Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-29 Rosenwald & Education

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:07:06
End: 13:15:53
Chatters: alt, Daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

alt: hey Seventies Soulchild .. what's up?

Seventies Soulchild: Hi alt! How are you?

alt: hanging in there

Seventies Soulchild: good. How was your long weekend?

alt: w bout you?

Seventies Soulchild: Doing fair. :)

alt: just fair?

Seventies Soulchild: Ok doing good! :}

alt: that's better

Seventies Soulchild: Have you ever heard of a publication called Today's Negro American? Howdy Daviss-Mitchell!

alt: 1 daughter and 1 son just got back from NYC... they went to NJ to visit another son over the weekend.

Daviss: hello alt and seventies!

alt: Hi Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: That's a lot of traveling.

alt: don't think I have Seventies Soulchild .. is it an "older" publication?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes like a journal of who's who .. let me get the link http://tinyurl.com/849m64y

alt: well they went by airplane thanks for the link Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: You're welcome. Not a lot of well known names, but thought it would be good for family histories.

Daviss: brb u2

Seventies Soulchild: This edition was from 1964 and included Arthur Ashe, as a salesman.. :}

alt: appear to be quite a few Flint, MI names listed, wonder if this is primarily something put together by a Michgander????

Seventies Soulchild: I believe so alt. I noticed the same thing.

alt: Hello Ms. Selma... how ya doing?

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma!

Selma: Good Tuesday afternoon alt, daviss (mornin) and seventies Just back from eye doctor...

Seventies Soulchild: Everything is ok?

Selma: Oh yeah..had to get an eye plug for dry eyes..

Seventies Soulchild: oh okay.

alt: oh my Selma.... you gonna be okay... no glaucoma, or anything, huh?

Selma: Just reading back alt..those laws were not "just changed with the weather"..very systematic. No but will have Cataract surgery in July..I swear getting old is a "bi*%ch

Daviss: ok back

Seventies Soulchild: Selma, I was looking at that yesterday as well. Is that a specific book or just laws on the books? lol lol Selma!

Daviss: Hi Selma

alt: the black codes???? oh yeah they were very systemic.... changing according to what YOU folks were doing that agitated the white folks.

Selma: I recommend everyone read the Black Laws of VA..which was done written in 1939..it is a compilation of the laws that were passed in VA beginning in the 1660's forward

alt: tell me about getting old Selma LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I was thinking that these laws are so ingrained that they have become part of U.S. culture.

Daviss: why such a long wait Selma

Selma: Long wait with what davisss??

Daviss: Cataract surgery

Selma: Many of these laws are then passed in other states as Virginians move to other states. Cause this eye doctor is very busy..but one of the best in this area

Seventies Soulchild: Is this it?http://tinyurl.com/8a6pwjz

Daviss: oh ok, I was thinking about you and Samford

alt: from the John Legend FYR episode.. an interesting fact is that Ohio had just repealed their Black codes in 1849 requiring free blacks coming into the State to register.... Had Legend's Polley's been required to register in 1850 they would have been protected under the Ohio Black codes.

Selma: Yes...seventies..read it

Seventies Soulchild: I will do that. wow. they came there in 1850, right?

alt: one of those strange unintended consequence things with Ohio's Black codes

Selma: When you read you will see how deliberate and systematic the whole system was

Seventies Soulchild: The end results show how obvious that is.

Selma: For researching Free Blacks it does mean that certain records are available..

Seventies Soulchild: okay

alt: those who fought the Black Codes and in some ways the reason they came to be are really the forgotten heroes in AA history, IMHO LOL

Daviss: kinda like now and those Immigration laws being passed now in these repub controlled states deliberate and systematic

Seventies Soulchild: I think that Immigration laws have always been racially driven. Starting with that Naturalization act of 1789

alt: probably so Seventies Soulchild, but I think the AA experience priot to the 'outlawing' of the Slave trade is a different animal from "immigration" as such. priot=prior

Seventies Soulchild: I agree.

alt: as Selma often says "our folks didn't get here on a cruise ship" LOL

Seventies Soulchild: True indeed.

Daviss: I agree also alt but truth told I think they want to walk us back

Selma: What I say is my West Indian folks didn't get to those Islands on a Carnival Cruise with everyone singing Day-O Same thing

Seventies Soulchild: lmao... Selma, and even after slavery ended when they went around the Caribbean looking for work they weren't singing Day-O then either.

alt: my humble apologies for mangling your statement Selma LOL

Selma: LOL

Daviss: lol

Selma: It is one of my better quotes.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss are you still researching the Rosenwald (?) schools?

alt: the reading of the Black codes give us a much better understanding of Black Slave ownership and the "why's", than just those who say well, Blacks owned slaves too.

Daviss: yes seventies I am

Seventies Soulchild: have you been looking into any other school systems around TX? I wanted to start looking into some of the school systems or special schools from yesteryear

Daviss: no not really because the majority in tx were

Daviss: you have some AME and Baptist AA ones like Wiley Paul Quinn and Bishop though

Seventies Soulchild: What got my interest was the W.J. Hale school in TN

alt: Rosenwald schools.... were there any above the Mason-Dixon line?, or was this just a southern thing?

Seventies Soulchild: Well reading about it. and reading about W.J. Hale and his family.

Selma: Don't know alt..

Daviss: mostly south alt

alt: just musings LOL LOL

Selma: But I bet you could Google it.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol yes Google hold the answer to all of the questions.

Daviss: Rosenwald was from NY

Selma: Jeez another earthquake in Italy

Daviss: yes I saw that last night Selma

Selma: They did not provide ALL the monies for those schools..parents had to contribute

Daviss: some had to via food or work most were poor

Selma: But they wanted an education for their children

Daviss: yep

Seventies Soulchild: You know I was kind of talking about that in regards to the resources that would've been allocated from the tax base for education. That's what I think the reason for the Census undercount may have been. At least one of them

alt: are there Rosenwald schools in Urban areas? seems like I've always associated them with rural communities.

Daviss: rural alt, that was were most of the needs were these were dirt poor folks if you had someone who had a tad more wealth then they helped out in the building etc

Seventies Soulchild: True Daviss. The way they made black people struggle for what ended up many times being an inadequate education. Terrible.

Daviss: no books or used beyond reading the girls were taught homemaking skills and boys agriculture If it were not for the Rosenwald schools it would have been disasterous

Seventies Soulchild: Now did your granny go to a Rosenwald school Daviss?

alt: an educational twist... Ohio just made Central State Univ. a land-grant college this year.... and oversight, or slight from 1887, when the legislature gave OSU the land grant grant status that was proposed for CSU in 1887.

Daviss: yes hers was a Rosenwald as well as everyone in that neighborhood that is a real oversite alt lol

Seventies Soulchild: okay. I knew your mom was a Jack Yates Grad and alll :}

Selma: Folks..have to run..see you all this evening..

Daviss: she went to HS in Houston but trying to figure out where she went to elementery

Seventies Soulchild: ok see you

Selma: Have a great day

Daviss: bye Selma

alt: I know google will probably tell me, nut was Rosenwald into more than just the building of these schools? did he fund them beyond just the structures?

Daviss: I have yet to find her in any of those school pics but see all of her 1st cousins lol

Seventies Soulchild: Doesn't Yates have an alumni assoc?

Daviss: tried that seventies no answer mostly structures alt They also funded Tuskegee

Seventies Soulchild: I've met people who have graduated from Yates when I was living in Houston. they are all so proud! lol

Daviss: I can imagine Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: lol sidenote, I'm waiting for alt to give me his cousin's Philip Michael Thomas' phone number ... lol Just checkin' if you're awake! lol

alt: who is Phillip Michael Thomas? LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol

Daviss: lol man, I did not hit the sack again until after 5 am

alt: no one on my RF listing from 23and me by that name LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol

alt: what's up with that Daviss ?????

Seventies Soulchild: Coffee...

Daviss: no idea just wide awake

Seventies Soulchild: Coffee.

Daviss: PMT is an actor alt lol

alt: oh, like BDW, Huh?

Daviss: yep lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: okay.. lol Who in the heck is BDW?? lol

alt: gotcha Daviss l have to shoot ya if we tell Seventies Soulchild LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Seventies Soulchild: That's my line.. lol lol lol Ok let No, I still haven't figured it out.. lol

Daviss: hahahahahaha you really dont want to get fired on do ya

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not going to mess with you today Davis... lol

Daviss: whew!! you just did trying to steal my "s"

Seventies Soulchild: lol oops

Daviss: I went through two ed's in Houston last night, no luck with my mother

Seventies Soulchild: Still? I bet she is one of the uncounted.

Daviss: I have more to go as I expand from where Yates was located

Seventies Soulchild: what ed's are you looking through. Did you try the 3rd Ward? What about the 5th Ward?|

Daviss: I am trying where she went to school first then expanding

Daviss: I went through 258.224 and 225 so far, thinking she had to be around there She did not marry until 1941

Seventies Soulchild: okay. Well just giving it some thought... I forgot what midtown Houston was called before they changed it to midtown Okay. How old is Theodore?

Daviss: they lived on Burkett in 1943

Seventies Soulchild: Okay

Daviss: so thats my theory, start with yates and work my way

Seventies Soulchild: Ok... Well Yates is on the SouthSide of Houston, Right? I'm still laughing at the fact that we are related.. who da thunk it??!! lol

Daviss: on Elgin

Seventies Soulchild: Hey let me get going our director is down here walking around and lunch is technically over

Daviss: I am trying to figure out how come the 1940 city directory on Ancestry only goes up to the M's ok later seventies have a good day

Seventies Soulchild: You know quiet is kept, some of their collections are incomplete. I found that out by looking for a specific document

Daviss: tell your director heyyy for me lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol no... lol

Seventies Soulchild: Look if you know any black youth who will be Jr's in HS next year or any kids who would will be entering 7th or 8th grade next year please refer them to the STEM and SLS programs here at West Point. The corp needs to reflect society. lol

Daviss: for sure seventies I will

Seventies Soulchild: Okay talk to you soon. Have a good day.

Daviss: u2

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy