Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2010-06-11

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:10:19
End: 13:40:07
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, freeaainnc, ProfessorDru, ryan, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, Spivey, vee, vicky, vkn

ProfessorDru: hello 3rd

3rdthawkins: hello Pro Dru

ProfessorDru: Where is everybody today?

3rdthawkins: don't know wb Dru, I don't know where they are I wonder if they have a problem getting in

ProfessorDru: I just found a marriage date online for my Uncle Andy B.

3rdthawkins: that's great

ProfessorDru: It was through an online database on the website of the New York Public Library.

3rdthawkins: really? did you have to have a library card?

ProfessorDru: no

3rdthawkins: hmmm, I'm going have to check there, I did before but thought a LC was required, I'm looking for marriage rec for my great grandparents what time period was it Dru? hello Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon 3rd and ProfessorDru

ProfessorDru: Here is the link, 3rd, http://www.italiangen.org/NYCMarriage.stm

Seventies Soulchild: Got your update on facebook. glad everything went good with the seminar

ProfessorDru: Hey Soulchile

Seventies Soulchild: I hope that those pages helped.

3rdthawkins: oh, italiangen, yeah I've been there, found my gr gm in the death index, ordered her DC

ProfessorDru: I was just telling 3rd that I just found the marriage date of my Uncle Andy B.

Seventies Soulchild: ok the uncle who passed away in LI? I was browsing through a couple of sites this AM

3rdthawkins: NYC L directed you to that?

ProfessorDru: yes, this was his first marriage. Now I plan to order the marriage license yes 3rd

3rdthawkins: as I said, that's where I found my gr gm in the death index but nothing for a marriage rec between her and my gr gf

ProfessorDru: Many libraries have some records or indexes online.

Seventies Soulchild: So he was married in NY, ProfessorDru

ProfessorDru: Was that in NY, 3rd?

3rdthawkins: I think they did get marry in NY

ProfessorDru: yes, Soulchile, May 28, 1924

3rdthawkins: 1930, the same year they appeared in the NY census for Jamaica on LI

Seventies Soulchild: Jamaica, queens?

3rdthawkins: yes

Seventies Soulchild: I'm on HQ looking for surnames in MS

3rdthawkins: well, it was a good find for you Pro Dru, hope I can find one for my gr gps hello Spivey

Spivey: Good afternoon everyone.

Seventies Soulchild: hi Spivey

Spivey: Seventies Soulchild, you live in New York?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes

Spivey: Did you every hear about the War of 1812 cemetery in upstate New York?

ProfessorDru: hello spivey

Seventies Soulchild: No I hadn't heard of it. What city or county is it located in?

Spivey: Hi ProfessorDru.

Seventies Soulchild: heyyyy vicky! lol

Spivey: Let me get the URL Seventies Soulchild.

vicky: hello

ProfessorDru: hello vicky

vicky: overslept!

Spivey: Hello, Miss vicky!!

3rdthawkins: hello vicky

vicky: any research news bust wide open while I was sleeping :?

Spivey: http://members.tripod.com/~wnyroots/index-1812.html

3rdthawkins: Pro Dru had some good news concerning her uncle

Spivey: That's the URL Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: um vicky how do retired folks 'oversleep'??? lol thanks Spivey

3rdthawkins: you get tired over and over again...hence RE-tired :}

vicky: lol lol easy seventies easy!

Spivey: I found the facts of the cemetery interesting, Seventies Soulchild. I think everyone will.

Seventies Soulchild: No you said it like you had somewhere to go or something to do.. lol

ProfessorDru: yes I found Uncle Andy B's marriage date online on the site of the New York Public Library

Seventies Soulchild: Erie county is up near Ohio Spivey... way far West NY State

vicky: heyy I got business sometimes ;)

Seventies Soulchild: I could get sassy here, but I'ma keep my mouth SHUT! lol

vicky: thats great professorDru lol @ seventies

Spivey: The fact I find interesting, Seventies Soulchild, is that of the 200 soldiers buried there only about 20 were from New York. Someone may find a lost ancestor's burial there. They were from about 5 different states.

vicky: did you ever get up to the archives prof dru

Seventies Soulchild: Right that's interesting indeed.

3rdthawkins: I'm wondering where in the world my great grandparents got married.......and this is staring to be a trend, cause I have the same problem with my great grandparents on my mother side

ProfessorDru: not yet, vicky plan to go the week of June 21st.

Seventies Soulchild: You know I think I saw this location, don't laugh, in a haunted places book.

3rdthawkins: staring-starting

ProfessorDru: I gotta run now. Bye

3rdthawkins: bye Dru

Seventies Soulchild: bye prof dru

Spivey: The cemetery, Seventies Soulchild? Oh my goodness!

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

Seventies Soulchild: Yes... a lot of those places are historical locations that people claim are haunted. A good side reference for those who are or may be looking. They keep good records at those locations about their histories.

Selma: Good Friday Afternoon lunchbunchers

Seventies Soulchild: Like the William Johnson house in Natchez is supposed to be haunted.

vicky: have you all ever thought you were not alone or seen something wisk by you and there was no one there :?

Seventies Soulchild: Nope..

vicky: hello Selma!

3rdthawkins: little tiny flying bugs, but nothing else

Spivey: Hmmm. Maybe I should use sites like that, Seventies Soulchild. Have any URLs?

vicky: but you saw those bugs 3rd lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: Its been so long since I've been on those sites... let me see if I can bring one up. brb

Selma: Vicky, where is alt today?

Seventies Soulchild: http://www.prairieghosts.com/mosthaunted.html Now I did go to the Myrtles Plantation since its on the way to my grandfather's place about 4 yrs ago...

Spivey: It is interesting to note that , of the 205 soldiers buried there, only 12 were from New York State. Others, infantrymen and artillerymen, were from New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia North Carolina, Ohio, and Kentucky.

vicky: no idea Selma.. This may be his going to the doctor check up day

Spivey: Thanks, Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: This one is better Spivey http://theshadowlands.net/places/

Spivey: Alt isn't here. Wonder if he would be interested in that 1812 graveyard site since he researches in Ohio.

Seventies Soulchild: I wonder why they put the cemetery so far upstate though? Maybe the Brits were attacking from Canada All I know about the War of 1812 is that they burned down the White House, supposedly It was 'brick' but they had to rebuild and paint it white... lol

Spivey: lol I didn't remember which war that was Seventies Soulchild.

Seventies Soulchild: I think that's a load of crock

Spivey: I didn't think it was brick, at least at the time it was burned down.

Seventies Soulchild: Now I'm going to have to locate the 1812 vets buried near me.

vicky: the rare photo that was found in NC was really intriguing. That one boy on the right sure resembles my Daviss/Davis folks

Seventies Soulchild: ok. you read the article? Did you see the bill of sale?

vicky: yes I did

Seventies Soulchild: I thought that was interesting that he took the photo of the boys. . . maybe it was for some kind of insurance

vicky: dunno even the tree in the background looked old

Seventies Soulchild: Whoever that collector is does a h3ll of a job finding the artifacts.

vicky: money talks seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Well you have to find the stuff first ms vicky

Spivey: Lots of slave owners took photos of their slaves, Seventies Soulchild. Maybe just because or, like you said, maybe for insurance purposes. Insurance doesn't sound likely though because I don't think photos would have been sufficient proof of ownership.

vicky: people like that have there ways seventies. There are even underground places to acquire stolen artifacts, paintings etc not that that was the case here

Seventies Soulchild: Yep... last year I was saying that Christie's and Sotheby's love to come to the Beverly (district) where my mom was raised looking for artifacts.

vicky: look at Baker who has those wonderful pics of his ancestors

Seventies Soulchild: it is one of the most rural locations in that part of MS But there are about 5 plantations within a 50 mile radius Not to include Natchez Who's Baker?

vicky: He (Baker) sent me a pic of one that was given to him but was to late to put in his book

Seventies Soulchild: ah okay

ryan: Hi all Long time no speak, just stopping by to check on y'all

Selma: Afternoon ryan

Seventies Soulchild: Where are you in your research?

ryan: kinda in a lull, summer is usually slower, I got full steam ahead fall winter

3rdthawkins: anymore slave research ryan?

vicky: John Baker.. He wrote The Washingtons Of Wessingtons Spivey

ryan: so, not much has changed since last time we talked 70's

vicky: heyyy ryan

3rdthawkins: ok ryan

ryan: hey vicky

Seventies Soulchild: Yep I hear ya ryan. I'm busy thinking about vacay... lol

3rdthawkins: vicky would you know if John Baker could be a descendant of John Baker Scott?

ryan: cool, going somewhere special 70's? Mississippi maybe :) ?

vicky: ryan in your travels if you come across any Miss Zephyrs let me know no idea 3rd

ryan: Zephrs, location ?

Seventies Soulchild: I should, but I don't know... haven't gotten my airline tickets yet If I do it will truly be a last moment decision Sad right... lol

ryan: plans to go elsewhere?

vicky: all I know is Ms ryan lol

Seventies Soulchild: My BFF hubby is in basra, Iraq soooo thinking about going on vacay with her to support her thru this tough time

ryan: Ok Vicky, got it.. I will keep an eye out.. time frame?

vicky: just like NC and Al, all I know is the states no counties :( late 1800's to early 19's where is she living seventies thanks ryan, ya never know NY

Seventies Soulchild: oh yes... at WP

ryan: np vicky (thats why we're here)

vicky: oh ok, I was thinking H-Town indeed ryan

ryan: have you checked the familysearch (pilot search) ?

Seventies Soulchild: I should go to MS, huh?

vicky: oh yeah, in fact thats is where I found my first Zepher. It seems my ggggrandfathers daughter Lydia married a Zepher/Zephyr the only reason I saw that was because my mother is names zepher and I was curious I was in total shock when I saw the name of her father and the informant was my grandfather

ryan: There is a town called Zephyr in Copiah county

vicky: I think this Lydia was the first child of my ggggrand because the mother's name was not inc She was born in 1851 or 2 so it was too early for a marrriage lic in Tx

Seventies Soulchild: Alright... talk to you all later this weekend

vicky: bye seventies

ryan: later 70s

3rdthawkins: supposedly TX marr. go back to 1840 on the pilot site but not sure if it will include blacks/slaves I would love to see if there will be a marr rec for my grgrgr grandparents Ed and Rosetta Hughes they "married" in the 1860s

ryan: Vicky, I'm sure you've seen these but its worth a shot http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#placeId=54&alivePlaceLoc1=Mississippi%2C%20United%20States&p=recordResults&surname=Zephyr&searchType=close

3rdthawkins: I wonder if familysearch will update TX marr. I would suspect so because the recs suppose to go up to 1973 and they barely have some for 1930s

vicky: yes ryan, thats where I got the Lydia you see there she is my gggaunt

ryan: ok.. (gotta catch up)

vicky: I talked to someone on the phone who is a Minor and asked her if that Ella was in her line

ryan: Clue - Isom is a very common surname name in my area around Marshall county The other clue, I know the white folks usually named their sons the surname of the mothers maiden name a lot so, Isom could have been the surname of his mother

vicky: I am still trying to get a hit on them. ok thx ryan Marshall County and what was that other one

ryan: another clue - Many of the folks from Marshall county, and north MS migrated to TX late 1800s

3rdthawkins: my step-grandfather's grandmother was Henrietta Isom, they lived in TN

ryan: Copiah Excactly, Isom, near the MS border ?

Selma: Gotta go folks..have a great day

Spivey: I will see everyone later. 'Bye for now.

3rdthawkins: ryan, I am following similar clues with my Townsend, my great grandfather was Fed Townsend born in TX, but his father was born in MS.......they lived in Panola Co. TX......which was named after a County in MS, and I find a lot of Fed Townsend's in MS I said great grandfather , I meant great great grandfather I'm just trying to find a connection somehow

ryan: Yes, Ms to Tx very common late 1800s

3rdthawkins: but my Townsend's disappear in 1870

ryan: Fayette county texas up to dallas a lot of the whites from Marshall county went, though many of my ancestors disappear then too

3rdthawkins: no Townsends in Panola Co TX in 1870

vicky: who do you have in Fayette ryan?

ryan: The slaveowners of my GGgrandfather moved to Lagrange

vicky: wow, who were they. I have Sims, and Pierce

ryan: What happened there I think Fayette, TX was named after Fayette, TN because lots of the whites that settled in Lagrange, Faytte TX came from Fayette, TN

vicky: and Jefferson Jeffersons from Tn

ryan: Pennington was a name that went to Fayette Goodlett again, those were names of the white slave owners, I followed thier trackes lookin for my people

vicky: awesome!

3rdthawkins: hello vee

vicky: hello vee

ryan: Hi vee

vee: Howdy 2 all and to each

3rdthawkins: hello free

vicky: my grandmother on my paternal side and her parents all from Lagrange

freeaainnc: hi!

vicky: hello there freeaainnc

freeaainnc: hi vicky, ryan, vee

ryan: really ? Wow..

vee: I see from the boards that peeps are having problems getting in here

ryan: Hey Free.. Ok Vicky, question - is this the same line (or related) that the Zephr comes in ?

freeaainnc: I did vee! turned out I was using an old link

vee: Vicky is that LaGrange Texas

ryan: Yes Lagrange Texas

vicky: yes vee

vee: freeaainnc ahhh thanx free now that gives me an answer

vicky: they are all on my paternal side ryan not the same line my grandfather James Penn Daviss married Gertrude Sims

ryan: Ok, Sims is another very common name from Marshall county check this out http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#placeId=1264247&alivePlaceLoc1=La%20Grange%2C%20Fayette%2C%20Texas%2C%20United%20States&p=recordResults&surname=pennington&searchType=close Martha, her grandfather owned my great great grandfather\

vicky: http://www.afrigeneas.com/preciousphotos/photo082.htm my grandmother Sallie and her 2nd husband John Lewis

ryan: Martha was raised in Marshall county, MS and Migrated to Lagrange, TX with her husband Goodlett

vicky: she was born a Jefferson vee I saw Lisa's post

3rdthawkins: I think Richard had a problem getting in to

ryan: Nice Pic Vicky

vicky: thx ryan I just found out the names of the two kids and the link to them about a year ago

ryan: where did Sims come from Vicky?

vicky: so was Pennington your Slave Owners name ryan

3rdthawkins: so you have Simms in your line also vicky?

ryan: Yes, they owned my grgr grandfather

vicky: not sure where they came from. May be Va

3rdthawkins: hmmm, my four older brothers are descendants of Simms, they were in VA/MD/DC area

vicky: so many times the census will tell you Tx but you know its not the case

freeaainnc: bye folks!

3rdthawkins: lots of Simms in the DMV

vicky: There was a Price Sims and a fletcher Sims.. I think they are the same my grandmothers DC states her father was Price, and her sister's states Fletcher

3rdthawkins: perhaps Fletcher Price Simms could be the name?

vicky: the sisters informant was her x hubby so he may have gotten it mixed up those are my thoughts 3rd or vice versa

ryan: Vicky, here is Graves Pennington and Martha Pennington when they were children. They're dad died and left them slaves and other property. These 2 were born in Nashville, TN, but raised in Marshall County, TN.. Martha Married Goodlett, then Moved to Langrange, TX 1880. Graves, her brother followed later. http://www.onefast.org/tonyr/pennington/henry_pennington_presentation/index_files/Page334.htm

3rdthawkins: I would put it that way even if it's not, you know you have two different names

ryan: see 468 section

3rdthawkins: one says James Payson the other William Payson, so I put James William Payson or William James Payson

vicky: thanks ryan I put in my favorites and will look closely if you dont mind

ryan: so my point is, the migration from Marshall county to Fayette, Tx hopefully that opens up some leads for you

vicky: thank you, I hope so too

ryan: Many of the blacks that left went toward Memphis, and Arkansas, others I assume followed the whites to TX

3rdthawkins: well, I"m gonna go, I'm browsing through Berkeley County Census records on the pilot hoping I come up with something on my Hawkins or Lums, gotta go finish ryan, do you know anything about the Lums in MS, I've seen a few there

ryan: no Lums

3rdthawkins: ok

ryan: Vicky, VKN gotta run.. please email me if you have any questions,, I will follow up on that Zephr too..

vicky: ryan you have been helpfu

ryan: Hi VKN.. Later.. Y'all tryan515@sbcglobal.net

vkn: Techie help?

vicky: bye ryan

vkn: bye for now

vicky: bye vkn

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy