Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-05-11 Youth Project ProfDru

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:05:47
End: 13:31:25
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, daviss, di, fierybug08, Ingrid_Doweary, jhonora, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

alt: I was reading the tail end of yesterday's chat.... a newcomer came in? and I see you've expanded your research areas.

di: and yeah i am trying to search more lines to see what else is available. different families=different documents . yeah the nicole person was in chat last night

daviss: so you are expanding your areas huh di!

Selma: Afternoon everyone

alt: Yeah di, working multiple family lines is great when you hit a roadblock on one line, you can then transfer your energy to another line..... works for me :))

Selma: Works for me too alt..

di: yeah i have been looking at my mothers dead ends and the same lines for a decade now. i thought it time. and hey i have a year to exhaust my ancestry and footnote! (7mo left!)

Selma: Or if I get stuck on everything…I look at other folks stuff

di: same here selma.

daviss: lol same here selma

alt: often times we need to get away from one line... and let the information we've gathered 'digest' LOL

Selma: There is something interesting to find everywhere

AYWalton: good afternoon all. howdy alt, daviss, di, Ms. Selma!!

di: i have about 20 trees on ancestry i am working...lol

AYWalton: hope everyone is well.

jhonora: Hello alt, Selma, daviss, di!

alt: always Selma.... and often that other 'stuff' opens our eyes to things we've overlooked in our narrowed vision. Hey guy, why aren't you in school? LOL

di: yes alt digestion is good!!!! and sometimes it looks brand new when you are frustrated on a different line!

daviss: the one answer to a post from yesterday I see where the young man said that he doubted that his grandfather would have been forty when he had his dad. I thought that my Uncle Shug would have disputed that comment lol

alt: yeah daviss, I saw that .... my father was 41 when I was born....

daviss: your dad and my uncle are only a drop in the bucket lol lol

Selma: Angela...did you look at the Fort Sill images?

alt: that's for sure daviss

jhonora: I start working at the Archives on the 23rd so squeezing in as much research as possible.

Selma: That is your summer job..good for you jhonora

alt: you mean you're out of school for the summer jhonora?

AYWalton: I was looking at some of them!! Amazing that they were in Virginia records! Selma that proves that one really has to look through pages from everywhere.

daviss: Fort Sill wow its been years since I heard that name. I visited there in the late 60's

Selma: AY, AY, AY..you should know you can find something anywhere

alt: especially in va lol lol lol

Selma: I have been going thru each reel..up to reel 49(of 203)..they average around 1000 images

AYWalton: quite true!!!!!

Selma: I look at about every 50 or so..just to see what is there..

AYWalton: that might make a good workshop one of these days, for sure.

Selma: These are reports from Fort Sill to the Bureau in Missouri?

alt: do you have a microfilm reader at home Selma?

daviss: Selma so you have a reader

Selma: No I am looking at RG 105 on line...DO I have to stand on a BOX and Tell folks to please just look.. LOL

AYWalton: I think you better get that box ready, Selma!

alt: Oops.... on-line , huh?

Selma: Found a letter from a man nowliving in Ontario Canada, lookining for hisfamily in NC or DC

AYWalton: tihngs like that need to be posted.

Selma: Gonna post that for Lisa and the Reconstruction Forum

alt: interesting.. was he writing to a FB field agency from Canada?

Selma: http://tinyurl.com/5r3l7e5

alt: AYWalton, how long will you be in Indy?

Selma: AY..how was the Arkansas event

AYWalton: it was wonderful! I attended the dedication of the home-----had to sit with the family, no less. And stood at the steps with the family for the ribbon cutting.

Selma: You mean the slave owning family

AYWalton: and drank a mint julip on the porch out of the silver goblets! 200 years ago my folks were pouring the mint julips. and yes----this is the slave owning family descendants.

Selma: Lordy, lordy, you didn't start singing Dixie.. LOL

AYWalton: lol puleeze!!! Naw I was still signing Nobody knows.........

Selma: Thats my girl.. LOL

alt: 'wish I was back in the land of cotton' LOL

jhonora: I attended the annual member dinner and auction of the La. Hist. Soc. yest., we meet in the club where my g-g-uncle was Chief Steward back in the 1890s and 1900s.

AYWalton: AND----the good part is that my ancestor Patrick, who is the only slave buried in the Drennen family plot----the family agrees that he should get a marker on his grave! after 153 years Patrick's name will be placed over his gravesite. to me that made it worthwhile.

jhonora: that is great!

ProfDru: Hello gang

Selma: Written by a man born in Ohio alt.

daviss: that is wonderful AYWalton!!

Selma: I agree alt.

alt: and you were there without a towel draped over your arm jhonora.... wonderful!!!

AYWalton: Everybody knew who I was, of course---being the only person of color on there.

jhonora: Actually, he came to mind all evening, like he does many times I go to meetings there. He had a college-degree.

Selma: You really think so AY..LOL

AYWalton: oh yes---folks would come up to me---from the chancellor to the dean to provost, "oh you must be Angela". they were truly expecting me, that's for sure.

jhonora: They had a pre-arrival conference to brief everybody lol

alt: that must give you a great feeling jhonora... telling your g-g-uncle to look at you and how far the family has come.

AYWalton: lol, you might be right, jhonora! I met just about everybody, and then they had me sit with "the family". I could hear my ancestors saying, "Lawd hab mercy, look where they are puttin' that chile!"

Selma: and saying "sit up straight chile"... LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon all!

alt: mind yo manners :))

Seventies Soulchild: Happy Birthday alt!

AYWalton: but the event was actually very nice and the chancellor mentioned that the history of the home would reflect EVERYONE who lived there, including the slaves who once worked there. so it went well. howdy Soul

alt: Hello Dru & Seventies Soulchildr

AYWalton: ProfDru---how was class last night.

Selma: Good for him AY

ProfDru: My youth genealogy project is going well. The kids were trained in how to conduct interviews last night and will given digital recorders (to borrow) for use in the project. They had the wide-eyed Christmas day look when they received the recorders. lol

Seventies Soulchild: hey alt, AYWalton, daviss :) di, jhonora, ProfDru, and Selma

alt: thanks Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: I bet they did, ProfDru!!!

ProfDru: Can't wait to hear what they learn through these interviews.

AYWalton: you are breaking new ground ProfDru with your class!

alt: wonderful ProfDru, do you have a list of questions you would like for each of them to ask, or are you gonna let them 'wing-it'?

Selma: Your project is going so well...you set the tone Dru,and placed the Bar high

daviss: where did all of the recorders come from Dru, were they donated ?

ProfDru: On another note, the director of a historic house in my community read my blog posting about the youth/church research project. She said she had been thinking about having exhibits at the historic house on local churches and asked if I would be Curator for project.

Seventies Soulchild: That's awesome ProfDru! So you're still working on the James Fields project ProfDru?

ProfDru: I did not teach that session, but they were given some examples, but are expected to come up with their own.

alt: wonderful ProfDru, you're stepping up to plate in your community.... Kudos, congratulations & BIG props to ya.

AYWalton: I think that is fantastic!!

ProfDru: No, the city agency I'm working with purchased the recorders for use in this project.

AYWalton: she is becoming a real pioneer!

ProfDru: Yes, I'm still working on James Fields project, but the one I mentioned today is not related to Mr. Fields.

Seventies Soulchild: How was chat last night? I missed. Was watching Black in Latin America.

ProfDru: thanks alt

alt: that's great ProfDru & you'll be blessed many times over for your actions.

AYWalton: are these digital recorders?

Selma: It was ok seventies..the Red River Texas researcher came...how was the Gates show

ProfDru: I am hoping to assist in developing some programs with the Fields house which will generate grants.

Seventies Soulchild: Didn't like the final episode...

AYWalton: Girl you are indeed breaking new grounds.

jhonora: Just to let y'all know, the priest with whom I intended to co-author the hist. of my org. (I've talked about before) quit, so now I am the sole author. Wasn't expecting that!

Seventies Soulchild: Culturally there are Africans in the nation, but they don't look anything like the other Afro-Latino population.

alt: Hang in there jhonora, it's a 'work' meant for you.

ProfDru: sorry to hear that jari; how far along were you with the project?

Selma: Priest's can quit projects.. LOL In which Nation seventies

AYWalton: Well you just go ahead with it, Jhonora!

Seventies Soulchild: In Mexico Selma.

AYWalton: you can handle it.

jhonora: He had done some decent compiling, but no writing. I have done writing. I wanted another set of eyes through the process, even if they were lazy eyes

Seventies Soulchild: I also felt some guilt. They were showing Blacks in Peru who were out picking cotton in the fields. they pick for $5 a day, 100 lbs per picker...

AYWalton: Soulchile was this the Costa Chica population you are talking about?

alt: These types of efforts are what 'Cynthia' was writing about in her latest post to the AfriGeneas States Forum.

Seventies Soulchild: They featured Costa Chica

AYWalton: ahh ok, that is Bobby Vaughn's folks. he has worked with the Costa Chica population for some time.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Bobby Vaughn wasn't featured, which was a shame.

AYWalton: You said that they don't look like other Afro Latino folks?

alt: Why would you feel ashamed Seventies Soulchild?

AYWalton: you mean mixed? I think she meant it was a shame, that Bobby Vaughn was not featured.

alt: or rather 'guilt'

Seventies Soulchild: Well I had a friend who was doing business in the country with t-shirts and you know I purchased a few in support of the business. But they get paid so poorly... I think that was the first time I ever really thought about where my clothes came from.

alt: oh, okay

AYWalton: I would rather send funds to support something like a school in that area.

Selma: That is the case all over the world seventies...

Seventies Soulchild: Mexican 'blacks' look more Mexican than black. The majority of them

AYWalton: Well maybe those around Vera Cruz, but Costa Chica folks look like us. Like folks from the hood.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes they do look more like us. But it explains some of the darker curly haired Mexicans

alt: How many generations are these folks removed from their African ancestored lineages?

Seventies Soulchild: Oh these were some of the first Africans in the New World. the 15th Century

Selma: When did slavery end in Mexico

Seventies Soulchild: 1830

AYWalton: As I understand the Costa Chica folks consider themselves Mexican first.

alt: and what has been the 'inlux' of Africans into those populations since the 15th Century?

AYWalton: Plus they are not in touch with other Afro-Mexicanos. They are isolated.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, however in the film they are fighting for their African identity to be placed on the census. well about half of all imported Africans came to Mexico

alt: huh?

Seventies Soulchild: And it was a stop on the Underground railroad. huh to what?

AYWalton: I am never certain of that, Soulchile

jhonora: Just like here, Indian ancestry was forgivable for lack of word. After so many generations of whitening, the terms ran out and though white-looking you were labeled negro again.

alt: 1/2 of ALL imported Africans ended up in Mexico

AYWalton: you might see routes that end up in Mexico, but the organized structure of UGRR was not really as such. Folks in Nacimiento and such places were always threatened by folks from Texas. and they had problems for many years.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes that's what Dr. Gates said and I've also read that at one time Mexico had the highest number of enslaved Africans in New Spain.

alt: hello fierybug08

AYWalton: I have been to Bracketville where many ended up in the 1870s after the war.

fierybug08: *full house* hello everyone. *virtual wave*

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, that wasn't mentioned in the documentary. But I think you've mentioned this in the past... which I found very interesting.

alt: New Spain.... think I need a picture of what that encompassed.... everything, but Old Spain.

AYWalton: Those who ended up in northern Mexico arrived not via any UGRR assistance. They were fleeing from head hunters in Indian Territory and they took themselves there.

jhonora: New Spain was one of the two viceroys in the New World

Seventies Soulchild: New Spain in the 1700's included FL, TX, Mexico and some of the far west states from New Mexico to CA It was a pretty extensive colony. Also, there were places in Louisiana, as jhonora mentioned, that were under Spanish control

alt: didn't it also include what we call Central America and parts if South America? .... New Spain

Seventies Soulchild: I think so, but honestly I'm not sure.

alt: I need help with this geography lesson... seriously

fierybug08: me too @ alt

AYWalton: You going to spend any time with the Josephite archives, jhonora?

Ingrid_Doweary: Hey Jhonora, Fierybug, Daviss,Seventies, AYWalton, ProfDru, Di, Alt and Selma

Seventies Soulchild: jhonora was saying something about the Spanish viceroy...

jhonora: Yes, AY, until the 23rd, when I start working at the Archives

AYWalton: wow----and where it is located, jhonora?

jhonora: I will work for the archdiocesan archives for the fourth year.

Ingrid_Doweary: Seventies, did you have a USCT ancestor with the Gardiner surname?

Seventies Soulchild: Ingrid_Doweary, it was Galmore/Galimore 5th USCT HA Something come up on your radar?

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay Seventies. Thought I had encountered someone sharing your ancestor.

AYWalton: I better run, folks. I have to move images around and get to a cemetery in No. Little Rock!

fierybug08: good, i started indexing a couple of days ago with FirstSearch

AYWalton: waving at VKN before I leave! and sending warm greetings from Arkansas! later, folks.

vkn: laters ayw

fierybug08: during the dc conference, they mentioned using the Southern Claims Commission for a source. I would love to see that indexed

Ingrid_Doweary: Which conference was that Fierbug?

alt: what's the word from NGS vkn? AfriGeneas on the case?

Ingrid_Doweary: van are you related to evpace?

vkn: Not that I know of Ingrid

Seventies Soulchild: Ingrid_Doweary, how is the training going?

vkn: We are in place alt

alt: wonderful... The 'Eagle' has landed LOL LOL

vkn: Booklets are looking good

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh okay. I saw her on this past Saturday at the Washington Family History Center conference in Kensington, MD. Saw Khathu also.

fierybug08: hi...Ingrid you were at the DC family conference? i was there too.

Ingrid_Doweary: Seventies, I received my certificate but now I'm preparing for my evaluation tour project later this month. Yes Fireybug, I was there also.

vkn: BJ will drive self not to arrive til 2morry will have additional handouts then etc etc etc etc

Seventies Soulchild: great Ingrid_Doweary!

Ingrid_Doweary: Fierybug which workshops did you attend?

daviss: will BJ work a table by herself vkn

alt: we all need to get & wear our AfriGeneas buttons when we attend these sessions....

Seventies Soulchild: BJ is coming out your way vkn?

fierybug08: virtual education (a snore), Intro to AA Research (great), indexing FirstSearch (okay), Federal Land Grant/Homestead Act Case Study (great)

vkn: Audrey Battiste and Bill Forsyth are working table

daviss: scratching my head on who was supposed to send me a button :?

Ingrid_Doweary: Yes, Alt. I saw a lady with her button and that's when I remembered that I have button and shirt also.

vkn: Seventies she is going to NGS in Charleston

Seventies Soulchild: ok I have got to go... future leaders to process into the Academy. lol

vkn: Maybe moi daviss

daviss: lol lol @ vkn

vkn: and a mug also and a bag

fierybug08: highlighters and stickers.

Ingrid_Doweary: I attended the Federal Land Grant/Homestead Act Case Study (great), the Native American Genealogy (good) and the Court Records (great). I also enjoyed and appreciated the Library of Congress presentation .

alt: to all... visit the AfriGeneas Shop.... We've got 'stuff' LOL LOL

vkn: true true true alt

fierybug08: yeah...LOC was great. for the most part it was excellent. much needed resource guides. i hope to put it all on my blog

daviss: who was the speaker for the NA gen session Ingrid?

Ingrid_Doweary: Margo Lee Williams, Daviss

alt: laters y'all,, honey-do time LOL LOL

daviss: thx Ingrid

vkn: daviss see log from last night

fierybug08: my internet is down at home so i haven't been able to start my blog.

daviss: ok vkn

Ingrid_Doweary: Oh sorry to hear that fierbug

fierybug08: well...it gives me more time to read. LOL

daviss: I am working on my Lingering Blog as we speak I should have it up sometime today then I need to work on my other blog ;)

Ingrid_Doweary: I look forward to reading it, Daviss

daviss: check in about an hr ingrid

fierybug08: *cheers for daviss* feel free to work on my introductory post...LOL

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, I need to begin contributing to my blog. period.

daviss: I have to look around for something for my Mariah Blog, that is the hard one lol

fierybug08: i went to the PBS Freedom Riders website and was very impressed

Ingrid_Doweary: Cheers to Daviss and Fierybug for building their blogs.

fierybug08: you too Ingrid! And for your work at NARA

daviss: I have had both of mine for awhile now ingrid

Ingrid_Doweary: What was it that struck you so?

fierybug08: every little bit helps they chose about 30 students and each one gives a short youtube video about what they hope to gain from the experience

daviss: its just that I have been a lil lazy lately

Ingrid_Doweary: Question was directed to Fierybug. Lazy or overwhelmed?

daviss: lazy

Ingrid_Doweary: Okay, you probably needed the rest.

daviss: I cannot wait for the film to air later this month fiery

fierybug08: for the first time, the student who lived 'privileged' lives began to acknowledge the inequalities. it's sad, but also good that this experience has made them wake up from their bubbles

Ingrid_Doweary: Was it the life changing experiences of the students you saw?

fierybug08: i think the biggest thing that my generation lacks is cultural and social awareness. we speak of being social activism from the civil rights movement, but our generation lacks motivation/awareness of it. we don't even know the history of it

daviss: thats why sites like AfriGeneas and others need to be put out there fierybug08 as I speak they are cutting out cultural studies in schools

fierybug08: it reminds me of my own social/cultural awakening. I once believed that we lived in a post-racial society- until college. One professor changed my perspective. One paper- examined how AA racial identity development and its effects of socialization @ daviss...it's so sad

daviss: what college did you attend fierybug08 was it a HBC

fierybug08: no...i have personal issues with HBCUs.

daviss: how so fiery

fierybug08: i had a friend who went to Morris Brown...during the time they were forced to close.

Ingrid_Doweary: What happened then?

fierybug08: They shut Morris Brown down because of a large deficit...mismanagement of funds

Ingrid_Doweary: Do you know anyone else who attended an HBCU?

fierybug08: Yeah…a lot more. I grew up in Metro Atlanta area. I had colleagues or friends of friends. But even in Atlanta there is division among AA.

Ingrid_Doweary: Well, if I may ask which institution did you attend college?

fierybug08: Again, its a generational issue. I know there were some great Alumni from the Civil Rights Era until until the mid 90s that graduated from Spelman & Morehouse

daviss: have a great day

fierybug08: me too. CY daviss

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy