Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-09-03

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:58:35
End: 13:25:25
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, Ingrid_Doweary, khathu, Selma, Spivey

Selma: Good afternoon Spivey

Spivey: Hi Selma!

Selma: Are you waiting for the Hurricaine to come your way?

Spivey: I think it has missed us. Just a little wind last night, no rain at all.

Selma: We are getting rain...

Spivey: You are where?

Selma: They are expecting us getting sun, by about 3 this afternoon I am in VA

Spivey: The track then must have taken it past New York altogether.

Selma: They got flooding down in Nags Head NC

Spivey: Yeah seems like NC was the only state that got any significant rain and wind. Even on the eastern shore of Long Island nothing happened of note.

Selma: Afternoon alt

Spivey: Hi alt!

alt: hi ladies...Selma & Spivey glad to hear 'Earl' bypassed you Selma

Selma: Yes, for the most part...just getting somelight rain now Afternoon khahtu

khathu: hello everyone

alt: hello khathu you all ready for the last 'big' weekend of the summer?

Selma: Yes, I bought a bag of Chips.... LOL

alt: care to share LOL

Spivey: My sisters and I did our celebrating yesterday alt! So, now can sit back and relax and watch others running around preparing. LOL.

Selma: I am actually ready for some cooler weather.. this summer has been HOT, HOT, HOT

alt: okay Spivey.. good move

Spivey: Same here Selma. alt it is a madhouse shopping or planning or travelling. School opens here next week, so between school shopping and holiday shopping the stores are a zoo.

alt: our schools opened last week Spivey.

Spivey: Wednesday for New York City. They open Tuesday but only staff reports then.

alt: course I don't do any shopping... no monies

Spivey: That little fact does not stop me alt!

Selma: Afternoon 3rd Anthing new Khathu?

3rdthawkins: hello alt Spivey Selma Khathu I see you all are talking about Earl....you know, that's it's real name, but they often call it Speedo :} :}

Selma: Alt...I have a printer question

alt: oh, oh.. go ahead Selma

Selma: Lately I am unable to print out the images from Ancestry...

alt: you're clicking on the 'print' feature at Ancestry and it won't print, or you can't get to the print feature?

Selma: I am using the print feature at Ancestry...I only get the text..but not the image

alt: hmmmnn, I usually only print census images from ancestry and I'm not having any problems.

Selma: Ok...

3rdthawkins: alt, where do you print the census image and on what paper?

alt: I have ancestry open now.. what/where are you trying to print?

Selma: I was trying to print of than 1870 census page... 1860..doesn't matter

alt: on regular paper 3rdthawkins, where ? Selma, when you have the inage 'up' and clik on print, do you get the screen that asks image only, image & source print & customized print?

Spivey: I just printed out a census image from Ancestry Selma, so it's not Ancestry that is the problem I would guess.

3rdthawkins: I tried printing out census on regular paper and it the writing comes out too small

Selma: Yes alt..

alt: sounds like maybe something with your printer settings Selma.. can you print email for example with no problem?

Selma: Yes

alt: dunno then Selma, sorry

Selma: Well alotta help you were.. LOL

khathu: i need to start working on the haynes family reunion presentation

Selma: When is that scheduled for Khathu

alt: 3rdthawkins, the images will print out 'small' if you print the entire page... try the 'magnify' and just print out a designated section(s)

khathu: my cousin is doing a pictorial slide show

alt: I just finish a Power point for our reunion this weekend khathu

khathu: really? is it both pictures and history

alt: bout 30 slides, depicting the life & activity of our progenitor from 1780-1864 thru documents I've been able to collect over the years

Selma: Only 30 slides alt?...LOL

khathu: nice.... i would love to see it

alt: yeah, Ihad to cut it down Selma LOL

Selma: I figured as much..

alt: I can send it to you in an email khathu.

khathu: that would be great

alt: okay , you got it.. I do have your email address?

khathu: i was thinking of something on the same line including documents, history and historical pictures here it goes just in case a_dorsey@yahoo.com

alt: the 'key' is the description and meaning of each slide...they are in chronological order from slavery papers to his estate settlement in 1864. gotcha for the email

Spivey: Hi Ingrid_Doweary!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey 3rd, Alt, Khathu, Selma and Spivey

alt: for the reunion I also produced a CD with a 'book' on the Descendant Families of Lewis & Susan Adams ... bout 300+ pages w/index of names & places and I added about 700 selected photos of family history.

Ingrid_Doweary: Fantastic, Alt!

Selma: Afternoon Ingrid

alt: AND we're bringing out that 90+ft Family tree chart of those descandants.

Selma: Ok alt..I just did what you told 3rd to do..and magnified and it worked...I have no idea what that means

khathu: wow...alt

alt: so you got a print then Selma?

Selma: Is that 90 foot chart on paper..

Ingrid_Doweary: Where will you be spreading out the Family tree, Alt?

Selma: Yes...maybe I have gremlins

3rdthawkins: you mean magnify it from Ancestry, alt? I don't have a subscription there, but I do have it on my computer??

alt: the main 'picnic' Sunday will be held at the County Fairgrounds and in their building they have a wall long enough to mount/paste/tape the tree Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: Wonderful. Great job, Alt! Sounds exciting.

Selma: Have you taken a photo of the whole tree?

Spivey: Wonderful alt.

alt: magnify is in the ancestry software 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: oh, I don't have ancestry software, just using gimp to open it on my computer

Ingrid_Doweary: Have you considered taking a panoramic photo of the tree?

alt: yes Selma, I've posted it a few times here... wanna see it again

Selma: Yes, i do.. Lol

Spivey: 3rdthawkins what is gimp?

Selma: Panoramic view..thank you INgrid I couldn't think of the word..

3rdthawkins: like photo shop and picasa Spivey

alt: for Selma http://mydatabase.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=mydatabase&view=62&sort=0&albumid=2&photoindex=124&rand=20522322

Selma: OK alt...you need one where it is up on the WALL

Spivey: Thanks, 3rdthawkins. Funny how explanations contain other unrecognizable terms. I have heard of PhotoShop but not Picasa. What do these programs do?

alt: when we displayed it that year we didn't have a long enough wall to mount it.

Ingrid_Doweary: How did you print it out, Alt?

3rdthawkins: well for one you can open use them to view photos and other documents that you have saved as .jpg .gif or anything that will allow you to open it up as a photo

alt: regular printer Ingrid_Doweary, many, many pages that had to arranged and taped together.

3rdthawkins: that's not a .pdf file

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh. That certainly was creative.

Spivey: Are they any different/better than the image viewers that come with your computer software 3rdthawkins?

3rdthawkins: Spivey, you can also edit the photos to change color or to manipulate them I like them better Spivey

alt: the Family Tree Maker program did the printout Ingrid_Doweary. we just had to aligned the pages.

Ingrid_Doweary: Cool beans!

Spivey: Okay 3rdthawkins. The only extra photo program I have is KodakEasyShare and that came on a disk when I had photos developed. I like that one and the ones that came with my software. Is Photoshop easy to use like these are?

3rdthawkins: much better Spivey, I don't know easy, may be more sophisticated?

Spivey: Probably not 3rdthawkins, because I am not at all sophisticated about manipulating photographic material. I had PhotoShop years ago and didn't know how to use it at all.

3rdthawkins: yeah, if you just pefer to view the images and made change the brightness or darkness of it, then the software you are using is ok

alt: Photos... I've been 'harvesting' photos from our family's younger generation that are placed on FB... save to computer, then use Picasa to edit and crop out the head shots of individual folks. works pretty well.

3rdthawkins: made changes---I mean maybe change

Ingrid_Doweary: I sent my mother, my cousin and two aunts copies of the 1920 federal census-Arkansas, Arkansas State Marriage for my maternal grandmother and both Ancestry database transcripts of the census and marriage records. I haven't received any feedback as of yet.

Spivey: I also harvest at Facebook alt. A great source of photo images.

Selma: I am sure they will enjoy that Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: I hope so, thanks Selma.

Spivey: I just eliminate 'red-eye' and try to enhance the image where necessary, 3rdthawkins. I have also been able to crop to get individuals' photos from group photos.

alt: one of the younger generation had photos of his parents from the 1950's when they first married and he was in the military... have pics from German, italy & Japan.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yeah, Spivey. I have been using Microsoft Office Picture Manager for years annotating digital images. Nice Alt.

3rdthawkins: I think my brother got me into Photoshop to do some great editing on photos, he had taken a picture of me when we were in HS, we were in the gym and I was standing on something close to the rim of the B-ball goal, and posing like I was laying up the ball, and he took the photo and made it like the cover of a magazine

Spivey: Yes, I can annotate them too Ingrid_Doweary. I was just wondering if another program would let me do more.

3rdthawkins: I also did the same with another software where, but it was more automatic where you select to make it like a magazine cover, it was a different picture of me, nothing to do with sports, but it was pretty neet

Ingrid_Doweary: I sure there are. Photographers generally use those more specific applications like Photoshop, Avid, etc.

Spivey: Ingrid_Doweary I think my problem is that I want more but don't want to do more work to get there. LOL.

khathu: have a great labor day weekend everyone

Ingrid_Doweary: LOL

Spivey: Sigh. Another Friday 13th tomorrow. How many does that make for this year?

Ingrid_Doweary: Don't know, Spivey.

Spivey: Oops. Can't be tomorrow Ingrid_Doweary. What am I thinking? LOL. Today is just the 3rd. So Friday next week then.

Ingrid_Doweary: You're probably thinking about next week.

Spivey: Yep.

Selma: Next friday is the 10th

alt: next Fri the 13th is in May of 2011

Spivey: Okay Selma. So wrong all the way around. LOL.

Ingrid_Doweary: Digress to another topic. I love how the National Archives called Glenn Beck out on one of his lies-holding the 1st inaugural speech in his hands.

Selma: I only know that cause I have something to do on Saturday the 11th..

Spivey: Oh, I must have been looking at a 2011 calendar then alt. It figures.

Selma: Yes, I saw that Ingrid

Spivey: I didn't see or read anything about Glenn Beck's rally Ingrid_Doweary.

Ingrid_Doweary: Since it is a special historical document, they were not letting him touch it without special gloves. I watched CNN and MSNBC, Spivey.

alt: yes, the 'straight' press has been calling Beck out on his propoganda.

Spivey: My television is only turned on when I have company and they want to watch Ingrid_Doweary.

Ingrid_Doweary: They are still talking about the many flaws emanating from it.

Selma: I didn't realize he was a Mormon..it is causing some consternation amongst the Mormon church as they attempt to be more main stream

Ingrid_Doweary: I hear you, Spivey, but MSNBC weekday news program get my attention often-Hardball with Chris Matthews, Countdown with Keith Oberman and Rachel Maddow.

alt: another item... David's post on the Slavery Forum titled "The Nature of Slavery" he does a great job of getting on those who speak to slavery being 'good' for some blacks.

3rdthawkins: yes, in response to Spivey's post I think

Ingrid_Doweary: I didn't either but he reminds me of those early so-called Protestant pilgrims during the Salem witch hunts.

alt: me too Ingrid_Doweary, I watch News, Sports & of course C-Span

Spivey: Ingrid_Doweary the analysis is in the eye of the beholder's political affiliations. If Glenn Beck were a Democrat, then you would have had the Republicans 'calling him out'. Since he leans towards the Republican view, the Democrats are calling him out. It is all just party politics and both parties play that game. Hence, I don't watch either.

alt: he says he is apolitcal Spivey.

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks Alt. I will certainly read, David's Forum. Understood, Spivey.

3rdthawkins: I just watch the news, try to stay out of the way of commentators, I don't like when it's on ESPN (Sportscenter) Unless of course it's PTI PTI-Pardon the Interruption

Spivey: I don't know what his is alt. I just know that people love bashing him which does nothing to hurt his popularity.

Ingrid_Doweary: Alt, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the National Archives's interpretation on the cause of American Civil War.

Spivey: Thanks 3rdthawkins! :)

alt: Okay Spivey, it sounded as if you had an insight as to his 'political leanings'

Spivey: Thanks for the interpretation.

Ingrid_Doweary: 3rd, my husband loves PTI.

3rdthawkins: yw Spivey yeah Tony and Mike are great

Spivey: No, I am unfamiliar with the man alt. I watch local news on NY1 if I watch any news at all. That is devoted to the five boroughs of New York City.

Selma: and what was their interpretation Ingrid

Spivey: There is one program on NY1 alt, called 'Road to City Hall' and there is the only place I find out what is going on nationally since both parties are represented there.

Ingrid_Doweary: The National Archives supports the premise that the Civil War was primarily about economics, slavery was one of the commodities in dispute.

3rdthawkins: speaking of the news, Silver Springs had a scare at the Discovery Channel HQ

Spivey: Really, Ingrid_Doweary? Interesting.

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, 3rd. I saw some of the coverage in the local news. I know exactly the location of the McDonalds they were evacuating the day care children.

3rdthawkins: I think my dad's brother lived there, not sure if he still does

Ingrid_Doweary: They were crossing a major thoroughfare to get there. It's scary. Sounds as though the assailant was mentally unstable.

Selma: Slavery was what the Confederacy said it was about..not sure why there is a question excluding slavery from the territories would make "property in slaves so insecure as to be comparatively worthless..thereby annihilating in effect property worth thousands of millions of dollars...Jefferson DAvis 1861

Ingrid_Doweary: The Confederacy was adamant about maintaining their 'states rights'. They saw the Commander-In-Chief Lincoln as a tyrant.

Spivey: 'The War of Northern Aggression' is one name by which the confederate states call the Civil War.

Selma: There are still folks who call it that

Spivey: I think I have seen other names Ingrid_Doweary but don't remember them.

Ingrid_Doweary: Confederates wanted to hold tied to an agrarian-driven economy. They were heavily resisting merchantalism and the industrial revolution.

alt: right Selma, when the argument is 'States Rights' it is about the right of the State to have and perpetuate Slavery.

Selma: Yes

Ingrid_Doweary: Which group did the names belong to, Spivey?

Spivey: Yes, I think I read the phrase somewhere not long ago Selma. A modern take on the Civil War.

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh and some call it the War Between the States. even in some very classic cartoons.

Spivey: Group Ingrid_Doweary?

alt: and Ser Boxley, a Mississipi activist calls it 'The Uncivil War"

Selma: Ingrid...I have met folks who still call it that..here in VA..

Ingrid_Doweary: You were trying to remember some names, Spivey? Alt, is Boxely an author?

Spivey: That is not a recognized term for it alt as far as I know. The War Between the States, The Civil War, and The War of Northern Aggression are the recognized terms.

alt: he has many publications, articles, but no book as such Ingrid_Doweary

Spivey: On the different names by which the Civil War is known Ingrid_Doweary.

Ingrid_Doweary: Where does Boxely publish? Oh okay, Spivey.

alt: Ingrid_Doweary do a google on "Forks of the Road" that is Boxley's website.

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, thanks, Alt.

3rdthawkins: ok alt, I found a way to do it, wanted to see a few people the actual images from the census

alt: http://www.forksoftheroads.net/ boxley's site Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: TY Interesting read, Alt. again TY.

alt: David's take on slavery Ingrid_Doweary?

Ingrid_Doweary: I'll need to put full attention to reading. Is "Forks of the Road" a historical society, genealogy or both?

Selma: Folks I have to run...have a great day

Spivey: No red people. P a r t a y !!!

alt: a little of it all Ingrid_Doweary.. one man's effort to not let the slavery be downplayed and/or forgotten about in the Natchez, MS area.

Ingrid_Doweary: Those appear to be some interesting topics on Boxley's site. Hear! Hear, Boxley!. Have you met him?

alt: yes, he spoke at our UGRR Summit here in Ohio a few years back.. and we communicate frequently thru Bennie McRae and his Lest We Forget website.

Ingrid_Doweary: Why do you say 'No red people', Spivey? That's great, Alt.

Spivey: Our colors on the right Ingrid_Doweary. Red people are those in charge.

alt: well I gotta run too... practice time for my presentation tomorrow. Have a safe holiday y'all.

Ingrid_Doweary: Cya Alt. Good Luck I'm afraid I don't follow you, Spivey.

Spivey: I have to step down stairs for a minute. I'm going into the other chat room when I come back. See you there in a couple of minutes if you care to join me.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy