Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-09-03 BASS Surname Searching

*SatNiteChat

Start: 21:02:09
End: 22:44:15
Chatters: AmosNY, AYWalton, bbenn, bearnut2, deannie, jhonora, Khathu, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Hello jhonora!

jhonora: Hello Seventies!

Seventies Soulchild: RET Gen Honore is going to be here tomorrow...

jhonora: Really! He is one tough fellow, doesn't take any mess

Seventies Soulchild: Yes... he's coming up for the Buffalo Soldiers memorial ceremony and luncheon

jhonora: Who is sponsoring the event?

Seventies Soulchild: The Buffalo Soldiers . . . hold on let me get the correct name jhonora http://buffalosoldiersofwestpoint.org/ Buffalo Soldiers of West Point founded and organized by my long time neighbor Sanders Matthews. jhonora are you all ok down there? Heard about the storm. The weather man is saying that 20 inches of rain is supposed to fal lin the area. Hey AmosNY how are you?

jhonora: Hey AmosNY

AmosNY: Greetings Soulchild! Hello Jhonora!

Seventies Soulchild: How did you weather the storm down there last week AmosNY?? We got all kinds of flooding up here.

AmosNY: We were under mandatory evacuation and many in my building went to Nassau Community College. I went to a friend's house in Freeport.

jhonora: We are expecting flooding here also

Seventies Soulchild: ok good. Your home was alright then?

jhonora: Amos, you're in NYC, right?

AmosNY: Many stayed but I kept remembering Katrina. I'm just outside NYC,jhonora. I'm one block away from the city line.

Seventies Soulchild: I hear you AmosNY

jhonora: Was there flooding in the city itself?

AmosNY: I saw street flooding in Queens.

Seventies Soulchild: I think that there was little flooding. Times Square was closed and the subways were flooded.

jhonora: In low-lying areas here, people use sandbags

Seventies Soulchild: ok... y'all gearing up now for the tropical storm?

jhonora: Yep, the people who live on the water all evacuated

Khathu: Hello

jhonora: Hello Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: wow! Hey Khathu! ok ssssoooooo what is going on with everyone's research?

AmosNY: Hello Khathu!

Khathu: just editing my database

Seventies Soulchild: ok... yes that's a constant thing. I'm at a standstill. Not much new information.

AmosNY: I haven't done much research lately.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes AmosNY, I see you've been busy. which is a good thing. business is going well for you AmosNY? hello vkn

jhonora: Hello vkn

vkn: Howdy to each and all

Seventies Soulchild: slow night tonite

vkn: Only the strong left standing I see lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

vkn: Well there is a holiday a coming

Seventies Soulchild: so they say. . . lol

vkn: so wassup with amos jhonora khathu and seventies

Khathu: nothing much vkn

vkn: I am only here for s sec

Seventies Soulchild: nothing. Listening to a piece about the war of 1812

vkn: Well today I had Cat Stevens on full blast

AmosNY: Hello VKN!

Seventies Soulchild: lol I spent the day at the mall... ugh

vkn: Long time since I had listened to him

AYWalton: Good evening all.

Seventies Soulchild: Good evening AYWalton

vkn: orite back in the day

AYWalton: Hello there, AmosNY, khathu, Soulchile.

jhonora: Hey AYWalton!

AYWalton: hey hey hey, it's honoray!

AmosNY: Hi Angela!

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!

vkn: owdy Doody mz AYW !!!!

AYWalton: hope all is well.

vkn: all is bout well as can be spected lol

Seventies Soulchild: nite all

vkn: I tried to read some of the correspondence that Selma has been extractin but did not do too well

Khathu: Hello AWalton

AYWalton: there is sooo much stuff that she has. howdy khathu! How are you doing? jhonora, still waiting for Agnes' new number.

vkn: d her she is indeed a heroine to have conquered those records

AYWalton: indeed she is! and there are some real gems in those records.

jhonora: Thank you, AYW.

AYWalton: and every state is like that---some amazing things to find.

vkn: Well I went to family search and kept hitting bumps in the road. Have you used those files khathu/

AYWalton: vkn did you notice that AfriGeneas got mentioned on TheRoot?

Khathu: familysearch is my second home

vkn: I think you told me but I did not see as yet

deannie: evening all

AYWalton: howdy deannie! I use it quite often for sure, khathu!

vkn: howdy deannie I bet they sat in on your webinar ayw lol

AYWalton: I hear that NC will be the next state that they completely put up on the web over on FamilySearch--with Freedman's Bureau records, I mean. lol yes, they do lurk from time to time. and it turns out he is now venturing into giving genealogy advice!

vkn: Yes ayw they have records already on linr for NC

AYWalton: telling folks to send genealogy questions to him. howdy Bearnut2!

vkn: howdy doody bearnut

bearnut2: Hi AYWalton , AmosNY, deannie, jhonora, Khathu, vkn

AYWalton: hope you are well, tonight, bearnut2

bearnut2: I'm good! Found a new cousin this week via Ancestry!

vkn: Khathu I see you had a response out of the woodwork

AYWalton: oh you must be doing the genealogy happy dance for sure, then!

deannie: tell all

bearnut2: oh yeah

Khathu: yes i did

bearnut2: I posted on a thread there last year about House/Howse slaveowners...

jhonora: AYWalton, my piece in the Baltimore Cath. Review should come out next week or the following

AYWalton: oh that's wonderful, jhonora!

vkn: Amos did you attend the webinar presented by AYW

bearnut2: This week a young lady posted on the thread about one of her ancestors, Ben Bass whose mother's name was Martha Howse For some reason Ben Bass sounded familiar... but he wasn't listed in my tree

vkn: If you missed it you can listen on line through the 12th I think

AYWalton: where is that Bass clan from, bearnut2?

jhonora: I am collateral to Basses from Texas

bearnut2: So I started looking for him and realized that he actually WAS in my tree but under the name listed on his marriage record, Emmanuel Bass

AYWalton: and what part of TX?

bearnut2: Bass, House/Howse, Vaughter/Vawter all from Rutherford Co TN

AYWalton: one of my TN Bass lines went to TX.

bearnut2: So the young lady and I are 4th cousins

AYWalton: Uncle Sephus. and which Basses were in Rutherford Co?

bearnut2: hmmm AYWalton--what part of tn were your Basses in

AYWalton: In or near Murpheesboror?

bearnut2: In murfreesboro yes!

AYWalton: Well, Giles Co., then Davidson, and for a little while some were in Murpheesboro, as well. before moving to Kansas. They may have left someone behind in Rutherford.

bearnut2: Emmanuel/Ben Bass, Wilson/Nelson Bass

AYWalton: Emmanuel Bass? When did he live there? what years?

bearnut2: hmmm...there were a lot of Bass' in the area....He was there from 1880s til early 20's

AYWalton: that is most interesting.

bearnut2: Im not sure when he died. His wife was Nancy Vaughter/Vawter

AYWalton: I have some Basses---they were, like all over TN. do you know who his father is/was?

bearnut2: No...I haven't really traced his line as he was the husband of my 2nd great grand aunt

AYWalton: very interesting! I have an Emanuel Bass.

bearnut2: really? where was he?

AYWalton: My Uncle Sephus who enlisted in the 111th US Colored Infantry enlisted with his sons Henry and Emanuel, and also his brother Braxton joined with him. They lived in Giles County for the years they were enslaved. Then in Nashville--and then they scattered. Uncle Sephus and brother Napier ended in Texas. John Silas Bass was a doctor in Nashville and then in Murpheesboro for many years till he moved in Kansas. He graduated in the second class at Meharry. he and my gr. grandmother Mitchell were the only ones who did not join the USCTs. my gr. grandfather had been sent to Arkansas before the war.

bearnut2: wow! I've only found one USCT ancestor so far

AYWalton: John Silas was too young and ended up going with the young master as a body servant.

bearnut2: who was the master?

AYWalton: and in later years, many of the Tenn based soldiers had their documents signed by John Silas Bass---the USCTs, I mean who were getting pensions. Maj. John Bass of Elkton TN.

jhonora: bearnut2, I only have one also

AYWalton: middle Tennessee, due south of Nashville.

deannie: I have to run I have company...have a great nite

bearnut2: My mom's family has been in Murfreesboro as far back as I can find

AYWalton: what unit was your ancestor in, bearnut. later deannie.

bearnut2: Company B 17th Regt USCI and also 101st Invalid unit jhonora--I'm still looking for more :)

AYWalton: Interesting.

bearnut2: I got his pension file last year

AYWalton: if you run across the name, Ordway or Gleaves, bearnut, let me know. bearnut---have you decided to follow the witnesses in the pension file?

bearnut2: will do!

AYWalton: what was his name?

bearnut2: hmmm follow the witnesses?

AYWalton: yes the witnesses who testified on his behalf.

bearnut2: William Manson--my great grandfather was named after him

AYWalton: they were usually close friends and many were soldiers as well.

bearnut2: oh yeah, one of them turned out to be his father! another was the husband of his wife's sister

AYWalton: you should have gotten some good info from his file, I hope.

bearnut2: I haven't really checked on the others

AYWalton: oh gracious----that is how you unlock more secrets of the entire community.

bearnut2: I got some...not much genealogically relevant that I didn't already know

AYWalton: where were they living?

bearnut2: BUT there were some GREAT stories! I'll definitely have to look into them then

AYWalton: you might be surprised to see where the witnesses take you.

bearnut2: He was injured in an accidental shooting at Lebanon and was left in the care of a local family

AYWalton: I see your Wm. Mansford was born right there in Murpheesboro.

bearnut2: I found them in the census up to 1870 but can't find where they went afterwards--they were free colored

AYWalton: Probably knew my gr. uncle John Silas

bearnut2: Manson

Khathu: good night

AYWalton: well in 1870--everone was free.

bearnut2: hmm--I'll have to check on that

AYWalton: the war was over and slaves were free.

bearnut2: no--i found them up to 1870--1850 & 1860 but not 1870 and after

AYWalton: examine his health documents from the file. Oh I see what you mean. but he had to be there---you said he got a pension. and pensions were issued after the war.

bearnut2: no I found the free family who took care of him after he was injured I found him in 1870 and 1880 with his family and wife he died in 1891 I think

AYWalton: yes, during the war, many people were freed. ok I am confused....you did find him or did not find him after 1870.

bearnut2: they were free way before the war. sorry!

AYWalton: ok I thought you had said you had not found him after 1870. meaning the years 1870, 1880, 1890, etc.

bearnut2: I found my 2nd grt grand uncle in 1870 and 1880. I found the free family that took care of him in Lebanon tn in the 1850 and 1860 census but not any after that.

AYWalton: the family that took care of the soldier William Manson?

bearnut2: The family was mentioned by name in his pension papers. He was accidently shot by a member of his unit and was left in that family's care. I think you missed where i mentioned it above lol

AYWalton: no I am trying to get the timing right. I thought you meant you had found HIM with the family taking care of him---but he was not injured till the war, which was in the mid 1860s.

bearnut2: he was shot while in the war. He was left with a free black family to recuperate. He then returned to his unit but was not sound so they sent him to an invalid unit...

AYWalton: ok---I see the old woman Jenny----was where he was left as they were on the move. I am reading his file.

bearnut2: I was trying to see if I could follow the family into present times so I could share the story with them but I could never find them. I finally decided to look for them before 1870 and BAM there they were! He was not living with them at that time. I only knew them afte he had gotten shot.

AYWalton: But you also found Jenny as a free woman before the war?

bearnut2: wow! how did you get the file?

AYWalton: Keep in mind, once soldiers enlisted in a community MOST of the folks freed themselves---but prior to the Union soldiers coming through they were still slaves. I am looking at his service record right now. and he was injured in July 1864. she was "free"---but was she a free woman of color or a newly freed slave?

bearnut2: yes I found Jenny and her family inn the 1850 and 1860 census

AYWalton: ahhh ok, now I see what you mean.

bearnut2: I was assuming a free woman of color since they were on the census in 1850...

AYWalton: and was William with them? and the data matched? That's good.

bearnut2: No--william was a slave living on the plantation of Dr Manson in Rutherford Co

AYWalton: I see. interesting.

bearnut2: Yes, they gave her name and a granddaughters name in the pension files and I found them in 1860

AYWalton: I would follow the stories of the other soldiers in the file, as well.

bearnut2: then tried 1850 and there they were

AYWalton: what was Jenny's last name? that is wonderful!

bearnut2: Hackney

AYWalton: not a common name, either.

bearnut2: I will definitely look into the other soldiers

AYWalton: that is an interesting, story.

bearnut2: no not at all--so I'm wondering if she had died by 1870

AYWalton: So tell me who was Emmanuel Bass? probably. The service file described her as an old colored lady.

bearnut2: Emmanuel (Ben) Bass was the husband of my 2nd great grand aunt--a sister of William Manson

AYWalton: ahhh ok. did they have children?

bearnut2: yeah--a bunch!

AYWalton: lol

bearnut2: my fourth cousin that I found is descended from them

AYWalton: good ole Tennessee folks! really?

bearnut2: I know! my gr gr grandparents had 17 children

AYWalton: when you speak with him/her find out if you can more about Emanuel like the years he lived. gracious!!! tons of chirren!

bearnut2: lol I will--she lives in Germany

AYWalton: my goodness!!

jhonora: wow!

AYWalton: Well those Basses---you know how they are----they are folks on the move. lol

bearnut2: AmosNY and jhonora --sorry to hog the conversation lol

AYWalton: I think Amos is multi-tasking.

bearnut2: hi bbenn

AYWalton: jhonora should I look for your article in the Catholic Review on Sunday? bbenn, greetings!

bbenn: HELLO ...

jhonora: It might be out by then, if not definitely within two weeks.

AYWalton: bearnut2 I can't find Jennie/JennyHackney in 1860. Was she in Murpheesboro, or where? oh ok, I shall keep my eyes open.

bearnut2: no--Lebanon TN I think its Wilson co

AYWalton: what is your topic, jhonora?

jhonora: I discovered this past week that we had an early council in Grayson, Ok.

bearnut2: why do you call it Murpheesboro? lol

AYWalton: I was thinking about Emanuel, I think. lol

jhonora: AY, I trace the Order's history in Baltimore from 1915 to the present.

AYWalton: got it on the brain! in Grayson OK? that is Creek country. did not know there were many/any Catholic folks in the Territory.

jhonora: Many families came up from SW Louisiana to Oklahoma.

AYWalton: ahhh ok that makes sense, then. looking for Jenny, bearnut2. Am curious about her, now.

jhonora: btw, Harrison Latour is one lol

AYWalton: oh my!!! ahem!!!

bearnut2: I'm checking my shoebox

AYWalton: leaving that alone, jhonora! lol wassup bbenn? hope you are doing well.

bbenn: Someone sent me a newspaper article that included the picture of the person mentioned in the Freedmen Bureau labor contract I wrote in my article.

AYWalton: not bringing up Jenny/Jennie, she is hiding out from me, bearnut2

bearnut2: 1860 under James and Jane Hackney--Wilson Co. Dist 10

AYWalton: oh that is wonderful, bbenn!! fantastic!

bbenn: I am really excited. I now have a photo of the person who owned the plantation.

jhonora: Which plantation bben?

AYWalton: that is great!

bbenn: Launcing my blogtalkradio show next Thursday and Melvin Collier is the guest.

bearnut2: cool bben

bbenn: Coxe Plantation on the bureau records and later the Live Oak Plantation in Livington Parish. I also received an article describing the plantation.

jhonora: Were you able to find any inventories of the place pre-War?

bbenn: Nope...

AYWalton: bearnut have you studied the free people in Lebanon? that might make an interesting exercise.

bearnut2: no I haven't--I didn't even know there were any until recently

jhonora: Lebanon, Ky??

bbenn: This is a 1500 acre plantation with a Methodist Church, blacksmith shop, sugar mill and sawmill.

AYWalton: something to put down on your list for sure. I see there were two families there together.

jhonora: bbenn, what is the name of the church?

bearnut2: jhonora, lebanon TN

AYWalton: bearnut2 you also might want to study the history of the Civil War in the area where Manson lived.

bbenn: Live Oak Methodist church

AYWalton: how the union soldiers came through and when they recruited the soldiers.

bearnut2: he lived near stone's river battlefield

bbenn: The Plantation is still standing today.

AYWalton: interesting history.

bearnut2: but he didn't participate in that battle ok--you're giving me QUITE a list! lol

AYWalton: lol I don't want you to get bored. lol

jhonora: Interesting, bbenn, is the church plain old M.E., i.e. Methodist or AME?

bbenn: Yes, plain M.E.

bearnut2: thanks! lol

AYWalton: learn more about the regimen and others who enlisted from the same area. regimen = regiment. I better run, folks. winding down.

bearnut2: awww...

bbenn: I did find papers where the owner gave money to purchase an AME church.

bearnut2: thanks for all the insight and list of things to do

AYWalton: Have a good evening..........we will talk again bearnut2 I am anxious to hear more!!!

bearnut2: nite AYW

bbenn: good night!

AYWalton: plus TN based USCTs are among some of my specialties. Night all.

bearnut2: ooh jhonora have you been having any luck lately? or you AmosNY

jhonora: Yes, of course I have only dabbled in genealogy lately. I have been working on my history of the Knights of Peter Claver.

bearnut2: lol...I've been trying to tear myself away from the dna genealogy and get back to more of the regular stuff oh wow! is that an AA organization? African American...

jhonora: Yes, bearnut2

bearnut2: I've never heard of them, tell me more... do you have a website or blog about them?

jhonora: I don't, but our national site is www.kofpc.org We were founded in 1909

bearnut2: cool! I'll definitely check it out well, i guess I'd better get off of here too. Angela gave me quite a list of stuff to do... lol

jhonora: I'll catch you all later!

bearnut2: take care and have a good remainder of the long weekend!

jhonora: Good night!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy