Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-08-16 Slave tags ~ fact or fake

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:31:12
End: 13:09:52
Chatters: alt, History_Buff, Seventies, vkn

vkn: Howdy Doody alt A mighty quiet room, I see wakey uppey

alt: Hello vkn

vkn: by your lonely is true dedication lol

alt: just browsing the 'net waiting for some company ...how are you doing today?

vkn: gotta get stuff done lol

alt: well, you've always got something 'brewing'

vkn: or burning lol

alt: hehehehehehe

vkn: at best scorching

alt: hope these guys finish our roof today.... the pounding is killing me LOL

vkn: Well tomorrow is another day So Art the blogger now that is funny to moi Nothing but da best

alt: well, Im reading about it.... looks like it might be more work than I want to do.

vkn: it will be a snap

alt: yeah, that's what they say about the IPad ..... more than a notion, every App had some foolishness you had to go thru to activate it. too much for me LOL the 'mind' just ain't as agile as it used to be

vkn: you must be asking me lol

alt: oh no, you've kept ypurself sharp and current, I went dormant for a while and it's showing up with these newer pieces of equipment

vkn: sorry you turned the pad down

alt: guess this 'old' dog ain't learning any new tricks LOL LOL

vkn: the pad brings a continuing level of enjoyment

Seventies: good afternoon alt & vkn! How are you both doing today?

alt: I can see where it is very useful, convenient & fun to work with

vkn: howdy back atcha seventies

alt: Hello Seventies, how you doing today?

Seventies: I'm doing well.

alt: that's nice to hear

Seventies: busy next couple of days coming up.

alt: what's up?

Seventies: My boys had to retake their state exam final tomorrow, there is the funeral tomorrow, nephew coming by tomorrow, son has football practice and No cleats... I have to go toe to toe with their guidance counselors.. sigh...

alt: sounds busy, but I'm sure you can handle it all

Seventies: lol 'cause I'm a woman w-o, m-a-n say it again! lol

alt: I was gonna say that LOL LOL LOL LOL wow, that's scary

Seventies: lol lol Great minds think alike alt.. lol anyone talk or text Daviss today?

alt: I'm telling ya LOL not me

Seventies: I'll text her later..

alt: okay, great!!!!

Seventies: so you know last night I was watching 'Haunted Collector' and they found a 'haunted' slave tag... I had no idea that they had 'slave tags'... this one was very ornate. Let me see if I can find a picture of it...

alt: there was a thread on AfriGeneas a couple of years back on 'slave tags'

Seventies: Apparently I missed that one. interesting though. The place where it was found was Hardin Co., KY

alt: is that right..

Seventies: The person was enslaved in SC according to the tag. And they took it to a historian...

alt: and they verified it as a 'slave tag'?

Seventies: Yes. It was in the shape of a cartouche with a rope trim around it. It was pretty heavy looking too

alt: ah so

Seventies: So it didn't look anything like the slave tags I saw when browsing google for images. it was unique.

vkn: Falling asleep at keyboard.

Seventies: lol vkn you can't be doing that! lol

vkn: y'all be good ya heah

Seventies: alright you too

alt: wondered what happened to ya vkn..... gotta watch those candles, burning at both ends can be hazardous to your health. Oops, vkn be's gone ... like da wind LOL

Seventies: She's gone.. probably going to take a nap.. Also while I was letting my mind wander... lol I watched "Unsung" last night. They featured your homegirl Vesta Williams. :} Ohio has a lot of well known AA's.. sheesh Are you falling asleep at the keyboard too, alt?

alt: nope, yep a lot of well known AA's in Ohio or from Ohio

Seventies: I figure that was a very popular place to relocate to during the GM...

alt: probably, but I go back even further as a great place to settle.... especailly those who gained their freedom prior to the Civil War. Ohio was like the 'new' frontier with no slavery

Seventies: right. I wonder though during those times 1800-1850, was it the only 'free state' in the US??

alt: oh no, but it was the 1st free state to come into the union following the CW. Oops, following the Revolutionary War.

Seventies: okay. So now I did see that some people who were born in WV moved to OH. Did the borders of the state change at any time after the CW I know I"m asking a lot of questions, but its been on my mind for a while. :}

alt: not for Ohio, but WV came out of VA ca 1861-1862. ask away... I'm a 'know-it-all' LOL LOL LOL

Seventies: okay.... that makes sense. Recall that I had a Welcome and Julia bowman in Oberlin OH. Welcome's parents were born in VA, but I believe he was born in W.VA Hey History_Buff! How is it going???

History_Buff: Hey Alt and Seventies.

alt: well, hello stranger

History_Buff: I'm okay how are you all today?

Seventies: doing well. How was your summer?

alt: me, okay... glad to hear the same is true for you Oops, here & gone

Seventies: She looks like she got kicked out.. lol

alt: don't forget Bernice & DNA tonite

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy