Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-23 Reunions • Adoptions • Vitals

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:28
End: 13:33:16
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, daviss, fierybug08, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

3rdthawkins: hey alt

alt: hello 3rdthawkins.. how's it going?

3rdthawkins: good man, going good

alt: I was reading the log from yesterday... I had a phone call and couldn't get back to the chat.

3rdthawkins: yeah, I know how that is

alt: a cousin from New Jersey was asking about the Adams family reunion coming up Labor Day weekend.

3rdthawkins: oh...?

alt: yeah, he came last year for the first time, it was our 90th annual reunion and he really enjoyed it.. Wanted to know if we had any 'special' programming for this year.

3rdthawkins: wow, cool

alt: hello vkn. how you be's today? LOL

3rdthawkins: hoping to put a couple fam reunions together myself, one for my mom's dad's family, and one for my dad's side of the family (won't be me necessarily, just hope we can get it going) hey vkn

vkn: Good Tuesday and Good Day, Peeps

alt: you're right on both accounts vkn.

3rdthawkins: I hear the The Help was no 1 at the Box office this wkn hello SS's

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon all

vkn: I b good alt what about you Howdy Seventies and thanx for your help in the purging process

alt: just start small by getting the family together 3rdthawkins, you can always work toward 'bigger & better' things.... getting family together is first and foremost when just starting out ..... IMHO hello Seventies Soulchild , how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: doing good alt, how are you

alt: wonderful!!!!!!

Seventies Soulchild: that is a big step up from tolerable... great!

alt: sure is Seventies Soulchild LOL

Seventies Soulchild: hi bearnut2

3rdthawkins: right alt, that is so true on my mother's father's side....my dad side I just need to know who of immediate family is more interested, such as my siblings and aunts and uncles, I know a couple uncles would love to join

alt: Hello bearnut2... How's your DNA? LOL

bearnut2: Hi Seventies Soulchild alt vkn 3rdthawkins

Seventies Soulchild: one of my favorite blogs has been blogging about "The Help" and food...

bearnut2: lol alt...well its confusing right now. I finally figured out how me and my dna cousin are NOT related lol

3rdthawkins: my mom is moving fast with getting in contact with more of her relatives on her dad's so, very good

alt: perhaps you can get some 'recruits' to help you in your gen/hist research coming out of a family reunion 3rdthawkins

vkn: Alt I would also suggest to involve family members in the process of reunion at the EARLIEST possible moment to be sure that it is a group and not an individual process even though the actual work will be done by a few [maybe even one] individuals

Seventies Soulchild: http://tinyurl.com/42pdwnw

alt: very true vkn

Seventies Soulchild: And you have to make the family get excited about the reunion. So some marketing skills are in order.

alt: that's good bearnut2 .. knowing you're NOT related is a good thing too... saves a lot of unneeded research and specualtion.

3rdthawkins: possibly alt, I think I got my mom's brother a little interested in finding out more information, since he too grew up with out his dad (my mom's father) in his life. So it would be great to get some help.......a cousin on dad's side also interested, that's how we connected, she was doing genealogy also, but she has been out of the loop on that, more concentrated on her personal life at the moment

Seventies Soulchild: Most importantly you need seed money.

3rdthawkins: I agree vkn and Seventies Soulchild, I think one thing that is exciting the elders in the family on my dad's side, is that they are getting in contact with my grandfather's children/grandchildren, people they thought they would never see (again?)

Seventies Soulchild: That's good

vkn: So bear what is this new test admixture from African Ancestry that Deidre is posting about

bearnut2: but thats the thing alt--we ARE related--it just wasn't the most obvious connection. My 1st cousin twice removed married her 1st cousin once removed. Finally figured out the actual relationships last night but theres no way that is our genetic connection. So...back to the drawing board lol vkn--I'm not exactly sure but I think it is similar to the test offered by 23andme and FTDNA's family finder test

alt: oh, okay... you have a 'collateral' relationship and not thru actual direct lines.

bearnut2: alt right--but we DO share dna so there is a direct line connection somewhere

Seventies Soulchild: huh?

bearnut2: actually there are 2 connections because she shares dna with my mom's side as well

alt: okay bearnut2, now I understand

bearnut2: Seventies--I have an AA dna cousin at 23andme

Seventies Soulchild: ok

bearnut2: she shares with both my mom and dad and me I thought I had figured out the connection because one of my Landrums married a Shakespeare...

Seventies Soulchild: all from different families though, right?

vkn: I tell y'all this DNA business is a slippery slope. Time I think I have it down pat then up pops another hill to climb lol

alt: realtonships thru admixture can really get complicated when you get into the siblings of your 'entire' genetic compostion.

bearnut2: but that turned out not to be the connection after all! Seventies--yes all from different families

Seventies Soulchild: I think I agree with you vkn... :}

3rdthawkins: I know vkn

vkn: lol

bearnut2: yep--tru dat vkn

Seventies Soulchild: So someone in your father's family procreated with someone in your mother's family prior to your parents relationship. Got it! that is not necessarily abnormal, though.

bearnut2: Seventies Soulchild yes

Seventies Soulchild: I have several 'double' relatives.

alt: Shakespeare... you aren't by chance related to Rene Shakespeare?

vkn: X is clear and Y is clear but the rest gets muddier and muddier . Woe is me lol

3rdthawkins: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

bearnut2: its weird because their direct lines tended to stay put where they were from so there is no geographical path...lol vkn... My mom and dad share absolutely no dna with each other and neither do their parents BUT they share several cousins

3rdthawkins: wow, crazy

bearnut2: alt--I just made the Shakespeare connection so I don't know 3rdthawkins it IS lol

vkn: I did get a glossary from FTDNA so I will catch up with y'all slowly but surely

Seventies Soulchild: alright good people... I have to go... see y'all later.

bearnut2: you will vkn...have you tested anywhere?

alt: okay bearnut2, that is such an unusual surname for "US".. I think, right?

vkn: Not buying a pig in a poke bearnut lol lol lol

bearnut2: I think so too alt but there are an awful lot of them in AL and FL and I think they are all probably related. lol vkn

alt: I wonder if AA, DNA has a contract with someone to do the testing on their DNA samples?

bearnut2: alt I'm not sure--I've never really checked them out

alt: me neither and was surprised to see that they have entered into the admixture testing arena.

bearnut2: I know! guess I'd better read up on them lol

alt: and probably won't check them out....

vkn: Does that indicate that Kittles and Gates are not on the same pew ?

bearnut2: ? vkn I know that they are both promoting the RITF project at 23andme

vkn: I ask because Gates seems to be 23& Me connected

alt: don't know vkn.... with AA Inc entering the field, I'm thinking that perhaps other 'larger' companies will actually perform the tests dor AA Inc.

vkn: I see

bearnut2: his connection has only been recent with the announcement of the RITF project and Kittles is a "sponsor" of it as well

vkn: I see while looking through " a glass darkly"

bearnut2: Has anyone here ever done any adoption research? I met a lady on Saturday at our AAGHS meeting and am trying to help her...

alt: my understanding is that there are many companies that will do 'comparative' studies on sample results, but there are only a few labs that do the actual testing.

vkn: I have an adopted daughter and two adopted grand children

fierybug08: hello everyone *virtual wave* to bearnut2 vkn alt 3rdthawkins

alt: Hello fierybug08 ... waving back atcha LOL

bearnut2: I think I've heard that too alt

fierybug08: lo @ alt

3rdthawkins: I have a cousin who was adopted out of the family

bearnut2: Problem is--I know how to research folks from way back but its a whole new ballgame when you're looking for recent folks lol

fierybug08: adoptions makes me curious too 3rd

alt: yes it is bearnut2, quite different

3rdthawkins: yes it is bearnut

vkn: and Regina is our expert at the AfriGeneas Adoption Forum

bearnut2: cool! vkn I'll definitely contact her I'd really like to be able to help this lady

fierybug08: i would love to know more about uncovering adoption mysteries

bearnut2: me too fierybug08

fierybug08: it's interesting when children are sent to live with relatives who then become their parents/guardian

bearnut2: I didn't even realize we HAD an adoption forum

fierybug08: i see a blog in your future bearnut2 lol

alt: now that is one aspect of the DNA testing that really comes to the front with adoptions...

bearnut2: yeah--my family had at least one informal adoption and one that was more formal yeah alt, there are quite a few adoptees on 23 there are even a couple of stories--one lady found out her father wasn't her biological father through 23andme and then found her biological father...

3rdthawkins: remembering the movie Antwon Fisher, he went to the health department in his birthstate, and they gave him his info from the institution in which he was born, which was a penitentiary......but depends if the lady is looking for herself or for someone else......it is hard because as I hear, biological parents asks the adoption agency to keep things private, even from the child

vkn: Lots of legalise and rights of biological parents. One of the grands we were adopting went sour after bring with family for over 9 months when the birth father decided to protest and all was ruled in his favor.

alt: AA's are known to have those informal 'in-family' type of adoptions

fierybug08: yeah...that's said

daviss: hello everybody

fierybug08: said=sad

3rdthawkins: hello daviss

vkn: Howdy Davis

fierybug08: hiya daviss

alt: Hello daviss, good to see ya

fierybug08: sorry to hear that vkn

bearnut2: another more recent one an guy found his biological sister through 23andme--it was in the news

3rdthawkins: yep bearnut2 and alt, that was for my paternal grandmother and her siblings, after their parents passed, they first lived with their stepmother, then was split up and raised by different members of the family

fierybug08: also court records if parental rights are relinquished.

vkn: Well avoid the State of Florida!

fierybug08: smh

daviss: for adoptions vkn

vkn: yes

alt: and adoptions laws and proceedings are rapidly changing state by state.

vkn: Overloaded Social workers do sloppy jobs

bearnut2: I know she can't get the state to tell her anything--weird thing is, she knows her mother's name and her mother's siblings names but I can't find them anywhere on the 1930 census--even though they were born in the 20's!

daviss: and they are cutting more here more and more

bearnut2: She really wants to start a family tree but those three are all she knows...

vkn: Have her post to the adoptions forum

bearnut2: will do vkn

alt: my mother and father were not married when I was born and I had to be adopted by my father to 'legally' acquire his surname.... now this was back in the 1930's.

3rdthawkins: was that Ohio law?

vkn: Howdy AYW!!!

alt: and they were never married to each other... that was another factor in my proceedings.

daviss: my x was never adopted but is having trouble also finding his naturals

alt: Hello AYWalton

daviss: well rather I am having trouble lol

vkn: It does get sticky, Alt and so many twists and turns

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!!!!!!!!!!!!

vkn: Yassum

bearnut2: Hi AYWalton

3rdthawkins: I dont' think my mom had that problem when giving me my father's name surname

daviss: He (the x) found out at 20 that the folks that raised him were not his naturals

alt: you bet vkn.... when I was old enough for SS and medicare I had to prove who I was thru the system as my original birth certificate had me recorded as Arthur Lee Adams.

vkn: I hear that alt

3rdthawkins: ahh, I see alt, your name had already been recorded as Adams..?

daviss: hello AYWalton

alt: right 3rdthawkins, from birth

AYWalton: howdy back daviss. Good to see you online again! :)

3rdthawkins: ok, I see

daviss: I wish he had been adopted it may have been easier on him

3rdthawkins: I was thinking yesterday, how a lot of our ancestors never existed through the system because their births were unreported or unrecorded because there was no actual official birth certificate, they just lived they can change their names and call themselves what they want really

vkn: 3rdthawkins that may not be totally accurate

daviss: delayed birth certificates

3rdthawkins: may be not vkn but I know I'm right or close to it, I know at some point some didnt have BC's, and only have DC's, if that

bearnut2: they could do that as long as they didn't want to serve in the military or receive social security or a pension

daviss: I found two of my paternal uncles and one aunt thru that

3rdthawkins: not saying everybody daviss and vkn, but I'm sure there were some

bearnut2: but when they needed something from the government, they had to get their papers in order! lol

vkn: Follow the dollar and vitals are tied to dollars

bearnut2: I have documentation from two great grand uncles who needed their birth info legalized to obtain social security

3rdthawkins: yep, and just because there's no SSN on the DC, doesn't mean they don't have one, one of my maternal 2nd great grandmothers, Effie Roquemore, had a SSN, found her in the SSDI, but it wasn't put on her DC

daviss: my aunts middle name was revealed through that and I went looking for all the Cordelias in that area to see who she may have been named after

alt: so true bearnut2, I wasn't aware of my birth certificate situation until it was needed for some gov't action... I think for my passport.

bearnut2: My great grandmother--their sister--had to notarize a document saying when they were born

vkn: Follow the dollar and vitals are tied to dollars and the tax base

bearnut2: lol vkn true

daviss: so did my mother bearnut2

3rdthawkins: there's no way of knowing if some of my people, like my paternal great grandfather, had a SSN and would have a SSA because I would need proof of death, and I don't know if one exists for him

daviss: The person that signed the document did not even know my mother at the time lol but said he was there

3rdthawkins: oops, scratch that lol I have his DC lol

alt: there she is ... Hello Selma.. how are ya?

daviss: hello there Selma

bearnut2: lol daviss

Selma: Good Tuesday afternoon folks

bearnut2: hi selma

daviss: you do what you gotta do bearnut2 lol

vkn: Daviss the document/affidavit has the testament of 3 people of status swearing that the content is true

AYWalton: Howdy Ms. Selma!!!

alt: Selma, I take anita to the Dr. this PM to have the 'pin' removed from her foot... no more crutches…. just a walking boot which will cause her to walk on the side and heel of her foot... no action with the toes for another 3 weeks.

bearnut2: vkn--was that true always or in more recent times?

daviss: yes, one was my great uncle and and the other was my gr aunt

vkn: Wonderful news alt

Selma: that's great alt

daviss: dang alt I did not know anita was hopping along also

alt: yep, and I think she can drive... hoooray, no more driving "Miss Daisy" LOL

daviss: lol @ alt

vkn: bad bad alt

Selma: I am going to tell alt..

daviss: hehehehehe

alt: Selma, but I love her just the same cause "Caldonia is her name" LOL LOL LOL

vkn: AYW we were discussing birth and death certificates and what when either does not exist.

AYWalton: what was that song about Caldonia?

bearnut2: lol alt

vkn: lol re Caldonia ~~~ running y'all

daviss: I wonder if the courts had log books of names from midwives

fierybug08: daviss are you familiar with Nevada, Arkansas?

daviss: no, not really fierybug08 but I did get a marriage affidavit from Ark

Selma: Dru gggrandmother was a midwife in NC

daviss: I looked for a Monday Cryer/Cryor

fierybug08: oops...i misread something. FamilySearch queries the birthplace of mother and father in their brief descriptions. You have to select the name of the person in order to get the detailed summary. Sorry

daviss: I have some in my lines also Selma but only oral history as proof is that one of your areas fierybug08?

Selma: Maybe it was the ggrandmother..there were records..

AYWalton: I better urn, folks. Working on webinar presentation.

bearnut2: I'd better get out of here and work on my blog entry. Take care all!

fierybug08: well...my grandma's extended family migrated West to California

daviss: where did they end up in Cali

fierybug08: Pasadena Compton

daviss: oh ok.. I went through there a time or two and my grandmother lived in Compton

fierybug08: i still don't have the full story on my grandmother. She died very young. I probably will have to write a letter after all.

Selma: daviss..on 1896 to 1912 birth certificates in VA..midwives were named

daviss: was she ill fierybug08

fierybug08: yes. i don't know what she died of

Selma: What year did she die fierybug?

daviss: I found a 1903 BC online for one of my gr aunts and the midwife was named I tried to find her in the census but no luck mabe I will revisit and see if I over looked her it may be a relative

Selma: For that time period 1896-1910..the majority of the black births were done by midwives.. I should be specific..and say in the Newport News, VA area..not sure how it was across the state

daviss: was it up to the doctors to record the births Selma or the midwife oh, they were listed in the papers oops misread that Selma I was wondering who had to record the births at the courthouses

Selma: For the most part the whiite birth certificates were signed by Doctors..

daviss: I am also wondering about people who were listed as pensioners on their DC's that were not in the military

Selma: The Black certificates by Midwives

daviss: I would imagine that grandmothers who lived in the homes or near had the task of delivering

Selma: There were at least 5 midwives in the area whose names appeared on the forms They were suppose to return the forms in a certain amount of days...will have to go look at a copy

daviss: that really small town where my paternals lived was a long way from the courthouse

Selma: I would imagine there are a whole of folks whose births were never officially recorded

daviss: by car it took us about 45 mins a couple yrs ago but back in the day it makes your wonder how long by wagon

Selma: Many more then we think

daviss: deep- deep in the country are you in line for that hurricane selma looks like it is starting to strengthen

Selma: Well my weather people are tracking it...will know better by tomorrow or Thursday

daviss: you be careful now

Selma: Well guess I better go.. You have a great day.

daviss: ok have a good one

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy