Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-05-08 Henry Burke • Enslaved Ancestors

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:14:06
End: 13:18:48
Chatters: alt, bbenn, Daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Daviss: hello alt!

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt and Daviss

Daviss: How in the heck are you? heyyy Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: lol now do you all want me to get the chairs and lights today?? lol

Daviss: now I have an excuse because I type slow lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: but the old heads are together and we know a lil something about payback :?

Seventies Soulchild: uh oh...;)

Daviss: heheheeehehe

Seventies Soulchild: I was browsing through the newspapers forum today.

Daviss: how are you today seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well. How are you? alt, how are you?

Daviss: good

Seventies Soulchild: We are cold, damp and wet here on the east coast. Its driving me a little batty.

Daviss: oh really! I guess so was the newspaper forum interesting for you today?

Seventies Soulchild: yes. hi Selma

Daviss: Hi Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: Tim has been posting some good links.

Selma: Good afternoon folks

Seventies Soulchild: Though the Chronicling America link is currently down I really wish that the Woodville Democrat archives would be put back online

Daviss: Yes, I tried to get in Chronicling yesterday and it was down

Seventies Soulchild: that would be a great help, especially for the early records in the 1900's Is everyone clear on how to get into the newspapers google took down a while back?

Daviss: I imagine Seventies.. Why was it taken offline?

Seventies Soulchild: I guess the agreement expired. It was removed from google in their push to remove newspapers from google books.

Daviss: I see

alt: Hello Daviss, Selma & Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Hey there he is! Hi alt

Selma: Afternoon alt

Daviss: hello alt! No one else has your newspaper, like Archives .com

Seventies Soulchild: ok

alt: yeah, I was reading Tim's posting on Newspapers..... they can be an unbelievable source beyond the vital records for family information.

Seventies Soulchild: I really want to see if I can find an obit for Dr. Washington. I was thinking maybe it was published in the Meharry archives, but they only go up to the 1920's. You know it so sad that none of Scott Washington's sons with his wife never had children. And it makes it more difficult to find descendants since they don't carry the Washington name. never = ever

Selma: When did he die seventies?

alt: we just lost a very good friend and researcher .. Henry Burke from Marietta, Ohio... I posted the google links to some of his 'work' on AfriGeneas.

Seventies Soulchild: Benjamin Washington died in 1961. His brother Scott died in 1963 in TN.

Daviss: Sorry to hear that alt

Seventies Soulchild: thanks alt. sorry about the loss. I read that there will be a memorial service in the next few days.

alt: sorry Seventies Soulchild, had to get that out there before I forgot

Seventies Soulchild: I was going to ask about it. But you weren't in the chat room.

Selma: I understand about the "forgetting" alt..sometimes its minute to minute, what I remember.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: OK now should I order the SSN application form for Scott?

alt: I hear you Selma.. thoughts come and go faster than ever before anynore.

Selma: What are you looking for regarding Benjamin that you think you will find on Scott's application?

alt: dunno Seventies Soulchild, they are quite expensive .. I would be sure it is the right person, if possible, before ordering one.

Seventies Soulchild: Nothing, just wanted additional info on scott. I'm sure its him same birthday as on WW II draft card which he applied for in MI And WWI Draft card.

alt: you know ....... I have never orderd a SS application records.

Seventies Soulchild: oh really?

alt: nope.

Daviss: nor have I

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to have to research as to what comes on the form to see if its something I could use. I hear so many people talking about it.

alt: at 27.00 I think I can find as much, or more, connecting information... is that cheap, or what? LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Shoot the archives have gotten hip to that and charge the same amount just for records research. Even if you give them the dates and locations of the records.

alt: watched FYR last night.... those Korean/Indian records were 'fantastic' .. I thought....

Selma: Yes they were alt..

Seventies Soulchild: The Indian records are just what I thought they would be....

Daviss: oh yeas alt

Seventies Soulchild: And that is fantastic, indepth So why did Sanjay Gupta need Dr Gates again??? lol lol

alt: maybe they needed each other....

Daviss: next week Wanda

alt: him for the publicity of doing a celebrity and the celebrity for having their genealogy done for them.... something that perhaps they wouldn't undertake themselves.

Seventies Soulchild: Looking forward to that Daviss. Hopefully we will get some good information. I think that celebrity genealogy has been a big business. Anything to do with celebrity has always been big business. As someone did Michael Jackson's family tree. hi bbenn

Selma: Good afternoon bbenn

bbenn: Hwllo alt, Daviss, Selma and Seventies!

alt: I'm interested to see John Legend's FPOC family lines....and Wanda Sykes...

Daviss: hello bbenn!

Seventies Soulchild: That comes on with his, huh? There should be some preview clips online of that show today.

alt: I'm think it is his Bass ancestors (John Legend).. those are the one's I've traced of his.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I guess you will have to be our 'go-to' person on this episode with all of your knowledge on the stephens family and on FPOC and VA... :) You as well Selma..

alt: His Stephens lines are from GA, not sure if they were FPOC.

Selma: We have at least 2 folks in our group who are related to Sykes..Banks line

Seventies Soulchild: So make sure you two show up at 755 on the dot! :}

Selma: LOL

alt: I can't get FYR on Sunday night

Selma: The Banks line is documented in Heinnegs's work

Daviss: I wonder if that Banks line went into Texas

Seventies Soulchild: What alt?? That's a crime!

alt: His FPOC line could also be the Underwoods.

Seventies Soulchild: Heinnegs work only covers VA? or the Carolinas as well?

alt: yeah, 3 PBS stations and none that I get carry it on sunday... bummer!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Thats a conspiracy alt.

Selma: Heinneg's work begins in the 1600's in VA, MD..includes NC, SC..stops about 1810's 1820's

Seventies Soulchild: My mouse just died... eh. BRB

Selma: What happened to bbenn..didn't I see her here?

Daviss: she is still in room

bbenn: Yes, just listening:}

Daviss: alt was bumped out

Selma: Oh...I must be more spacey than usual. Hi bbenn

bbenn: Hi Selma, done anymore indexing lately?

Seventies Soulchild: no

Daviss: no what seventies lol

Seventies Soulchild: No indexing.. lol But I see that question wasn't for me. I read too fast.. lol

Selma: Yes, I do a few each day..I usually just download one batch at a time, so I don't get overwhelmed.

bbenn: lol lol I worked on Mississippi the other night. Don't remember the county. All negroes...

Seventies Soulchild: Probably somewhere in the delta Mound Bayou, maybe?

bbenn: no, I would remember Mound Bayou. My age is showing ...memory issues:} lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol that's ok bbenn!

bbenn: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, no one believes me when I say where my mom grew up was all black. It was.

bbenn: Anybody taking the new ancestry DNA test?

Seventies Soulchild: No. No more DNA for a while.

bbenn: I am done with testing. Got to many relatives now who don't have any family information.

Selma: LOL

Daviss: lol bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: I'm trying to bulk up my family documents on the lines that I don't know much about.

bbenn: Also, don't need anymore test to tell me that I am African, European and Asian. Black is Black - ok lol lol lol

Selma: Bingo..

Seventies Soulchild: that would be the Henyards and the McFarlands. Speaking of. I had a McFarland relative move to Chicago... oh you can imagine how hard it is to find him or his descendants in the census.. lol Oh that's a line from a rap song bbenn... lol

Selma: Still trying to find my mom in NYC..so I understand seventies

bbenn: It is?lol lol

Daviss: If black is black, why are so many of the other persuasion so scared of having that drop lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yes the group De La Soul... you're hip! lol

bbenn: lol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Stupid. | :|

alt: rough ride today

Seventies Soulchild: Welcome Back alt.

bbenn: I have two interesting matches with 1% African. Oops! that's the drop lol lol

Daviss: wb alt

Seventies Soulchild: lol bbenn! I have a 23 and me match with .65% of two segments also in the L2a1 haplogroup. Still waiting for a response. Maybe she don't know that she's black? lol

Selma: Folks..gotta run have a great day, see you all tonight

Seventies Soulchild: have a good night

Daviss: bye Selma

Seventies Soulchild: and silence... lol

alt: I hear ya on the DNA stuff bbenn... I'm sort of DNA'ed out LOL

bbenn: I have two guest coming on my show with interesting books - the first guest is Regina Mason - the ggggranddaughter of William Grimes - A Runaway Slave who wrote the first slave narrative in 1824. Truly an interesting story.

Seventies Soulchild: This is on Thursdays show bbenn?

alt: looking forward to listening bbenn

bbenn: The second guest coming in June wrote about John Kizzell - A South Carolina Slave who returned to Sierra Leone to fight the slave trade. Folks from the Charleston area will love this story.

Seventies Soulchild: I just downloaded that William Grimes book to my kindle. Its free at the Gutenberg website.

bbenn: Thursday show is on True Miracles in Genealogy with Anne Bradshaw, Natonne Kemp and Sandra Taliaferro.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh I will be tuning into that.

Daviss: gotta hear Sandra

bbenn: Call in with your true miracle story.

Daviss: :o

bbenn: Regina Mason is working on a film about William Grimes. Yes Daviss, I know that you have a wonderful story to share! Right?:}

Daviss: nope

alt: these are exciting times with so many media outlets, newer sources becoming available and the technology... really a great time for historians & genealogists

Seventies Soulchild: You know, quick story. Once I started really getting my information about my slave ancestors and the Civil War, all of these places where they were enslaved just kind of caught my attention while driving up highway 61. I never ever noticed them before. In one trip.

bbenn: alt, you are right! I love it... got to run - nice chatting!:}

Daviss: bye bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: Well its just us 3 again.. lol

Daviss: bye

Seventies Soulchild: ha ha ha Daviss alt!

alt: everyone just left vkn

vkn: Howdy doody alt

alt: How you doing today?

vkn: Just reading about Henry Burke Such a good person he was

alt: yes, his passing was a shock, even tho' his health had been failing for the past year or two.

vkn: At times we would talk for hours

alt: now he could do that... him & Bennie LOL LOL

vkn: When is the service alt

alt: Friday.. 11 May

vkn: ahhhhh will you be attending I know you have that trip to Cinn

alt: Bennie & I may drive down to Marietta, OH for the service

vkn: oh ok that is good. Is the wife still living?

alt: yes, I think tis is perhaps his 3rd wife.

vkn: oh ok and children?

alt: several children living.... he has sons & daughters living in Germany.

vkn: ahhhhhh knew the UGRR like back of hand and penned many words thereof

alt: that's for sure about the UGRR

vkn: and was doing a periodic journal all those years ago and had opinions to the max lol

alt: Henry was an outstanding historian .... without the papers.

vkn: without the papers

alt: very strong opinions LOL lOL

vkn: Stood his ground regardless lol

alt: You should have heard some of the discussions between him, Bennie & myself.... none of us giving an inch LOL lOL LOL

vkn: His memory lives in all his works

alt: it certainly shall

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy