Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-08-01 Post CW Marriage Records

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:11:59
End: 12:58:44
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

alt: Hello AmosNY , how goes it?

3rdthawkins: hey alt, and What's Up Amos! :)

alt: Hi 3rdthawkins , got some info for ya.

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon, 3rd, alt, AmosNY!

3rdthawkins: oh yeah alt? hey Seventies

alt: the SErial # for your GFather was it 659 47 74 ? Hello Seventies Soulchild

3rdthawkins: hmm, don't think so, let me get that document alt

Seventies Soulchild: hi Selma

Selma: Good Monday afternoon afternoon

3rdthawkins: no alt, that's not him.......hey Selma

Selma: I meant everyone..

alt: hello Selma,, how ya 'hopping' :)

Seventies Soulchild: be back in a bit

3rdthawkins: I'm at my bro's apt where my gf's military recs are, so I will send you the info needed alt

alt: okay 3rdthawkins, that's the serial # for 6 of the 9 that we suspected may be your gfather.

3rdthawkins: ok wow 892 72 45 alt

alt: now when I say serila #, I'm not talkinf about SSN, you understand that, right?

3rdthawkins: right, Service number you mean

alt: Okay 3rdthawkins , gotcha thoguht we had sumpin 3rdthawkins :(

3rdthawkins: that's cool alt, wish I had this info yesterday with me but will email you what I have the problem is, he may or may not be Thomas A. Hawkins, probably just thomas hawkins, so, idk as far as what shows up on the document

alt: I see a 'new' movie is coming out on the Tuskegee Airmen "RedTails" watch folks jump on it about it's historical accuracy, forgetting it is a movie and not a 'documentary". hello vkn, how you be's?

3rdthawkins: you're right alt, we hve to remember it's BASED on a true story, and not a total word-for-word true story..........helo vkn

Selma: Hi vkn

vkn: Howdy 3rd alt Amos Selma Being good

Selma: I agree with you alt..but for some folks, if they see it on the big screen it must all be true

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all. hi 3rd greetings malt, AmosNY, Ms. Selma!y

Selma: Hi AY

alt: yep, that's what happened with "Glory" & The Tuskegee Airmen" & "Malcom X .. they were thrown out like the baby in the bath water because of "liberties" taken in adapting the story to a movie. these are movies na dnot documentaries LOL and not

3rdthawkins: hello AY i don't like it myself alt, but they do make the point it is based on true events my pet peeve is when they switch things around it was person A who did something not person B, but hollywood switches the events around sometimes you can understand it, but I wish they would keep it as it was

alt: AYWalton, have you seen the completed program schedule for the NBGS in Ft. Wayne? .... speakers, topics & time slots

AYWalton: have not seen the final program. I shall take a look.

vkn: ayw alt do you use google analytics if so how do you like the results it produces

AYWalton: I have never used it, vkn. Not even sure what that is.

alt: no, I don't use google analytics vkn... sorry can't help you with that one.

vkn: will send you an email ayw

alt: has anyone signed on with google+ ??

vkn: not i

AYWalton: ok thanks, vkn. I have signed up for google+

Selma: What does google + do that the regular one doesn't

alt: me neither vkn, don't know if I need another 'hoop to jump through'

vkn: plus is getting good reviews

3rdthawkins: wb Seventies

AYWalton: it is not a search engine, Selma.

alt: another 'social networking' thing Selma

AYWalton: It is a community kind of like facebook or twitter.

Selma: Oh..jeez..well count me out

AYWalton: I only have genealogists in the circle.

Seventies Soulchild: thanks 3rd I see that everyone likes Google + with the exception that they deleted several accounts of people who didn't use their real names.

AYWalton: You can put your contacts in separate circles your family circle does not have to see your genealogy posts, unless they are in that circle as well.

vkn: howdy seventies

3rdthawkins: too much keeping up with the Joneses for me too AY alt and Selma

AYWalton: keeping up with the Jones is imitating for status. For some, google+ is a method of managing contacts. I am not aware of folks trying to keep up for any status among the contacts that I have in my genealogy circle.

3rdthawkins: ok, sounds good to mee

AYWalton: Many of whom are regulars right here. Selma how is the foot?

Selma: Hopping.. LOL

alt: hard cast this week Selma?

Selma: Have doctors appointment tomorrow..will find out

alt: good luck & best wishes Selma

vkn: Outstanding postings to Reconstruction, Selma. rich details

Selma: Thank you

AYWalton: keeping it elevated? (except when hopping?)

Selma: Yes AY..elevated..my grand daughter is enjoying working the controls of the bed.. LOL I ordered some MD and another states records 2 rolls at FHC but don't know if I can get there before they send it back

alt: can you get them to extend on the loan?

Selma: I wanted to go back and finish the 1865 AA census roll but not sure if I can get that either What did I send you the image of..was it Alabama Maybe I will call them and check alt

alt: David's response on the procedure used by GA for the legalization of slave partnerships following the CW was very interesting,,,, sort of a 'blanket' acknowledment.

Selma: Yes, Barnetta gave the laws that applied to the different states in the intro to her book

alt: and how the wording 'absolved' any paternity by white men of slave children.

vkn: Alabama also issued a blanket

alt: guess I'd better re-read the intro Selma and stop doing just lookups LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Interesting convo

vkn: Florida charged $2 to issue a cert. Most were done in Dec 1866 for FL

Selma: I am trying to determine if any of the states asked for a census of the black population like VA did..the only other one that I have seen is the one in Alabama for that one county

Seventies Soulchild: what county Selma?

Selma: Was it Alabama vkn.. Let me check seventies

vkn: Madison Limestone yes Selma and included some in TN

Seventies Soulchild: Madison seems to have a lot of info on its black population. But at one time Huntsville was the capital city of AL

vkn: It was the first Capitol seventies

Selma: Yes,thats what it is Huntsville

Seventies Soulchild: ok

AYWalton: There was the 1866 census for the entire state of Alabama. I have used it for Limestone County, in northern AL.

Selma: What I find interesting is that the names of slave owners are included as a column..which is extremely helpful but why..

AYWalton: found some of my Giles County TN folks who crossed the line for a brief time.

Selma: but why is it necessary..

vkn: It is very helpful

Seventies Soulchild: ok I found that with some Lanier's as well AYWalton.

Selma: were they still debating whether they would reimburse these folks for their lost property

AYWalton: oh Selma, don't forget to send me the link about the man who wanted to shoot all of those Negroes walking about. The one who asked permission.

alt: that sounds like a good reason Selma ... reimbursement

Selma: Ok.. Angela..after my nap.. LOL

vkn: AYW LOTS of USCT were discharged in Madison/Huntsville in fact there remains a village there today with the original row type houses

AYWalton: now that is interesting! I wonder if there was a camp--contraband camp in that area. that is interesting!

vkn: Then there are the two colleges

Selma: On that roll with the Census for Huntsville Alabama..were lists of bounty claims by USCT

alt: seems as if the US Gov't went out of the way to make things right for the confederacy from a monetary point of view after the CW.

Seventies Soulchild: oops look at the time. See y'all later.

vkn: It is a current tourist attraction

Selma: I think that reimbursement question is a good one for David Patterson or Eric Foner, I have been thinking of emailing Foner He is still alive isn't he

vkn: yes

AYWalton: well I had better run, folks. Have a great day!

alt: are the Southern Claims Commission records all post CW?

vkn: I think so alt

Selma: Well folks time for me to go.. Have a great day

alt: okay Hopalong

vkn: okies take all care me too

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy