Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-03-07 Black Genealogists, Where?

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:24
End: 12:58:45
Chatters: alt, Daviss, fierybug08, frances stephens, HistoryBuff, Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon frances stephens

alt: hello frances stephens & Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: hello alt. How are you doing this afternoon?

alt: doing fine Seventies Soulchild, and how about you?

Seventies Soulchild: doing good. Another system outage.. lol

alt: Oops,

Seventies Soulchild: Oh and I had to effectively tell an indvidual face to face that he wasn't getting into our school. That sucked.

alt: I'll bet that did....

Seventies Soulchild: He wasn't on his game basically, missed the file completion deadline. Oh well. My twins are fine and in a month they will be 16... OH GOD I"M GETTING OLD! LOL

alt: well rules are rules & deadlines are deadlines. well if you aren't teenage boys will help to aid the aging process LOL LOL LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I know I have several grays popping up... I'm too young for this! lol lol lol

frances stephens: Hello everyone, I stepped away for a brief moment. Looking for a relative, I think.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok who are you looking for and where?

alt: well, as they say " you knew the job was dangerous when you took it"... but I'm sure you can handle it..... and them :)

frances stephens: The only thing I know thus far, She is a Great Granddaughter of my Grt Grandmothers niece. how is that for complicating things just a bit.

alt: Hi daviss.. how goes it today?

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss! *muah* how are you?

alt: Hi HistoryBuff

Seventies Soulchild: Hi HistoryBuff!

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Frances Stephens and Seventies!

Seventies Soulchild: yep thanks alt! :} Just a tad bit frances stephens. :}

alt: How did/have you tracked this relative frances stephens?

frances stephens: She has requested friendship on FB, and I think she has a Family Tree on Ancestry. But she does not know any of her direct cousins on her tree or any relatives associated with her tree.

Seventies Soulchild: You should e-mail her or message her via facebook frances stephens before you accept her friendship. See if you can sync up the trees and some family history.

alt: that could be trouble frances stephens .... FB & Ancestry with no, or very little research background can become a headache.... been there & done that.

HistoryBuff: Yes, that's a good idea so they will learn about what they're getting into.

Seventies Soulchild: Daviss?? Very true alt. I think we all have stories about this.

frances stephens: I am tracking her now. I did ask her to email me with some specific information. I think she is following every tree leaf that pops up on her name list via Ancestry. I tried to messager her on FB, she has that locked. so I messaged her on Ancestry. She reponds to that. I am at the wait and see point now.

alt: proceed with caution frances stephens

Seventies Soulchild: ok good. You know people take this Ancestry pop up thing too d@mn serious.

HistoryBuff: I concur with Alt on the cautions, Frances Stephens.

Seventies Soulchild: LOL I was restricted from using the 'other' word.

HistoryBuff: wb Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Ok now Daviss, what's going on with your computer? WB

Daviss: trying this again, hello folks!

frances stephens: From what she has on her tree, I would say that she is a relative but no one has ever heard of her. Her Grandmother is on my tree. Hello Davis.

HistoryBuff: You know you can block specific information for display on Ancestry.

alt: anymore, once I find that a person is not 'serious' about genealogy and is doing just the FB & Ancestry thing I 'politely' try to drop them.

HistoryBuff: Is your network dropping out, Daviss?

frances stephens: Actually at one time my Tree was public, decided it would better if I changed that status to private. Works out much better for me.

Daviss: not sure whats going on..My landline is also messing up

Seventies Soulchild: :| to that Daviss.

alt: hello fierybug08

Seventies Soulchild: Hey fierybug08

Daviss: I know lol

HistoryBuff: Sorry that's happening to you, Daviss. Hey Fierybug08.

Daviss: hi there fierybug08

fierybug08: hello everyone *virtual waves* toSeventies Soulchild alt HistoryBuff Daviss Frances stephens

frances stephens: Hello Fierybugo8.

fierybug08: eating my veggies frances stephens I haven't forgotten about your question concerning Grundys

Seventies Soulchild: I'm so trying to get the ham sammich out of here to D.C. but it just seems like a bloc comes up every time I try to make arrangements.

HistoryBuff: Go for you, Fieryvbug08. I had blueberries and yogurt. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Grundys in Arkansas fierybug08?

HistoryBuff: I love how you say that, Seventies :}

alt: this social networking thing is a double edge sword.... I often long for the 'old days' when some research was done BEFORE you tried to contact possible relatives.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm a NYer, but grew up around almost all very country, very southern black people. lol

HistoryBuff: That is my preference also, Alt.

fierybug08: oh...yep...My Grundys are in Miller county, AR but also in Texas (Cass/Linden) county

frances stephens: Fierybug, LOL, I don't remember my question re: Grundys. You may have to refresh my short memory.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I know a Grundy from AR who was a renter of my aunts apt bldg. Her father was white.

fierybug08: I think you were trying to see how they migrated to or from TN

alt: then we're 'old school', huh HistoryBuff? LOL

Seventies Soulchild: She was one of those cotton patch babies... if you know what I mean.

HistoryBuff: That's right, Alt. Trust and verify. LOL

frances stephens: I prefer the old way as well. @Fierybug, I am not researching TN. Must have been someone else.

fierybug08: hmm...well my 2X grandfather was considered mulatto. I first found him in the 1910 census with his grandfather okay...my bad frances stephens

HistoryBuff: Isn't that amazing to see, Fierybug08? I love those documents.

Seventies Soulchild: ok. I'm just saying as per our discussion in Dec. that may be an option to look into regarding your family. brb gonna head up the lunch

fierybug08: yep HistoryBuff I am so excited. It also shows that my 2X was born in OK, but that's where I have to start looking...I wish I had time to actually 'go there'. I would love to search the local records hey alt...I miss 'old school' times too. The other day...I caught wind of some joker

alt: take a 'virtual trip' to OK fierybug08 .... earch out the records on the 'Net LOL

fierybug08: oops...some joker was talking all loud on his cell phone. Describing how he was misbehavin

Daviss: forgive me, puter still acting up

HistoryBuff: That's wonderful, Fierybug08. I appreciated seeing how the information continues to link to other leads. Check the FHL databases. You may have some luck there or go to the FHL in Kensington, MD.

fierybug08: not the same alt.

alt: you're forgiven daviss, but not your computer LOL

fierybug08: HistoryBuff when is Kensington having their annual genealogy fair?

Daviss: I will probably be bumped again

fierybug08: nooo Davis lol talk *sweet* to the computer now. daviss

HistoryBuff: In May, Fierybug. Let me get the specifics.

alt: old song fierybug08, but it will do "Until the real thing comes along" .... re: virtual tour LOL

fierybug08: lol. I have the opportunity to work remotely (i.e. virtually) for the Univ of Houston's digital collections. I am wondering if I should do it.

alt: go fo it!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: You should! I think Daviss has flatlined on us.

alt: and when you do get ther in person you will be able to 'separate the wheat from the chaff" as it relates to the local records. Therby saving a lot of time.

HistoryBuff: Hey Fiery, the Washington Family History Day Conference is on May 5th this year.

fierybug08: man...it's comes quickly huh

HistoryBuff: Daviss, you there? Indeed it does, Fiery. The year flew when you were having fun, eh Fierybug08?

Seventies Soulchild: so are you going otthe Family History Day Conference HistoryBuff? otthe = to the

HistoryBuff: I plan to.

alt: tell us about the Fam Hist Day conf.... speakers, workshops, vendors, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes please do.. I am close enough that I may be able to attend

HistoryBuff: wb Daviss

alt: wb Daviss

Seventies Soulchild: time to call the service provider Daviss.

fierybug08: I found it http://www.wdcfhc.org/conf2012/index.php

HistoryBuff: There was plenary presentation and the rest of the day was filled with more specific workshops throughout the building.

Daviss: thx not sure about this connect so I will sit here until I get bumped again Grrrrrr

alt: okay thanks fierybug08 .. saved the link...

fierybug08: I'm about to sign up now. 192 seats left

Seventies Soulchild: DearMyrtle is speaking, huh?

Daviss: dang it, reading back fierybug what is that Houston Digital ting you mentioned

HistoryBuff: Last year a representative from the Library of Congress spoke first.

alt: saved it to see who the speakers/presenters are other than the keynoter DearMyrtle that's the weekend before the NGS conf in Cincinnati, OH.

fierybug08: yep @ HistoryBuff. I liked his presentation

HistoryBuff: Yes, I have yet to fully explore their website and location

fierybug08: @ Daviss it's an internship opportunity since I am a graduate student. I have considered doing archives, but do not have practical training. The internship would give me some experience and meet new people

HistoryBuff: Indeed it would. I'm going to have to leave now. The cell phone talkers are getting too loud in the lounge. Cya later.

Seventies Soulchild: later HistoryBuff

fierybug08: has anyone viewed the 2011 aaghsc guide?

alt: later HistoryBuff

fierybug08: see ya

Seventies Soulchild: no is a link on their main page?

alt: not me fierybug08 ,,do you mean 2011 or 2012?

frances stephens: I am signing out as well. Must find a Hotel in Augusta for a conference in Edgefield, SC in September.

alt: good luck frances stephens

fierybug08: AAHGS- Chicago branch, I found the website advertising the 2011 book for $65 for non-members and $55 for members.

frances stephens: Thank you from the looks of things I will need it.

Seventies Soulchild: ok geez What is going on?

fierybug08: i think they were advertising at the conference. I would like to purchase a copy, but want to know if its worth the money to spend on the book

alt: Seventies Soulchild, are you following the "where are the black genealogists" thread on FB?

Seventies Soulchild: Not anymore alt. I can only take so much of that. lol Anything new with the conversation?

fierybug08: I read the beginning threads of the topic.

alt: just started today didn't it? omg, where have I been? LOL

fierybug08: lol...it's alright alt. :)

Seventies Soulchild: Is this on VKNs page?

alt: the AfriGeneas page ???

Seventies Soulchild: I'm logged in FB now. OH okay I'll go check it out. This I hadn't read then.

alt: I added my 2 cents about an hour ago

Seventies Soulchild: nada alt. AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy is the FB page.

alt: I guess Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Ok its on VKN's FB page 22 comments... lol You're confusing me alt. :}

fierybug08: Man....I got a staff meeting. I'll check FB Afrigeneas when I get back. See ya guys later

alt: that's because I'm confused LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Let me finish eating this over peppered red beans and rice... food companies confuse well seasoned with hot and spicy! smh Next week we're going to have a topic. I need some genealogical help! :} I'm already planning for my next adventure to MS.

alt: okay.I'll let you finish lunch .. okay

Seventies Soulchild: Talk to you tomorrow. And watch find our missing tonight at 9 pm est on tv one

alt: okay, later

Seventies Soulchild: bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy