Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-19 Clipped Draft Cards/Black

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:42
End: 13:19:43
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bbenn, Daviss, Seventies Soulchild, virginia, vkn

AYWalton: Howdy alt!!! How are you today??

alt: Hello AYWalton.. how ya doing today?

AYWalton: doing ok and you?

alt: I'm hanging in there LOL

AYWalton: I met a man yesterday at the Archives, who has free people ancestors from Ohio. He is from the eastern OH area, as I recall. the name was Brantfield or something like that. I have to find my notes. Nice fellow, though.

alt: okay. hope you had a nice time at the Archives yesterday.... many FPOC came in thru eastern Ohio. from PA, VA and the eastern seaboard.

AYWalton: yes that area. He said his family was from a community of about 11 families that were freed about 1820 or something. let me find his name.

alt: okay

AYWalton: ok his name was Gary Lyttle I want to say the name was Brantner, or Brantford, perhaps. I have his email, though. nice gentleman.

alt: Jane Campbell Arrington just went into the Settlers & Builders lineage society of OGS... her people were FPOC from Belmont & Jefferson Co. in eastern Ohio.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi alt & AYWalton

AYWalton: Arrington---hmm. I wonder if Mahulda Arrington was in her line. They came into SW Arkansas in the 1880s. Some connection to the Trents of Ohio, I believe. hey there, SoulChile!

alt: there were some Branson's coming into eastern Ohio.... Marlene Branson of Pittsburgh is a descendant of that group ca 1820-1840

AYWalton: they were also in the Pittsburgh area. could be related for sure.

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild , how are you doing?

AYWalton: Oh don't forget to tune into Bernice's show tonight.

Seventies Soulchild: Doing well. How are y'all doing?

AYWalton: the guest is a descendant of Dred Scott, and she--the guest is expected to reveal something new about the family history never revealed before!

Seventies Soulchild: I don't think I'm going to be listening tonight. Heading out to VA for a visit.

AYWalton: you will be able to catch it in the archived version online, then.

Seventies Soulchild: Not genealogy related lol

AYWalton: I see. Well enjoy, SoulChile.

alt: just talked with Madeline Norris, a TRENT descendant the other day... she is 87 y/o and still an active researcher of the UGRR, the AME church and her family history.

Seventies Soulchild: thanks AYWalton

AYWalton: oh that's wonderful!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hey Daviss

AYWalton: Next time you see her, ask if they are ever in touch with their Arkansas cousins.

alt: I shall do that AYWalton Hello Daviss

Daviss: Hello alt, AYWalton and seventies soulchild!!

Seventies Soulchild: Last night I pulled several WW I service cards from MDAH for the McFarlands and Henyards/Hinyards who still lived in MS.

AYWalton: MDAH?

Seventies Soulchild: Mississippi Archives

AYWalton: ok---remember we don't know every abbreviation.

Seventies Soulchild: oh sorry Mississippi Department of Archives and History MDAH

alt: Seventies Soulchild, was the lower left corner of the WW I Draft registrations 'cutoff'?

AYWalton: or just Miss Archives is ok. Just had no idea what MDAH was, and I have visited the place. But I know folks research multiple states and would have no idea what it is called unless I say state archives or something like that.

Daviss: I was up and at em still this morning around 2 am. I looked through every district in Creek Co Oklahima

Seventies Soulchild: No. This is the actual service card that shows their military information. There were no draft cards included in this record set.

AYWalton: alt, I think there were two, if not three different drafts. I have found some folks who were Black folks with nothing cut off. I think 2 of the 3 did do that, though. hello virginia, welcome to the Lunch Bunch chat.

Daviss: hello virginia

Seventies Soulchild: Hello virginia.

virginia: Good afternoon everyone.

Seventies Soulchild: Did you make any progress Daviss??

AYWalton: Hope life treats you well, virginia. Is this your first time here, virginia, or have you been here before?

alt: I know AYWalton, looking at 1 of the draft registration "blank" forms it states that for "Black/Negro" applications this corner is to be cutoff.... I've seen it both ways, cut off and not cut off.

virginia: Yes it is. I hope the same for you. Nope been here quite a few times.

alt: Hello virginia

virginia: Hi, alt

Daviss: well souldchild, not for my daughters folks. I also went into Jackson County and looked around there.

AYWalton: Most that I have seen did have them cut off, but I learned in a workshop that not all were done. Then I found a few that did not have them snipped. How is the research going, virginia?

Seventies Soulchild: I had to go through 4 towns and 2 counties to find my dad on the census

virginia: Slowly. What can I say? Still trying.

alt: the cut corner is a 'quick' identifier, like B, Mu, Neg in the Race/color column of census, ... not always true, as there are exceptions, but it is just a tidbit tool in looking for AA's.

Daviss: I found an ex sister in laws family in Jackson Co but did not find my x inlaws

AYWalton: well glad you found him SoulChile. I still have not found my own dad and grandparents.

Seventies Soulchild: Keep looking Daviss, but don't give yourself a headache.. lol

Daviss: virginia are you working through the 1940 census?

virginia: Found my Dad and his family in census. He was 17.

AYWalton: I agree with that, alt.

virginia: Looking for my Mom now.

Daviss: thats great virginia

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, do you think that they reported to the census?

AYWalton: that's nice, virginia. My dad should have also been a teenager, too. reported? The census taker came to the house, and collected the data. Folks did not report themselves.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, do you think they may have been skipped.

alt: with the 1940 census I now have folks, including myself, in records from 1820-1940.

virginia: Trying real hard. My generation is staring to leave now.

AYWalton: possibly, I have no idea.

Seventies Soulchild: I wasn't included in this last census in 2010

virginia: *starting

AYWalton: Have gone through the entire town twice, with every enumeration district.

Daviss: I haven't found my mom yet either and my dad was listed as ABS (absent) and working for the Conservation Corp

AYWalton: You did not participate, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: Probably not in 2000 either No I didn't. No letter and no visit In 2000 the census taker came to my house.

AYWalton: well for the next generation, go online and copy the form and put it in your family notes.

Seventies Soulchild: Money has a lot to do with it.

alt: you know you 'broke the law" Seventies Soulchild by NOT being counted in those census years LOL LOL

AYWalton: And put a note attached to it that you did not complete the form, so they won't be looking for you 72 years from now. lol

Seventies Soulchild: When I lived in TX they made sure they came to the neighborhood so that they could make sure their district could get that federal money.

virginia: That's a good idea AYWalton.

AYWalton: there were some households that were selected for census visits after the 2000 census.

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol alt I'm not worried about that.

AYWalton: we completed the form, but also got visits later. pay it forward and leave the data for the next generation.

Seventies Soulchild: Military people are strongly encouraged to complete the census... lol again MONEY

AYWalton: the same way for the long form---if you completed the short form in 2000, you can always print off the long form and put in the family records.

virginia: I workked census in 1990, and most people were cooperative. Don't know how many told truth though.

AYWalton: BUT----remember to fill it out in the context of the year 2000, and not with today's data. lol

Daviss: well the census is to make sure the areas get the electorial votes and the correct funding isn't it seventies?

alt: I read where Thomas MacEntee is discontinuning his blog radio talk show on a weekly basis and will do it on an 'as scheduled' program.

Daviss: correct funding for the government programs I hated the 2010 census. Not enough info to leave behind genealogy speaking lol

AYWalton: Yes, I saw that, too, alt. quite a surprise. I agree Daviss. I did not like it either. Howdy bbenn!!!

Daviss: heyy bbenn

AYWalton: Are you in DC today?

Daviss: wb virginia

alt: hello bbenn

bbenn: Hello alt, aywalton, Daviss, vkn, Virgina, Seventies

virginia: Thanks. Don't know what happened.

Daviss: oh bbenn, I could not find the toolkit info at Nara. I wanted to see the cost

bbenn: No, I needed a rest!

AYWalton: I hear ya! I was exhausted after yesterday, but had a great time!

Daviss: whoa! oops bbenn wb

alt: wb bbenn....

AYWalton: Oops did you get bumped bbenn?

bbenn: It cost 19.99. They probably have not put it on-line yet...aywalton and I picked up a copy because we had our press badges.

Daviss: oh ok thanks

AYWalton: I was there as AfricanRootsPodcast.

bbenn: aywalton, have you promoted the toolkit?

Daviss: Is it worth it?

AYWalton: Bbenn, I am excited about your show tonight! not yet, Bbenn. I will be on the podcast, and perhaps on a future video as well.

bbenn: it is interesting...good for a beginner...

AYWalton: Can't wait to hear what Lynn Jackson has to share!

virginia: Not a beginner, but I'm going to try to catch it.

Daviss: thats what I was thinking bbenn

bbenn: yes, I am also interested in her new findings!

AYWalton: And this will be the first time this new data will have been shared with the public?

bbenn: yes, first time.

AYWalton: that is amazing!!!

alt: when was the Dred Scott decision .. 1848 ???

bbenn: I have no idea what she is going to share! So if I say something like AMAZING! kick me.lol lol

AYWalton: I thought it was 1850s. Like 1857-58---something like that. Let me check.

Daviss: 1857

AYWalton: lol @ bbenn! ahhh ok, thanks Daviss I know that the Civil War started just a few years later.

alt: Okay, I thought it was a part of the Missouri Compromise ca 1848-1850.

bbenn: I have picked up a lot of followers this morning so look for new chatters in the chat room.

AYWalton: ahh that is great, bbenn!!!

alt: and I knew that it it had 1850 fugitve Slave Act implications.

AYWalton: that is exciting, too! bbenn, has Lynn's family been in touch with the descendants of the Blows? they are the one's who eventually bought Dred and Harriet's freedom.

bbenn: Don't know... get your questions ready for tonight...

AYWalton: Hmm.........I am guessing now----I wonder if they actually FOUND Dred's burial site!! maybe that's what is news.

bbenn: this is one of the questions I am asking her tonight.

AYWalton: (guessing of course)

Daviss: brb coffee cup empty

AYWalton: I know that the original cemetery is gone---not far from where the conference was. And it was said to have been moved. But there are doubts as to where it was supposedly moved. that would be a major find!

Daviss: ok back

bbenn: yes, that would be a major find.

Daviss: I hope I will be able to listen in real time :?

virginia: Got to run. Be back tomorrow.

bbenn: what's stopping you from listening in real time...sleep?

Daviss: I might need a one ringy dingy

bbenn: oh:}

alt: put a string on your finger as a reminder Daviss LOL LOL

AYWalton: I will give you a call, Daviss! don't want you falling asleep and missing it.

Daviss: no its actually around the time I try and cook dinner lol

AYWalton: or having dinner and forget to tune in.

Daviss: we are 2 hrs early bbenn

AYWalton: Are you 2 or 3 hours behind us, Daviss?

Daviss: no 3 hrs

AYWalton: ahhh ok I will give you a call about 15 minutes out!

bbenn: ok, I understand now:}

Daviss: ok thanks AYWalton

AYWalton: who knows what else she might be sharing, bbenn.

bbenn: we will see:?

Daviss: now bbenn lol

AYWalton: should be fun.

alt: you gotta keep the audience in suspense for most of the hour bbenn LOL LOL

AYWalton: lol

Daviss: lol lol lol

AYWalton: well if she reveals it right up front, I for one will be tweeting about it immediately!!! lol lol that's just what I do.

bbenn: yes, I will play around and then the big revelation!

AYWalton: or she might tell it right up front, too.

alt: yep, milk it bbenn, that's what the TV shows do.

AYWalton: I am going to pull out my book on the Scotts and re-read some of the notes. what else could it be----maybe a diary has been found! now that would be exciting too!! or the Blow's---maybe they left a diary! or............who knows?

Daviss: hahahahaha you sure are trying AYWalton

AYWalton: Yes, I am!!

bbenn: lol lol lol

AYWalton: I have a meeting this evening, at 6 pm, but I am leaving after only 1 hour to get home, eat and get set.tled for the program.

bbenn: Finally got the DNA confirmation that my gggreat grandfather is the brother of a person I suspected was kin.

AYWalton: I will surely have something to talk about in my podcast tomorrow.

Daviss: Oh really bbenn, how exciting

bbenn: We can continue the discussion on Afrigeneas tomorrow.

alt: was this thru a Relative Finder match bbenn

bbenn: Yes, the results arrived this morning thru 23andme. 4 segments matched

Daviss: oh so they released more matches

Seventies Soulchild: Hi bbenn

alt: wonderful bbenn...

bbenn: Yes

Daviss: thats wonderful

bbenn: the great thing is that I already had the paper trail going back to 1820

Daviss: so you got this person to take the test then bbenn

alt: I have nearly 400 matches on RF and really none that I can follow thru a paper trail.

bbenn: yes, she was the only one willing to test!

Daviss: I bet you and she jumped at the same time

bbenn: This match is great because all of the other relatives all know each other. So now, I have one great big family.

Daviss: Congrats bbenn!

alt: what was the 'cousin relationship' reported by 23andme?

AYWalton: Going to run, folks. Have a good afternoon.

bbenn: 2nd to 4th cousin

alt: okay bbenn thanks

bbenn: we met on facebook

Daviss: oh really!!

bbenn: I have met at 5 matches on facebook.

alt: so you pretty mucxh had the paper trail figured out and then the DNA confirmed the relationship?

bbenn: this is the first with confirmed paper trail.

Daviss: now that I love hearing about bbenn

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't been able to establish a papertrail with any of my DNA matches. Just locations of family. All under different surnames.

alt: wonderful

bbenn: I suspected that we were related but, needed that last piece of information.

Seventies Soulchild: Congratulations on your connections bbenn. Truly wonderful

bbenn: thanks by the way, all of my matches are young folks...I have to ask --who is your mama and daddylol lol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Oh interesting bbenn

Daviss: lol you know thats a standard question lol

alt: I can believe that!!!!

bbenn: one person I told to call his grandma...he did not know anythinglol lol lol

alt: you're fortunate to have found a 'young person' that has a paper trail.

bbenn: I have a hard time with folks who have one surname...lol

Seventies Soulchild: bbenn, I've been getting people from Concordia Parish in my closer matches for my granddaddy.

alt: I heard that bbenn...

bbenn: I had the paper trail...the young person just had an interest. I connected the dots by asking a lot of questions.

alt: okay

bbenn: I also had a couple of matches from Concordia Parish...hey, do you match melol lol lol just kidding!

Seventies Soulchild: lol no not yet! lol

bbenn: signing off folks..I will look for you tonight in the chat! bye

Seventies Soulchild: have a good day bbenn

Daviss: that tells me I need to go in and download my nieces La dad and hubby and look for you lol later bbenn

bbenn: thanks, I need to take a walk.

Seventies Soulchild: Who me? hi vkn

Daviss: bbenn

vkn: Howdy and Hello alt daviss seventies

Seventies Soulchild: oh. you just hurt my feelings. Thought you were looking forward to being my cousin or something... lol

Daviss: You did not 23 and me did you 7? lol

Seventies Soulchild: I didn't do it. My granddaddy did

Daviss: see lol Hi there vkn!

Seventies Soulchild: I'm related 4th cousin to Nicka Sewell

Daviss: I could look for your grandaddy on my nieces hubby's rf

Seventies Soulchild: Or I should say my grandfather is. I know we have relatives in LA, but I'm not well researched on that family. I heard a rumor that my great grandfather, Calvin had an aunt in Louisiana. But cannot confirm this.

Daviss: I guess once they get all the straglers kits out of the way they can get back to business

Seventies Soulchild: yes

vkn: Hope all is well with all today

Seventies Soulchild: yes all is wonderful vkn

alt: gotta run y'all take care.... bbenn, hope to be there tonite for your show!.

vkn: Glad to hear

Seventies Soulchild: ok be good alt...

Daviss: bbenn been gone lol

vkn: bbenn I not seeing you

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss, I received a message from someone telling me that there are no blacks in North Africa.

Daviss: oh really seventies where was this

Seventies Soulchild: My results matched to groups out of Ethiopia, and particularly a small town of Sephardic Tunisian Jews. This was on 23andme Daviss. I was a little hot about it. I know better than that.

Daviss: did you respond to them

Seventies Soulchild: You know I did. lol

Daviss: whats up vkn?

Seventies Soulchild: Similarly to the way I responded to the man on Ancestry who was accusing me of records 'theft' lol

Daviss: lol lol

vkn: Too much

Daviss: I hear ya vkn

vkn: records theft? how so?

Seventies Soulchild: lol well I had a post going on Ancestry about Mississippi records and how to obtain them etc. Then this guy jumps into my conversation talking about Texas records and how taking a photograph of the records is theft. He was dismissed New York style.

vkn: I see

Seventies Soulchild: and this was a Mississippi forum.

Daviss: he thought that using a camera was theif

Seventies Soulchild: He should've been minding his Texas business.

Daviss: theft

Seventies Soulchild: Anway its how I do my research when I can

vkn: Was Yatah here today?

Daviss: no vkn not today

vkn: Thanx

Daviss: welcome

Seventies Soulchild: Ladies Its after 1 and I've got to get going. If I'm up tonight, which I probably will be I'll check you out on bbenn's show.

Daviss: she would have been in by now vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Have a great afternoon

vkn: Talk atcha later daviss

Daviss: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy