Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-17 Migration • Lisa's Tool

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:01:26
End: 13:23:03
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, bearnut2, Ingrid_Doweary, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn, yatah

3rdthawkins: You Look So Much Better When You Uh-Oh-Oh..... hello Arthur

alt: hello 3rdthawkins.. how are ya

3rdthawkins: doing good

alt: Arthur is fine too.

3rdthawkins: lol I grew up hearing so much about my uncle Arthur, so the name is so fixed in my mine, I am so glad I finally got to speak with him.....but I just hope the Arthur in chat doens't talk as much as my uncle, gosh!

alt: Arthur in chat has been told to shut up on a few occasions lol

3rdthawkins: my uncle, you can literally put the phone down, go do something, come back, pick up the phone, and he's still talking, and won't even know you left

alt: hmmmmm, that sounds like a couple of my friends.

3rdthawkins: but he's cool

alt: all you have to do is to add an occasional uh huh, or somepi'. you & sumpin'

3rdthawkins: yep, maybe record your stuff saying uh huh and just push play and put the phone down lol stuff-self hey Selma

alt: hello Selma, how are ya today?

Selma: Hi 3rd and alt.. Doing OK alt

alt: hearing anything from daviss? I'm missing her here in chat.

Selma: No haven't heard...I miss her too. I thought I saw that she posted something on one of the Forums the other day

alt: yep, I saw her posting,,, maybe she can post, but just can't get into the Chat Room. I've been reading about some very nice 'discoveries' folks are making in their research.... very encouraging for those with 'brickwalls'.

3rdthawkins: well, speaking of which, I connected my mother with her biological father's family, the Townsends over the weekend

alt: wonderful 3rdthawkins, I think vkn is researching the Townsend surname... not sure of locations & timeframes, but do know there is an Ohio connection with her folks.

3rdthawkins: sent a letter to my maternal grandfather's youngest sister (one of only two still living) two weeks ago, she called a niece of her's (my mother's 1st cousin) and had her call

Selma: Your mother never had any contact with this side of her family?

3rdthawkins: she also was able to connect with her half-siblings, two of them, still trying to get in contact with the others.........no Selma, never knew her dad nor any of her siblings

Selma: Well good job

3rdthawkins: thanks

alt: then this is an 'exceptional' find for you and your mother 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: thanks

alt: this will/can keep you busy as you hit 'snags' in your other research areas 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: it appears most of them didn't grow up with their dad either, the 1st cousin of my mom didn't grow up with her dad in her life either....seems the Townsend men were roamers hello vkn

alt: hello vkn.. how goes it in 'Lanta?

Selma: Afternoon vkn

vkn: Good afternoon peeps

alt: does anyone else get the newsletter from the Northern California Genealogy group?

Selma: Is that the one that Lisa Lee was the editor..if so..sometimes

3rdthawkins: hello 70 's

Selma: Afternoon seventies

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn, alt, Selma and 3rd

alt: yes it is Selma.. they have a new editor, format and this latest issue had some very interesting articles. hello Seventies Soulchild, how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: doing 'tolerable' :)

alt: that's good enough for me ....tolerable LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol oh you know, I meant to ask Lisa Lee if it would be ok to use her conganuinuity chart video on my blog... ooh that was a finger twister... lol

alt: Selma, there was an article by a lady in Oakland that connects to Mrs. Lucas' Whitman folks from Prat Co., KS, later in Tacoma Wash and then in the Bay area.... I read her article and said wow!!!!!! Pratt co. Ks

3rdthawkins: hello bearnut2

Seventies Soulchild: hi bearnut2

alt: hello bearnut2... what's up?

vkn: Howdy bearnut & seventies

bearnut2: Hi 3rdthawkins Seventies Soulchild alt Selma vkn

Selma: Sometimes they send a newsletter to our organization PO box..when I get there I will check Hi Bearnut

3rdthawkins: let me ask you all a question....I know about the migration up north from the south, but anybody know what the move to California would be for?

Seventies Soulchild: MS, LA, TX

3rdthawkins: Mainly in the 40s, 50s, 70s,

alt: when 3rdthawkins?

Seventies Soulchild: Its still all part of the great migration... MS, LA, TX

Selma: Depends on time frame

3rdthawkins: oh, ok, thx 70s, just wondering, see a lot of that in my family, I mean, I know why the Jacksons went to California, just not sure why my family did lol

alt: 40's 50's & 60's a lot of it was for job opportunities, military assignments, etc.

Seventies Soulchild: Where did they settle? Oakland had jobs, unions, etc.

Selma: You might want to read the Warmth of Other Suns...she talks about all those migrations including CA

alt: I'm talking about the 1940's 50's & 60's

3rdthawkins: Alameda County, Kern County, Contra Costa Co., Los Angeles Co.,

bearnut2: I've been meaning to get that book! Thanks for the reminder Selma

Selma: It is wonderful bearnut...

Seventies Soulchild: Also Devil in Blue dress main character Easy Rawlins was from TX moved to LA after WWII I'm sure that it was based on some fact, the migration piece

alt: Alameda, Contra Costa are in the Bay area, LA and Kern are of course further south.

3rdthawkins: gotta read that book 70's, haven't read it since the 90s, my brother still has that book, I'm living with him now

Seventies Soulchild: I have been watching a few movies and the migration babies have really been documented quite a bit. In both fact and fiction. I think it was a great idea for vkn to suggest that we start a forum on it. We'd be able to share our stories.

alt: my latest 'thing' has been the migration to California in the 1850's 60's & 70's by some of my Adams & Reno ancestors.

Seventies Soulchild: Gold Rush era huh?

3rdthawkins: yeah, I'll look at the map again for exact locations of those places, and focus on that more

bearnut2: Most of my main line ancestors tended to stay put but I'm finding several collateral lines who moved north. The ones from TN tended to go to MO, IL, OH, or MI and the ones from FL went to NY and PA.

Seventies Soulchild: You mentioned that you had some people in OR & WA states, alt. I wonder if they came there for the same reasons.

alt: I guess Seventies Soulchild. although the made their money by being Barbers and Wagon Drivers.

Seventies Soulchild: I was watching secret passages and they were discussing Seattle and an underground city. They went into the history of the city being a U.S. stop for gold miners going to Alaska I thought that may have been a draw for your migrating family members. Seemed like there was quite a bit of business in that city during the late 1800's and early 1900's

alt: one interesting note is that one ancestor returned to Ohio in the 1860's by way of boat which went around the tip of South America and up to NY.

Seventies Soulchild: wouldn't taking an overland route been shorter and cheaper? Maybe he wasn't in a rush.. lol

alt: not sure Seventies Soulchild maybe cheaper but not necessarily faster. the wagon trains sometimes took 3 months or better. prior to the 1869 when the train routes were opened up

Seventies Soulchild: Interesting alt. I only have recent family who migrated to the West Coast. most of them went from MS to California.

3rdthawkins: I guess definitely researching the times they were living in is a must, I forget about the great depression

Seventies Soulchild: I don't think that there was a lot of permanent migration during the great depression. My great grandfather used to feed and temporarily house black migrants who were traveling through MS during those times.

3rdthawkins: I'm glad for the 1940 census coming out in less than a year and being online, I get to see exactly where they were and what they were doing right before migration, or during

Seventies Soulchild: Remember the great dust storms also affected the economy during the 1920's

3rdthawkins: hello yatah

yatah: hi

vkn: Howdy Yatah

alt: here is a photocopy of a page from the 1861 Sacramento City Directory showing a 2nd great-grandfather as a Job Wagoner for the Golden Eagle Hotel in that city. http://tinyurl.com/3pneqyy

yatah: how is your family history as far ?

Selma: Hi Yatah

vkn: Thanx alt

Seventies Soulchild: nice alt. Hi yatah

yatah: when 1940 cenus come out ?

alt: Hello yatah

3rdthawkins: that's cool alt

Seventies Soulchild: vkn, you're here! :)

bearnut2: hi yatah

3rdthawkins: so yatah, any news about the death certificate or SSA??

Seventies Soulchild: alt, are all these adams yours?

vkn: I am here

Seventies Soulchild: Looking at Chas and Wm

alt: just Willam Adams, shown as "col" job wagon

Seventies Soulchild: ok

yatah: death certificate not arrive not i have wait 15 to 20 during business 3 rd '

Seventies Soulchild: nice bit of history.

3rdthawkins: you doing it via online yatah or by mail

yatah: i have wait next month or last of aug either on

alt: Listed twice as a 'porter & and as job wagon.

yatah: i doing online

Seventies Soulchild: Reminds me I need to harass the people over at Meharry.

3rdthawkins: ok, it should come....when did you order yatah?

yatah: july 29 th

vkn: Who are you seeking at Meharry Seventies

3rdthawkins: ok, wow......I'm not sure about PA, some places do take long to send it......SSA's only take two weeks if it's ordered online, about a month if it's by mail

Seventies Soulchild: My uncle Benj E. Washington. He received his medical degree from there. Looking for educational records, not sure if they have his degree on file.

yatah: yea it was

Seventies Soulchild: No, but I am tenacious. Also, working with these HBCUs can be tough.

yatah: i can order by mail it will fast >

vkn: In what year Seventies

Seventies Soulchild: between 1910 and 1915, not sure of the year.

yatah: i wish i mean

3rdthawkins: online is usually faster yatah, but you never know with some places

yatah: oh ok i got it

alt: yeah Seventies Soulchild, HBCU's are barely able to survive and educate their current students, funds are lacking for archival personnel and the retrieval of information for us genealogist/researchers.

Seventies Soulchild: right, I wish I had the cash to go and just travel for a month or so to these places. I definitely have the vacation time.

3rdthawkins: they get so much mail yatah, that it will take a little while even to get to your mail and process it and cash the check (they do that first to see if it's legit).......online, they already have your order information, so it doesn't take long to process it

vkn: Yes the budget is not there at Majority Black Institutions

yatah: ok

alt: yep Seventies Soulchild, when we have the time we seldom have the monry and when we have the money we seldom have the time..... what a vicious cycle LOL

yatah: i hope i can get right information on that about parents lol

Seventies Soulchild: Truly it is... talk about keeping people down.

Selma: Vkn..did you get my email re: Franklin county VA and PA?

vkn: Well Morris Brown is about to get status back Yes Selma thanx

alt: that's good to hear vkn this latest issue of Ebony has a feature story on Fisk and it's financial troubles vkn.

vkn: A local church raised/donated $22,000 and that retired the pending debt Yes the Fisk situation is sooooooo sad

3rdthawkins: never knew they had problems when I was there *when*

vkn: I did not know there was an Ebony piece. Will get a copy today

Seventies Soulchild: I thought that was for Morris Brown? So it was for Fisk too?

vkn: Yes the 22 was/is Morris Brown

Seventies Soulchild: smh

alt: yepa, for only 22K, it would probably be 'pocket change' for an alumnus from a larger institution to give up that kind of money.

vkn: Fisk prob relates to a works of art

yatah: anyone you remember that you help my family history with davis and mintz ? last time

alt: it does vkn .. relate to the 'art' holdings.

3rdthawkins: I know Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Nashville, they themselves are trying to get out of debt, I wonder if they were helping Fisk? Bishop Walker does a lot for the community there

Seventies Soulchild: I know its chump change for where I'm at. I can tell you $22k is what they spend here on Supe's events

vkn: Thanx for info re article

yatah: anyone ?

Seventies Soulchild: No yatah... don't recall those lines

alt: yw vkn.... got help to keep you informed... you are communication central LOL

Selma: Have you found something new yatah?

vkn: Yatah daviss is having computer probs

Seventies Soulchild: Did you have anything you wanted to ask?

vkn: lol @ alt bearnut how goes it with you?

yatah: i got information from my grandma one of davis family has middle name elathlee

Seventies Soulchild: ok there are too many people buzzing around my desk. I'll talk to you all later. Have a good day.

alt: take care Seventies Soulchild

yatah: davis is have computer probs ?

vkn: yes yatah

yatah: oh where ?

Selma: vkn..who are you looking for in Franklin County VA...

vkn: Selma that is my Keeling - Nelson research area

Selma: Oh, OK

yatah: still work on davis and mintz

alt: and vkn 3rdthawkins mentioned Townsend in his research.. you are researching that surname also, right?

vkn: Yes TOWNSEND from VA NC KY SC GA FL AL and one group ended in OH alt

3rdthawkins: My Townsends were originally SC, then to MS during slavery, then went to TX, not sure when, but was there after slavery

bearnut2: vkn--sorry I was working on a spreadsheet. lol Things are a bit slow right now, I'm waiting to hear back from a cousin on how we are related

3rdthawkins: they don't show up in 1870

vkn: Much luck to you and cousin bearnut2

alt: and how many times removed, huh bearnut2 LOL LOL

bearnut2: thanks vkn--btw, this cousin was found using dna rather than traditional genealogy AND she's AA :)

3rdthawkins: hello Ingrid

bearnut2: alt lol lol As soon as she tells me exactly how she's related to my dad's 2nd cousin I'll let you know lol

alt: hello Ingrid_Doweary ,, how are ya?

vkn: ahhhhhhh so how goes the 23&Me bear

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Alt, 3rd, Selma, Vkn and Bearnut2. I'm good how are you?

Selma: Hi Ingrid

bearnut2: Hi Ingrid_Doweary

vkn: Ingrid howdy

alt: doing well Ingrid_Doweary, thanks bearnut2, have you read my loooong DNA story in reply to Gail yet?

bearnut2: vkn its pretty exciting lately--I've suddenly gotten a lot of AA cousins but I know its not related to the AA Health Project so I'm expecting many more soon

Ingrid_Doweary: Sorry I missed Yatah and sorry I completely forgot about last evening's chatg session. Still trying to restore my laptop software.

vkn: I did an embed of Lisa's cousin loop on Talking

bearnut2: alt--did you write it yesterday? I do remember reading something by you yesterday

vkn: It is a neat tool

alt: no, just this morning bearnut2

bearnut2: ahh--no but I'm going to read it now! lol vkn I really like her cousin Loop! Thats a great way of explaining it

alt: yes, I think so too vkn ... as I said she's built a better mousetrap LOL

vkn: Indeed bear and alt

Ingrid_Doweary: chatg=chat

alt: well, Miss Daisy has some driving for me to do.. later's y'all

Selma: Bye alt

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay Cya Alt.

vkn: bye alt

Selma: Time for me to run too folks...have a great day

bearnut2: bye alt and Selma

vkn: a good day to all

Ingrid_Doweary: You do the same, Selma. Sounds like you have your work cut out for yor, bearnut2 .

bearnut2: yes, definitely! Ingrid_Doweary but I'm enjoying the ride! lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Indeed, enjoy the ride! lol

bearnut2: lol Funny thing is...although my parents have no dna in common they share several cousins! lol

vkn: Are there more 23 and me kits bearnut2

Ingrid_Doweary: Several distant cousins, bearnut2 ?

bearnut2: Ingrid_Doweary yeah most of them tend to be 4th cousin range for my dad and 5th cousin range for my mom vkn--to you mean in the AA Health project or for me personally?

vkn: for the project

bearnut2: I'm not sure whats left for the project. I know they sent out kit codes last week for a lot of folks but I'm not sure of how they chose the recipients I'm guessing it was random...

vkn: I see thanx

bearnut2: I was going to purchase several more kits for family but because I signed up 4 people for the study they gave me 4 free kits I signed up the 4 people that I had already bought kits for and tested

vkn: wonderful. Wondered how that worked

bearnut2: vkn definitely! lol

vkn: Laters Ingrid and bearnut

bearnut2: take care vkn guess I'd better go too... take care Ingrid_Doweary

Ingrid_Doweary: Take care bearnut2 Bye

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy