Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-10

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:49
End: 13:43:15
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AmosNY, AYWalton, daviss, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Stephanie, vkn

3rdthawkins: hello daviss and alt

alt: hi 3rdthawkins & daviss

daviss: hello 3rd and alt!

alt: Y'all ready for the weekend? Football starts for real.

daviss: lol I am ready

3rdthawkins: fo' show' alt

alt: me too y'all

daviss: Sunday it really starts lol lol and hopefully my Ohio player Wells will be ready

3rdthawkins: We (Redskins) have our dream quarterback, and vicky having quarterback problems lol

alt: I hope "beanie" is ready and has a good year for ya daviss

daviss: no quarterback problems for us 3rd we have a quarterback

3rdthawkins: ok, hope he does well, Anderson hate to see the Cardinals go back to their usual selves

daviss: I think he will be playing alt

3rdthawkins: when everything was looking up for them

daviss: do you mean going to the playoffs 3rd lol

3rdthawkins: Super Bowl daviss and winning it

alt: Derek Anderson will look great one game and he'll be terrible the next.. hope for the Cards sake he can be consistent.

3rdthawkins: I have folks in AZ, so definitely rooting for the Cards

daviss: I believe that is the goal, and only two teams can get there

alt: and the Browns will be one of them LOL LOL LOL lOL LOL

3rdthawkins: they sure will alt, right in the stands lol

daviss: I hope so too and behind him when he does falter the rookie Hall will be just as capable

3rdthawkins: gotta get past Peyton Manning and the Colts

daviss: there is an old song that says" sometimes you gotta win, sometimes you gotta lose" which is a fact of life :?

alt: big game here is Saturday .. Ohio State vs Miami.. watch my homeboy for OSU #3 Brandon Saine, he is from Piqua, OH I know his grandparents...gee, am I getting old or what? LOL

3rdthawkins: I don't know, but we will let Peyton Manning and Tom Brady decide that oh, speaking of Ohio alt, I was wondering if you knew Jefferson Thomas?

daviss: shhhhhh 3rd they wont be the one to decide lol

3rdthawkins: he little rock 9

alt: no I didn't know him 3rdthawkins

daviss: That should be a good game alt

alt: I think so daviss

daviss: naww just think about it 3rd

3rdthawkins: oh, they will be daviss........ok alt, I was thinking he had same last name and living in the same state, wondered

daviss: so you are a Redskin fan 3rd?..

alt: nope 3rdthawkins, just that he was from the Little Rock 9 and that he lived in columbus, ohio ... I think.

3rdthawkins: Hometeam daviss

daviss: I wonder if my cousins husband is still with that organization..Charlie taylor

alt: 3rdthawkins, I'm so old that I remeber when the 'Skins got Bobby Mitchell from the Browns in a trade... I think he was the 1st ever AA to play for the "Skins. Charlie Taylor was a tremendous wide receiver.

daviss: he sure was alt

alt: he sued to kill the Browns LOL 'used'

daviss: I never saw him play pro in person but went to most ASU games

alt: q presentation question for y'all

daviss: ok alt!

3rdthawkins: heard of him alt, I grew up on Art Monk, Darrell Green, and the other receiver, I forget his name.........and oh yeah, Mark "Overthrow" Rypien

alt: away from the presentation when the presenter uses examples from his/her family genealogical research? does the presentation become less interesting when 'personal research' is injected?

daviss: oh not in my experience alt.. In fact most presentations that I have been privey too is what was used

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all. Hello 3rd, alt, daviss!!

alt: Hello AYWalton

AYWalton: hope you are all doing well.

daviss: They may have picked out the most entertaining or thought provoking but it works hello AYWalton Then you blend it in to fit the topic of the presentation

alt: Yeah daviss, I was wondering if 'personal examples' got in the way of the methodology one is attempting to present.

daviss: I would not think so alt because methodology is what got you there in the first place, family or no family

AYWalton: I think alt that it is the method----when done starts to tell the family story---and veers off into that direction completely---the presentation loses a lot. If one is citing an example----a brief example---then it does not lose. one does not even have to say---this is my grandfather---just say---here is a record from the Triplett family, show the process and keep going.

daviss: hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hello all

AYWalton: hey there SoulChile.

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: what's new on the genealogy research?

alt: that's the 'key' AYWalton the example may be from one's personal research, but the audience doesn't need to know that..

AYWalton: but some folks forget that others are not interested in the DETAILS of your family history---but the PROCESS of solving a problem, or getting more information.

daviss: true

AYWalton: Just discussing presenting information, SoulChile.

alt: exactly, unless the presentation is about 'your' family ,, reference them as little as possible, if at all.

AYWalton: Some folks forget that an audience does not want to hear the specific details of who married whom, and who is the father of whom---they want to know HOW you got the data! quite true. Always remember---it is the PROCESS!!

daviss: Are you going to give another presentation soon alt

alt: not sure daviss, been asked to do a couple on FPOC research and also UGRR

daviss: that would be good alt because you are knowable on both topics

alt: where did everyone go AYWalton? scared them off????

AYWalton: I was wondering, myself. I know that Selma will be late today. I got an email from her.

alt: okay

AYWalton: I will be in Indianapolis in Spring 2011, by the way.

alt: I see the Indiana group is advertising their annual workshop in Oct.

AYWalton: at the Eitlejorg museum. oh really? Lots of groups now having their own conferences.

alt: their's is at the Eitlejorg also.

daviss: ok back . I forgot I was cooking bacon

AYWalton: oh gracious---don't burn down the house, now daviss!

daviss: once upon a time everyone was afraid that societies were drying up, is that still happening

AYWalton: I spoke once for them there several years ago---and you are right---it was at the Eiteljorg as well. my DNA cousin Charles Barker was president, at that time.

daviss: do you and Barker have an exact match

AYWalton: we are high resolution matches! so about 10 generations back we have the same ancestor. On his mother's side.

daviss: oh ok

alt: I've known charles for about 6=7 years now AYWalton.. he is really a nice person and so is Shirley his wife.

daviss: do you have anyone closer than 10

AYWalton: they are both very nice. I had a wonderful experience when I was there, and I was impressed with the things going on in Indiana.

alt: Family Finder has found a match for me in their database that is 'posed to be within 3 generations.. this is their autosomal DNA test.

daviss: what about you alt, do you have anyone closer than 10 generations on your DNA matches oh wow

alt: I have 7 matches in the FF database... they are all supposed to be within 5 generations.. somewhere in my family tree

daviss: family finder is with what company alt

alt: Ftdna daviss unfortunately all of these matches are 'white folks' .

AYWalton: who is Family Finder?

daviss: how do you know that alt

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!

daviss: hello vkn!

AYWalton: Alt did you up grade from the HVR2 test?

alt: that's the same as 23&me's relative finder ... they are with FTDNA AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: hello vkn

daviss: wb seventies

vkn: and to you

Seventies Soulchild: Multi-tasking

alt: Yes AYWalton , I've had FTDNA do the HVR1/HVR2 full mtDNA sequence Hello vkn

daviss: I had a cousin test through FTDNA but now I am thinking that I will do that also

vkn: and alt and ayw and daviss

Seventies Soulchild: I put out the idea of our family doing a FTDNA test. So we'll see. . .

alt: FTDNA is one of the more reputable testing companies daviss and they have the ability to upgrade from the original sample.. of course with more money sent.

vkn: at ine point would you also do african ancestry alt

AYWalton: I agree, alt. I also recommend that one test a line that they have researched well.

vkn: at what point would you also do african ancestry alt

alt: I won't vkn unless they get into autosmal testing and can get to my African ancestry. right now they only do Y & mtDNA which for me is European

vkn: okies

AYWalton: that is wise, alt.

Seventies Soulchild: I was on their board a couple of days ago. They were defending their DNA database. No one has disputed, to my knowledge, their large database of African DNA.

AYWalton: I would suggest a line that you know to be an African one---to use African Ancestry.

daviss: so why would you have to go with them alt if Family Finder does autosomal

Seventies Soulchild: Agree AYWalton

daviss: not enough AA's in database

alt: I'll go with anyone that can get to my African roots daviss. FF & FTDNA or anyone else

AYWalton: you have to zoom in on a more African line, but with so many FPOCS--many of whom were also mixed that could be a challenge for many. particularly because many FPOCs intermarried in multiple generations.

Seventies Soulchild: I wonder if there is a database that is charting the migration of certain African ethnic groups through the U.S.?

AYWalton: so the mixtures are criss crossed.

daviss: no idea seventies

AYWalton: not sure what you mean, SoulChile.

alt: i do have a cousin who has found his African roots and tha tis my only lead to a possible African haplogroup.

AYWalton: But alt, you and your cousin don't have the same exact genealogy---and unless his direct male line is simlar to yours----there is no match.

vkn: Hey yall what hoppen to Francis Stephens and is there an addy for her

AYWalton: howdy Ms. Selma!!!

daviss: alt should have it vkn..

AYWalton: greetings AmosNY!

daviss: Hello Selma and AmosNY

vkn: Howdy amos

alt: I know AYWalton , his match would be thru the autosomal DNA as his line comes from my paternal grandmother's sibling lines.

Seventies Soulchild: Using people already tested say on Sorenson to map the various genetic groups from around the country then tracing their ethnic groups.

Selma: Howdy, Howdy folks... ( I sound like vkn)

vkn: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Like how many Fulani live in the south, or NY or etc etc

AmosNY: Hi alt,Angela,VKN,Selma, Daviss, SSoulchild!

AYWalton: since this country is so young---most people use DNA testing to find out more of their deeper ancestry.

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey everyone

Selma: Alt..AY...I have a friend with a DNA question..gonna see if I can get her on the phone

AYWalton: Howdy Ingrid_Doweary.

alt: hello Selma

AmosNY: Hello Ingrid!

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AmosNY, Ingrid_Doweary and Selma!

alt: and Ingrid_Doweary and AmosNY

vkn: Ingrid did I miss your call? My phone system is some timey

Seventies Soulchild: ok I have a headache and need to get back to work. Y'all have a good day!

Ingrid_Doweary: I didn't get the chance to call. Hopefully I can phone you this evening.

alt: Oops we caused Seventies Soulchild to have a headache LOL

AmosNY: Anybody here from Indianapolis?

daviss: not me

alt: I'm close AmosNY and do research there , perhaps I can help you.

vkn: alt and angela I have dna testing pending and every time I think I see the path clearly then it gets cluttered

Selma: Alt, AY..got a friend who wants to ask a DNA question..

alt: okay Selma shoot LOL

AmosNY: Just curious. I might be buying 4 houses there.

vkn: Is there an A B C

alt: vkn, try www.isogg.org for some DNA abc's

vkn: thankee

daviss: wb selma

AmosNY: Hi Stephanie!

daviss: hi stephanie

Selma: Folks this a friend of mine..

Stephanie: Hi everybody

alt: click on the 'for newbie button

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Stephanie

daviss: welcome Stephanie!

Stephanie: I have a DNA question.

alt: Hi Stephanie..

AYWalton: hello Stephanie, and welcome back Selma!

vkn: i shall alt

Selma: Folks Stephanie has a DNA question she would like to ask

Stephanie: What parts of the family need to do the DNA test to determine if they are related? I have a female and male descendant of brother and sister.

Selma: Alt and AY..I told her you could answer.. LOL

AYWalton: (can't handle the pressure Selma! ) lol Stephanie it sounds as if you already know that they are related.

Stephanie: They would be my cousin's relatives. No responses? Is the question clear?

alt: any direct male relation to the brother will get both Y & mtDNA Stephanie

AYWalton: what are you hoping to learn again?

Stephanie: The person in question is supposed to be a step-father, not biological. He carried his Step-father's name

AYWalton: ahh.....but they share a female ancestor then, correct?

alt: that is only for direct line though Stephanie.. father to son to son, etc.

Stephanie: Not my family, my cousin's family.

AYWalton: Keeping in mind that most DNA tests go up a straight unbroken line----one has to find relatives that descend from both in an unbroken line. So if I understand it correctly..... the male cousin--in relation to the female cousin---if they share the same female ancestor, then it will be reflected. BUT I might have to see the history on paper.

alt: hold on

Stephanie: Zara is the sister to Ben, Ben is the step-father to Charles. Charles has a grandson who will take the test. Zara has a great-granddaughter who will take the test. Will that work?

Selma: Are Zara and Ben 1/2 siblings, same mother, but suppose to be different Dads

Stephanie: There is a direct male descendant in Charles's family who can take the test. I have to find out how the female descendant of Zara is related.

AYWalton: hold on-----let me sketch this out in a pedigree style.

Stephanie: Same parents

AYWalton: ok wait---Zara and Ben are full brother and sister?

Stephanie: Yes

Selma: You think BEN is actually the father of Charles.. NOT the stepfather

Stephanie: yes, strong family resemblance to what would be a male first cousin.

alt: the line is broken with Ben & stepson .. from there you will get a different line... now the haplogroup may be the same, but it is not a direct father to son to son to son relationship.

Stephanie: Don't know the term haplogroup

AYWalton: ok so who is the outside child (or suspected to be the outside child?)

Selma: Alt..is on the phone Stephanie

alt: haplogroup is the 'major' breakout for lineages.

Stephanie: outside child would be Charles.

AYWalton: aha ok----and who is the father (of record?)

alt: genetic genealogy will NOT prove or Disprove paternity.

Stephanie: None of Charles' children know for sure who his father was.

AYWalton: Charles is the stepson of Ben, right?

Stephanie: We just want to confirm if there is a bloodline connection to the family. These people are deceased. yes

alt: actual DNA paternity test will prove paternity and that is different from Y & mtDNA for for genealogical purposes.

Ingrid_Doweary: Perhaps this link may also be helpful, Stephanie http://www.familytreedna.com/understanding-haplogroups.aspx

AYWalton: ok now----you want to know Charles relationship to his other sisters and brothers?

Stephanie: No, he was an only child.

AYWalton: so what about Charles do you want to know?

alt: good link Ingrid_Doweary ... and also try www.isogg.org

Stephanie: Just want to know if there is a possibility Ben could have been the father if the families share DNA???

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Alt for your link as well.

AYWalton: sounds like that is one of those things that genetic genealogy won't answer.

Stephanie: ok, thanks anyway.

AYWalton: and without a paternity test---which is a totally different kind of thing--- genealogists are doing genetic genealogy.

alt: they may share 'haplogroups', but that won't prove direct family relationships.

AYWalton: Paternity tests follow other variables.

Stephanie: Ok, I'll let them know. Appreciate your help.

AYWalton: they also study blood type and other things that would confirm or refute parental ties.

daviss: so if the grandson of charles and the great granddaughter of zena tested and they have the same haplogroup match what would that prove

AYWalton: we do historic family history with DNA.

alt: right AYWalton, we're into the differences between the types of DNA testing that can be done

AYWalton: not much---except that their ancestors are from the same part of the world, daviss.

Selma: But wouldn't it show some similar genetic coding...

Stephanie: So possible "cousins" can have blood tests done to see if they are related???

alt: nothing really daviss ... not from a 'family' connection

AYWalton: you can have 4 folks from the same country, same town, same city and with different blood types. And who are possibly NOT related in any way. keep in mind--we do ANCESTRY with our kind of DNA testing.

alt: and the reverse is true

AYWalton: not testing for paternity relatives, although some of our tests might reflect it, that is not their purpose.

Stephanie: Did anybody answer my last question yet?

AYWalton: Unless there is some of Charles DNA still around, no way to test with other living relatives in any way as I understand it. did Charles have sons?

Stephanie: Ok. Yes he had sons, 12 children.

AYWalton: now did the suspected father also have sons?

alt: Stephanie.. DNA is not really 'blood tests', only white blood cells have DNA. DNA can be done with Saliva, skin cells, hair samples, etc.

Stephanie: No other children that I know of, but I know only one person from that family who is interested in the family history. She is Zara's descen.

AYWalton: so the suspected father---whom I assume is also deceased---there are no male heirs in his line?

Stephanie: I don't know.. no census showing him with previous 2 wives or children.

alt: and Zara's DNA can only be tested for 'direct' female lines

Stephanie: no Zara can be tested for male or female

AYWalton: the only way to tell if they might share ancestry is for a direct male descendant of the suspected father to also take a genetic DNA test. That might prove a relationship----though not parentage. because they really could be cousins as well. females do not have the traceable marker that fathers pass to their sons.

Stephanie: Relationship is good enough, because he was the only familial contact.

AYWalton: does or did Zara have a brother?

Stephanie: So Zara's line can use a male or female descendant and Charles' line needs a direct male descendant?

daviss: other than Ben you mean

Stephanie: Zara's brother is the Ben in question.

AYWalton: oh that's right---ok did Ben have sons? who are still living?

alt: the male would have to have the same mtDNA that Zara would have and that would not prove a 'familial' relationship only a possible genetic relationship.

Stephanie: yes, other than Ben Ben is the susp. father, not descen.

alt: Mydna=mtdna

AYWalton: ok did Ben have sons---other than Charles?

Stephanie: We don't know of any other children from Ben.

Selma: OK lets do this line by line..

alt: Stephanie, I don't think genetic DNA will help you in this situation..

Selma: Ben is identified as the biological father of Charles and Zara?

Stephanie: Do what line by line??

AYWalton: I thought Zara was Ben's sister!

Stephanie: No, Ben and Zara are brother and sister sharing same parents.

Selma: OK I will shut up.. LOL

AYWalton: ok, that's right Ben and Zara are siblings. Same mother same father. (right?)

Stephanie: I am in contact with a female desc. of Zara. My cousins are Charles' descen.

AYWalton: it sounds interesting, for sure.

Stephanie: Ok. You guys continue, I've tied you up enough on this topic. What are the other topics of the day?

alt: same mother.. Ben & Zara will have the same mtDNA. but again this doesn't "prove" maternity. only the same genetic lineage

daviss: we actually were on DNA stephanie

Stephanie: ok

AYWalton: well folks I have to run.

alt: laters'

AYWalton: have a great day everyone.

daviss: bye AY

Stephanie: All we want is same genetic lineage. It could only have come through Ben to Charles.

Selma: Stephanie..if you send me an email later with the details I can forward

Stephanie: Ok Selma, thanks.

daviss: and Stephanie please join us from time to time

Stephanie: Thank you. Selma told me about the group last night.

alt: good idea Selma... Stephanie genetic DNA MAY prove a connection, but not paternity/maternity.

Selma: I told her we have no lives..we are here all the time...LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL

daviss: thats right Selma lol

Selma: Stephanie has some interesting research...she will have to come back and share sometime

daviss: uhhhh any Texas lines lol

alt: please do come back Stephanie, if you're from VA we might be cousins cause Selma says ALL roads lead to VA. LOL and I have some long ago VA routes LOL

Selma: You there Stephanie?

Ingrid_Doweary: Where are you based, Stephanie?

alt: routes=roots LOL

daviss: uh oh ahe's learning fast lol multitasking

Selma: I think she might have gone..but didn't log out

alt: I'm gone time for Tennis & Golf on the tube.

Ingrid_Doweary: Cya Alt

daviss: ok alt GO Cardinals

Selma: OK she's back

Stephanie: I just took a phone call, and have to look back at what has been said.

alt: email me with the 'lineup' Selma

Selma: OK alt.

Stephanie: My cousin's line is Texas on her father's side. I did a little on her Family Elliot

daviss: Whew! now thats what I want to hear lol

Stephanie: I am from Virginia, and most of my family is VA and NC

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay thanks

daviss: What are your surnames Stephanie if I might ask

Stephanie: So many..NC names: Baily, Jackson, Shade, Hemphill, Burleson, Weatherman and Sharp/e

daviss: I have to run myself but please come back. Nice meeting you

Stephanie: VA names: Adams, Smith, Beverly, Washington, Sharp/e, Henderson,

daviss: Will see you all Sat night

Stephanie: nice meeting you, thanks

Selma: Stephanie...we are closing up shop

Ingrid_Doweary: Cya Daviss

Stephanie: bye

Selma: Just x out

Ingrid_Doweary: Next time folks

Selma: Bye INgrid

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy