Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-10-24 Critiquing NBGS 2011

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:04:49
End: 13:18:03
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, Daviss, freeaainnc, HistoryBuff, Selma, Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: Good morning, Missy! How was your flight home?

Daviss: Hello there Missy! lol

AYWalton: And greetings alt!!!! everybody made it home safely I see!!!!

alt: hello ladies, glad to see the two of you are home safe and sound.

AYWalton: indeed and the same for you, alt. I had a great time with you both!!!

Daviss: Flight was great! had to run like heck though to catch my Minn to Phx

AYWalton: oh gracious---but you made it!

Daviss: hello alt!! :) That airport was huge

AYWalton: so glad to be home, and I am still tired! slept for a couple of hours, woke up and blogged a bit, then slept till 11 this morning. Had lots of fun, though.

Daviss: I had a great time and thanks to both of you it was even better

alt: yes Angela, just wish I could have spend more 'free' time with y'all, but Ms. Anita placed some 'limits' on my socializing time LOL LOL

Daviss: lol@alt

AYWalton: well you gotta appreciate Ms. Anita for letting you come out and play! Plus we don't wanna take the responsibility for your actions without restraints! lol

Daviss: lol lol

AYWalton: So Ms. Anita knew what she was doing. :)

alt: you got it AYWalton. I do appreciate Anita's tolerance with me and for my genealogy pursuits.

AYWalton: most of us have family members who probably think we are all nuts. but we keep on doing our thing.

Daviss: I enjoyed Anita as well alt! wonderful lady you have there

alt: but really. it was truly great seeing you again and meeting Vicky for the first time WOW!!!!!!

AYWalton: it sure was!! I think that was the best part---seeing folks! I see why alt prefers to fellowship with folks so much!

alt: I just posted to the History/Genealogy Forum my 'take' on the Summit AfriGeneas @ the NBGS.

AYWalton: oh I have to see your post!

Daviss: Howdy Ms Selma!

AYWalton: Hey there, Ms. Selma!!! We sure missed you!

Selma: Welcome Home Folks...glad you all made it home safe and sound

alt: hello Ms. Selma.. the 'weary' summiter's greet you LOL... sure wish you could have been there.

Selma: Just read your posting alt..wonderful

alt: thanks Selma

Daviss: thx Selma, good to be home and get some good sleep lol

Selma: Sorry I missed it alt...missed seeing you in your PJ's.. LOL

AYWalton: that's a good and thorough post, alt.

Selma: at the Pajama party

alt: I wasn't invited Selma LOL

Selma: Are you posting pictures of the pajama party AY.. LOL

Daviss: lol Selma that was where Anita put her foot down

Selma: LOL

AYWalton: No photos from the PJ party! (what went on in Indiana STAYS in Indiana!) lol

Daviss: lol

Selma: You need T Shirts that say just that.. LOL

AYWalton: I made sure, because someone might have taken one of me in mine.

alt: aw shucks AYWalton LOL

Daviss: heeheheehee

AYWalton: we laughed so hard! pajamas and all, right Daviss? we had one each night---Friday and Saturday!

Selma: Poor daviss...are you glad to be back in "unbearable" heat

Daviss: yes !

AYWalton: which is why I slept till 11 am today!

Selma: How long was the bus ride AY?

alt: before I forget it AYWalton, your presentations were 'outa sight' you were better than I remembered from IBGS... Great Job!!!!!!!

AYWalton: oh that is so nice of you alt, thank you! which one did you get to see, alt?

Daviss: I also can say the same thing AYWalton..

AYWalton: somebody--I think it was Shelly Murphy (keli1) took some footage of me when I was talking about Uncle Sephus.

alt: I saw the one that spoke to uncle Cephus..

AYWalton: thanks so much Daviss, that was so nice.

Selma: Sounds like the AfriGeneas table was the place to be alt and daviss

AYWalton: yes, that is one of my favorite stories from my research.

alt: Vicky & I had 'big fun' Selma...

AYWalton: plus alt and Daviss got quite a few folks to stop by the table. we now have a great mailing list.

Daviss: I think so Selma.. So many of the ones that came by had been on but had to learn how to navigate

AYWalton: that will be a wonderful way to let folks know what is going on and to bring newcomers into the AfriGeneas family.

Daviss: Glad I took my laptop

alt: AYWalton , it was good to see you and Lisa Lee at the AfriGeneas presentation ... y'all were a great morale support.

AYWalton: I wonder if we need an instructional video to put on our own site.

Selma: It might be a good idea AY Walton

AYWalton: oh we had to be there, Alt. We weren't gonna let you two wing it without a cheerleading squad close by. lol

alt: I think so too AYWalton

AYWalton: I have tons of ideas and after getting some rest, I might put them in writing to share.

Daviss: "free" was a the word that needed to be heard loud and clear!

AYWalton: quite true. I am looking forward also to getting on some of the websites that Tony Burroughs mentioned. howdy free.

freeaainnc: hi!

Selma: Afternoon free

alt: AYWalton, the lady you and Argyrie helped almost had tears in her eyes telling me about what y'all had helped her find on her family. that in itself made me feel good about the Summit.

Daviss: hello freeaainnc

AYWalton: hope all goes well.

alt: Hello freeaainnc

Selma: You will ;hav AY..please send me a list of the sites he suggested, please

Daviss: I have not seen you in awhile free, how are ya/ ?

AYWalton: oh gracious, alt---it went on and on----Argyrie helped her later on Saturday evening to find her mother's side. I have some film footage of that as well----she was so amazed. We plan to connect with her soon as she lives in Maryland!

freeaainnc: hi daviss, alt

AYWalton: I will send them to you, Selma

freeaainnc: I'm ok, just been busy :)

AYWalton: And you know that Tony was great!

Selma: free, been meaning to email you, been talking to a woman researching the Deberry surname in Northhampton county NC

AYWalton: greetings, freeaainnc, good to see you!

alt: Tony, as always, but let me tell ya... the performances that I saw by you, Lisa & Tim were 5 star presentations.

freeaainnc: ok Selma hi AY :)

AYWalton: Daviss,alt, did either of you get to Shamele's workshops? oh thank you alt!

Selma: Oh thats great AY..that the woman lives in Maryland and you can continue to assist

alt: yes I saw Shamele she was also very good.

Daviss: I went in for only a few minutes AYWalton

AYWalton: oh yes. She was a true beginner, and knew nothing so we kind of took her under our wing! Selma, this lady brought her ipad with her, and has had it for several months. She NEVER knew that she could get on the internet. Shelley showed her how to get online, and Argyrie, then suggested that she get on FindAGrave as a sample site to visit for free.

Selma: Free, someone sent the Deberry researcher, where a Henry Deberry distributed slaves to family members and emancipated 3...she is a descendant of one of the emancipated slaves

alt: We were able to hook up with the AAGGKY group, the Oberlin, OH group, the Indianapolis group and we'r looking at a 'small' combined effort with them and my my group AAGGMV.

AYWalton: Then Argyrie asked her for a cemetery name, and she gave her the name of one.

freeaainnc: ok Selma

AYWalton: Suddenly she exclaimed "oh my goodness---there's my mother's name! There's my aunt"! then Shelley had her to click on a name or two--and she went into shock---"there's my father"!

Selma: Wow AY...she was probably overwhelmed

AYWalton: When the headstone appeared---she was beyond shock!!

alt: y'all were 'doing it' !!!!!! lol lol

AYWalton: she had her hand on her face like the little boy in Home Alone the movie! She never knew she could get online with her Ipad!! We kept telling her---you have a powerful computer in your hand!! she had no idea how powerful it was! her eyes welled up with tears.

Selma: All this technology is Overwhelming... What was she using her IPad for?

freeaainnc: that is what I was wondering too selma

alt: and they were still there (tears) when I saw her at breakfast Selma

AYWalton: Tony Burroughs was sitting next to her, and he asked her if he could take her photo. Then----he incorporated that photo of her "amazement moment" into his Saturday presentation!

freeaainnc: wow

Selma: How wonderful These devices..big and small..have changed the world as we knew it...

AYWalton: she was so funny----asking "when did he take that picture?" She had no recall of that---all she know is that she saw her father's headstone online!

alt: I'm telling ya.. that was a "dynamite" summit !!!!!!!

AYWalton: I will call her later. that was so much fun! and the discoveries kept going on!

Selma: Sounds like a very "moving" moment

alt: Daviss even got a taste of the changing midwest weather.. from almost snowing to a little sunshine. LOL

AYWalton: there were several. of course it was about 40 degrees cooler than what she is used to!

Daviss: for sure alt lol

Selma: Have you "warmed up" yet daviss...got the airconditioning on.. LOL

AYWalton: somebody asked Daviss if it got cold in Phoenix and she said "oh yes it gets into the 60s."

AYWalton: we just looked at her! lol

alt: hehehehehehe

freeaainnc: lol

Daviss: hit the ground at about 80 degrees yesterday morn Selma and finished the day off at about 98 lol

AYWalton: gracious, Daviss. So how cold will it be around Christmas time?

Selma: 100

alt: heck we got up to the low 50's yesterday Daviss LO

AYWalton: lol The fall colors are now showing a bit.

Daviss: The cab driver on the way to the airport told me he might move to AZ lol

AYWalton: we had a pretty drive through the mountains. Beautiful!

Selma: How long was the bus ride AY?

AYWalton: and I saw a place I have to research in western Maryland-----called Negro Mountain! it was long----12 hours.

alt: I'll bet it was AYWalton and you had daylight most of the way too, right?

AYWalton: we made two stops.

Selma: Negro Mountain..interesting

AYWalton: yes daylight and the Allegheny mountains were simply gorgeous!

alt: you know what it was called before PC

Selma: I was justing that too alt.. lOL

AYWalton: apparently it is a long 30 mile ridge. right near the MD/PA border. there was never a settlement of black folks in the area.

Selma: You gonna have to research that AY..wonder why they call it that, if there was not settlement

alt: y'all would have been proud of Ms Daviss helping fol with her 'puter at the AfriGeneas booth.. she had one lady so wrapped up the woamn spread her stuff out all across the table and darn near got on top of it Daviss was showing her so much more stuff.

AYWalton: it is supposed to be named after one man. But there are several theories all similar--a story about one man, but who knows.

Daviss: lol @ alt!!

AYWalton: lol you should have taken a photo of that lady, alt.

alt: dumb me, I forgot AYWalton LOL

AYWalton: lol

Selma: free are there are guardianship or indenture records for Northampton County NC daviss...Mizz VKN will be so proud of you

Daviss: hoping so Selma lol cause I took my drum corps with me

freeaainnc: should be but let me go check

alt: Selma, I have access to many records here for folks who were manunitted in Northampton Co and their certificates of freedom are filed here in this area of Ohio.

AYWalton: well folks, I had better run. Still tired as well, but so glad I was there and got to meet Daviss at long last! It was like meeting an old friend for sure! Have a great day everyone!!

Daviss: I wish I could type fast lol

alt: you do fine Daviss

Selma: Check and see if there are any Deberry's alt please, but it appears that her folks stayed in Northampton, or at least her direct lines

alt: I'll do that Selma

Daviss: Are you helping a new researcher Selma?

freeaainnc: Selma: yes, there are apprentice bonds for Northampton. guardian records are filed with court records so I wouldn't know unless I dig into their records there

alt: oh, did y'all see the interviews of deannie & Sharon & Jennifer on Youtube? there were done by Eric Hackley.

Selma: Ok thanks free, can she write or call you and ask?

freeaainnc: take that back, they are filed with estate records and yes, they do have those

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon all.

freeaainnc: selma: ask what?

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild , good afternoon

freeaainnc: hi SS

Selma: Afternoon seventies..

Seventies Soulchild: hi alt, Daviss, freeaainc, Selma

Daviss: howdy Seventies

Selma: Free if there is something there and she calls and asks, do you copy and send, it there a charge?

alt: only one bump so far Daviss, very good LOL

Daviss: alt, I was trying to find Sharon but no luck

alt: I'll sen you the URL Daviss

Selma: The interview with you in 2009 was great alt..

Daviss: I was bragging on Google Chrome just yesterday alt lol

alt: thanks Selma Daviss, does your 'magnifier' still come up, or did we fix it?

freeaainnc: I can't do it, I'm in the library section, not archives. If she is from outside of NC, it will cost her $20 per request (research fee). it would probably better use of her money to hire someone. I can send her a list of people to hire. She can also write to the library to see if we have anything in the abstract books

Seventies Soulchild: ok wait a minute, can someone please post the videos from the NBGS conference. Thanks.

Daviss: It still came up alt..Guess i will have to deal with it

Selma: Ok free...thanks..yes she is outside of NC

freeaainnc: if she wants the list or wants to see what I can find in our abstract books before hiring someone, she can send an email to slnc.reference@ncdcr.gov

alt: Oops daviss, sorry bout that

Daviss: whats up Seventies? thanks for posting that Ms link

alt: BBennett has posted pictures on Facebook Seventies Soulchild and AYWAlton has written about it in her Blog.

Selma: She doesn't have email free...is that email direct to you. I will call her and let her know

Seventies Soulchild: No problem Daviss. I've found some documents relevant already to the family.

alt: Haven't seen any videos of the Summit yet.

Selma: Wow..thats great seventies...I know you were thrilled.

freeaainnc: Selma I say it would be a better use of her money b/c archives will charge $20 to request a single record and they will not look for more than that 1 record whereas she can hire someone and they may charge $20 an hour, but can make multiple copies in an hour and cast a wider net

Selma: Ok free

Daviss: Selma what about RAOGK for her

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, military records and tax records. helped place people between the censuses.

freeaainnc: Selma no it's not direct to me, but that is the address she needs to go through (it comes to me eventually after it is counted for statistics).

Selma: Ok..free

alt: I talked with Jim Isom of Familysearch...many good things are on the horizon and not to worry about FS being absorbed (sp) by Ancestry... it ain't gonna happen.

freeaainnc: selma: if she doesn't have email, print off this webpage and give to her: http://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/genealogy/inquiriesbymail.html - these are our guidelines for queries for the state library and our address and I can mail her a list of researchers

Selma: Yea..thats what they all say alt.. lOL

Seventies Soulchild: alt, it was great to hear your voice...

freeaainnc: and also answer any general questions she may have or specific about 1 individual

alt: thanks Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: though you sound different than I imagined. You and vicky did a great job representing AfriGeneas.

alt: thanks again Seventies Soulchild alt says while blushing LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol

Daviss: lol

Selma: Just printed it out free

freeaainnc: ok selma please tell her if she would like me to look in our collection (which represents about a fraction of the original records in the archives) to follow the guidelines - 1 person in 1 county during 1 time frame (I call it our 1-1-1 guideline) if she has more than one person she wants information on, she will need to prioritize who she wants info on first and ask about them first and after that question has been answered, then she can submit a second question

Daviss: is that free, Free?? lol

Seventies Soulchild: LOL brb

freeaainnc: is what free?

Daviss: your 1- 1- 1

freeaainnc: asking for assistance? yes from the state library, not at all from the archives if you don't live in NC

alt: oh, more good news... alt was a 9th time great-grandfather on Weds. 19th of Oct.. a boy, John Carter Hill, III he weighed in at 8lbs 9 oz and was 20 inches long.... this is the first child for this granddaughter and first grnadchild for this daughter.

freeaainnc: we only charge if the researcher wants copies of pages we find their ancestor on oh, congrats Alt!

Daviss: Congrats again alt. I saw his picture and he is a handsome boy

Selma: BRB..on the phone..congrats alt.

alt: thank you y'all

freeaainnc: there is a limit to what we will copy, but there is only a flat fee of $3.00

Daviss: Its so funny Alt and I meeting for the first time. Alt gained a grandson again and I gained a new niece

alt: hello HistoryBuff

freeaainnc: much better to pay the library $3 to for copies than to pay $20 at the archives without even knowing if there is anything

HistoryBuff: Hey Alt, Daviss, Free, Selma and Seventies.

freeaainnc: hi historybuff

alt: wasn't that sumpin Daviss LOL

Daviss: hello historyBuff yep alt!

freeaainnc: congrats to you too Daviss

Daviss: two s'es free lol two s'es

freeaainnc: ack! thought I did sorry hehe

Daviss: lol lol

alt: I won't get to see the new arrival until Thurs, but I'll be going online to see photos taken to this point.

freeaainnc: I typed Davvis at first and backspaced to get rid of the 2nd v but guess I retyped the v again lol

Daviss: whats up HistoryBuff free there were more than a few folks at the Summit that were NC researchers

alt: oh, oh tha's big,,, Daviss was a hit in Ft. Wayne with her two s'es .. the staff at the Library and the summit folks were told to make sure they had the two s's in her name whenever it was spelled out.

Daviss: Lots of folks that found that they had FPOC in line

freeaainnc: cool Daviss wow, cool alt :)

Daviss: lol Curt Witcher said I was known before the summit started because of that two S

freeaainnc: lol!

Daviss: I gotta find that flyer that tells the date when he will be here in Az

alt: well y'all I'm gonna have to run.. got lots of mail (bills) to catch up on.. laters.

Daviss: bye alt and nice meeting you

freeaainnc: bye alt

alt: ditto Daviss

Daviss: ok HistoryBuff where are you lol

HistoryBuff: Finally answering your question, Davviss. This weekend was Howard U's homecoming. I had dinner Saturday with 4 of my line sisters and 4 of my line brothers. It's our 30th anniversary. Sorry I didn't get to say good bye to Alt.

Daviss: Sounds like you had a great week-end then History

freeaainnc: lol HB did it too with the 2 v's :)

Daviss: I see that freeinnc lol

HistoryBuff: Sorry, Daviss.

Daviss: lol lol :o

HistoryBuff: lol

Selma: Have to run folks...

Daviss: both of you are forgiven lol

freeaainnc: thank you :)

HistoryBuff: Thank you :}

Seventies Soulchild: what are you all doing to Daviss?? You need me to whip up on some folk vicky?? lol

HistoryBuff: lol lol

Daviss: thanks seventies lol

freeaainnc: I gotta go too! I was waiting for Selma to come back and I'm past my lunch break! lol. Don't know when I'll be back, so have a great week

Seventies Soulchild: Hey HistoryBuff... how was the reunion? Saw your soror picture on Facebook.

Daviss: u2

HistoryBuff: Cya Free. Good to see U.

Daviss: was it a group picture on FB

Seventies Soulchild: H.U. was missed this weekend at the college fair in Queens BTW.

HistoryBuff: It was great fun. I enjoyed myself reuniting with all of my Sands.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Daviss

HistoryBuff: When was the fair Seventies?

Daviss: I will check it out when we leave here

HistoryBuff: You saw the two pledge lines on FB, Daviss?

Seventies Soulchild: this past Saturday.

Daviss: no HB

Seventies Soulchild: Yes the local representative sets up the fair. The info can be found at www.thecollegeexpo.org Don't fret, my school didn't appear either.

Daviss: I have not been on FB today

HistoryBuff: I don't know why that was but, there was 2-day Int'l Yard Fest on HU's campus. I never saw so many vendors on the yard for Homecoming before.

Seventies Soulchild: But sadly, I'm not surprised. Can't wait for this person who runs it to be replaced.

Daviss: why was that Seventies? Was the promotion limited

Seventies Soulchild: The person who is in charge of the diversity section for the N.E. ugh I don't know.

Daviss: I am gonna run for now. My tummy needs a reward for being good this weekend lol

Seventies Soulchild: I made sure that I told his boss though.

HistoryBuff: Here's a link to the photo, Daviss http://www.facebook.com/#!/ingrid.armstrongdoweary

Seventies Soulchild: lol Daviss. Ok I'm late coming from lunch as well... Y'all take care.

Daviss: u2 be good

HistoryBuff: Cya 70s

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy