Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-12-21 • More on Probate

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:30:16
End: 13:12:45
Chatters: alt, Khathu, Selma, vkn

vkn: Howdy Mr Alt

alt: talking with a california cousin

vkn: okies I am in and out of the room

alt: still talking

vkn: Not a prob. Learn all you can from kin

Khathu: hello alt and vkn

alt: hi Khathu hello selma

Selma: Good Friday afternoon alt, Khathu and vk vkn

Khathu: Hello Selma I finished transcribing the probate records for the Estate of John R. Dorsey

alt: is it starting to make sense Khathu?

Khathu: the only activity on the involving the estate is that the will was admitted into probate so I need to find out why no other activity occurred

alt: ok ya, it was probated, now the question is was it executed?

Selma: Would there be info on the status of the will re: probate in Court Minutes Alt..did you go to BBenn talk last night..I tried but fell asleep

vkn: Howdy to all. I am in an out of the room

alt: I just listened this morning.. very interesting

Selma: Will have to go back and listen Did she have a good crowd? Oh you don't know.. lOL

alt: it is/was a great program.

vkn: I too fell asleep and only heard about ten minutes of talk

alt: dunno, I listened this morning

vkn: The counter showed 31 people

Khathu: so how will i determine if the will was executed?

vkn: Did she speak to estates alt? I will listen later

Khathu: court records are a brand new territory for me

Selma: What is the time period Khathu

Khathu: late 1880s

vkn: Sounds like time to do a line by line

Selma: You might want to take a look at the Court Minutes..or whatever they call it in that area

Khathu: I have examined the court minutes up to 1901 and have not located any activity on the case

Selma: Ummm Jeez that sounds like a question to ask the woman who spoke last night on BBenn's show

vkn: Consider writing the court asking for outcome etc

Khathu: I have reached out to the genealogical and historical societies of the county for some answers on probate records

Selma: Was land distributed..do you found heirs owning property that was in the will

alt: yes she did vkn, it was a far ranging discussion on blacks during the pre-civil war period as relates to property

Khathu: I located the heirs paying taxes on the property after the death of their father

alt: that's a key Khathu, the Will was probated as you know, but was it ever 'executed'?

vkn: Isn't a yearly accounting required by the court

Selma: As it relates to "blacks" being property or owning property

alt: being property and she later got into a discussion of blacks owning property Selma she cited some great examples from the Freedman's bureau

Khathu: @alt that is the question I am trying to answer

vkn: Alt all I heard was the last few minutes and sounded like an apology for slavery. Mind you I was listening out of context

Selma: Apologizing how?

alt: she was 'aplogizing', in general,for her ancestors who were slave owners vkn

Khathu: In Texas all of the probate activitiy are listed in the minutes and since I am unable to locate anything I must assume that it wasn't

vkn: that her ancestors were owners

alt: right some of her ancestors Khathu ....if executed there should be court records as to who received what & when and that information should be a part of the estate papers.

vkn: Final accounting could have been in another state

alt: this is what I'm running into with my recent find.... the 50 pages I referenced are the estate papers and the Will is just one document in those papers.

vkn: alt you have the actual documents already?

alt: no vkn, but this is what the archivist informed me of what was in the 'estate papers' ... it wasn't just the Will.

Khathu: At this point I don't think it was executed, now I need to find out why?

vkn: I see

Selma: The case I referred to yesterday..the family members fought and was taken to a higher court in another county..still have to get those records

vkn: The executor may have failed and another was not appointed

alt: I'm hoping the 'papers' give other clues as to his life style, etc in California during the last 10 years or so of his life (1860-1871)

Khathu: we have early dismissal here, so I will talk to you all later

alt: Selma & vkn .. you will find bbenn's show last nite to be very informative!!!!!!

vkn: I will listen while scanning today

Selma: I will try to listen this evening..been trying to finish up Xmas stuff

alt: I wish I had been there 'live' because I had a couple of questions for her

Selma: I see the NRA is talking about arming the country

vkn: I did see that daviss was in the room

alt: ain't that ridulous!!!!

Selma: It took them a whole WEEK to come up with that

vkn: Selma they the nra is nuts but some of the discussion made sense

alt: let a 'mass' of blacks become NRA members and watch how quickly they back off of 'everyone' being armed LOL LOL

Selma: Didn't hear..been running around LOL

vkn: I worry about the greed based people selling backpacks that are bullet proofed

Selma: Me too vkn..I saw that

alt: I think it is going to become more serious & dangerous before it gets better. re: the gun control argument

Selma: Well folks..on that somber note...let me run

vkn: Seeks a profit in whatever situation

alt: later Selma

vkn: Yrue

alt: that's BIG vkn .. greed & profit

Selma: Bye folks..have a great day, hopefully will talk to you before Xmas

vkn: mail bout family finder alt I sent you a mail

alt: okay vkn.looking forward to it

vkn: okies over and out

alt: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy