Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-05-08 Record Group 105 & more

*SunMornBrnch

Start: 12:03:55
End: 13:23:39
Chatters: alt, AYWalton, David, Khathu, Selma, seventies soulchild, vkn

seventies soulchild: good morning alt. Happy Mother's Day.

alt: Happy Mother's Day to You seventies soulchild

seventies soulchild: Thank you. Did I just miss everyone?

alt: Not sure, I've been the only here until you came.

seventies soulchild: ok alt. I guess everyone is out with their families. My sons made breakfast for me this morning.

alt: wonderful....

seventies soulchild: yes I was surprised... :)

alt: they have more surprises in store for you I'm sure LOL

seventies soulchild: lol maybe... A clean room would be nice! lol lol

alt: no way, they love ya too much to send you into shock LOL

seventies soulchild: lol I spent some time this morning looking over the available 1890 census records. Fascinating! They have the most information of any censuses available. Too bad so many were destroyed.

alt: Happy mother's day to all the afrigeneas mothers.

seventies soulchild: geez I got kicked out!

alt: I didn't do it 1890 census, I've never really looked at them that I can remember.

seventies soulchild: I looked at the Alabama extract that they had available. They have an 1890 census extract for Ohio.. not sure of what coutnies were saved. On ancestry

alt: they... this is ancestry.com?

seventies soulchild: yes Hello AYWalton!

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

seventies soulchild: Happy Mother's Day.

alt: okay.. I've glanced at what is available.. don't think there was anything for counties I was researching at that time... perhaps a review of what is there might be worthwhile.

AYWalton: Happy Mother's Day also to you SoulChile. I am here only for a few moments.

seventies soulchild: From time to time I like to go and see what specific census' are available when I get the time

AYWalton: In Arkansas, and about to go out with my niece. hope all is well with everyone.

seventies soulchild: Have a great time AYWalton. Be safe. No flooding out that way right?

AYWalton: in eastern Arkansas there is some. I am in western Arkansas. Flew over the Mississippi River and that is amazing. and waters still rising in that area. thanks, alt. Have you heard from Charles Brown of late?

seventies soulchild: Yes my aunts who live in Natchez says that its already flooding at 54 ft supposed to crest at 56 ft.

alt: No I haven't AYWalton

AYWalton: Neither have I. I will have to send him a hello message. that flooding is really serious.

alt: is most of the flooding below St. Louis?

seventies soulchild: yes I've checked on everyone from Memphis down to Natchez Everyone I know

AYWalton: even that area. Remember they had to break a levee to save the town of Cairo Illinois. That is above St. Louis. Hello David.

David: Hello everyone!

seventies soulchild: Is this your first time in Afrigeneas chat, David?

David: No, you may know my alter ego, the typographically-inclined "Davis" (not to be confused with Daviss who is someone else)

AYWalton: lol

seventies soulchild: OH Hey! :D Where have you been? Its been some time since we've seen you here good morning Khathu, Happy Mother's day!

Khathu: Hello everyone and Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers

AYWalton: hello Khathu!! greetings from Arkansas. khathu did you go to the Kensington program?

Khathu: I just went to support Robyn then I left

David: Hello Khathu!

Khathu: I wasn't impressed with the sessions anyway

AYWalton: I understand.

alt: I see Shamele and her group (GSP) doing a webinar on 'applying for First Families of Pennsylvania.

AYWalton: Shamele was presenting at the Baltimore library yesterday as well. I saw something about that as well. Howdy Ms. Selma! Happy Mother's Day!!!

seventies soulchild: Hello Selma and Happy Mother's Day!

alt: are Lineage Societies coming into "vogue" with AA's?

Selma: Good Sunday morning everyone...and Happy Mother's Day

AYWalton: Niece is dressed and ready, so I have to run. Take care everyone!

Khathu: In addition, i think people should stop offering AA Genealogy course or sessions for beginners

alt: Hello Selma, Happy Mother's Day

seventies soulchild: lol alt, not for this African-American

Khathu: because until one hit 1870s it is basically the same

seventies soulchild: well there has to be a gimmick Khathu...

Khathu: but it sest too many of us up

seventies soulchild: Money is money

alt: I agree 'basically', but I see so many other differences in segregated records, annotations, etc. so there are differences.

David: Khathu, I tend to agree that our focus should be where specialization counts: back from 1870

Selma: Yes..but the basic process is the same

David: Khathu what do you mean sets too many of us up

alt: and genealogical methodologies/techniques may vary regionally for AA's as well for all periods.

Khathu: For example there was a beginner session yesterday and the bulk of us was tending the session when there were other session which would have been much more beneficial to them i.e. sessions focusing on specific record sets, maps, oral history, etc.

seventies soulchild: ah okay

Selma: But to tell you the truth..most or I should say many of those I have met, themselves like to think it is different

alt: In 'today's genealogy world with the availability of online records it isn't too difficult to get back to 1870.... compared to say 15-20 years ago.

David: Alt, those topics become "differences" seminars vice an entire segregated methodology -- but I also think the mainstream genealogists could learn something from us that might open their world-view also.

alt: No doubt David

Selma: Actually the most recent VGS journal had an article, where the researcher, used, slave records to correct and confirm the white family relationship

David: Alt, truly it is amazing how much of what I searched on microfilm or in distant archives is now online. Selma, yes, they don't realize what they have been missing by ignoring half their legacy and history.

Khathu: Are they really slave records or just probate and court records?

Selma: Well these were wills... I should not have said slave records..

Khathu: I do believe that AA researchers are the most skilled researchers because we have to become experts in both our own families and other (white) families

alt: that's what I'm talking about David.... even county genealogy societies are now putting their stuff online whereas before they published and sold the information in 'books & articles.

Khathu: We need to know as much about the slave holding as our own family

David: Alt, I think a lot about what records are least likely to be online in usable form in our lifetimes, or at least in the next 10 years -- where does archival research make most sense as return on investment in time

Selma: Well I say we talk a wider view..cause for us..we have to know everything we did or didn't want to know about the slave owning families.

David: I think the records we use the most -- probate and deed records -- have great potential since they are massive and digitizing them as text is unlikely in the near future. Digitizing as images is more likely near term

seventies soulchild: I truly wish that more wills were available online.

Selma: I wish the rest of FB RG 105 (except Texas)...was now online

alt: I attended a CW seminar yesterday and was Pi**ed that they didn't speak of slavery from the "Chattel" aspect and the generations of AA's affected.. it's like slavery was in a sanp shot and only dealt with those who were enslaved at the time of the CW.

seventies soulchild: So I think I'm still going to go to Mississippi, even though my family reunion has been effectively been cancelled. I really want to get at those Wilkinson County records.

alt: and that we could still have a 'divided' nation if not for the CW.

Khathu: The Texas records are online?

Selma: No...I just meant..you always say that the Texas records in RG 105 are not as extensive

seventies soulchild: I will post as much as I can, but they will not be transcribed.

David: Selma, yes! There are still a few gems not microfilms, including lists of people who were transported at government expense to different parts of the county. And the next we need RG 292, the Reconstruction-era Military District records.

alt: Seventies soulchild, I would encourage anyone who can get to the records in the county court hosues where their ancestors resided and are recorded to do so, even if the data is online.

Khathu: They provide information on the conditions and struggles of AA after the CW however there is very little genealogical information

seventies soulchild: Also Wilkinson County has two big books titled "Plantations" which house the deed and records information for the plantations in the county. Another thing I've been itching to get my hands on.

Selma: Haven't looked at those David...

seventies soulchild: For me these projects take time and I have to plan my life around them.

Selma: You mean you have another life seventies.. LOL

alt: Yes, I know time, distance and finances are all to be considered seventies soulchild

seventies soulchild: LOL Selma I have a two life minimum! Thank goodness my children are now in their teens.

alt: My point.. to not rely on what is available online or thru inter-library loan, but an in-person, in-house research if at all possible.

seventies soulchild: Right, I have come to appreciate that time and those records alt. So much more information than either. Ain't nothing like the originals.

Selma: I am hoping that some of these places will do what Southampton County VA did which is digitize everything (or just about everything) in the court house..but that was started by one person..who got folks involved

Khathu: Alright…i am about to get on the road. ladies enjoy your special day.

Selma: Thank you Khathu

alt: Even more than 'originals' it's the thrill of touching the books in the place where your ancestors were recorded during their lifetime.

seventies soulchild: Mississippi is soooo behind on that, Selma. they need help badly especially when it comes to African-American records.

Selma: Got the clerk of the court to agree..took his camera..and went for it

seventies soulchild: I don't know how Ed Adams did it. Because when I say there is a TON of records in the Adams co. courts... whoo. I was overwhelmed when I first went. And that is even AFTER the courthouse burned down.

alt: This is like a broken reocrd seventies soulchild, but there aren't necessarily AA records, but records in which AA's are recorded.

seventies soulchild: right alt.

alt: Happy Mother's Day to the mother of AfriGeneas!!!!! hello vkn

seventies soulchild: Happy Mother's Day vkn!

vkn: happy backatcha

Selma: Happy Mother's Day

David: Happy MD, VKN! Selma, record I mentioned are RG 105, E.175, Box13 (Requests for Transportations) I went to DC one time specifically to see and copy them, but the Archives staff said the box had been missing a long time because there was dust on the shelf. Long story short, I emailed a certain well-known archivist asking if he had any idea where the box might be, and magically it was back on the shelf next time I went to DC. VKN, I am taking a break from our project!

seventies soulchild: LOL David that is magic! LOL

vkn: Barnetta extracted the transportation records

David: What! where are they?

Selma: Think she did NC ones vkn

alt: David, when you search those type of records at the Archives... are you looking for specific individuals, or locations?

vkn: She published them i have a copy i think

David: OK, OK, I copied all the Georgia ones, to-and-from (the only ones that matter!)

Selma: I have a copy vkn..

David: Putting them online is another of my undone projects

vkn: Maybe she only did NC peeps and the states they were transported

alt: I guess I'm asking is Archival research more from a 'macro' aspect.

Selma: Yes..vkn..to Texas and other places

David: Alt, Locations, because my project embraces everyone who ever touched Upson County GA in the 1800s, especially AA

alt: Okay, and then you might 'filter' down to locating specific individuals.. or at least those that you might have other record type for.

seventies soulchild: OK I have to get going. Everyone enjoy their Mother's Day.

Selma: You too seventies David..got another auction catalog..think I noticed some more Upson GA records

David: Alt, I would say that the kinds of records in the NARA like Freedmen's Bureau and Military Reconstruction are macro, because you would be disappointed if you went there to find only specific persons. The thrill is discovering people you didn't know about, or people you did know about doing things you didn't know!

alt: as you can tell I haven't done too much research in large Archives or repositories....except for specific people who I know may be in those records.

Selma: I agree David...it is overwhelming what is contained

David: Selma, I'm reaching for my nausea pills -- unfortunately that damage will never end. I'd be interested to see anyway , is the vendor also online?

Selma: Let me check...

alt: oh, I understand the thrill of finding the unexpected even at the smaller local levels.

Selma: I even saw something for 2 brothers in Arkansas..sent to Angela vkn.. There is an article in today's Washington Post on Freedom Riders, there is a picture of Georgia Calhoun from Anniston

vkn: wow selma ahhhhh actually Georgia is fromm Choccolocco lol we call her the mayor

alt: oh 2 names at the Seminar I attended yesterday,,, new heroes.... Fergus Bordewich & Nicole Etcheson. if you get a chance google them..

vkn: will do

Selma: Just wrote the names down alt David..I gotta find the catalog.. I need a maid.. Oops found it Cohasco, inc

vkn: Selma Georgia is an Underwood from TN who is not having the best research results

David: Selma, I actually got one auction house to send me a free Xerox copy of a stolen Upson County probate record, but I had to make a legal agreement (interesting that they had this form ready-made) that I would not use the copy for purposes of "replevin" -- which is a legal action to recover the property for its rightful owner, namely the county archives.

alt: Now that is interesting David.

David: Cohasco is the group that made me agree not to "replevin" the government records

Selma: Is just not finding records vkn?

alt: Underwood... send her to Ohio pre-civil war vkn.... from Underwoods from NC & TN migrated into west central Ohio.... Darke & Champaign county to name just 2. Census records on ancestry .... Underwood, Ohio & non-white, but there are white Underwoods also, may be possible connections.

Selma: Could they be using another surname vkn?

vkn: okies alt will do Georgia maternal id Baldwin Cnty AL then to Calhoun County where she works feverishly to preserve all things Choccolocco

alt: is that right vkn, Calhoun Co.... that's Embry, Hall, Phillips turf LOL

vkn: Could be selma I have not looked at her research recently. With all the new search capabilities it is worth an updating search, that is right alt that is a primary county for my maternal Bell Hendrix Borders Smith

alt: I remember vkn...Embry's and other's ... Lincoln, Pell City, Hobson city, Anniston , etc.

vkn: absolutely with Hobson being one of the first Black towns in the Nation

alt: Gotta run y'all.... Anita just informed that she is being taken out to dinner

Selma: Good for Nita.. Time for me to run too folks..have a great day.

vkn: Are you going out to dinner selma David are you taking Judy

Selma: Went out yesterday..just lounging around today

vkn: I went to breakfast and ate too much

Selma: LOL Have a great day

vkn: How goes the project you are breaking from David

David: I'd better get back to it!

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy