Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2012-02-08 Black History Month

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:50
End: 13:10:36
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, HistoryBuff, Seventies Soulchild, VicJoRob

VicJoRob: Hi alt

alt: hello Vicjorob.. how are ya doing today?

VicJoRob: Doing okay. At home with a bit of vertigo from a clogged ear canal.

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt VicJoRob

alt: sorry to hear you aren't doing too well VicJoRob Hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: can you clean that out VicJoRob?

VicJoRob: Thanks. doing better tnow that the Alegra D has started to kick in. I feel like my sinus and throat are dry as a bone Sleep helps as well

Seventies Soulchild: hi daviss

daviss: Hello seventies!

Seventies Soulchild: hi HistoryBuff

daviss: Hi there alt, HistoryBuff, and vicjorob!

VicJoRob: Hi daviss, history buff

alt: Hello daviss & HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Seventies and VicJoRob.

Seventies Soulchild: That Inward & Outward Manifest that Khathu posted last night was a good find on ancestry.

daviss: reading back, vicjorob sorry to hear you are not feeling well

HistoryBuff: Are you drinking a lot of water, VicJoRob?

VicJoRob: Thanks. Yes, drinking lots of fluids, including water.

daviss: did you get lucky with it seventies

HistoryBuff: Great. Hope that helps you immensly.

VicJoRob: I think it will. Thanks.

Seventies Soulchild: No.. but it was interesting though.

VicJoRob: Anyone looking forward to WDYTYA this week?

Seventies Soulchild: So Patricia Stephens Due passed away.

VicJoRob: Sorry to hear

HistoryBuff: I am . VicJoRob.

daviss: I hope to vicjorob.. did you make it to chat last Fri?

VicJoRob: Yes, I was on the chat last Fri. I hope this week is a bit more captivating.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not really crazy about the show overall.

daviss: lol mabe it will gin up

VicJoRob: Why not Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: I can't believe that they started out with that weak episode.

VicJoRob: True, true

daviss: how was it weak

alt: Her husband, John Due, is collateral family Seventies Soulchild .. Have you read anything by her daughter Tananrive Due, a Sci-Fi mystery writer?

daviss: I had to look online

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I have and her husband Stephen

alt: okay Seventies Soulchild

HistoryBuff: I'l watch it, but having trouble with home wireless access at that time of evening.

Seventies Soulchild: daviss, the first 20 minutes was a snoozer.

daviss: I usually go to chat even though it airs here an hour later so clue me in on Due?

Seventies Soulchild: Patricia Stephens Due was a CR activist back in the day.

alt: Mother, daughter, husband or all of the above daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Tananarive has changed her profile photo to make it of her mother.

daviss: CR as in .....

Seventies Soulchild: Her facebook profile photo

VicJoRob: civil rights

Seventies Soulchild: Civil Rights

daviss: lol I knew that I was teasing seventies

Seventies Soulchild: :p

VicJoRob: lol lol lol

daviss: however, I am clueless to the Due family

HistoryBuff: :}

Seventies Soulchild: alt is Patricia also connected through the Stephens line to your grandson? Due is an interesting surname. I thought Tanananrive was from the West Indies or something!

alt: Her husband, John due, is of the Greenastle, IN Due's by way of Edgecombe Co., NC from the 1890's. No Seventies Soulchild , I think a different set of Stephens.

Seventies Soulchild: ok what an interesting conversation about African-American. hmmm who started that? lol

daviss: HistoryBuff I read your post this morn.....nice

HistoryBuff: Thanks. It was originally as long as Khathu's but

alt: yes it is Seventies Soulchild, dunno.. I think it was started by an article posted by vkn by some author, his name escapes me for the moment.

VicJoRob: historybuff what is your blog

Seventies Soulchild: Really though, of all the things to write about during Black History Month...

HistoryBuff: Was it in regards to Akilah Bowden-Monifa's Huffington Post blog?

alt: I enjoyed your response HistoryBuff, very nicely stated!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: yes AP also posted this story. http://m.apnews.mobi/ap/db_6776/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=VKEObvEr

HistoryBuff: I posted my discussion on the AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum. Haven't got a blog yet.

Seventies Soulchild: After 7 generations of family telling us that we originated in Guinea, I'm pretty clear about it

HistoryBuff: Thanks Alt.

Seventies Soulchild: oh shoot, I think my browser is going to lock up any time.

VicJoRob: HistoryBuff thanks

alt: my only problem (?) with BHM is that it doesn't seem to get the information out at the "local level" about the contributions of our ancestors.. only the same few "giants' year after year.

daviss: what a long line of generations Seventies speaking out to you and your fam

Seventies Soulchild: Agreed alt.

HistoryBuff: I hear you, Alt. That's why the work that you do and your presentations are so important. The wealth of knowledge is still out there.

Seventies Soulchild: absolutely daviss.

daviss: another reason alt, that I speak of the people in my neighborhood who made a difference I don't even speak to the ones that are local that are listed yr after yr

HistoryBuff: Yw VicJoRob

VicJoRob: Okay. Off to read the posts. Take care all.

alt: exactly y'all we have to tell our folks as well as the 'white world' that OUR folks were here too and that they did "sumpin" LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Well we should be doing that more than just February. February is our time to share with the world. Who cares about what specifically white people think. I care about them as a group as much as they care about me.

HistoryBuff: You know, I'm really not sure what the blogger's motive was and what her remedy for her assertions. I wish she was a little more direct about her complaints.

alt: A quote from Patricia Stevens Due is very appropiate during BHM "Stories live forever, Story tellers' don't" so as AYWalton continually admonishes us... Tell Your Stories!!!

HistoryBuff: Yes AYWalton was spot on that issue yesterday. I truly took it to heart. I find that when I actually start writing, sometimes I can get on a roll.

daviss: I will be right back

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

alt: A blog, a facebook posting, on AfriGeneas, a message board, a website.... anywhere, but tell the story!!!

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton! I see we talked you up.

AYWalton: Howdy alt, daviss, HistoryBuff, SoulChile. uh oh...

Seventies Soulchild: Sometimes people get the idea that they have to argue an opposing point, whether its right or wrong. I don't really care much for the HP anyways.

AYWalton: what did I do?

alt: Hello AYWalton, G'Day to ya.

Seventies Soulchild: Hi AYWalton

HistoryBuff: Just read the earlier postings for this chat. :}

AYWalton: what's going on? don't everybody talk at the same time, now.

daviss: ok I am back

Seventies Soulchild: lol reading this HP article... people talk game, but don't do anything about it. Ms. Monifa needs to be checked.

AYWalton: what HP article?

daviss: hello AYWalton!!

AYWalton: and what is HP? Hewlett Packart? Packard? abbreviations

Seventies Soulchild: Huffington Post! lol

HistoryBuff: A quote from Alt- " A quote from Patricia Stevens Due is very appropriate during BHM "Stories live forever, Story tellers' don't" so as AYWalton continually admonishes us... Tell Your Stories!!!"

daviss: lol AYWalton how are you doing today

alt: exactly Seventies Soulchild, I call her stuff a 'circular argument' Is she arguing with herself?

AYWalton: doing fine, daviss.

HistoryBuff: The

AYWalton: who is Patricia Stevens Due?

Seventies Soulchild: She is the mother of the author Tananarive Due and a Civil Rights activist from Florida.

alt: google CNN U.S. News & Patricia Stephens Due

Seventies Soulchild: Grandma, wife, etc. You know magnificent black woman... :}

AYWalton: Oh---she is related to Tanarive Due, the writer! ok

HistoryBuff: There is an article by Dr. Carter G.Woodson in a 1933 Afro-American Newspaper article stating his basis for Black History Month. I'm still trying to get a copy of it.

alt: her mother AYWalton

daviss: odd first name 'Tanarive"

AYWalton: what is all of the hoopla about Black History Month? I don't get it. Of course every month is Black History Month for me, so I am not sure what the issues are. Just another attack folks and what we do?

alt: Tananrive

Seventies Soulchild: Its the name of the one time capital of Madagascar daviss Yes and there have been a couple of BHM attacks this year.

AYWalton: Not sure why we spend so much time worrying over what we celebrate. I guess anything we do--good, bad, or ugly is going to invite scrutiny.

daviss: see, what I learn when I come here :)

Seventies Soulchild: From Black people.

daviss: wb History

AYWalton: I still just continue to do what I have to do and keep on going.

Seventies Soulchild: Well I think its important because its part of our culture, AYWalton.

HistoryBuff: Thanks Daviss. Sorry I kicked myself out will researching.

AYWalton: otherwise, such debates---are there to distract us from what the work we have to do. of course it is, SoulChile, and it needs no explanation. the time spent defending pursuit of history will keep us from studying our history and telling our stories.

Seventies Soulchild: This debate posted by Ms Monifa was pointless. No one ever questions the other heritage months from other ethnicities throughout the year.

HistoryBuff: That's a fair point AYWalton.

AYWalton: let those who are worried about Black History Month continue to worry. I feel that we have too many things to do, than to worry about their worries. We need to find the stories and tell them. That is where our enrichment and our empowerment comes from.

daviss: actually its these, as my brother calls them, new knee grows that have no idea on all fronts.

Seventies Soulchild: Well its time that we stop giving a d@mn about the naysayers. lol daviss

AYWalton: (of course there are many who do not wish to see us enriched, or empowered.)

alt: what and when to celebrate.. good example.... Juneteenth or 22 Sep, 1 Jan... the idea is to celebrate "freedom' what difference does the date make... course it is good to know the significance of each date.

AYWalton: so I guess that is why they want to get us tripping over what we do as being legitimate.

Seventies Soulchild: Because bottom line is not 100% of everyone is going to agree with you or your ideas and you just have to press on.

AYWalton: and we must remember, for the hundreds of people who were seeking freedom, there was one loyal slave willing to tip off ole massa hoping to gain some points him/her self, no matter who it hurt. exactly SoulChile. that is often why many writers isolate themselves while writing. The distractions of life would prevent many a book from ever being written.

HistoryBuff: Indeed.

daviss: good point AYWalton re writers

AYWalton: So, I let these conversations go and let them end, which they will, and keep doing what I do, and hope that others do the same. We have too many stories to tell, and all need to get busy telling them.

alt: I see some of these writings/postings by some Black author's as the 'old crab in the barrel' type arguments.... I know more than you do and here is my writing of an article/story to prove it.

AYWalton: otherwise the mind games of distraction will slowly erode so many things. Ignore, and get back to the task at hand.

daviss: my saying is " Don't Let Anyone Rent Space In Your head"

AYWalton: Yes, the old crab in the barrel concept is true. I like that, daviss!!!! Good expression!!!

alt: very nice daviss.. my space is 'occupied' LOL

HistoryBuff: Well Vkn asked me to post answer to her question. So that is where it started with me.

daviss: But I bet you were thinking it History

alt: and you did very well HistoryBuff !!!!!!

daviss: you just needed that nudge

HistoryBuff: There it is. Thanks Alt. Just followiing directions. Well time for me to get back to work. Until next time good folks.

daviss: later HB

HistoryBuff: Laters.

alt: laters HistoryBuff

daviss: oops

Seventies Soulchild: wow, its always down to us 4 at around this time... lol

AYWalton: ahhh the Gang of Four! and I am multi-tasking as usual.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm about to go into multitask mode in a few moments... :)

AYWalton: Writing a letter to Professor Glascoe of Univ. of Pittsburgh who narrated the story of the Drennen Slave Girl Escape

Seventies Soulchild: ok what information are you trying to get Angela?

daviss: ahhhh AYWalton thats good.. and I am reminding you to talk to McDade

alt: daviss, you see Arlene got some results with her Obit request.... Good ole AfriGeneas & networking Yeah!!!!!

AYWalton: oh yes, I still have to speak with her, as well. AfriGeneas comes through all the time.

daviss: cough, cough AYWalton lol

AYWalton: lol @ daviss

Seventies Soulchild: lol daviss yeah you guys are great in the clutch! :}

AYWalton: I hear ya!

daviss: yes and I know Arlene is very happy LOL @ AY

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't tweeted in a few days or posted on my facebook fanpage.

AYWalton: I try to tweet something every day. Facebook I use less, because it is a bit different social environment.

Seventies Soulchild: I have been moving after hours.. looking for a new eye dr and both boys need braces. sigh

daviss: alt, I just posted something on your FB page this morn I posted the truth

Seventies Soulchild: uh oh... daviss what did you do???

alt: I have a cousin who is in Raleigh, NC at the State Library researching our Edgecombe families... she is from St. Paul MN .. told her to look up Erin .. freeaainnc

AYWalton: Ooops what did I just do to get knocked out? lol

daviss: they are there at the library now alt?

alt: as we speak daviss LOL

daviss: Its been a while since Free has been here in chat

AYWalton: true.

Seventies Soulchild: Its been a minute since she's been on facebook too.

AYWalton: she did come in a couple of times after her trip to Montana over the holidays, but not much.

daviss: hope she is well

AYWalton: I see. I hope she is as well.

alt: me too AYWalton

AYWalton: Well I better run folks, gotta run some errands. have a good afternoon, everyone.

daviss: ok AYWalton

alt: laters

Seventies Soulchild: I'm still here.

daviss: alt, lets let seventies work for her pay

alt: me too LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Taking some extra time today. Came in extra early

alt: forgot to ask .. How's Tyler?

Seventies Soulchild: oh now y'all don't have anything to say? lol

daviss: He is now back to his typical boy self

Seventies Soulchild: lol

daviss: He had me going last night

alt: wonderful!!!!! aren't kids resilient?(sp)

daviss: yep!

Seventies Soulchild: you didn't spank him did you?

daviss: no, no spank just hollaring lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Boys..

alt: grandma doesn't spank ... and no one else will either!!!!! LOL

Seventies Soulchild: but grandpa does huh alt... ;)

daviss: I gotta buy him a telescope

alt: is the grass green? the sky high? Grandpa will spank in a heart beat :)

daviss: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Oh wow, I remember I used to buy my boys the cheap old national geographic stuff and they loved it! They head the line at Target. lol I just got a text at work.. something that rarely happens! lol

daviss: I gotta run get something to eat. Take care folks...alt make seventies cut out the lights after she puts up the chairs lol

alt: I'll ask ... politely

daviss: have a nice rest of the day you are the oldest lol she has to mind

alt: now that is true!!!

daviss: bye lol

alt: oldest, minding, not sure about that LOL

Seventies Soulchild: ok talk to you all later luv ya!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy