Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-03-09 DNA Issues

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:50
End: 13:05:37
Chatters: alt, Daviss, HistoryBuff, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon alt

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: How are you doing this afternoon? All is well?

alt: doing fine & you?

Daviss: hello alt and seventies

Seventies Soulchild: good. Hello Daviss! DNA talk today.. :}

alt: okay ... shoot

Daviss: Just talking on phone..good report from x sis in law..She was taken off life support

Seventies Soulchild: What is E1b1a8a??? Great Daviss!

alt: wonderful Daviss

Daviss: thx

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I am still analyzing from yesterday. I am no scientist... lol

Daviss: my lips are sealed :?

Seventies Soulchild: I know my areas of expertise and what areas I lack in. I'm very clear on that! lol

alt: takes time Seventies Soulchild

Daviss: that is your paternal haplogroup

Seventies Soulchild: Yes it is Maternal Haplogroup is L2a1c1 No comments?

alt: trying to talkon the phone

Seventies Soulchild: From the maps it appears as if these are a mixture from peoples from Nigeria and maybe northern Cameroon. This is why I was reluctant to take this 23andme test.. but the Free portion got me hooked! lol

alt: your g-father & his Danish thing? what is his haplogroup?

Seventies Soulchild: E1b1a8a paternal haplogroup

alt: Y-dna & mtdna

Seventies Soulchild: L2a1c1 is maternal

alt: okay & his ancestry painting %'s

Seventies Soulchild: However, there are no ethnic groups associated with these anywhere. 84% African, 14%Euro, 3%Asian

alt: okay those are the (ethnic/races) groups

Seventies Soulchild: Hold on I'm looking at the Ethnic thing now. On the ethnic group, it says this man has a high chance of being seneglases.. paraphrase The Ancestry painting page

Daviss: ok back sorry..sister this time lol

Seventies Soulchild: oh nevermind. Its not giving me the answers that I would be looking for... what a waste.

Daviss: arent those haps you have a mixure of all ethic groups what does the information tell you about under your paternal page about that haplogroup E1

Seventies Soulchild: : E1b1a is the most common Y-chromosome haplogroup among African-American men. smh

Daviss: what else does it say about the inhabitants

Seventies Soulchild: It doesn't even tell me what African ethnic groups are associated with this grouping. Haplogroup: E1b1a, a subgroup of E Age: 20,000 years Region: Africa Populations: Bantu-speakers, African Americans Highlight: E1b1a is the most common Y-chromosome haplogroup among African-American men. That's it.

Daviss: hold on a min

Seventies Soulchild: I'm Bantu-speaker descended.. lol oh boy.

alt: I'm looking at more recent histories for my ancestry within 200-300 years.

Seventies Soulchild: I'll take 500 years ago, but clearly they cannot give me a definitive answer on this.

Daviss: ok back perhaps you should go a step further and get the breakdown from Dr McDonald or Gedmatch

Seventies Soulchild: I think so... Well African Ancestry should be sending me something soon.

alt: the thing is Seventies Soulchild we can't get to names & dates thru DNA .. ususally

Seventies Soulchild: Not worried about the names alt, just really wanted to know the ethnicity.

alt: no group can FTDNA, 23andme, AA, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: E1b1a1a1g1 (YCC E1b1a8a) is defined by U209. It is the most prominent subclade of U175. This subclade has very high frequencies of over fifty percentages in Cameroonian populations of Bassa and Bakaka, possibly indicting place of origin. However, E-U209 is widely found at lower frequencies in West and Central African countries surrounding Cameroon and Gabon.[6] Brucato et al. (2010) found the SNP in a populations of Ahizi (in Ivory Coast) 38.8% (19/49), Yacouba (Ivory Coast) 27.5% (11/40), and Beninese 6.5% (5/77) respectively From wikipedia

alt: too much reading for me and I still can't connect a famliy member to any group, cept the broad Mandenka thing which ain't saying much.

Seventies Soulchild: Right...

Daviss: and afrent they derived into many sub groups or clans afrent arent

Seventies Soulchild: Hi HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss and Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: *headache*

Daviss: hello historybuff

alt: I'm basically thru with DNA excpt to psoosibly find up to this point unknown AA relatives.

Seventies Soulchild: I see why!

Daviss: and that will possibly be thru RF alt

alt: maybe Daviss, but most of those folks don't have a paper trail.

Seventies Soulchild: Well I am still waiting for my Andrew Rounds results.

Daviss: Dna is very hard to understand.. I am not scientifically minded not unless you match Mel or somebdy like that lol

alt: and we're not even getting int recombination & dominant/recessvie genes & sex-linked cahracteristics

vkn: hey y'all

HistoryBuff: Hey Vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Oh lol I have a partial match with Sedalia! :} Hello vkn

Daviss: hello vkn...

alt: hi vkn, how ya doing?

Daviss: oh really seventies

Seventies Soulchild: yes.

Daviss: on 23

Seventies Soulchild: Yes

vkn: alt daviss historybuff seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I want to say its .10% 1 segment.. whatever that means.

Daviss: distant

alt: very distant

Seventies Soulchild: Yes VERY

alt: out of the (normal) genealogy time frame.

Daviss: lol but you can call her cuz

Seventies Soulchild: most of my matches are no more than .45% How I know the database is well lacking. lol My highest match is .45%

alt: 23andme isn't enough to get me exicted. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I see and agree. lol

Daviss: remember folks they still have another 5000 peeps to go

Seventies Soulchild: I'm taking my dna back to my old standby... The proof is in the results

alt: which is?

Seventies Soulchild: African Ancestry.

Daviss: how many people in their database seventies

Seventies Soulchild: But thanks to 23andme for the free inital test! Its not about how many people, its about how many African people in the database. all are trying to play catchup IMO

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild, but folsk with no African haplogroups or only 1 cna't get from AA what they seem to be offering....

Seventies Soulchild: I understand that. But AA works for me.

Daviss: so if they have 10000 people in the database it would not count for nada (AA)

vkn: I have a female relative who did the 23&me who is telling me that she is getting matches from her paternal grandfather SLATER but nothing from her maternal line TOWNSEND How does that happen???

Seventies Soulchild: Not enough samples vkn. JMHO

alt: who tested vkn and what are the difering haplogroups?

Daviss: does she have zero matches or are they not answering or another thought, is she public

vkn: She tested my info from her is most guarded

Daviss: anwer my question someone about 10000 AA's in database

alt: and for a paternal side (Slater) there may be more Euro admixture than there is for her maternal Townsend lines.

vkn: No mention of haplo anything

Seventies Soulchild: I don't know, but the seem to be on point with their analysis

alt: I think it depends on WHERE the 10K are from Daviss

Daviss: she has to have that vkn if they have looked at her spittle at all mabe they hve not done that yet

alt: who is on point Seventies Soulchild AA or 23andme?

vkn: baffling to me

Daviss: so if we all descend from across the water and we land here alt all 10000 have to c ount dont they? vkn it sounds like they have not tackeled her maternal line ye

alt: to all of us vkn .. can't look at what we're getting and say that IS DNA, just like the guy who is citing specific examples on the Slavery Forum and saying THAT is slavery... too many variables for black & white answers.

Daviss: however she should see that at the top of her page where she logged in I did not get my results at the same time that my brother came in

alt: depends on when we came from across the pond Daviss 300 years ago or 3,000 years ago, or 30,000 years ago all haplogroups are "off" of an L variant.

Daviss: so would that not also go for those who take samples from people in africa now I have seen some lighter shades there too

vkn: okies then not understanding how she gets Y results and subsequent 3rd cousins

alt: I would think they would be more "pure" than most African descended peopl in other parts of the Diaspora... South america, North America, Caribbean, etc.

vkn: okies then not understanding how she gets Y results and subsequent 3rd cousins matches from her fathers grandfather

Daviss: because those that are tested have matches to her paternal line

alt: which person in her line was tested for her to get Y results vkn.. they didn't come from her sample as a female.

Daviss: her maternal has not come in yet alt

alt: now I'm confused LOL

Seventies Soulchild: ugh..

Daviss: those come from paternal line

vkn: that is what I thought alt whew No male was tested

Daviss: huh

alt: She has male matches, but those are "autosomal" matches, not from her DNA sample, right? she can only get mtDNA & autosomal, not Y

Seventies Soulchild: I need a trip. Hey guys I have to run. Hopefully I will see you all tonight for WDYTYA chat. :}

Daviss: I went back and reread what you wrote vkn

vkn: That is my understanding

HistoryBuff: Indeed next time 70s

Daviss: bye seventies lol

alt: I'll watch, but probably not chat.. can't multi-task LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Jerome "The Bus" Bettis.. excited. Hope they don't talk about DNA.. lol

HistoryBuff: Same here if I have trouble with my wifi.

Seventies Soulchild: stop laughing at me Daviss... lol later

vkn: Back to preschool for me lol

alt: vkn... 23andme, those are autosomal matches on Relative Finder,,, not on Y- or mtDNA matches.

Daviss: your female cousin took the test but the only matches are coming from her grandfathers line

vkn: hope np wifi prob history

HistoryBuff: Got an classic movie on "Two girls and a Sailor". Lena Horne was so beautiful.

vkn: no

Daviss: yep History she sure was

alt: been duscussing with AA presenter's the "problems' with NGS, FGS & others.... there is much more to it than just AA's being rejected..

HistoryBuff: I patternly seem to have access problems with wifi around 8-9 p.m.

vkn: yes daviss the father of her grandmothers father

Daviss: ioverloaded at that time HB everyone off work

alt: some "heavy=hitting" AA genealogy presenters.

HistoryBuff: But didn't start having problems until 2 months ago.

vkn: I am also discussing and I am getting a "don't be silly" kind of response so to speak

Daviss: how does she know this vkn, are they known testees

vkn: She is being contacted by SLATER Y's kin Ths tax man cometh so I will see you boo tee full peeps later 2 nite

alt: can't sya why they are coming to their conclusions vkn, but can say that many folk are reading into the results 'facts' that just aren't true.

Daviss: cya tomorrow

vkn: Gotcha alt

alt: bye y'all

HistoryBuff: Cya later. Oh well Daviss. See ya next time

Daviss: oh well

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy