Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-12

** Chats Lobby

Start: 20:15:54
End: 20:16:15
Chatters: vee

vee: testing testing

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:00:44
End: 22:33:24
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, Ingrid_Doweary, ProfessorDru, ryan, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vicky

vicky: hello you two!

Seventies Soulchild: Hi vicky & 3rd

vicky: you see I am on time lol

Seventies Soulchild: LOL Now we can stop talking about you being CPT...lol

vicky: lol that might not last very long

Seventies Soulchild: lol So what's new with you all? Ancestry got me... :{

vicky: I am feeling pretty good tonight. I found some missing relatives for a friend of mine

Seventies Soulchild: OK

vicky: why the mean face lol

Seventies Soulchild: Well it was an unexpected charge and I only keep but so much in the checking acc't.... And it was just the first of the month....

vicky: call them now and cancel, they are 24 7

3rdthawkins: hello Seventies and vicky

vicky: they did that to me once and I cancelled lol . Then started up the next month They should at least give you a warning

Seventies Soulchild: So I didn't know, if I hadn't gone to the bank for another reason today... but I just transferred from my savings...BUT I still was pissed and the charge has gone up AGAIN

vicky: hi 3rd! what!!! how much?

Seventies Soulchild: with tax for 1 yr $168

3rdthawkins: What Tha! 8)

vicky: wonder if they announced that

Seventies Soulchild: Yeah that's what I said...

3rdthawkins: of course not vicky

Seventies Soulchild: When I first joined it was $99!

vicky: yeah me too

3rdthawkins: I didn't get a newsletter about that one

Seventies Soulchild: That's for U.S. Deluxe Its $12.95 a month

3rdthawkins: annual, right?

vicky: I didn't either.. I used to get a call before they went up as a courtesy

Seventies Soulchild: New management!

vicky: sheesh!! that should not make a difference

3rdthawkins: sure are trying to manage our wallets

Seventies Soulchild: oh but it does! I'm going to have to use family search more often!

vicky: I don't mind paying because its the best thing going but I would like to make up my own mind on whether I want to pay or not

AYWalton: Good evening all.

3rdthawkins: hello AY and alt

Seventies Soulchild: Right vicky Hi alt & AYWalton

AYWalton: Howy 3rd, alt, SoulChile, Ms. Vicky!

vicky: hello AYWalton and alt!

AYWalton: hope you are all well.

alt: Hello AYWalton 3rdthawkins Seventies Soulchild vicky

3rdthawkins: Familysearch is gaining ground on Ancestry, I think...........just have to do without images

vicky: heyyy missy are you in Samford

Seventies Soulchild: ooh what was that noise! lol

3rdthawkins: relie on index

AYWalton: lol, not yet. Traveling tomorrow. Orientation starts in the afternoon.

vicky: ok

Seventies Soulchild: Have a good time in B'ham...

AYWalton: I intend to, SoulChile. should be fun!

alt: yes, enjoy yourself and have a good week AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: Yes...and make sure you hit the 'neighborhood' :)

vicky: lol lol

AYWalton: looking for the ribs joint in advance. Putting out the word that I want some. lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: Familysearch is putting up some good stuff 3rdthawkins, but a looong way to go to catch Ancestry

vicky: oh Seventies, I went in to look at Frenchy's obit and found one for my paternal great uncles wife. I was in total shock

Seventies Soulchild: What?! Oh wow! When did she pass?

AYWalton: who is Frenchy?'

vicky: I called one of my cousins and he told only one person and they did not send the msg out

AYWalton: You don't mean the singer. or do you?

vicky: nope not her AYWalton

AYWalton: oh!!

Seventies Soulchild: Frenchy's is a restaurant and a food line started by Percy Creuzot

3rdthawkins: yeah, I may subscribe to ancestry when I really need to then cancel, in the meantime, I'll go to the library if they have a record I need........for now on, it seems I need to start buying records

AYWalton: who is Frenchy that you are referring to?

vicky: her name is Odessa H Davis seventies and she taught for years at Booker T in H-town

Seventies Soulchild: Percy Creuzot the owner recently passed. A big deal in houston.

AYWalton: ahhhh ok.

Seventies Soulchild: Wow.

vicky: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=odessa-h-davis&pid=143102719

AYWalton: is she the same French that SoulChile is talking about?

vicky: up at the top I saw his name and just happened to look down and saw her

Seventies Soulchild: Oh they're had her funeral at Wheeler Ave. Baptist... nice... No one in the family told you about her passing?

vicky: no AYWalton , Sharon mentioned that the owner of Frency's died so I went in to look for the obit

AYWalton: ahhh ok, now I follow you.

vicky: Frenchy, seventies claims has the best chicken so I tried one when I went to Houston

AYWalton: so how was the chicken?

vicky: lol

Seventies Soulchild: That's not a claim, its a bonified FACT, get it right ms vicky! lol

AYWalton: lol

vicky: well I guess it was awright

AYWalton: well there is one Church's franchise in Muskogee Oklahoma that folks drive from out of state to get. Don't be fooled by the Church's affiliation---two sistas own it and it will make you slap yourself!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Let me stop before I let my mouth get in trouble! lol

vicky: so based on the bragging she was doing her and Seraph I thought I would read his obit

AYWalton: anytime I am in Arkansas I get somebody to drive to Muskogee with me to get some of the sista's chicken! yes, stop while it's early SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: Oh so they use their own secret recipe huh?

AYWalton: oh yes!!!

3rdthawkins: Church's sho' is good AYWalton

vicky: lol seventies had me driving all over town with her "try this", and "go here' stuff lol lol

AYWalton: and folks run into folks they have not seen in ages---at Muskogee's Church's.

3rdthawkins: Guess they don't know nothing bout that

Seventies Soulchild: I'm tempted to post that skit by Ricky Smiley.... lol LOL That's the spot then AYWalton

AYWalton: oh yes---it is always a treat!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hey you had a good time didn't ya?! :)

3rdthawkins: I'm a witness AYWalton

AYWalton: If that place ever shuts down, they may as well close down the state!

vicky: oh yeah I did lol

3rdthawkins: lol AY

3rdthawkins: haven't had Church's in a long time

Seventies Soulchild: Me either 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

Selma: Evening everyone...

Seventies Soulchild: Hi Selma

vicky: every town has their "best there is" food hi Selma!

Seventies Soulchild: Why I love the Food Network... :)

Selma: You packed AY?

Seventies Soulchild: You're going too right Selma?

Selma: Nope my reservation was messed up..haven't figured out if they did it or I did I..I thought I was going

vicky: alt, my daughters co-worker scratched a 20 dollar ticket and hit the mil dollar prize

Selma: Wow........big prize vicky

alt: WOW!!!!!!!

AYWalton: amazing!!

vicky: yep it sure is

AYWalton: howdy Ms Selma! I did not see you come in. I was doing other things---like packing!

Selma: LOL

vicky: sorry to hear Sel that you are not going mabe the next one

alt: Hello Selma

Selma: Me too...I had it on my calendar since January

Seventies Soulchild: oh just crash it! lol

Selma: I thought about that too seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Well they didn't take your money did they?

Selma: No they did not take my money...I sent my money, and they very nicely called me to say, they did not have my registration which I had completed on line

Seventies Soulchild: oh that's got to be annoying

Selma: So they put me on the waiting list, but folks were not dropping out, so I am not going..and I am pissed cause I wanted to go..but thats Life

Seventies Soulchild: Well now you have a few extra dollars to buy something for yourself

Selma: I got company coming to visit...I am sure I will spend the money.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Silver lining in every cloud! lol

Selma: Very good post on Genealogy Theft AY..although the folks who do that would read and say "Thats not me"..

3rdthawkins: It is common courtesy to show some kind of gratitude and thanks

vicky: lol @ Selma

Seventies Soulchild: I agree 3rd...

AYWalton: oh thanks, Selma. We know how that goes with some folks. And they will never recognize themselves. (still multi-tasking) so Vicky, any Mariah leads?

vicky: nawww Aywalton, non at all

3rdthawkins: you're better off asking me if I found anything on my great grandfather Robert Johnson

AYWalton: I am still trying to zoom in on a USCT, vicky.

Selma: There is another picture of enslaved children in the VHS collection trying to find.

Seventies Soulchild: Who are you particularly looking for AYWalton?

vicky: I have been going page by page now on that agri census to see if can get a hit

AYWalton: trying to find one in TX.

vicky: ok AYWalton, you know I am waiting :o

AYWalton: when I am in Samford at the hotel at night I shall be on the hunt.

vicky: I am waiting to be an adopted genie

AYWalton: will miss Selma not being there. She was going to be my conference buddy.

Seventies Soulchild: I should be getting my USCT pension file sometime soon. I hope that this Charles Rounds & mother Charity Rounds are my relations. That would add a new person to my family tree. Someone who had been missing.

AYWalton: Vicky what is the cemetery that Lawrence Taylor is buried in?

vicky: yeah AYWalton I hear ya St Johns Baptist Church Cemetery

alt: you and Deborah Abbott should 'fit' well together AYWalton .

Seventies Soulchild: retirees and lotto winners have so much fun! I'm jealous! lol

AYWalton: ok, thanks. I have never met her, alt. I know who she is, though.

alt: you will like her.

vicky: who are those two together seventies lol

Selma: http://vhs3.vahistorical.org/starweb/vhs/servlet.starweb See if that works

Seventies Soulchild: hey ryan

AYWalton: Selma there is an error message with that link.

alt: error detected Selma

AYWalton: howy ryan.

vicky: error selma

ryan: hey 70s, Vicky, 3rd, Walton

alt: Hello ryan

vicky: hello ryan!

Selma: Umm..

Seventies Soulchild: tonight is movie night at the Soulchild house.. lol

Selma: I am trying to copy and past, but it won't let me

ryan: Walton, liked your youtube presentation (a little basic for most of *us*) but I found some good points too, thx

vicky: whats a movie Soulchild?

alt: copy & use crtl v

Seventies Soulchild: And we're getting ready to watch Cadillac Records. . . y'all have a good weekend y'all

AYWalton: glad you enjoyed it, ryan, thank you.

Seventies Soulchild: LOL Vicky you know that thing that plays at the movie theatre... a moving picture.. lol

vicky: you and the younguns

ryan: Vicky, I've been on the Zephyer hunt too, nothing yet.

vicky: lol @ seventies

ryan: 3rd, found some stuff on Lum, in ms

Seventies Soulchild: Yea they are not youngins anymore but men in training.

vicky: peeped around a bit today ryan myself

Seventies Soulchild: Alright have a good night everyone...

AYWalton: I see the sound is different upon exiting, now. Ahh---------and the names are back on the right!!! Just noticed that!

vicky: yes

AYWalton: yay!!!

Selma: Yes......vkn did it on Friday..oh happy day

ryan: I'll tell you, I think there is a spelling "situation" on those Zephyers, because though they show from, MS they are hard to find

AYWalton: wonderful!!! It feels better, now.

vicky: tsc, tsc AYWalton I'am telling vkn you did not notice yesterday lol

AYWalton: I was not online yesterday, I was at the archives. so I have a good excuse. lol

vicky: oh ok you are excused lol

AYWalton: was getting in a good 2 hours at ArchivesII.

Selma: Oh did you find any goodies

AYWalton: Selma have you ever researched there?

Selma: Just that one time I visited..and found the Danish slave records

AYWalton: yes, was still getting letters from some boxes. Amazing stuff.

Selma: You didn't send me the email you said you would ..on the letters

vicky: what they just bring a box down. is there any indication what is in each box

ryan: Zephyr augustin 24 m b la la orleans 6-wd new orleans 1870

Selma: She must be packing vicky...LOL

vicky: lol must be

AYWalton: ok back----yes, I am, lol ok I am trying to remember I was going to send you.........

Selma: Don't forget your tooth brush

AYWalton: bought a new one! probably won't get much sleep tonight. Thinking about other things to take

vicky: I will look at that one ryan

ryan: vicky - i think you know this one zepher i 28 m b ms tx brazos millican 1880

AYWalton: Oh Selma did you see my blog? I put up some items that I got last week from the Freedman's Bureau. (I also mentioned your name!)

vicky: yes ryan isom I think

Selma: Yes, I saw it... LOL

AYWalton: Not sure if the letter was legible, though.

Selma: Are you going to put the names that are in the letter?

AYWalton: I plan to transcribe it, yes. And that Buck Bushyhead I think was a Cherokee Freedman, and his widow filed for a pension, so he did not live long enough to the Dawes era. but the notation said he was black Choctaw. howdy Ingrid_Doweary.

Ingrid_Doweary: Howdy AY, Vicky, Alt, Ryan and Selma

AYWalton: yes, but that is a Cherokee name, so it will be interesting. when I come back from Samford, I will get the pension file. ProfessorDru is in da house!!!

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey ProfDru.

ProfessorDru: hey gang

AYWalton: how's it going? how did your presentation go?

vicky: AYWalton how much are the copies at NARA if you get them yourself?

ProfessorDru: It went well, Angela

vicky: hello ProfDru

AYWalton: these days I am using my digital camera, so the copies are free.

vicky: ahhh Ok

alt: Hello Dru

AYWalton: sometimes I make paper copies, but I am getting away from that if I can. If you order it, the cost is about $65 or something. SoulChile has ordered some---but the wait is long.

vicky: after you download to computer do you put then on a disc

ProfessorDru: I've been on Twitter all day chatting with attendees of the Southern California Jamboree

3rdthawkins: hello ryan Ingrid and Pro Dru..................ryan, so you found something on Lum?

AYWalton: I have a portable hard drive. I put images on that. that link worked, Selma.

Selma: I don't know how I did that...I was sending to myself... LOL

AYWalton: they had a great time, for sure. Have you considered going next year, Dru?

ProfessorDru: Depends on how things are with my grandmother, Angela. That's why I decided not to go.

AYWalton: Ahhh I can understand.

ProfessorDru: Have you been before, Angela?

3rdthawkins: ryan, I'm trying to see if there's any connection to South Carolina, the name is pretty much none existent until 1900s, but most are from China, I did find that there was a name similar to the Chinese name Lum/Lin, but I am coming up short in S.C., starting to do what my gf's sister put

AYWalton: no I have not attended. I would love to. But being on the other side of the country I would have to weigh my options.

ProfessorDru: When is the AAHGS conference? The website is not updated.

AYWalton: and this year---going to Samford cut into my budget. AAHGS is first weekend in October.

ProfessorDru: I understand, Angela When does the call for papers end?

AYWalton: http://aahgsnews.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/aahgs-annual-conference-call-for-papers-2010/

3rdthawkins: do=doubt ryan

ProfessorDru: or rather due?

AYWalton: July 30th. are you going to submit?

ProfessorDru: Thanks Selma

AYWalton: perhaps you should submit also for the Jamboree, ProfessorDru.

vicky: Pro dru was Lisa Lee in on the tweet

ProfessorDru: Not sure I didn't see Lisa on the Tweet today.

AYWalton: I don't think she tweets that much. I see that Elys the young girl met Megan Smolenyak.

Selma: Who is Elys?

vicky: Mariah is that you lol

3rdthawkins: lol vicky

ProfessorDru: It was quite exciting to read tweets from different people about what was being said at sessions.

vicky: as I am putting on my tennis

AYWalton: She is a young girl about 18-19 years old who makes genealogy videos. She was a speaker, I think at Samford.

vicky: good seeing young people involved AYWalton

AYWalton: true. well, it's 10 pm and I gotta keep packing. I hope to briefly pop in during the brunch tomorrow, folks. from Alabama. so I had better run.

Selma: Make sure you give us daily updates..

ProfessorDru: Are you planning to attend AAHGS this year, Angela?

AYWalton: Yes, I plan to, Dru. I shall do that, Selma. I plan to submit a proposal as well. Better run, folks. Have a great evening everyone.

Selma: I gotta run too folks..have a great evening

ryan: Sorry 3rd.. Well, I did a google site search, on the msgenweb site and there were a few hits on Lum, some were first name

3rdthawkins: hmmm any S.C. connections

ryan: Google site search, is pretty neat, and powerful.. 1860 Census Results: 11 Expand by State 1870 Census Results: 11 Expand by State 1880 Census Results: 25 Expand by State 1900 Census Results: 18 Expand by State 1910 Census Results: 15 Expand by State 1920 Census Results: 11 Expand by State 1930 Census Results: NA

3rdthawkins: yeah, I've tried it, but not too much, it only led me to the Chinese name Lum/Lin

ryan: those are all ms

3rdthawkins: oh ok seem like it gets bigger than smaller numbers

ryan: yea, those are from heritagequest

alt: AA Lums on Ancestry by Census year .... Results 11 1850 United States Federal Census 8 1860 United States Federal Census 61 1870 United States Federal Census 20 1880 United States Federal Census 94 1900 United States Federal Census 554 1910 United States Federal Census 94 1920 United States Federal Census 26 1930 United States Federal Census 1 U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1885

3rdthawkins: hmm, ok, thx alt

vicky: gotta go nite nite

3rdthawkins: nite vcky vicky

ryan: There you go 3rd, lots of possibilities (smirk).. as they say, all roads through virginia, well tennessee, well really, mississippi

alt: SC LUMS Search Results 4 1900 United States Federal Census 14 1910 United States Federal Census 4 1920 United States Federal Census 3 1930 United States Federal Census

3rdthawkins: I'm looking for Moses Lum, married a Phills/Phyllis (Perkins) 1870-1890

ryan: Lum moses G. 22 w ms ms lincoln montgomery 1880

alt: no hits for Moses Lum on ancestry

ProfessorDru: gotta go

ryan: Yea, like I said, Mississippi

3rdthawkins: they had at least one child Jessie (my grgr gm)......Phillis had other children Sidney, Susan, and Henry Perkins

ryan: would moses g be yours?

3rdthawkins: but this was from my grandfather's sister's research, so don't know where she got the infor

ryan: would moses g be yours?

3rdthawkins: don't know, have to look at the census hold on for a min

ryan: this moses g I found in MS is white

3rdthawkins: wonder what happened to them

Ingrid_Doweary: I don't know 3rd. I was just listening and completing family tree information. Please continue your summary results.

3rdthawkins: well, I was going to tell ryan I didn't think that Moses was mine, for one he's white, another he's in MS, my grgr gm was born in S.C.

Ingrid_Doweary: You reviewed more than one census year?

3rdthawkins: my grgr gm was born in 1870 or 1880 in S.C., MS is too far away

Ingrid_Doweary: What other sources could you review?

3rdthawkins: well, I've been looking through S.C. death records, just a few lums, nothing mentioning moses lum, some with moses and phills as parents but nothing that's definitive........I can't even find Phillis's other children she had I did first name searches, nothing matches, even with the spouses and children

Ingrid_Doweary: What about statewide marriage records?

3rdthawkins: No statewide, they are only county, and most didn't start mandating it until 1900s, Charleston County have them from 1877 to present part of Charleston Co turned into Berkeley Co. in 1882, where I believe my grgr gm was born

Ingrid_Doweary: Are you able to identify the nearest historical society or genealogy society for the counties that you are researching?

3rdthawkins: I don't know if they county, I know there one for the state

Ingrid_Doweary: Well hopefully you have your research findings written down. Perhaps the other researchers may be able to offer additional sources to consult. Sorry, I was not of much help. Talk with you next time. Good nite.

3rdthawkins: good nite

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy