Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-07-14 It's Saturday Night!

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:02:44
End: 21:47:59
Chatters: AYWalton, jhonora, ProfDru, Selma

jhonora: Hello ProfDru!

ProfDru: hello jari what have you been up to?

jhonora: Nothing much, just returning from a week in Dallas at my org.'s nat'l convention

ProfDru: good for you i've been working on an application to the national park service for the James A. Fields House to be included in its network to freedom. This is a way to put my research to work for a worthy cause. Are you finished college yet?

jhonora: That is wonderful, they are usually always glad to receive applications for more diverse sites, especially ones with concrete research behind them

ProfDru: yes, this was an excellent exercise in gathering documentation and doing citations.

jhonora: It seems as though there are many wonderful sites in our communites but few researchers who take the time to do the research from which the rangers can "interpret."

ProfDru: right One of Mr. Fields' descendants has now take an interest in her family's history. We are working on this project together. We also have a presentation at Fort Monroe next month.

jhonora: I read about his granddaughter on the blog, that is great

ProfDru: yes, she is 98 years old now.

jhonora: Was Fields mentioned in the book, Men of Mark, by Wm. Simmons?

ProfDru: Don't know. I haven't read this book.

jhonora: It was a colored who's who type book, done about 1890

ProfDru: He is mentioned in several books, but most of them did not have source citations. I had to dig deep to find primary evidence of his arrival at Fort Monroe prior to the end of the Civil War. Found a document in the Freedman's Bureau records.

jhonora: Have the Howard Law Alumni been of much assistance or shown much interest?

ProfDru: I have not contacted them yet. There is so much to be researched on Mr. Fields. For this project, I concentrated on the Enslavement and Civil War era.

AYWalton: Good evening ProfDru and jhonora!

jhonora: Hey AYWalton!

ProfDru: I was however contacted by a professor from Cornell Law School where his brother attended.

AYWalton: how are you both doing tonight?

ProfDru: Angela in da house

AYWalton: lol ProfDru is in da house!

ProfDru: good

AYWalton: wassup honora? oh jhonora, did you get my message about Harrison?

jhonora: Doing well, AY, I met a classmate of yours at my convention this week and forgot to write the name

AYWalton: you did? where was your convention? was this the KofP convention?

jhonora: In Dallas, but the lady lived in California, I believe. She was from the parish in Ft. Smith

AYWalton: ahh interesting! hmm.........I wonder who that was!!!

ProfDru: small world

AYWalton: From St. John's? we were a tiny parish!!! who was that? And most who went to St. John

jhonora: I'll have to ask some others at my table if they remember, she definitely knew you, because the first person she mentioned was your father

AYWalton: most who went to St. John's are also no longer in Arkansas---they are everywhere. she mentioned Sam Walton? who could that be? what was the convention that you attended?

jhonora: It was the KPC Convention in Dallas

AYWalton: who in the world>?

ProfDru: what is kpc?

jhonora: Knights of Peter Claver, ProfDru

ProfDru: ok

AYWalton: you have to find out who that was for me. she mentioned my dad? is there a list of people who attended?

jhonora: There is, I will check to see if I can find out

AYWalton: please do!!!!!!

jhonora: I even asked her if she went to the Benedictine high school, she said she didn't but that her younger sister had

AYWalton: her sister had---I wonder who that was. was it a Triplett? a younger sister? That was not a Triplett then. hmm...........not a Longley

jhonora: I can't recall, I was too busy campaigning for some of the fellows and the ladies can't vote for us lol

AYWalton: not that many of us went to St. Scho. ah yes. but you can't drop a bomb like that---I am so curious, now. I hope your candidate(s) won.

jhonora: Not one of 'em won, but I gave the two best nomination speeches hands-down

AYWalton: (scratching my head wondering who you met.) I bet you did!!! Hey Mizz Selma!

jhonora: Hello Selma

AYWalton: Jhonora did you get my email?

ProfDru: howdy selma

Selma: Good evening jhonora, AY, and dru

AYWalton: hope you are having a good evening, Mizz Selma!

Selma: I am sure you gave a great speech jhonora Yes, i am ay

jhonora: AY, was it about Mark Harrison?

AYWalton: yes, I was curious if he was the same person as our other acquaintance. I am fighting allergies this evenint. Stuffy nose and a bit sneezy. Looking for the Benadryl. lol

jhonora: I don't think so, for one thing, both of l'autre homme's parents were of Louisiana stock, and plus this gentleman writes too well to be HLT.

AYWalton: LOL!!! Whew!! Thanks! I got an email from cette homme who said we might be DNA cousins! Good to know.

jhonora: I'm avoiding his name, don't want to "conjure" him up

Selma: Please no "conjuring" tonight

AYWalton: or is that cet homme?

jhonora: cet

AYWalton: Indeed a wise move. No cunjurin' or such things.

jhonora: I was actually with some of his actual cousins this week, they have nothing to do with him

AYWalton: don't want something to back fire and bring all kinds of stuff up close LOL! I can imagine! I think he lives in Oklahoma anyway. l'autre homme lives out west in California. well I need to go and find some benadryl. That will dry me up and knock me out as well.

jhonora: I recently discovered after digging through the Freedmen's labor contracts that some of my people worked alongside the ancestors of Archibald & Willard Motley (artist & writer of the Harlem Renaiss.)

AYWalton: oh wow!!! That is really cool, jhonora!

Selma: In RG 105?

jhonora: Yes, Selma

Selma: On line?

jhonora: Yes

AYWalton: amazing the things that you can find!

Selma: After I told you to look? LOL

ProfDru: gotta run

jhonora: It was even more amazing, because on another line, I have a cousin who exchanged over 1,000 letters with Motley

AYWalton: really? Does he still have the letters?

jhonora: Yes, Ms. Selma, after you told me to look! Thank you!

Selma: LOL

jhonora: They are in the Pierce Collection up at UW-Madison

Selma: That is really exciting..

AYWalton: wonderful!

jhonora: I am now searching to see if my 'merican folks from Thibodaux are mentioned

Selma: Isn't it great you can search from HOme

AYWalton: Jhonora, do the gens de color tell jokes with Boudreax and Thibodaux? I heard a few at Samford, but I wondered if they were more Cajun than Creole.

jhonora: Well, we do occasionally, I always change the names, although I do have Boudreaux cousins

AYWalton: ahh.......so who do the folks de coleur talk about?

Selma: What are you joking about?

jhonora: They don't have very many jokes from the couleur side of things, but many of the cajun ones apply

AYWalton: ahhh ok, gotcha. I heard some cute Cajun jokes and the two characters are always Boudreaux and Thibodeaux. well I better run, I need my nasal spray and some benadryl. Have a good evening you too. Jhonora, think about who you met in Dallas! I am anxious to know.

jhonora: The crowd must be occupied or tired this evening

Selma: Numbers have been down..folks are either on vacation or just tired.. Guess it is time for me to go too...

jhonora: Good night!

Selma: Have a good evening

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy