmental book of the two extant volumes 1822-1861

Ingrid_Doweary: Good hunting, folks!

alt: mine has a Pub date of July 1977

keli1: got it Art, thanks, will find out if they are still available...Pat Duncan has contributed a lot of info on Virginia, she is to be commended regardless of selling the books

Selma: Jeez alt..I got that one too.. LOL

daviss: great minds Se;,a!

keli1: she indexed Jefferson County VA/WV as well

daviss: Selma

alt: okay Selma... Anita's folks are in there.. the Honesty's

Selma: My book goes up to 1861 Ok I see the Honesty's

daviss: well night night folks. Time to cruise have a good night

Selma: Night

alt: yep Selma.. great physical descriptions of the individuals HT. WT. Scars, disposition, age, etc.

Selma: That was the point of the register alt..to keep tabs

alt: she starts with Hannah Honesty

vkn: I am gone also. Long day yall be good and happy finding

alt: Sanford Honesty is her 3rd great-grandfather...

Selma: Will check out the entries tomorrow alt..

3rdthawkins: good nite

Selma: Long day for me too folks...Good Nite..

alt: laters y'all

Ingrid_Doweary: Latter

keli1: I am just getting startingm lol oh well I will log out as well, I have lots of stuff to do

Ingrid_Doweary: Well Keli1 I'm here for a little while.

keli1: k

Ingrid_Doweary: All ears Sounds like I missed some good information.

keli1: yes, vkn found 1874 family letters

Ingrid_Doweary: Where did she find them. ?

keli1: not sure

Ingrid_Doweary: How did the FPOC Register tie in with the letters?

keli1: I am updating my research of WW2 I am researching fairfax and loudoun counties, two folks had rference materials

Ingrid_Doweary: How is that working out for you? What were the reference materials?

keli1: Selma and Art had the books, one was by Pat Duncan,

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay, good for you. Any more successes?

keli1: oh for me, major successes...I now can go to g7 on my Goings side

Ingrid_Doweary: g7? Oh is that for generation Seven?

keli1: yep once I found a record for g3, all others fell into place, was able to tap into Paul Heniggn's research on fpc in va, nc, etc

Ingrid_Doweary: I did modify a master list of Family Clan surnames, but I have fallen behind on my readings.

keli1: wonder, what clan?

Ingrid_Doweary: We are talking about a master list of about 35 surnames between my husband and me.

keli1: wonderful!

Ingrid_Doweary: Of course each surname will have to-do-lists and some surnames have about 3-5 names associated with them. So my work is cut out for me. I need to get back to the Cummings of Arkansas with a fellow researcher cousing. cousing=cousin

keli1: each name, girl the whole list will need followup, you know how that goes

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, follow up is always the rule of law.

keli1: that is the work, lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes indeed I guess that's the hint that this session is at end.

keli1: yes it is, enjoy the rest of your evening it will close

Ingrid_Doweary: :) Thank you, you do the same Good night.

keli1: ditto

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy