Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-17 Thursday LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:03:16
End: 14:21:31
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, lisa clark, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

AYWalton: hey there birthday girl!!!!!!! I hope you had a great birthday yesterday, Ms. Daviss!

daviss: hello there AYWalton

AYWalton: how are you this fine morning.

daviss: The kids took me to the zoo for my b-day lol

AYWalton: what do the Irish folks say on St. Patrick's Day? Tip of the morning to ya! or something like that. Well did you have fun at the zoo?

daviss: lol top o the morning

AYWalton: top of the morning. lol well I knew it had something to do with the morning! lol

daviss: listen I think that was what they wanted and I was just the excuse lol

AYWalton: That is so funny!! well I am sure it was nice just to spend the time with them, anyway.

daviss: my daughter has a years subscription and they could go everyday if they could

AYWalton: oh wow---I guess they really like the zoo, huh?

daviss: al I could say was feet don't fail me lo

AYWalton: I kind of find zoos to be sad especially seeing the large cats in cages. large animals belong outside in a natural surrounding.

daviss: no cages here

AYWalton: oh really? Well that sounds much better, then. I think of the old time zoos with a big cat in a small cage. Always seemed so sad.

daviss: yes

AYWalton: so what is going on with you? Anything new? hi 3rd

3rdthawkins: hey AY and daviss

daviss: nothing new with me. just chugging right along I guess lol hello 3rd

AYWalton: well that's a good thing.

daviss: I hate the way Ancestry oops

3rdthawkins: I guess I can celebrate today.....????

daviss: I hate the way Ancestry has its new format

3rdthawkins: hey alt

AYWalton: is this something new? I always go back to the old search page.

alt: hello 3rdthawkins, AYWalton & daviss

3rdthawkins: yeah, I hate their changes

AYWalton: howdy alt!!!

3rdthawkins: or at least, annoyed by them

AYWalton: the old search page is what I use.

daviss: plus the Landing is no where near the way it used to be. If I plug in Marshall Texas it gives me everyone and its mother

AYWalton: switch back to the old search format.

daviss: look and see if you can get the old search page, I cant heyyy alt!

AYWalton: it is usually a small link over to the right somewhere. Sometimes I have to really look for it.

daviss: I know but I dont see it

AYWalton: it is hard to find for sure.

3rdthawkins: usually when you on the search results page daviss, it will be there

AYWalton: Alt how are you doing? Feeling better?

3rdthawkins: oh darn, looks like they moved it

alt: yeah daviss, from the Home Page click the Search button at the top of the page. much better AYWalton & you?

daviss: sheesh, thanks alt

3rdthawkins: alt beat me to the punch daviss, click the search button, and on the right it says Go to Old Search

AYWalton: Today I feel better. Have had several rough days with excessive coughing. Sides were sore and all. Today I am better, I think.

alt: and then on the top right as AYWalton says, there is the link for old/new search

3rdthawkins: good to hear AY, thinking I got a cold from my nephew, so trying to fight it off

daviss: ok so now I will put my soapbox away

AYWalton: colds are not fun at all. did you find the link, daviss?

3rdthawkins: nuh uh, they're not

alt: I feel for ya AYWalton, I was miserable for a couple of weeks and I still have some slight coughing spells.

daviss: ok now next question. on the one with the AA filter, can you get the old search also

AYWalton: I have found that Mucinex has helped get rid of the crud as well. And today is spring like and I might actually go and get some fresh air.

daviss: dang alt, you gotta get that out of your system

3rdthawkins: does the AA filter really works, because it seems they still show whites in the results

daviss: I like the old search but also like to go other routes when searching. Especially when I can't find anything Hopes that something new will pop up

alt: dunno , the AA search has seemed to be 'screwed up' for quite somtime.

3rdthawkins: hey Selma

AYWalton: daviss, sometimes I find that the old page by page search is better. On Ancestry, occasionally a name is indexed incorrectly, and you won't see it to click on it---whereas a page by page search often brings up the folks you might be looking for.

daviss: Its as if they got rid of it

Selma: Good thursday afternoon folks

daviss: I agree AYWalton with that assessment but you know I am trying everything I can lol hello Selma

alt: hello Selma, how you be today. got on your Green? LOL

AYWalton: I understand.

Selma: Actually I do have something green on, but just cause it was the first thing I grabbed.. LOL

daviss: lol alt, I know you should have on yours Selma did you make all your meetings yesterday

AYWalton: Hey SoulChile!

Seventies Soulchild: hi all!

alt: Hello Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: hi 3rd, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Selma

3rdthawkins: hey Seventies

daviss: oh Selma, I put up a blog on that CC Somerville that I was inquiring about sometime ago. I never found the newspaper though

AYWalton: Hope you are having a nice day SoulChile. and have spring like weather.

Seventies Soulchild: alt, I was up early this morning thinking about you while I was looking up some items on ancestry...

Selma: Yes, I did daviss..and had to come home and sit in a chair with my feet up for about and hour...

Seventies Soulchild: Weather is just fine AYWalton.. no coat today, just sweaters

alt: oh, oh, Seventies Soulchild, what have I done now that you were thinking about me LOL

daviss: hello seventies

AYWalton: sounds good. Spring like here for a change.

Seventies Soulchild: lol I was looking for some information on daniel henyard and there was one that served in the 5th USCT Infantry. :)

AYWalton: that's good, SoulChile.

alt: ah so, the 5th

Selma: AY you going back to NARA anytime soon

Seventies Soulchild: yea alt. I didn't know that there was a 5th Inf AND 5th HA So I read up a little on the 5th Inf alt.

AYWalton: eventually, SoulChile.

alt: yep Seventies Soulchild and that can be confusing

daviss: dang alt, now I cant copy and paste

Seventies Soulchild: You had mentioned a few months ago.

alt: Oops. it's contagious daviss

Seventies Soulchild: Pretty interesting history.

Selma: What is HA

Seventies Soulchild: Heavy Artillery

Selma: OK

Seventies Soulchild: And continuing with the 5th Ser Boxley has put out an icon he's proposing for the MS state specialized license plates

alt: I saw that Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: Its a great design, from a flag presented to the 5th HA Co. C

daviss: oh well, so much for that..wonder what the heck is going on.. Now I cant help anybody lol :? :?

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: I know daviss, not being able to copy & paste is a bummer

Seventies Soulchild: BTW the Daniel Henyard was from Ohio and according to his service card he was wounded and then later died in battle. No relation as far as I can tell, to my Henyards in MS Did you try to right click and select copy vs trying to do ctrl + C daviss?

alt: didin't we talk about the "Henyard's" beofre Seventies Soulchild, weren't they also found in Michigan?

daviss: ctr c and v seventies no go

Seventies Soulchild: I'm not so sure alt... I did find a high concentration in MS & LA, which I'm sure those are mine. I also found a few on the east coast using the ancestry surname mapping thingie Yes daviss. Then try to highlight and right click to copy...

daviss: it wont work seven

alt: I thought we found some Henyard's in MI & Canada in the census sometime around 1850-1860 Seventies Soulchild AA Henyard's

daviss: oh I got another match via email this morning from FTDNA

Seventies Soulchild: I don't recall that conversation.

AYWalton: another high or low resolution, daviss?

daviss: both

Seventies Soulchild: Hello vkn

AYWalton: Greetings, vkn!

alt: hello vkn

vkn: howdy to each and all

Seventies Soulchild: alt I'm going to have to look into that...

daviss: whoever this is said their line started in TN

alt: guess that means more AA's are using FTDNA daviss

daviss: I dont know what they are alt lol'

vkn: Congrats daviss

daviss: hello vkn should I ask them

Seventies Soulchild: details daviss. with whom?

AYWalton: a cousin, daviss!! lol

alt: do they match on one of your 'known' surnames daviss?, what is the Haplogroup?

AYWalton: no matter what they are.

daviss: I dont know anything seventies I just got the email no surnames alt just the hap LOa1

Seventies Soulchild: Do they at least give you an area of the country that this match is located in?

vkn: alt and daviss is your java updated?

alt: go to you FTDNA page and look at the mtDNA matches daviss, there shoukd be a name with a contact point

daviss: whoever this is said their line started in TN

Seventies Soulchild: For you daviss. http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/discussion/gifs/L0a1_gif.htm is this your maternal or paternal line the results are from daviss?

daviss: They email stated the name and said that their line started in Tn. They gave the surnames but none that I know of

alt: I think so vkn, last week I uninstalled all Java updates and reinstalled the latest version.

daviss: thanks seventies their surnames are Pittman and White

AYWalton: wb Selma!

Selma: thanks..trying to do 5 things at once is NOT a good idea

daviss: maternal seventies

AYWalton: lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

vkn: howdy selma

AYWalton: multi-taskers R us!

daviss: gee seventies my brain is not that sharp

Seventies Soulchild: lol sorry to hear that! lol

alt: just received the latest Ohio Genealogy News from OGS... the whole issue is about Ohio CW Genealogy resources

vkn: you are a champ multitasker AYW

daviss: yes to your question vkn about java now I can copy and paste from our chat as in yes to your question vkn about java

AYWalton: thanks vkn, but sometimes I am not so sure. lol

daviss: but when I go outside I cant make sense lol

alt: nice article on Tim, Debbie & Shamele appearing at the upcoming OGS conference in the issue.

Selma: Ok just completed 1..now down to 4

AYWalton: when is OGS conference Alt?

alt: 31 mar- 2 Apr in columbus, Ohio www.ogs.org & Conference booklet

daviss: vkn it took me two mins to find the posters grandmother this morning. No needle in the haystack lol

AYWalton: the three of them are great!

vkn: You are a sharpie daviss

daviss: I was just trying to figure out how they missed it

alt: don't think they knew where, or how, to look for them daviss

3rdthawkins: hey vkn

daviss: I guess alt

vkn: howedy 3rd did you connect with Sean ?

alt: WDYTYA, Essence magazine, and the Ancestry commericials are going to send a 'flood' of similar postings to AfriGeneas... bet on it.

Selma: BRB

daviss: what is the percentage of new hits since the article vkn

vkn: LOTS lol

AYWalton: hope it is not too overwhelming, vkn.

alt: don't get me wrong .... that is good, the more AA's involved in genealogy & family history the better.

daviss: thats good to hear hit wise

vkn: unintended and not planned for consequences are overwhelming

3rdthawkins: no vkn, still trying to help, will email them today possibly, they may need to find a private investigator

alt: I can believe that vkn

3rdthawkins: this cannot be done online over the internet

Seventies Soulchild: Well the universe has made a way for you to step up the game. . .

vkn: I hear ya 3rd

alt: notice how some of the 'newer' posters lead one to think that AfriGeneas is a Finder type operation?

Seventies Soulchild: Wasn't this the kind of exposures Afrigeneas has been looking for?

daviss: I would say so alt

vkn: yes indeedy seventies

Selma: Yes...I think for some folks alt..."finding living folks" You know I try to limit myself to folks no longer here.. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma

AYWalton: I hear ya Selma!!!

3rdthawkins: could there be a forum on Afrigeneas for that? of course, you have to have someone who's expertise is in that arena......Ancestry.com has a message board for that

Selma: I have a large and nutso family that I already know..

Seventies Soulchild: lol lol lol

AYWalton: I have a few cousins in that category, too, Selma! lol

alt: read an article about online genealogy from the RootsTech conference in SLC... 'it ain't all online ... yet' ... they talked about if it isn't online now it will be in the future, or information will be online on how and where to go to find it.

3rdthawkins: but as AYwalton stated before, you have to be careful because issues in families and the reasons why they separate and no longer in contact. Have to consider the issues in the family

daviss: thats exactly what we discussed the other day in chat.

Selma: I think we need to refer folks elsewhere..

3rdthawkins: I think that's were the "expert" on finding living relatives come in

Selma: But we can do it nicely...

AYWalton: brb

alt: vkn can do it 'nicely' Selma... ever notice how vkn can nicely tell you what you don't want to hear LOL LOL LOL

vkn: alt, stop lol lol

daviss: oh vkn, I just say the ad on Discuss forum for W P Carey School of Business at ASU. Thats where my granddaughter just got accepted lol

vkn: YEAHHHHHHHHH daviss

Selma: Congrats daviss

alt: wonderful daviss, small world, huh & congrats to granddaughter!!!

Seventies Soulchild: Awesome daviss!

Selma: Yes, vkn is very diplomatic

daviss: thanks ya'all

alt: Selma, vkn has tha 'old school' charm on how to tell folks where to go LOL LOL

daviss: lol @ alt

alt: and how to get there LOL

Selma: and they don't know they have left..till they get there.. LOL

vkn: you be too much marse alt

daviss: hahahahaha@ Sel

ProfDru: howdy gang

daviss: hello ProfDru

Seventies Soulchild: hey ProfDru

alt: hello ProfDru

vkn: howdy profdru

ProfDru: For those of you who have looked at cw pension files, have you ever read in the depositions where the witnesses say that their names were forged?

Selma: Dru the lecture at the Hampton History Musum was Inside the Crab Factory..Crab PIckers tell th Their story.

alt: vkn, looks like Tim's Newspaper Forum is a hit before it is even opened up.

Selma: They had a packed house I think we should invite them to our meeting

ProfDru: when was that, selma?

Selma: Yesterday at noon

ProfDru: sounds good selma

Selma: I missed..but heard it was great

daviss: I can't answer that ProfDru.

ProfDru: alt and soulchile?

Selma: Their names were forged to the depositions?

alt: me neither Drun on the 'forgery' thing with pension records

vkn: Yes alt I was looking at the archive of messages from the past to now and newspaper messages rank in the top 1/4

ProfDru: yes selma

alt: is that right vkn, WOW!!!!!

Selma: Read a deposition of a man who said he was told he had to "enlist"..this was over in POrtsmouth

ProfDru: I suspect the attorney and notary public had something to do with it. adds a bit of drama to this case.

Selma: So they had to give another "deposition" which said the first one was forged

alt: was there money involved in the number of recruits from any given area by local 'officals'

Selma: I was thinking the same thing alt..."money".."fees" for collectiong depositions

ProfDru: The attorney, I suspect, was just looking at collecting his fee. Madison Lewis had talked to these two comrades about being witnesses. They didn't show up when he applied, but Madison mentioned their names. The attorney claimed to know the two men. I believe one of men denied know the attorney.

Selma: Oh that was for me alt...the answer in this instance was no as far as I can determine..

ProfDru: they only gave one deposition each.

vkn: 3rd and y'all facebook is a good tool for people finding living people

ProfDru: The attorney fee was $10

alt: okay Selma, ProfDru's explanation adds weight to what might have been happening.

ProfDru: I need to find out how much $10 in 1891 would be worth today.

daviss: true vkn I think so but still my problem would be that they usually dont sign up with their maiden name.

Selma: Quite a bit

alt: yes vkn, FaceBook is a good tool for finding living folks.

Seventies Soulchild: sorry ProfDru, stepped away momentarily

alt: I'm finding kids & grandkids of folks that connect to my family lines on Facebook.

daviss: I used to have a site for that. I think I got it from alt yrs ago

Seventies Soulchild: I haven't ever heard of it, but I have suspected it.

vkn: but 3rd ow many shaniqua's are there

Seventies Soulchild: RE: Forging signatures @ ProfDru

vkn: ow=how

ProfDru: one witness was labeled as bad because he had a bad reputation, however it was stated that his testimony was true. that statement was quite interesting.

alt: the Webinars done by Legacy and posted by ProfDru had a great one "Chasing Woman: Searching out Maiden Names"

ProfDru: I love that webinar title alt

Seventies Soulchild: That does sound very interesting alt

ProfDru: I just finished typing up the pension depositions.

vkn: Y'all be good

Selma: How many were there?

ProfDru: three including Madison

alt: you too vkn

Seventies Soulchild: Ok maybe my pension file experience was different. . . different than the norm

ProfDru: one of the witness was a Sargeant and the other a Cook. The pension does not say this, but I found it on their service records.

alt: AYWAlton will tell you and it has been my limited experience with pension records is that they are all different even tho' they are for the same purpose.

ProfDru: soulchile, I guess they all have (pension files) have a life of their own.

Selma: Do they live in the same area with Ballard

Seventies Soulchild: I suppose so. 3 statements seems like a few.

ProfDru: no, they're all in Norfolk

alt: what's the difference between an affadavit & a deposition?

ProfDru: not sure alt there were no affidavits in this one, but I think there are some in Ballard file; haven't finished reading that one yet.

alt: I have pension files that have both.

Seventies Soulchild: Isn't a deposition given in front of a judge or some sort of other legal authority? and isn't an affadavit just a notarized statement.

ProfDru: sounds right soulchile

lisa clark: Hello

alt: could be Seventies Soulchild.

ProfDru: hello lisa

daviss: hello Lisa Clark!!

lisa clark: :)

Selma: Wouldn't the numbers of depositions increase if there is a question about the applicant.

alt: hello lisa clark , how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: Like example, when you see the lawyers statement that so and so appeared before me on this day with witness 1 and witness 2. That would be a deposition

Selma: Hello Lisa Clark welcome to the Lunch Bunch chat

lisa clark: I'm fine but frustrated

daviss: welcome Lisa

Seventies Soulchild: Hello Lisa Clark and Welcome!

lisa clark: are you guys about to leave now?

daviss: frustrated how so

alt: let us 'un-frustrate' you LOL

lisa clark: I keep running into brickwalls

ProfDru: gotta run--lunch over

Seventies Soulchild: uh oh...

lisa clark: ok c u pro

daviss: bye dru

Selma: Well welcome to genealogical research lisa.. Brickwalls we all got em

Seventies Soulchild: yes indeed

lisa clark: Thanks Selma

daviss: whats a brickwall? lol

lisa clark: Well I'm trying to find the parents of Joe S. Collier

Selma: Why don't you tell what you have done... What census records you have looked at

lisa clark: and the parents of his wife who was Annabelle I find him in 1900,1910 and 20

Seventies Soulchild: Ok do you have DC or MC for this couple"?

lisa clark: yes

Selma: What state and county.. what time frame? What census records have you looked at. When were they born?

alt: and the parents aren't on any of those records?

lisa clark: umm Joe was born in 1863 or 4 one census says sc the other one says ga no cause he was grown and gone in those census with his own family but then I tried another way

alt: where do those census records say his parents were born?

Seventies Soulchild: Ok so you have the death certificate for Joe? You've ordered it from the state he died in?

lisa clark: sc in 1900 he has a brother listed as John T. Weir

Seventies Soulchild: hmmm

daviss: where did you find him (Joe) in 1900 what state?

lisa clark: I tried looking him up but could not find him either only in the 1900 census with Joe

alt: so it appears his parent were born in SCc and the family may have later moved to GA.

lisa clark: GA

daviss: ok

Selma: So Joe is born in 1863 or 1864..you found him in 1870 with his family, or 1880, or 1900?

lisa clark: no I only found him in 1900,1920 & 30

daviss: what was his wifes name

lisa clark: I could not find him before that

Selma: and in 1900 is he already Married, living with Annabelle?

alt: have you looked for other Collier family members, siblings, etc. in the States/Counties in question?

lisa clark: he married a lady name annabelle 12/27/1886

alt: In GA? SC?

lisa clark: she died (maybe child delivery?) 9/3/1895

Selma: Where did this marriage take place, and doyou have a certificate?

3rdthawkins: hello Lisa Clark

lisa clark: I have a cert. but it does not have the state. I would say GA Hi 3rd how are you?

Selma: You have a certificate from where?

lisa clark: Then he married fannie Shaw

alt: does the certificate have a County listed?

lisa clark: it's a church certificate not a legal one

Seventies Soulchild: Ok what state was the church in?

3rdthawkins: doing good thx

alt: have you researched the location of that church?

Selma: Where did you get it from Lisa?

Seventies Soulchild: Y'all I gotta run. Have a great spring like day! :}

lisa clark: It does not say... it just says this is to certify that J.S. Collier and Annabelle Harland on 27 day of Dec. in the presence of her mother and father. Rev. A.J. Jackson they had five kids. when he married fannie shaw they had 10 more kids I got from a family member

Selma: Was it an old document?

lisa clark: ummm it was hand written

Selma: Did you look for Annabell Harland in 1870 or 1880?

lisa clark: to me look like a certificate you would buy at the store and write on it

alt: your problem may be that you have too much information lisa clark, take one piece, one person and one event at a time.

lisa clark: I could not find her anywhere alt...I've been trying that

Selma: Ok when you find him in 1900 what state is he living in with Fannie Snow

lisa clark: he is in Oklahoma

alt: seems like your clues are in the 1880 & 1900 census with birth, marraiges & deaths all falling within the time frame.

Selma: Shaw

daviss: lisa can you tell me what county in 1900

lisa clark: timber hills, Hugo?

daviss: whoa so he is in Ok in 1900?

Selma: And are the 5 children that he had with Annabelle are they living with him and Fannnie in OK

lisa clark: yes

alt: so now you have SC. GA, OK & a Rev. Jackson in the mix

Selma: Yes, they are living with him and Fannie? Where does it say they were born?

lisa clark: macon, victoria,hassie, jc, jordan, josephine,haddie,irene, georgia, geneva, nodamae ,cicero, theodore yes, alt

alt: and her (?) parents were at the wedding in 1896 w/Rev. Jackson.

lisa clark: it says so in 1886

alt: Oops 1886

lisa clark: I have a newspaper article that says Joe was born in dalton ga

Selma: What is the newspaper article about?

lisa clark: it's about him being 102 years old still voting

Selma: Are macon, victoria, hassie, jc and jordan the children of Annabelle?

lisa clark: yes yes selma The news article says he old the record for voting the most consecutive years in hugo. Says the first president. he voted for was chester a. arthur

alt: Oops, Hoops are on the TV gotta run.. good luck lisa clark, you have a lot of information there.. take your time and sort it out in a time frame by event .. births, marriage(s), death , by location.

Selma: JC and Jordan are males..did they register for the WWI draft?

3rdthawkins: watching it myself alt

daviss: I cant copy and paste but did you look at the one from 1880

lisa clark: Jordan was deaf & dumb JC was in the service.

daviss: born 1860

Selma: Where did it say he was born?

lisa clark: let me look

daviss: selma look at Talbot Ga

Selma: OK

daviss: 1880, I cant copy and paste

lisa clark: said he was born in ga

daviss: Rush Collier

3rdthawkins: ok, let me get off my lazy buns and make myself useful

Selma: Ok I see..he is listed as a nephew

lisa clark: you guys found him?

daviss: he could be a clue this Rush

3rdthawkins: what/who are you looking for in 1880 daviss and where? see if I can copy and paste

daviss: rush collier 1880 talbot ga

3rdthawkins: ok

Selma: Rush is the head of household..JOe is identified as his nephew

3rdthawkins: wife named Nina?

daviss: yes 3rd

3rdthawkins: ok

lisa clark: is the name Rush collier? or Rush Callier Jr?

daviss: take a look at that lisa and see what you think

3rdthawkins: here it is Name: Rush Collier Residence: District 688, Talbot, Georgia Birthdate: 1846 Birthplace: Georgia, United States Relationship to Head: Self Spouse's Name: Nina Collier Spouse's Birthplace: Georgia, United States Father's Name: Father's Birthplace: Georgia, United States Mother's Name: Mother's Birthplace: Georgia, United States Race or Color (Expanded): Black Ethnicity (Standardized): American Gender: Male Martial Status: Married Age (Expanded): 34 years Occupation: Works In Farm NARA Film Number: T9-0166 Page: 336 Page Character: D Entry Number: 2314 Film number: 1254166 Household Gender Age Rush Collier M 34 Spouse Nina Collier F 30 Child William Collier M 14 Child Ella Collier F 12 Child Harrison Collier M 10 Child Julia Collier F 7 Child Rush Collier M 5 Joe Collier M 20

Selma: There is a Frank Collier and wife, living next door, family before Rush

daviss: :?

Selma: Do you see frank ..above daviss

daviss: yes wife Josephine

lisa clark: I have ancestry.com up so I need to go to 1880 and look up rush collier?

Selma: Do you see Permelia Seats in Frank's household..its his mother-in-Law

daviss: for sure lisa

Selma: BRB

daviss: white

lisa clark: I got the 1880 up found rush collier

Selma: Oh yea..they are white...lol

lisa clark: lol I just got pictures of Joe and he is white

Selma: But there might be a slave owner connection

daviss: but rush is black may me a good owner clue

lisa clark: slema Gene Collier tells me that they worked for the collier slave owners

Selma: WAs Joe Collier a slave owner is he on the slave schedule

lisa clark: and that's where they got the name

3rdthawkins: oh darn, I hate when Familysearch does this

Selma: Who is Gene Collier?

lisa clark: says that when they were freed the slave owner acknowledge him as his son and gave the name...but I don't know how true that is

Selma: Are there any other black Collier families in this county in 1880?

lisa clark: Gene is the next to the youngest son of Joe S. Collier

Selma: He is still living?

lisa clark: yes he is. 95

daviss: wow

Selma: Wow is right.. What year was he born...my math brain is sleep

daviss: I would give him some of these names lisa and see what he says

lisa clark: I met him and his family in Jan. and they gave me all pics of all the kids and joe and fannie and 1 pic. of annabelle 1913

3rdthawkins: so he really would be 97 or 98

lisa clark: wow

daviss: did any Colliers get into texas lisa

3rdthawkins: yeah, good age

Selma: Are there any other black Collier families in Talbot in 1880?

lisa clark: Yes, Joe started timber hills... he would go and bring families from texas to there

3rdthawkins: I'm not seeing the same names in 1870

daviss: There is a lady that is researching colliers in Harrison County Texas

Selma: Is there a Rush in 1870 3rd

lisa clark: he started a school, a church and a post office and a general store in timberhills, in moved there from texas or GA. in 1989 he bought 80acres of land there

3rdthawkins: No Selma, not seeing that name

daviss: Jeff and Houston Collier were a few of the names

lisa clark: Could this help??? Joe told his family that he think he was older than the age he was. Says when General Sherman marched thru GA. he was about 9

Selma: What was Rush's wife's name BRB

lisa clark: ok 3rd are you on facebook?

3rdthawkins: I have a page, yes

lisa clark: can you add me as a friend? queenlc@yahoo.com

daviss: there is a Thomas Collier with a 17 yr old in 1870 Pike County

Selma: What year did Sherman march thru GA?

lisa clark: let me google that lol

Selma: You have to find all those little pieces lisa.. LOL and write it down to put in a time line..

lisa clark: wow... the year he was supposed to be born 1864

Selma: Do you have a map of GA in 1870 so that you know where talbot County was and the names of the counties that surround it

lisa clark: no

Selma: YOu need to find one

lisa clark: i'm so new to ancestry

daviss: you still have to give a 3-5 yr window on the age

lisa clark: oh to selma and daviss

Selma: and remember when during the War especially with Sherman..things were in disarry..

daviss: and dont overlook the spelling rather don't discard spelling

lisa clark: Do you think I will ever get it right?

Selma: I have to run folks..got a phone call..come back Lisa

daviss: bye sel

lisa clark: C u I'm slow, but I bought ancestry for 1 year lol

daviss: lol lisa genealogy is a long but wonderful process

lisa clark: yes I was amazed to find my uncle Gene

daviss: frustrating and rewarding

lisa clark: he still live on the land that Joe bought in 1898

daviss: awesome!

lisa clark: Gene was born on that land

daviss: what state do you live in

lisa clark: he bought 80acres it's now over 300 acres so is Rush Joe's dad or uncle?

daviss: no idea lisa you have to do more research. I would chat with your 95 yr old and see if he remembers any names

lisa clark: he said he never heard any name for joes parents

daviss: if he is listed on the census he would be related to the head so Rush says nephew

lisa clark: just that story of joes mom being the mistress to the collier slave owner and that's how they got the name

daviss: there are other names in that household

lisa clark: it would seem like that has to be the right joe because back then they tended to name their children after other family members although noone is named rush...we have a josephine

daviss: in a lot of cases they did I have to run now Lisa.. we are here everyday 12:00 ET time please come back

lisa clark: ok thanks

daviss: and look into that line

lisa clark: (normally at work) but i'm off tomorrow lol

daviss: we are also here on Sat and tues night

lisa clark: ok cool

daviss: all eastern times where are you I am in Az

lisa clark: ok i'm in columbus ohio....if any of you are willing please add me to your fb. queenlc@yahoo.com

daviss: 3rd where are you now is it Indy

lisa clark: my company has a office there fiserv. aka Checkfree

daviss: oh an Ohio person so is alt

lisa clark: really? wow

daviss: he is here everyday and is a real expert we have folks that research SC, that would be 3rd

lisa clark: ok that is great!

daviss: texas, va, Ok and Ms

lisa clark: ok this is great cause I thought my head was about to explode lol

daviss: so see ya tomorrow mabe lol lol

lisa clark: ok i'll be here lol

daviss: bye bye 3rd

lisa clark: hagd

daviss: oh just come into lunch bunch

lisa clark: 3rd, are you leaving too or did you leave? got it

daviss: he is prob mt'ing lol

lisa clark: mt'ing? What does that mean?

daviss: multi tasking lol looking for his peeps

lisa clark: lol new slang just when I thought I had internet slang down. Now I have to get the ancestry slang down lol gotcha

daviss: ok bye

lisa clark: wait

lisa clark: one more question

lisa clark: how old are you?

daviss: old real old

lisa clark: lol i'm 42

daviss: youngster

lisa clark: it's no big deal I was just wondering lol @ youngster

daviss: ok lol we are all ages in here

lisa clark: this is crazy to me cause none of my moms sisters and brothers new their collier family only their grandfather and grandmother so this is a real treate but we will talk tomorrow

daviss: for sure see ya

lisa clark: k

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy