Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-02-24 SLC conference presents

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:02
End: 13:00:29
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, HistoryBuff, ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild, vicjorob

Seventies Soulchild: hello daviss! well the shoe dropped. A friend of mine, their mother passed a couple days ago.

daviss: hi there! oh my!!! I see we know what that means

Seventies Soulchild: The timing was uncanny.

daviss: I have dreamed that dream

Seventies Soulchild: It means different things for different people.

daviss: mine means the same as yours

Seventies Soulchild: hello HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Hey Daviss and Seventies. How goes it?

daviss: Hi HistoryBuff!!

Seventies Soulchild: Going ok. How are you?

daviss: brb

HistoryBuff: I'm good. Hey Alt.

alt: hello ladies,,, daviss, HistoryBuff & Seventies Soulchild.. y'a;; doin galright today?

Seventies Soulchild: hel alt lol hello sick. but I'll be ok in a couple of days. taking vitamin c and airborne

alt: weekend coing up... now work ususally helps LOL

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to also have break out my neti pot

alt: oh my, you are serious, huh Seventies Soulchild?

HistoryBuff: I was reading the "African American DNA Research Forum", Alt. It's gotten confusing for me. Wishing you a speedy recovery with that cold, Seventies. Just got over one myself-Tues.

Seventies Soulchild: absolutely. I have my BHM speech on Sunday and I need t obe able to talk without sneezing or coughing or having to blow my nose.

alt: me too HistoryBuff

Seventies Soulchild: lol also our weatherman predicted a nice mild winter day. We got snow last night and the kids had a 2 hr delay this morning.

alt: this couldn't be pre-speech stress could it Seventies Soulchild?

HistoryBuff: And I'm interested in participating with the DNA research.

Seventies Soulchild: No everyone in the office has been sick. I am barely holding on right now. I should go off somewhere and take a nap. :|

alt: best I can say is to read up on DNA HistoryBuff, don't put too much faith in how some folks are interpreting their results.

Seventies Soulchild: I see that Lisa Lee is absolutely frustrated with her DNA results.

HistoryBuff: Thanks Alt. I'll have to spend some quality time with the topic. That weather changing is impactive, 70s. I also enjoyed Bernice's program last evening. I feel so far behind in my research efforts now. However I am hopeful.

alt: the www.isogg.org is a good place to start HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Thank you again. Alt. I appreciate all of the support.

alt: I think Kisa has run into a cleric problem two test on the same person with the same lab shouldn't be that far off. Kisa=Lisa

daviss: ok back

HistoryBuff: Understood.

daviss: Hi alt!!

HistoryBuff: wb Daviss

alt: and 8 years of the science has evloved that much on the basic 8 marker test for haplofgroup.

daviss: tele ringing off the hook lol

Seventies Soulchild: I agree. But considering where her family is from, she may not have the south korean connection, but a Native connection. What do you think alt?

alt: wow, my spelling/typing is atrocious today LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol daviss.

daviss: me thinks she should test with FTDNA lol not the African one lol

alt: I think she has and also other testing agencies from her last posting on AfriGeneas.

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

Seventies Soulchild: ah ok so you also have MGM in the family?

AYWalton: Howdy alt, daviss, HistoryBuff, SoulChile

Seventies Soulchild: hello AYWalton.

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton. Happy Friday to you.

daviss: Hi AYWalton!!

alt: Hi AYWalton, how ya doing?

Seventies Soulchild: I see that Wlkinson Co. MS museum and historical society has finally updated their information! Excited!

alt: Mgm ?? who??

Seventies Soulchild: Multi-generational mixed

alt: oh, okay....

Seventies Soulchild: Their information mostly concentrates still on whites in the county. Frustrating.

HistoryBuff: BRB

AYWalton: us old folks don't understand the abbreviations

Seventies Soulchild: they're not abbreviations acronyms.. lol

AYWalton: lol

alt: never seen or heard MGM used before....

AYWalton: well I think of the movies when I see MGM you know the movies with the Lion.

Seventies Soulchild: Not a problem, its something I saw on one of those multiracial forums

alt: in the context of DNA

Seventies Soulchild: lol

AYWalton: don't forget to watch WDYTYA tonight. .we will have a chat

Seventies Soulchild: On it! I've been sharing it with Blair fans :}

alt: Alva "ain't" joking in her DNA quest LOL

daviss: all that can't be learned in a day alt lol

vicjorob: Hi everyone

Seventies Soulchild: She's still on the case, huh? :}

daviss: Hi vicjorob!!

Seventies Soulchild: Hello vicjorob

alt: hi vicjorob.. how are ya?

vicjorob: Finally got a break here at work to check in with you all

HistoryBuff: I'm black. Hey Vicjorob, how goes it? Hectic friday, eh?

alt: glad you can join us vicjorob

AYWalton: hello there, vicjorob

vicjorob: I'm doing fine HistoryBuff . Yes a bit hectic but not as bad as the rest of this week though.

Seventies Soulchild: last night before I joined Bernice's show on blogtalk, freeaainnc had a good online chat about what to find at state libraries. Very insightful

HistoryBuff: I heard that.

vicjorob: I'm even happier now that I got word that I will be presenting at the Black Genealogy Summit in SLC this October

AYWalton: was that on G-Wise, SoulChile?

Seventies Soulchild: yes

AYWalton: GenealogyWise

alt: wonderful vicjorob

AYWalton: yes, I got the word last night, as well.

Seventies Soulchild: NICE vicjorob!

AYWalton: Am quite excited!

daviss: Oh the results are out now vicjorob! great

vicjorob: AYWalton -- wonderful! Glad to know I will see a few old friends there.

daviss: Congrats to both of you

AYWalton: yes it will be great! I have two presentations that I will give.

vicjorob: I'm even more excited because I will be able to visit my family while I'm there

HistoryBuff: Very nice Vicjorob :)

daviss: what are the topics AY and vicjo??

alt: did y'all get individual announcements, or did they present the entire lineup?

AYWalton: I got a personal email, alt. I had to respond that I accept their offer. after they get confirmations, then I am sure that they will post the announcements.

alt: okay, perhaps the whole listing of presenters & topics will be posted in the near future.

HistoryBuff: I concure with Daviss on the congratulations.

AYWalton: thank you both, daviss and HistoryBuff

vicjorob: My topic is: How to Know What to Ask When I DOn't Know Enough to Ask. Its shows how asking key questions can help build your ancestor's profile, which can lead to finding records for the ancestor.

AYWalton: my topics are 1) Black Benevolent Societies and their Impact on the Black Community--From the Mosaic Templars to the Royal Circle of Friends

HistoryBuff: YW

alt: that'a sounds like an excellent presentation vicjorob, not too often considered.

vicjorob: AYWalton -- oooh, love that one!

AYWalton: 2) Researching Blended Families--African-Native American Genealogy

HistoryBuff: Great topics, Angela.

AYWalton: thanks, HistoryBuff

vicjorob: AYWalton -- I hope we are not speaking at the same time as I want to sit in on your blended families one. Thanks, alt

AYWalton: I know I hope we won't have a schedule conflict as well.

HistoryBuff: YW. I hear ya, Vicjorob. Don't want to miss anything.

daviss: Ok so now that that is settled, I will buy a piggybank and start saving for Oct

alt: or pull out that 'old sock' with all of da cash daviss LOL

AYWalton: oh yes, we all need to stuff our piggy banks.

HistoryBuff: Good move, Daviss. You know how it is.

daviss: lol lol alt

AYWalton: or reach under that mattress.

daviss: or the Red Fox stockings lol

vicjorob: Luckily for me, I only have to worry about air fare as I will be mooching off my family for food and local transportation

HistoryBuff: Get those big bills out of the way.

alt: that too AYWalton, I'm sure daviss has 'hidden assets' LOL

daviss: Ha!

alt: jeez, gas=has

AYWalton: that's good to know, alt, I have to hang around her, then. maybe she will throw some coins my way.

daviss: thats what you get alt lol If I have to turn in one of my gold bars I will :o

Seventies Soulchild: going to take a nap. See y'all tomorrow!

AYWalton: lol then I know I will hang around you.

Seventies Soulchild: I mean tonight.. lol

vicjorob: Seventies Soulchild -- nap well.

AYWalton: especially at meal time. lol

HistoryBuff: Cya Seventies

alt: get well Seventies Soulchild

daviss: seventies drink some toddy

AYWalton: we will have to have an AfriGeneas meet up and a bloggers meet up while there.

vicjorob: AYW- love the idea

AYWalton: I will try to get there at least two days earlier---one for travel and the other day to spend entirely at the Family History Center..

alt: the AfriGeneas photo at the IBGS from 2009 is a keeper AYWalton and still one of my favorites

AYWalton: that was a great time!!! anytime I run into other researchers is a great time!

daviss: Are you and Anita going alt?

alt: yep, Ft, Wayne in 2009 was unforgettable... I had never seen that many AA researcher at one event before then.

vicjorob: AYW-don't forget they have some events on Wednesday for early bird arrivals

AYWalton: oh yes, I look forward to as many as possible.

alt: I doubt it daviss

daviss: ok alt

AYWalton: I was in Salt Lake in 2006 and that was wonderful.

daviss: I wonder how the weather is in Oct

AYWalton: ProfDru is in da house!

HistoryBuff: Hey ProfDru.

alt: hello ProfDru...have you 'landed' yet? LOL

ProfDru: hello gang

daviss: hello ProfDru

ProfDru: not quite alt, lol

HistoryBuff: It's good to be on Cloud 9 sometimes isn't it, ProfDru?

alt: well congratualtions on the success of your program ... KUDOS to DRU !!!!!!

ProfDru: just posted a video from program on my blog, Hat With an Attitude, www.findyourfolks.blogspot.com

HistoryBuff: Well deserved congratulations are in order I'm sure. :}

AYWalton: I like that hat with an attitude, ProfDru. Just watched it!

ProfDru: thanks everyone

alt: and ProfDru ...thanks for the thanks on the hat photos, my pleasure.

HistoryBuff: Very good display of photos you have there, ProfDru.

daviss: hmmmmm I just did a mapquest... 700 miles to SLC driving

AYWalton: And so glad that your program was successful! So will this become an annual tradition?

alt: an overnight drive, huh daviss?

ProfDru: angela, I'm hoping it will be an annual tradition. I meet with a local county next week to discuss doing the program there in June.

daviss: seems like it alt...

vicjorob: daviss -- Weather in Oct in SLC is gorgeous! Utah has dry heat and could be in the middle of an Indian Summer. Or it could be a typical fall day. Bring a light jacket, wear long sleeves, and dress in layers that can be shed at will.

daviss: thx vicjorob

HistoryBuff: Sounds like good advice, Vicjorob.

alt: I can't do more than 350-400 miles in a day anymore daviss ....takes me 2 days going to NJ to visit my son and that's only about 650.

AYWalton: well 650 miles is a long trip. even 100 miles is long to me. I was at SLC when AAHGS was there in 2006. It was truly beautiful.

daviss: gotta take your time alt.. thats what I do even when I go to Moreno Valley Ca

AYWalton: I look forward to going back.

alt: me too anymore... Ft. Wayne or Cleveland is about my speed at this point in time.

vicjorob: alt -- I've driven from SLC to DC several times. It's about 20 hours of straight driving to Des Moines, which is the halfway point. I can empathize with you about the 350 mile daily max though.

AYWalton: wow vicjorob, that is amazing. I wish I had the stamina for a long road trip like that.

vicjorob: I was young then. No more. alt- so why the drive? Do you not fly? How about the bus then?

AYWalton: lol I hear ya.

daviss: ProfDru are you going to SLC?

AYWalton: I don't have the nerve to undertake such a long trip like that. I would love to try the train though. With a travel companion that could be a fun trip.

HistoryBuff: Or Amtrak?

alt: I fly now vicjorob, but with the airport security that's even a hassle.

ProfDru: probably not

HistoryBuff: I hear ya, Angela. I love to travel by Amtrak.

vicjorob: AYWalton -- I love the train too but gong across country you are routed through Chicago which has as long as 12 hour layovers.

AYWalton: oh gracious! That is a bit long, unless you have something to do in Chicago. well I have to run folks. Gotta edit my podcast and upload it.

daviss: bye

HistoryBuff: Unfortunately for others, I love the Chicago layover. I can find things to do during that time.

alt: take care AYWalton

AYWalton: have a great day folks and don't forget the chat tonight.

HistoryBuff: Later, ayw.

AYWalton: and the geneabloggers radio show afterwards---special topic will be African American genealogy.

daviss: sheesh

AYWalton: ProfDru, Tim Pinnick among the guests.

HistoryBuff: If I don't have any problems from my home wifi, I will certainly try. I'm definitely watching the program.

daviss: I will strike out on both well the chat and the radio show

HistoryBuff: Geneabloggers at 10 p.m. EST?

alt: come on daviss, get yur priorities together LOL

HistoryBuff: LOL

daviss: they are lol when they are watching the show and chatting it is not on here lol

alt: otay

daviss: and when the blog is on the show will be on

alt: oops

daviss: I cant contribute in chat cause I cant see what they see lol

HistoryBuff: I understand, Daviss.

alt: okay, one of life's little challenges I guess

daviss: I know alt...

alt: my problem is staying awake after 9:00 PM

HistoryBuff: Are you an early riser, Alt?

alt: very early HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: I see.

daviss: I think I will head out now.. short run ahead lol

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy