Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-04-18 WWI Records

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:09:25
End: 13:17:32
Chatters: alt, Daviss, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn, yatah

Daviss: hi there alt and yatah!

alt: hi ladies

Daviss: hello vkn!

yatah: hello

Daviss: Hi Seventies Soulchild!

Selma: Afternoon folks

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all! alt, Daviss, Selma vkn, yatah!

vkn: Howdy to alt and all

alt: hello Selma, Seventies Soulchild, yatah, Daviss,

Seventies Soulchild: I'm officially stuck with my research. Its going to be a minute before I have something new to talk about. What are you all up to?

Daviss: Well that I can understand seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss, I'm just well a little fatigued and a bit discouraged with my research honestly.

vkn: Glad to see each and all Selma Seventies Daviss Yatah

Daviss: So you have done all your collateral kin and everything

alt: "officially", huh? LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol yes it is official.

Selma: YOu have identified "all" the records you need to research I have been indexing alot of Washington DC 1940 records..lots of folks identified as Lodgers in other folks homes

alt: have you tried to fins new/additional information on folks you already have entered into your dtatbase?

Daviss: Hi Selma, I did not see you come in

Selma: I came in quiet for a change

vkn: lol

Daviss: hellooooooo Seventies lol

Seventies Soulchild: yes I have alt... hey I was getting some cheesecake.. lol

alt: Selma, I'm listed as a "nephew" and my father is listed as a Lodger in the home of my grandaunt where we were residing for the 1940 census,

Daviss: so you have done Collateral research also seventies?

alt: Just keep on looking for new information on those folks already in your databse Seventies Soulchild. I'm finding & adding new stuff everyday.

Seventies Soulchild: Some yes Daviss :}

Selma: A number of these folks could be family members..who have moved from rural areas to DC

alt: an by doing thise I often find information on other folks that I had no information on.

Seventies Soulchild: yes, I do have some information to look up for my gg grandmother's sister Mary from the VA

Daviss: are you doing the whole precinct or just the 5 pages front and back seventies?

Seventies Soulchild: 10 pages back and forward.

alt: the 1940 census for example.... did your folks own or rent? how much did they earn in 1939? where were they located in 1935, what was the highest level of education attained?

Daviss: ok because I have found that the very next door neighbor to my Joseph is listed two pages over

Seventies Soulchild: What I have been finding as my resarch went on is that the neighbors were some kin to the persons I had identified as relatives

vkn: Alt do you enlarge the text when you come to chat ?

Daviss: from what I can tell the census person went down one country road and came up on the other side..

Seventies Soulchild: ah ok.

alt: and as Daviis just pointed out the next door neighbor may be 2 pages away... as the "route" taken by the enumerator was not necessarily as we might think it would be. No I don't enlarge the text vkn.

vkn: hmmmm ok

Daviss: I have a cousin who lives about two blocks down that appears several lines down on the census. This of course is the 1930 census

alt: and in towns they may have circled the block before before they got to the other side of the street.

Seventies Soulchild: vkn that article you posted was um interesting.

vkn: okies which

Seventies Soulchild: TV Genealogy Shows & "Skip Gates" That guy was a pompous @$$ http://tinyurl.com/7hdnr4v

vkn: Oh yes I too thought it was of interest

Seventies Soulchild: Alright now since no one wants to discuss anything in the main forum... Anyone working on any military family members

alt: always Seventies Soulchild .. any aspect of the ancestors/relatives lives.

vkn: Ingrid I hope will soon take up the military banner

Seventies Soulchild: ok. Anyone working on WWI african americans?

alt: yes, anything in particular Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: I was looking over the military records for Adams Co, MS something I'm glad they released and I see many AAs who worked in the stevadore corp and labor corps

vkn: Seventies I like to focus the Reconstruction era

Selma: Have identified 2 WW I soldiers in the cemetery working on now...

Seventies Soulchild: WW I seems very untapped

Selma: I expect we will find more as we progress

Seventies Soulchild: At least for AAs. Partially because the records are still closed.

yatah: i not rem who one of you found that mary's parent i know it been long time ago gave to me

alt: I guess Seventies Soulchild, but as Selma often points out records are records and AA's just happen to be in them Miliatry & otherwise, but not always specifically.

Seventies Soulchild: Well I was referring to pension records and such.

Selma: I have a copy of the book PIctorials of AA in WWI..it belonged to my mother in law's father..great photos

alt: for a point of discussion .. why would AA military records be closed?

Seventies Soulchild: oh my coke may be cold...brb

alt: maybe thes types of records are just now becoming available online.

Seventies Soulchild: I guess I should've been more clear. I was referring to service records kept at the VA

Selma: Yatah..if you don't mind me asking What have you done with all the material we sent you?

Seventies Soulchild: Most of the records I've been able to look at were people who turned in their DD214's or Service Records to the county they lived in.

yatah: Name: Joe Boderick Birth: date Death: dd mm 1972 - city, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, United States of America Civil: South Carolina if you can open one on ancestry.com ? i cant open i not member of that

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I would like to know more though about the units that AAs were assigned to.

yatah: selma , i keep in file as save in case it match

Selma: Yatah..who is Joe Boderick

Seventies Soulchild: I did a little research on Camp Shelby, MS

vkn: Good question Selma. Several chats ago I did ask Yatah how she organized research we had assisted her with ans suggested she use TribalPages

yatah: selma, that mary darby's father

Selma: Yatah..what do you want me to look for? The census?

alt: was Camp Shelby a segrgated camp?

yatah: yea please i thanks

Selma: What time period? What year census?

yatah: vkn, i still have rootsmagic 5

alt: or was Camp Shelby a camp where A''s were assigned?

Selma: Jeez eating some Keebler's shortbread with cashews cookies..very goo

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it was alt

yatah: do to add name that you ask me right

Seventies Soulchild: Camp Shelby was segregated and all soldier for WWI & II from MS had to report there for training. Or when they were drafted.

yatah: selma, 1870to 1900 if you cant find that fine withme

alt: so it was a camp for both, but had segregated sections for the AA troops.

Seventies Soulchild: Today its a state guard location. Yes

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild,

yatah: i finish add name on family tree as far i have

Seventies Soulchild: Selma cookies and cashews.. yummy!

yatah: i did check

Seventies Soulchild: Any other special areas you find yourselves researching?

Selma: Yatah...is this for South Carolina? What county in South Carolina?

yatah: yes south carolina , calhoun

alt: records for different State licenses... Barbers, Beauticians and other special occupations.

Seventies Soulchild: Where would that information be housed alt?

vkn: Naughty headache needing to take nap

Seventies Soulchild: Y'all be careful with these headaches. I have a few people in the family who were carpenters in MS

alt: many are found at State archives in gov't records for business

Seventies Soulchild: I will have to check in Jackson for that. I wonder how deannie's trip is going??

alt: I found another intersting record set for Ohio in the early 1800's ... county bounty payments for "wolf scalps".

Seventies Soulchild: to control the wolf population? that is interesting. Thought that was only in states like Montana, North & South Dakota.

Selma: Yatah..I don't see that name in Joe Boderick in Calhoun in 1880 or 1900..or the surname at all Calhoun

Seventies Soulchild: How much were the bounties worth alt?

yatah: oh really

alt: can't remember the exact amount Seventies Soulchild,

yatah: Name: Joe Boderick Birth: date Death: dd mm 1972 - city, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, United States of America Civil: South Carolina try

Selma: Those populations were probably wiped out in other states early seventies

Seventies Soulchild: It still interesting though...

yatah: you can open that selma

alt: right Selma... Ohio has re-instituted hunting and payment for Coyotes skins.

Seventies Soulchild: interesting.

vkn: Bad news about TX nurse killing mom and abducting 3 day old child

Seventies Soulchild: really? Didn't hear about that.

Selma: It was a nurse that killed the mother..?

Daviss: yes vkn I saw that on the news last night

vkn: yes Selma an RN

alt: bad news travles fast thes days. especailly if it is gruesome.

yatah: yes on news

Selma: Yatah is this a social security death index

yatah: yes

Seventies Soulchild: ok let me get out of here to eat my cheesecake... see y'all later. have a good day.

alt: hey Daviss, you still with us?

Daviss: nope lol

alt: Oops, I see you are LOL LOL

vkn: daviss is mighty quiet

Daviss: yeah I am alt lol lol

Selma: Sorry don't see yatah.. Think I need a nap too.

Daviss: I am mt'ing for a change

Selma: Gosh these cookies are good

alt: cut that out Selma LOL LOL

Daviss: I wish I had a cookie

yatah: that allright thanks

Selma: Talk to you all later...

Daviss: looks as if I can take a walk also. I need to look up a few more records

vkn: Will sign off to nap

Daviss: lol take care vkn

vkn: yassum

yatah: wow talk is over :(

alt: okay. let me get back to whatever it was that I was doing.... can't remember what is was cause that wa an hour ago LOL

Daviss: yep yatah sometimes its like that

yatah: oh well

Daviss: its just 10 am here and I have not had breakfast yet

alt: yatah, you may have to find records of when this person left SC for them to have died in DC.

Daviss: cant think on an empty stomach yatah are you the only one in your family doing research?

alt: remember records are good for only the "date' of the record... you've got to fing out where they were and why between the dates on these records.

yatah: Name: Joe Boderick Birth: date Death: dd mm 1972 - city, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, United States of America Civil: South Carolina that i need one it open

Daviss: Selma could not open that yatah

alt: bye y'all

yatah: i wish i can look up bec there is match dang it

Daviss: sometimes it works like that If Selma could have gotten it she would have given it to you

yatah: yeah i understand

Daviss: its hard research isn't it..but we keep trying

yatah: yeah not gave up

Daviss: some folks have been looking for years and years...even me since 1990

yatah: my line darby is stop generation 2 as far

Daviss: I hear ya Yatah..

yatah: mine quiller generation 4 as far now alike look 5 gen is my grandpa's children and grandchildren lol

Daviss: lol your Darby might be that far back too, you never know lol

yatah: you remember i try find josephine darby quiller record back 1900

Daviss: it will take time.. I get frustrated more than I need to but I have to stop for a day or two yes I sure do remember yatah

yatah: ohh there is orphelia is middle name for josephine it make sense year darby maybe more back too

Daviss: yep, it has to be in order for them to be where they are now lol it just takes lots of research when you find them I will hear you jump for joy i will probably faint when I find mine lol

yatah: i really thank someone in south carolina who work museum/ cutural center help me

Daviss: thats good yatah!

yatah: yeah i wish i save the information about mintz and davis

Daviss: ok well listen I have to go now.. You have a good rest of the day. I have to get something to eat

yatah: there some white online i will thanks take care

Daviss: the info is probably still there in your notes somewhere yatah you told me long time ago you printed it out

yatah: yeah in shed i need find one lol yeah

Daviss: so take your time and find it

yatah: i will let you your lunch

Daviss: ok bye

yatah: ill do that

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy