Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-10-25 Webinar with ProfDru

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:00:43
End: 13:31:15
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, Daviss, HistoryBuff, ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild, vknGA

vknGA: o It B Tuesday and ProfDru B Webinaring at 2PM. So y'all come

alt: Hi Ladies, how are you both doing today?

vknGA: There are the *Stars ***Alt *** Vicky

Daviss: hello there alt and vknGa! lol @ vknGa alt is blushing

vknGA: lol

alt: Dru @ two okay LOL

Daviss: what time is it now

alt: Have you landed yet daviss? you were having such a good time.... 12:07 PM here.

vknGA: The log of yesterday was/is outstanding. Sent a link to Curt and to Bill also sent them link to post from the two of thee on genhist

Daviss: I am kind of grounded lol

alt: good move vknGA keeping Curt & bill in the loop.

vknGA: Sucj a marvelous idea giving recognition and appreciation to those who came by. such Such a marvelous idea giving recognition and appreciation to those who came by. Creative to the max alt and vicky

alt: Ms Vicky & I are dangerous together vknGA, we can come up with some pretty good 'stuff' LOL LOL

vknGA: You said it and I got it. TEAM

Daviss: lol @ alt.. our relatives even had babies at the same time vknGA lol

alt: the folks who stopped by were so nice and enthusiastic we needed to say something about them.

vknGA: Oooooooo kay

Daviss: alt is a new grand and me a great aunt

vknGA: OOOOOOOO Kay was for the new births

alt: yeah vknGA, my 9th great-grandchild arrived on the 20th of Oct while we were in Ft. Wayne...an 8 lb 9 oz 20 inch long boy... John Carter Hill, III

Daviss: uh oh hello seventies

AYWalton: good afternoon, all.

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild ..... & AYWalton ... how you ladies 'be's' today?

vknGA: "Connection to server lost" says the boot message

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon, alt AYWalton, Daviss and vknGA

AYWalton: Howdy Daviss, Soulchile, Alt, Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daviss: hello AYWalton and wb vknGa!

Seventies Soulchild: I'm doing well. alt how are you?

AYWalton: make that vknGA hope you are all doing well. congrats on the new gr. grandchild, alt!

vknGA: Heyyyy AYW I be hearing nothing but praise for your uncle sephus presentation

AYWalton: lol oh really?

Daviss: I am well and up and at em this morning (for me) AYWalton

alt: thank you on the new arrival news LOL

AYWalton: I am glad that people enjoyed it!

Seventies Soulchild: I have really been enjoying looking at the records from family search on Mississippi

AYWalton: (now I am trying to recall---what did I say?)

Seventies Soulchild: oh congratulations alt.

vknGA: I be taking names + numbers alt and vicky so what is the totals of grands

Daviss: good for you seventies

alt: a lot AYWalton, your Uncle Sephus presentation was 'outa sight"!!!!

AYWalton: were you there for that one, alt? I the room was pretty full and I was just telling the story.

alt: oh yeah.....I was there fo sho AYWalton

AYWalton: I'm just glad I did not "shame the family". Don't want any AfriGeneas folks giving me the beat down for not coming through. lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: lol lol @ AYWalton

AYWalton: My friend Argyrie said that she did hear folks laughing---she was in the room next to ours.

Daviss: as good as you were AYWalton there was no chance of that happening

vknGA: no way for that to happrn ayw you makes we un proud. we so glad 2 know ya

alt: you came thru in 'flying colors' vknGA, you would have been so proud of the performance by the AfriGeneas Forum Manager's AYWalton, Lisa Lee & Tim Pinnick.

AYWalton: that's so nice of you to say, Daviss, thank you so much. Vicki and Art had them in their hands, and lots of folks kept stopping by.

Daviss: oh seventies you reminded me, I have to see if they have any Zephers/Zephyrs in those Ms records

alt: I really think AfriGeneas got the attention of a lot of folks.

Seventies Soulchild: You should Daviss

AYWalton: vknGA, have you gotten any feedback from the folks in Ft. Wayne?

vknGA: i do be proud

AYWalton: I think so to, and perhaps we can consider doing something to ride the crest of that wave. The interest was sincere and earnest. I saw folks around the AfriGeneas table quite often

alt: I believe so AYWalton

vknGA: Just sent them link to log of yesterday and will send you all their feedback

alt: Curt and his staff, especially Condra & Roberta Ridley, wetn to the limit for AfriGeneas.

Daviss: heyyy whats up with that

AYWalton: Curt Witcher is a very gracious man. Daviss did you lose your connection again to the room?

alt: yes he is AYWalton

vknGA: Making a note of that alt

AYWalton: must be that Arizona desert heat, Daviss.

Daviss: I have been doing so good with chat ;)

AYWalton: I think the resources at Ft. Wayne are under appreciated by some. Many of us know about it, but lots of folks don't know about it.

vknGA: Well Daviss no good deed goes unpunished lol lol lol

AYWalton: lol

Daviss: Do you mean the folks in the states close to FT Wayne AYWalton

alt: A fellow named Aaron Smith was also very gracious to us vknGA, I"m afraid I'll forget someone, but those 3 in particular were very, very nice to us.

AYWalton: I think just in general in the genealogy community.

vknGA: gotcha

AYWalton: I understand how beginners don't know about it, but I am surprised sometimes when speaking with others that they have never gone there, and they have been at it for a while.

vknGA: recall Dee Woodtor and Tony introducing Ft Wayne eons ago

Seventies Soulchild: You know, I see that BBAAHGS is having a conference in Feb. Anyone else hear about this?

AYWalton: I also noted that there were some who had no idea what to take advantage of while they were there. Some did just get on the computers and log into Ancestry. they had no other idea what to do.

alt: really true AYWalton, especially those east of the Mississippi River and within a 3-5 hour drive of Ft. Wayne.

Daviss: well you did tell me to go straight to the books AYWalton

AYWalton: yes, I saw their Call For Papers---the Black Belt Afr. American Genealogy Society.

vknGA: Seventies BB? ohhhhhhh BJ's group

AYWalton: even folks on our bus from Baltimore. Thursday morning there they were on Ancestry----they drove to Ft. Wayne to use computers?????

Seventies Soulchild: Yes...

AYWalton: there is SOOOOO much there!

alt: yep AYWalton, how to plan a trip to a MAJOR facility like Ft. Wayne is something we (AfriGeneas) might need to stress on the Forums.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm wondering has any genealogy group considered streaming their conferences online as a pay-per-view?

AYWalton: Hmm......I don't know SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: In these economic times, its too much to travel back and forth.

AYWalton: RootsTech streamline many of their sessions and those live streams were free.

alt: the Roots TEchnology group might be the only one I can think of who would even attempt something like that Seventies Soulchild

vknGA: an interesting thought. That is a Q we can put to Dru this afternoon

AYWalton: I think that many won't pay for live streams. and theirs were free, and I watched them.

Daviss: I have only been to two seventies and so far I think I would rather be there

AYWalton: hers is tomorrow, vknGA.

Seventies Soulchild: ok Daviss.

AYWalton: and that is what a conference like RootsTech should do---after all technology is the word of the day.

vknGA: oops the notice was a tad confusing

alt: How would you chose who to 'stream' with 4-5-6 concurrent sessions going on from 9 to 5?

Daviss: the one on one inter action is wonderful

Seventies Soulchild: You would have a featured stream.

AYWalton: Have you gotten any more feedback vknGA on the Ft. Wayne event?

Daviss: brb

vknGA: Like the plenary and the wrap up Seventies

alt: yes, but who would you feature? when you have 4 headliners like Tony, Lisa, AY & Tim going at the same time.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes like the plenary Just an idea.

vknGA: Have not been to mail puter as yet ayw. Spent morning watering plants and drinking in vitamin D lol

alt: I know Seventies Soulchild and a good one...

Seventies Soulchild: UStream is always open for new clients.

AYWalton: that sounds healthy, vknGA did not know you could drink vitaminD though. I have taken mega doses of it---those 50,000 unit green pills.

vknGA: Osmosis ayw lol

AYWalton: lol

Seventies Soulchild: :) Why is Bunker Hill continually coming up in my Mississippi reasearch on Wilkinson County, MS

alt: the Summit got me to thinking in so many different areas... gonna have to write a posting dealing with Genealogy, DNA, History & Geography all rolled into a single story/example found in an area/family of research.

AYWalton: sounds like something to follow and see why, SoulChile. Must be something local in that county also called Bunker Hill.

vknGA: Loving it alt...what a bundle

Seventies Soulchild: Did I tell you what happened in 2009? I went to the Wilkinson Co courthouse picked up the Plantation property book and the first page I turned to was Bunker Hill Plantation. No kidding.

alt: is it the same Bunker Hill of the Rev. War Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: No this is in south west Mississippi.

AYWalton: no alt, that one from the Revolution is in Massachusetts.

vknGA: Well there you are seventies

AYWalton: Bunker Hill Day is a state holiday in Massachusetts celebrated every April. (Only know because I lived there for 14 years.) :)

alt: I know AYWalton, I was asking is the connection in MS to the one in Mass?

Seventies Soulchild: So Jack Westrope and Scott Washington both lived on Bunker Hill in 1879. BEFORE Scott or Jack married.

vknGA: No more feedback as yet ayw

Seventies Soulchild: Roxie Earls also is said to be buried there. Perhaps she lived there as well. This is info I found on the tax records for Wilkinson Co.

AYWalton: is there a cemetery with that name on Find A Grave?

vknGA: Olny with a twang alt are they connected

alt: I doubt if the MS Bunker Hill & the Mass Bunker Hill have a connection Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Not the last time I checked. @ AYWalton. alt as far as I can tell there is no connection.

alt: right vknGA... and that would be some 'twang' LOL LOL

vknGA: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol The tax records are really yielding some good information for me.

AYWalton: you guys are too funny. is there still a Bunker Hill community in that area Soulchile?

alt: now the MS folks who named their plantation Bunker Hill may have some long ago connection to the Mass Bunker Hill.

Seventies Soulchild: I also found Millie McFarland and she had been taxed one year, and her husband Peter was taxed in another year. AYWalton, there is a Bunker Hill Cemetery in Wilkinson Co.

alt: was she taxed in a later year Seventies Soulchild? perhaps she was a widow when taxed.

vknGA: Linda Rudd would know alt

Daviss: speaking of tax rolls in Grimes County Texas the last several pages have a list of Freedman who pd taxes. I could not find them in any other county like that

Seventies Soulchild: I thought about that alt.

vknGA: or sir boxley?

Seventies Soulchild: wb Daviss

alt: I'm sure she would vknGA, cause she would have researched the plantation owning family and their history.

vknGA: Christine Charity

Seventies Soulchild: I've put queries out there before about Bunker Hill, but received no response.

alt: folks have a tendency to name places after those they have migrated from.

Seventies Soulchild: Only after seeing an entry on Findagrave about one burial is when I kind of started to figure it out.

vknGA: Prolly cause fokes you were geographically challenged seventies lol

Daviss: yes alt, I have seen that lots of times

AYWalton: good point alt.

Seventies Soulchild: but Bunker Hill was bought by an oil development company in the late 1980's

alt: right Daviss, like Champaign-Urbana in Illinois is named after Urbana in Champaign County, Ohio..... cause that's where the Illinois folk came from.

Seventies Soulchild: I gleamed that from the records in Wilkinson Co. Courthouse. Or is it gleaned.. lol vknGA got kicked out of her own chat room.. lol

alt: dunno Seventies Soulchild. I went to public schools LOL LOL

AYWalton: oh gracious!

AYWalton: maybe a power surge or something. or power purge lol hopefully she will be back.

Daviss: shhhhhh quiet

AYWalton: :)

Daviss: I don't want to get bumped lol

AYWalton: I wonder what Curt Witcher feels about the conference. I hope he was pleased.

Daviss: i hope so too AYWalton..btw he will be here in Nov I am planning on attending his workshop

alt: it would be a 'thrill' if you showed up in AZ when he appeared there Daviss

AYWalton: Is that right? That's cool yes you should go and hear him.

Daviss: I think so too alt

Seventies Soulchild: Hey ProfDru

alt: since you caused him so much 'grief' with the two s in Daviss LOL LOL

ProfDru: hello gang

Daviss: hello there ProfDru

Seventies Soulchild: lol oh! lol

Daviss: lol lol lol @ alt

alt: Hello ProfDru

Daviss: known in FT Wayne before I even got there lol

AYWalton: ProfDru is in da house!!!! did you give the man a hard time, Daviss? You ready to rumble tomorrow, ProfDru?

Daviss: not me AYWalton

alt: her name AYWalton, he had to remind folks who produced printed materials that her name had two s in Daviss.

ProfDru: tomorrow is the big day!!!

AYWalton: this is exciting, ProfDru! I got my reminder in the mail yesterday from Geoff Rasmussen.

Seventies Soulchild: I'll be back in a bit y'all

ProfDru: yep

Daviss: I thought I registered but did not get a reminder mabe I need to redo

AYWalton: you might want to re-register, for sure, Daviss alt, how was Shamele's presentation?

alt: ProfDru, Seventies Soulchild asked earlier about the 'practicality' of streaming a genelogy conference? wouldn't it be difficult to decide what sessions/events to stream?

ProfDru: hope I'll be able to sleep tonight

alt: AYWalton, Shamele was excellent in the session I attended....

ProfDru: yes alt

AYWalton: I thought she would be. I enjoyed her presentation on maps that she presented at Samford in 2010. She's good.

alt: I thought that would be the big problem ProfDru .... What, Where & When for streaming a conference. she had her 'stuff' together AYWalton

AYWalton: she does. Lisa Lee was fun to listen to as well, and she too knows what she is doing. Alt where was Deborah Abbot? I had hoped she would have been around. she must have had a conflict in her schedule as she is truly a person to have around.

alt: I have to say all y'all 'outshine' the presenters I see at the OGS and other conferences/workshops I attend given by the "larger' community genealogy groups.

Daviss: profDru give me that link again to the webnar

AYWalton: I do think that we had the makings of an institute.

ProfDru: http://legacyfamilytree.com/Webinars.asp

alt: no, Debbie is planning a 3 week cruise to Europe & the Mediterrainian (sp) and was spending her energy on that AYWalton

AYWalton: if we were to do such a thing I wonder who else among the folks there should/could be invited to teach?

Daviss: mabe you should give vkn that tidbit AYWalton

ProfDru: As of yesterday, 500 people had registered for my webinar

AYWalton: I am working on it right now as we chat, Daviss!

Daviss: good AYWalton

alt: wonderful ProfDru, your presentation is a special 'niche' that should create a lot of interest.

ProfDru: hope so alt at least I don't have to worry about my outfit or hairdo tomorrow. lol

AYWalton: lol I hear ya!

alt: oh you women!!!! LOL lOL

AYWalton: I did my webinar in jeans and t-shirt!

Daviss: now it is 501 ProfDru

AYWalton: alright now Daviss!

ProfDru: lol vicky

Daviss: hehehehe

AYWalton: looks like ProfDru has gotta be "on point".

alt: you can still "doll up" for the Webinar ProfDru LOL lOL

ProfDru: I'm planning a razzle dazzle presentation that will be memorable. lol no need alt

AYWalton: can't wait to see you do your technical thang!

Daviss: profDru are you going to submit in SLC

alt: well, it might make you feel more 'professional' as you spellbind the audience with your vocal wizardry LOL

AYWalton: I see that the 2013 FGS conference will be at Ft. Wayne! that's nice.

ProfDru: I thought of even more enhancements last night. lol

alt: that'a good AYWalton, at least for me NGS in Cincy in 2012 & FGs in Ft. Wayne 2013.

AYWalton: uh oh, she's on a roll now! that's true, alt.

ProfDru: not sure right now vicky

Daviss: Ok ProfDru, that would be really nice if you could

alt: btw AYWalton, I really got a kick out of being able to tease Argyrie about her kicking me to the curb for two years. LOL lOL

AYWalton: howdy HistoryBuff! hope you are having a good day.

Daviss: hello HistoryBuff

alt: Hello HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff: Hey AYWalton, Daviss alt and ProfDru.

Daviss: I think I bought the FT Wayne weather with me lol it is 76 outside

AYWalton: have to run folks. have a good one.

HistoryBuff: Cya AY How about that, Daviss-76 degree weather.

Daviss: HB did you sign up for ProfDru's webnar on tomorrow scroll up to get the link

HistoryBuff: Yes I did, Daviss. Thanks for asking.

Daviss: ok lol just promoting

HistoryBuff: Well done, Daviss. Well done lol

Daviss: alt tell Anita i said heyyyyy

HistoryBuff: So you all saw my Howard U Homecoming photos, eh?

alt: okay Daviss , I'm bout to get on her case.... lunch is late today, told ya I'd have to retrain her once we got back home. LOL lOL

Daviss: HistoryBuff have you seen or talked tgo fierybug?

HistoryBuff: lol lol

Daviss: lol @ alt

HistoryBuff: No have you? I think she lives in Baltimore.

alt: yes I did HistoryBuff. your sorority line photo was/is a keeper.

bearnut2: Hey ya'll!

Daviss: yes I did HB and I thought she was near you

alt: hey cuz, see you got home safe & sound....

Daviss: Hello Bearnut2!!

bearnut2: Good afternoon Daviss HistoryBuff and cuz'n alt

HistoryBuff: Thanks Alt. Heybearnut2 .

Daviss: how was your trip back that was for you bearnut2

HistoryBuff: I live in D.C. and apparently she commutes to her workplace.

Daviss: oic History

alt: read about your 'success' in Ft. Wayne cuz'n bearnut2 .. Way to go!!!!!!

Daviss: I have not seen her in chat for awhile

bearnut2: trip back was good Daviss--the bus got me home safely! lol thanks cuz! I am still on cloud nine!

Daviss: How long was your ride bearnut2 I don't blame you for being on cloud nine bearnut2.. There were many of those floating around lol

alt: she's still happy dancin' Daviss LOL lOL

Daviss: yep! thats wonderful

bearnut2: Hmmm...we left right after conference and went to Golden Corral to eat, we were there about an hour or so...we made two pitstops and got to the lot at Midnight--so about 7 hours from the time we left GC lol

Daviss: not bad.. I like Golden Corral

alt: Charles was hectic rounding y'all up.. for him it was like herding cats LOL LOL

Daviss: my fav GC is in Houma La.. yummy lol @ alt. R U saying no one wanted to leave

bearnut2: lol alt I know! lol and I was one of the last cats to arrive!

alt: yep , that's what I'm saying LOL

Daviss: well I am happy right along with you bearnut2

bearnut2: thanks Daviss

alt: yeah Daviss, bearnut2 and I were saying our goodbyes and Charles was pushing her to 'get on the bus'!!!!! LOL

Daviss: heeeheheeheee

bearnut2: Now I'm trying to get a copy of the original

Daviss: where would you get that bearnut2?

alt: guess you can write to the court house where the paper was filed bearnut2, that' what I did and they sent me a copy of the original from the Deed Book

bearnut2: yeah alt he was twirling his finger around in the air! I did back to him and said "whoop-de-doo!" lol yeah, I contacted them yesterday and they faxed me the form and i faxed it back to them. Hope it doesnt take too long. :)

alt: it won't take ;ong, but you'll think it is taking them forever LOL

bearnut2: I wish every courthouse was as "progressive" as Rutherford county! I found a deed listed in the index on Friday and called right away. They found it in seconds and emailed it to me immediately! I was shocked! lol alt for sure!

alt: WOW!!!! that's great

Daviss: is this NC bearnut2

bearnut2: Tennessee Daviss

Daviss: oh ok

HistoryBuff: I've been told TN has mountains of r records.

bearnut2: I'm going to have to call Florida today and see if they've found anything. its been almost 2 weeks.

alt: I'm gonna shoot you a bunch of DNA questions bearnut2 , I got my 'stuff' back from Dr. McDonald

bearnut2: HistoryBuff yes they do! A lot that are not indexed too. Thats why I spent hours looking at rolls of unindexed microfilm in Ft. Wayne. oh cool! shoot away!

HistoryBuff: I heard that.

bearnut2: I'd always been "afraid" of unindexed records. I would have found what I was looking for a lot sooner if I hadn't been. ;) I think my recent successes have cured my fear. lol

alt: my earlist documented AA ancestor was born ca 1735 in

HistoryBuff: That's awesome, Alt!

alt: VA.. I think she may have been 1st or at least a 2nd generation from Africa

bearnut2: wow alt! mine is Zachariah Cage born ca 1790 That is SO Cool! cuz'n alt

HistoryBuff: Yeah mine is David Cummings born iin 1796.

alt: and i just read where the area in VA where she lived was on the James River in a town called Manchester which was an arrival port for newly imported slaves.

Daviss: :o

bearnut2: wow!

Daviss: I have no comment on my earliest lol

bearnut2: That is awesome! Maybe you can find where she came from! lol Daviss

alt: she was owned by newly arrived French Huguenot's so I know they had to buy her or her parents when they arrived around 1705. I'm on the hunt now for a 'bill of sale'

bearnut2: ooh this is getting goooooood....

Daviss: that would be a tear jerker alt

bearnut2: definitely

alt: I'm rejunvenated LOL LOL LOL

bearnut2: lol welcome to "the rejuvenated" club cuz lol

alt: thank you cuz'n bearnut2

Daviss: running folks, take care and have a great day

bearnut2: you 2 Daviss guess I'd better go too--got some familysearchin' to do lol

alt: guess I'd better split too.. good talking with you ladies... perhaps you'll be in chat tonite.

bearnut2: I'll be at work! Take care cuz and tell mrs. cuz I said hi! lol

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy