Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-12 23&Me • Updates

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:06:24
End: 14:10:16
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, bearnut2, freeaainnc, Ingrid_Doweary, Khathu, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

alt: hello bearnut2.. how are ya today?

bearnut2: Hey alt! I'm good. just re-reading yesterdays convo

alt: Interesting, huh? I haven't read it as yet tho'

bearnut2: yeah...very interesting

alt: I received and sent in (today) my DNA for the 23andme project.

bearnut2: yay! I think you'll really like 23andme

alt: not sure what it will do for me.

bearnut2: give you a few more cousins at least lol

alt: that's possible, at least those who haven't tested with FTDNA... and maybe even some of them.

bearnut2: The AA health project came at a great time for me, personally since I was able to get enough kits for all of my deceased maternal grandmother's siblings. :) thats true alt--quite a few there have tested with FTDNA

alt: wonderful!!!!! from their homepage, health seems to be their 'forte', with the genetic genealogy a "and by the way thing". health

bearnut2: alt true--but over the past year or so the ancestry interest has really picked up!

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

bearnut2: hi AYWalton

AYWalton: howdy alt, and bearnut2

alt: Hello AYWalton, how are ya today?

AYWalton: doing well, and you?

alt: did you also sign up for all of the health-related projects and surveys they offer? I bypassed those and just requested the genetic aspects of their testing.

bearnut2: the project requires you to answer the project-specific surveys but I also have answered most of the others as well.

alt: okay, I see

bearnut2: Hi Seventies!

AYWalton: hello there, SoulChile.

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all! alt, AYWalton, bearnut2

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild , how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: doing well alt? and your household?

alt: fine and dandy. thanks Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: good!

bearnut2: they used to have the health and ancestry separate--you had to sign up for one or the other--but now its all included. The AAProject is mainly a health driven project but you have access to everything.

alt: bearnut2, are you going to the FGS conference in Springfield, ILL?

bearnut2: alt--no sadly not...I had originally planned to since it was so close but decided I'd rather attend the one in Ft. Wayne

Seventies Soulchild: Are they still making people subscribe to the 23andMe service?

bearnut2: Seventies--I'm not sure I understand the question...

alt: ah so, I can understand that bearnut2 re; Ft. Wayne vs Springfield

Seventies Soulchild: There was a $5 a month subscription fee for 23andme... this was when they were running their special at christmas/new years time.

AYWalton: howdy khathu!!! good to see you!

Seventies Soulchild: Hey all I have to run. organizing a.... hold up... Khathu? is that you??!!! lol

alt: well Hello Khathu, how are ya and welcome bcak.

bearnut2: oh--yes there is still a subscription fee though now it is $9/month since they dropped the initial cost

Seventies Soulchild: hey Khathu!

Khathu: Yes it is. I am still in Phoenix. Will be here until Monday

Seventies Soulchild: I hope everything is going well for you Khathu.

AYWalton: Phoenix is a beautiful city, but it can get hot!

bearnut2: but if you are lucky enough to get in on the AA Project its ALL free--no cost, no subscription

Khathu: My monitoring visit has been extended

bearnut2: Hi Khathu

Seventies Soulchild: Look y'all I have to run. Set up an impromptu b-day celebration for my co worker... talk to y'all later. Have a great weekend!

Khathu: I found out 3 hours before I was scheduled to depart

AYWalton: oh wow.

bearnut2: wow Khathu talk about short notice!

alt: I'm surprised that the 10,000 number has not yet been exceeded. will you be working all weekend?

bearnut2: alt--I'm not sure where they are yet on the number--I think they may be holding some kits to offer to black organizations like they did with the Urban League convention

alt: okay bearnut2 hello vkn.. how you doing?

bearnut2: Hi vkn

AYWalton: Greetings, VKN!

vkn: Howdy to all

alt: I wonder if some of the AfriGeneas readers who were complaining about the cost for DNA testing have 'jumped on' the 23andme offer?

vkn: Trying to be in two places at once so need to be cloned

Khathu: I'm off for the weekend.

alt: if anyone can do it, you can vkn LOL LOL

Khathu: Hello vkn

vkn: Howdy Khathu

bearnut2: Hi ProfDru

vkn: Howdy ProfDru

alt: perhaps you can get in touch with daviss Khathu.

bearnut2: I wonder too alt

Khathu: I need to go shopping and pick up some clothes

ProfDru: hello gang

Khathu: i don't have her contact info outside of an email

alt: hello ProfDru,

ProfDru: hello gang

Khathu: Hello ProfDru

AYWalton: ProfDru is in the house! How are you today? yes, that's right, daviss is in Phoenix! She would love to meet you I am sure.

alt: daviss is having 'puter problems Khathu, perhaps we can email her and have her email you with her contact info..... just a thought.

AYWalton: As she suffers through computer withdrawal---with her machine on the blink. I have her phone number and can share it with you, khathu.

Khathu: can someone forward her my contact (cell phone #)

AYWalton: I will do that, khathu

bearnut2: Welcome back ProfDru lol

ProfDru: have any of you seen the movie The Help?

alt: I haven't ProfDru, have you? and if so how did you enjoy it?

AYWalton: ProfDru good reviews on the book, TheHelp.

bearnut2: Not yet but plan to I downloaded the free book yesterday but have only read the first chapter--very good!

AYWalton: I have read the book and thought it was a good read.

ProfDru: yes, the book was good also.

vkn: Link bearnut

bearnut2: vkn--lol ok be right back

ProfDru: the book/movie seems to have a lot of black folks upset.

alt: Are they saying why they are upset ProfDru?

AYWalton: I am finding that they are upset for different reasons----the Af. Am Women historians were voicingc omplaint over language--- like typing Law for Lawd, or Lord, or whatever---claiming she was using dialect. others were saying that it was really a story of white women and not black women, and on an on............

vkn: mis using speech patterns ayw

AYWalton: but the fact that it has folks talking will sell more books. yes, exactly,vkn. I mentioned it in my podcast today---when I get it uploaded later you can listen.

ProfDru: there is a lot of discussion on twitter about the movie

AYWalton: I find it all interesting--in the times in which we live. what group on Twitter ProfDru? I have not seen much on my Twitter groups.

alt: why do 'our' folks expect the "king's english" in slave narratives and period movies when we don't even speak it today?

AYWalton: probably just the folks that I follow.

vkn: AYW what was the book on the same subject written by Black domestic workers in DC about three years ago

AYWalton: good question alt. Living In, Living Out.

ProfDru: go to hashtag #thehelp and you can read all comments related to movie.

AYWalton: Actually it was written in the 1990s---I had to search for it myself. ahhh ok, will do ProfDru. the book was by Elizabeth Clark-Lewis---Living In, Living Out. I found the book to be quite good. It dealt with the hipocrisy of society.

alt: so Khathu... are yoou settling in to your new position?

AYWalton: Wow ProfDru, that group on Twitter is truly busy!!! Howdy Ms. Selma!

Selma: Afternoon folks

ProfDru: yep, it sure is.

alt: Hello Selma.. how are ya today?

AYWalton: I see there is a tour of the neighborhood that inspired the book! ankle getting better Ms. Selma?

Selma: Yep

Khathu: It is keeping me buy alt

AYWalton: have you read The Help yet, Selma?

Selma: No

alt: is it what you expected? wanted? Khathu

Khathu: neither but it is a good experience

alt: well, you can't beat a 'good experience'.

Selma: Is it still Hot out there Khathu?

bearnut2: ok vkn--here is the link http://thehelp-ebook.blogspot.com you have to answer a couple of surveys...

AYWalton: howdy Ingrid

alt: Looked at the FGS program posted by Tim Pinnick... jam packed with great presenters and exhibitors.

AYWalton: she's gone, bearnut2

alt: Hello Ingrid

bearnut2: Hi Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey AYWalton, Alt, bearnut2 , Khathu and Selma.

AYWalton: interesting site for the ebook. how can one download it for free? I have read it already, though so no need to download it.

bearnut2: click on it and answer the surveys

alt: bearnut2, haven't forgotten you on the Google tips & techniques by Shamele, just having a little trouble finding it LOL LOL LOL

AYWalton: I don't see any survey button, bearnut.

bearnut2: thanks alt! lol

AYWalton: oh you mean to download the book. I have read it already.

bearnut2: aywalton--yes you click on the download button and answer the surveys and then you can download the book

AYWalton: well I have to run, folks, have a great day.

Selma: Ihave to run too folks..have a nice day

alt: folks splittin' on us... anyone have a good topic. or any topic? LOL

bearnut2: so....anyone having any research luck?

alt: finding some good 'family history' stuff bearnut2, nothing 'new' genealogically.

bearnut2: cool alt--please share

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm stuck trying to download my remote backup files.

alt: migration and occupations of family from Ohio to Michigan, Iowa & California from the 1840's thru the 1900's bearnut2 thru= up to the 1900's

bearnut2: My family didn't migrate much--at least not the immediate lines. Some of the collateral moved from FL to NY and PA and one from TN to MO to IL to MI you still there Khathu?

Khathu: yes

alt: my AfriGeneas Angel has sent me some materials she found online from google books and newspaper archives for the time period of 1860 to the early 1900's.

bearnut2: wow alt--do they mention your family or just times and places they were? Ingrid_Doweary did you mean you are dowloading your backup files right now?

alt: no they mention family, by name,... and then I go to the census and other records I have to verify time & place.

bearnut2: that is cool! seems my family tended to keep a "low profile" lol I've only found 3 blurbs in the newspaper that mentioned anyone in my family

alt: we have a 2nd great grandfather documented as being in California from 1850 until his death in 1871.... we just haven't been able to find the wagon train that he went west with his record in city directories, newspapers, tax records, obit & burial record w/ a photo of his burial site.

bearnut2: that's awesome alt! wish I could find stuff like that on my folks but it seems to be few and far between in the south wb Ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: Hi, got kick off when I moved my laptop to another room. Thanks bearnut2.

alt: I went TDY to Sacramento 3-4 times a year in the 1960's & 1970's and never knew that's where he settled and died until I got into genealogy in the 1980's.

bearnut2: ugh alt

Seventies Soulchild: hey all

bearnut2: wb Seventies Soulchild

alt: ain't that a bummer bearnut2 LOL LOL wb Seventies Soulchild

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Seventies Soulchild!

bearnut2: major bummer! lol

Seventies Soulchild: hi Ingrid_Doweary gosh alt, you're getting all kinds of goodies from your genealogy angel

alt: and the kicker bearnut2, my daughter was stationed in Sacramento (Rancho Cordova), the same area where this ancestor was located and died in 1871.

bearnut2: well, I think I'm gonna go try to do something "productive" like get dressed! lol

alt: that'll work bearnut2

bearnut2: that is definitely a kicker alt

Seventies Soulchild: lol bearnut2

bearnut2: ya'll take care!

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow. Did you make any connections through her visit there, Alt?

alt: you too didn't know about the connections then Ingrid_Doweary

Seventies Soulchild: that's interesting alt

alt: yes it is Seventies Soulchild

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh sorry to here that. Did you see any death records for the ancestor?

alt: well, time for me to skedaddle... y'all take care.

Seventies Soulchild: alright alt see ya

alt: ve his obit, death & burial record Ingrid_Doweary, I have copies of those

Ingrid_Doweary: Well Seventies, what's new.

Seventies Soulchild: Right now nothing. Just trying to track family. I found the recent death of another relative in the family town newspaper. Gave information about the extended family. Made a quick entry on my great great grandmother Celie Williams on my Family Griot Blog I'm trying to get back to MS sometime in the fall or early spring. Want to do more onsite research

Ingrid_Doweary: You do have a blog, yes?

Seventies Soulchild: yes thefamilygriot.blogspot.com

Ingrid_Doweary: Good for you.

Seventies Soulchild: thank you

Ingrid_Doweary: Good luck on the travel research.

Seventies Soulchild: thanks I have some things I really, really want to do. In this economy, we may as well do the things we love and have some joy in life.

Ingrid_Doweary: I heard that and concur.

Seventies Soulchild: What have you been working on for projects with the Archives? fierybug08 said that you all met up.

Ingrid_Doweary: I'm still trying to verify my husband's ancestor participation in the Civil War. I did meet Fierybug08. nice lady with a great deal of information. Once she organizes what she has, she will certainly go far.

freeaainnc: hi! in late lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Free, good to see you.

freeaainnc: thanks, you too!

Ingrid_Doweary: You're welcome. What's new with you.

freeaainnc: not much busy at work with book repairs

Ingrid_Doweary: Current publications or vintage publications?

freeaainnc: just had a meeting with boss yesterday and now I need to write some procedures for other staff one what to pull

Ingrid_Doweary: Would that be part of the weeding process, Free?

freeaainnc: sorta, yeah

Ingrid_Doweary: okay.

freeaainnc: I do all the book repairs and staff usually find books to repair while they are scanning for stats. some of them pull everything that has any kind of problem, but my big boss (boss' boss) wants me to focus on usability rather than preservation so I'm not supposed to repair every little thing I have a lot of backlog from the people who did it before and retired and I have done over 300 books since I started in June, but for every book I've done, at least 1 more has come in

Ingrid_Doweary: Big Boss is setting priorities, eh?

freeaainnc: yep, she is! lol so I'm working on creating a checklist for staff that if they find something they can compare to the check list and determine if it's "bad enough".

Ingrid_Doweary: Makes sense.

freeaainnc: I think big boss wants to focus on usability rather than preservation because of the budget - we have no money for supplies so I have to work with what we have right now maybe when the budget is better she will let me work on the preservation aspect - which is what I was trained to do as a college student what's new with you?

Ingrid_Doweary: I have less than 12 hrs to give a short genealogy briefing for my husband's family reunion and my time has been spent trying to restore my files to my new laptop hard drive.

freeaainnc: wow!! less than 12 hours? so it's at 1am? :) wb!

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks, hit the wrong key.

freeaainnc: don't know if you saw my last comment.. less than 12 hours? so it's at 1am? :)

Ingrid_Doweary: Well I guessing time left for preparation. It's tomorrow at about 2:00 pm EST in York, PA.

freeaainnc: guess you mean less than 12 hours to finish it

Ingrid_Doweary: Indeed, Free.

freeaainnc: oh wow, I have a brick wall who lived in York Co., PA lol

Seventies Soulchild: hi freeaainnc

Ingrid_Doweary: It's going to be short about 5 minutes to present.

freeaainnc: cool

Seventies Soulchild: I forgot I was still logged in!

freeaainnc: she's awake!!!! :)

Seventies Soulchild: lol

freeaainnc: hi SS! how are u?

Ingrid_Doweary: What's your brick wall, Free? Hi there, Seventies.

Seventies Soulchild: Listening to the story of a man who found his father whom he had never met. Very touching.

Ingrid_Doweary: Wow.

freeaainnc: Ingrid his name is David Bradford b. abt 1720 or a bit before. As an adult he was a member of Chanceford Presbyterian Church which I believe is/was in York County. sounds like SS

Seventies Soulchild: www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=139529470&m=139570911 now freeaainnc, have you been able to track him to Europe?

freeaainnc: Ingrid - he's been the brickwall of my family since before I was born! lol

Ingrid_Doweary: Lol lol lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol Do you think he may have immigrated here 1720 is kind of early

freeaainnc: SS, that is why he is the brick wall! lol we can get back past 1740 something when he first appeared in a tax record in either York or Chester Co. actually, there were already lots of Bradfords in the US before 1700 - William Bradford from the Mayflower was the first

Seventies Soulchild: hmmmm interesting.

freeaainnc: But there was an Irish that came in the late 1600s and we think he is descended from them, but can't find a connection

Seventies Soulchild: I always say British never kept the best records.... lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I remember reading about the Mayflower and watching Ashley Judd on Who Do You Think You Are.

Seventies Soulchild: I just can't relate... lol

freeaainnc: lol I do know that he is NOT from the Mayflower Bradfords but that is all I know for sure lol

Seventies Soulchild: ok do you think he may have taken on the name upon his arrival? At that time PA was the wild frontier and you could be anyone you wanted to be.

freeaainnc: When I started genealogy, it was going forward from Gov. Bradford of the Mayflower and I went through 7 or 8 generations before I gave up and there was never a David Bradford in PA who migrated to NC it's possible, but again, no records

Seventies Soulchild: Are there any Quaker records from that era?

freeaainnc: I would really love to take a trip to PA and do some digging myself he was Presbyterian, we know that much

Seventies Soulchild: oh you did say that.

freeaainnc: yeah, before I was born, the Chanceford Presby church was contacted and they found a letter from the minister there in 176-something who stated that David and his wife were members in good standing there and then they found another letter in his new church in NC saying the same or something like that. I've seen a copy of the letter

Seventies Soulchild: cool

freeaainnc: that is why we know which church he belonged to and he lived in 3 different counties at least in PA because we have take records - 1 in 1740s and 2 in 1750s which help show his migration route but nothing before the tax records

Seventies Soulchild: Well good luck with that. I hope that you can hop on over to PA to dig through the records. Maybe there is a baptismal record for him somewhere at the church

freeaainnc: would love to! last time someone did that was before I was born - they hired a pro researcher, but i don't trust his work b/c there is a lot of inconsistencies and he made a lot of jumping to conclusions that were wrong

Seventies Soulchild: ah okay. Yes no one knows your family like you do...

freeaainnc: maybe SS, but he went to that church as an adult, baptismal record would probably be at a different church

Seventies Soulchild: Maybe he was quaker before...

freeaainnc: he claimed his wife was mary lancaster, the daughter of John lancaster based solely on a statement in John's will when he left 5 gineau to "Mary Bradford, my no longer daughter"

Seventies Soulchild: Just throwing ideas out there.

freeaainnc: could be! actually that my grandparents switched from Presby to Quaker in NC

Seventies Soulchild: Its worth looking into freeaainnc

freeaainnc: but that Mary Lancaster, I did some research on her and she married a Henry Bradford and died about 1785 I think but our Mary lived until 1800-1810 census yeah, it is

Ingrid_Doweary: Definitely interesting.

Seventies Soulchild: I have to go ladies... talk to you later.

freeaainnc: every year I do a new search for David in Ancestry and footnote hoping there is new info but there never is she leaves too quick! lol

Ingrid_Doweary: I know. It's time for me to get back to my software restoration. Good talking with you Free.

freeaainnc: no problem and have fun tomorrow :) bye

Ingrid_Doweary: Thanks you take care, bye.

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy