Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-03-15 Tues LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 12:01:34
End: 13:22:14
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, daviss, ProfDru, Selma, Seventies Soulchild, vkn

daviss: hello 3rd!

3rdthawkins: hey daviss,

daviss: were you able to help that person on yesterday

3rdthawkins: no, haven't responded to them, guess will do it today,

daviss: ok did you look at any avenues at all as a start

3rdthawkins: yeah, I will need more info for the sister, unfortunately the person doesn't appear that they have any more and then, the resources list a lot of people with the name of the sister, but no ages at all, any of them could be her

daviss: I think they submitted as much as they had

3rdthawkins: usually when it's like that, the person may have died a while back

daviss: hello alt

3rdthawkins: hey alt

alt: Hello daviss & 3rdthawkins

daviss: well, I see the sister as young especially since the parents were Alt are you satisfied with the number one seed lol

3rdthawkins: yeah, had to be born in the early 70s, I'm guessing an older sister since she took the poster's older brother to the park thanks for reminding me of that daviss (college b-ball)

daviss: mabe alt is running around looking for his bracket lol

3rdthawkins: lol hey PD

ProfDru: hello gang

alt: Hello ProfDru Yeah, genealogy is going to the back burner, it's March Madness for me lol

daviss: hello there ProfDru! lol @ alt

ProfDru: vicky did you get my emails this morning?

3rdthawkins: I hear that alt

daviss: not yet ProfDru, I just got online and can straight to chat I will check now

ProfDru: ok

daviss: For some reason I am really over sleeping these last few days mabe its this March madness lol lol

ProfDru: I talked to Thomas McEntee about out idea about doing webinars. We are discussing possibilities.

alt: yeah 3rdthawkins, the OGS Conference is very poorly timed 31 Mar - 2 Apr.... that's Final Four weekend :{

daviss: ohhhh is he in or near you

3rdthawkins: today is my grandfather's cousin's 82nd birthday, I forgot last year but incidently enough called her on her birthday, this year I'm remembering it lol I understand how you feel

alt: good for you .. and her 3rdthawkins Happy Birthday to Grandpa's cousin

daviss: that will be a nice call.. Ides of March today

3rdthawkins: yeah, lots of birthday's this month, my dad's is next week hello Seventies

ProfDru: hello soulchile

3rdthawkins: finally get to say happy birthday to him

Seventies Soulchild: good morning/afternoon alt 3rd, daviss ProfDru

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild

ProfDru: brb

daviss: ok ProfDru, just read email! hello Seventies Soulchild!

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks for the condolences daviss.

daviss: Sorry about your Aunt Seventies

3rdthawkins: hey vkn

vkn: Howdy to all

alt: hello vkn, how you be's today?

Seventies Soulchild: I wish I could attend the funeral.

daviss: your are very welcome 7 and you have my prayers

Seventies Soulchild: hi vkn

vkn: I be good alt

ProfDru: ok vicky

daviss: hello vkn!

alt: wunderful vkn

vkn: condolence to you seventies

Seventies Soulchild: TY vkn

alt: yes Seventies Soulchild, to you and the extended family

Seventies Soulchild: Thanks everyone

ProfDru: vkn, what do you think about our webinar possibilities?

vkn: Sounding fantastic ProfDru

ProfDru: I will be talking to Thomas on the phone tonight. What do you want me to ask him?

daviss: I like everyones response so far ProDru...sounds good to me also

alt: how much equipment and/or training might be reqired to do webinar's ProfDru?

ProfDru: We have not discussed any topics yet. equipment-regular pc or mac, either computer headphone or telephone for audio, and speakers.

alt: not to mention the 'legalize' language that might be required

ProfDru: Training-I don't think it's that hard. We can practice before going live. With GoTo meeting, you can give different people the reins so you can see their screen.

alt: do all folks involved have to be in/at the same location?

vkn: "Seldom Used Records..." (state by state) may be a series profdru

Seventies Soulchild: What is the projected timeframe to go live?

ProfDru: ok vkn, that oops not timeframe yet; we're just exploring the possibilities.

Seventies Soulchild: ok

ProfDru: any African American specific topics? I told Thomas about our idea and asked for his advice and help.

Seventies Soulchild: I think each forum moderator should do a webinar

alt: is there a design, plan and then implementation process involved fro doing Webinars?

daviss: I would think so alt

ProfDru: With the webinar, alt, you can show PowerPoints, word or other software (family tree, etc.) or internet. Simply anything on your screen. There is no set design although we would want to discuss a format or design

alt: sorry bout all of the questions, just want to insure that if done, AfriGeneas does it right.

ProfDru: no problem alt

Seventies Soulchild: Those were good tech questions alt.

vkn: School records for instance are seldom used, Secy of state records of licenses issued to individuals, records of burial as opposed to death certificates, prison and arrests records etc and there are many more by locations

ProfDru: hopefully somebody in our group will get a trial account so we can practice. I got one a few months ago and Angela, Selma, Khathu, and VKN and I used it.

daviss: how did that run go ProDru

ProfDru: It went well. We used GoTo meeting to play around with the Conference Meeting component of this site.

alt: hello Selma

daviss: hello Selma!

ProfDru: Selma in da house!

Seventies Soulchild: What is the maximum number of users who can login to a webinar at one time? Any info on that? I suspect that the inital groups will be several.

vkn: Selma, howdy

Selma: Good Tuesday afternoon everyone

Seventies Soulchild: hi Selma! or large

3rdthawkins: hello Selma

ProfDru: Soulchile, it depends on the plan you pay for. I believe it can go up to 1,000 or more mo users, mo money

3rdthawkins: mo money, mo problems oh, sorry

alt: ProfDru, any idea the size/membership & financial status of groups who currently use Webinars?

daviss: intresting ProfDru..How often does Thomas use his did he say

3rdthawkins: that's such a great name by the way

ProfDru: not sure alt I'm not sure if he has his own account. I know that he does webinars for groups like Legacy.

Seventies Soulchild: ok ProfDru. With all of the publicity from Essence, I think that there will be much more activity on here.

ProfDru: right soulchile

alt: I notice they are ususally presented by some of the 'biggies' in the world of genealogy... Ancestry, familysearch, roots magic, ftm, ect.

daviss: to be honest I have only attended one

ProfDru: Thomas mentioned a plan for nonprofit groups--I suspect that some genealogy societies might be using that plan. right alt He also mentioned the possibility of presenting something to legacy

daviss: I think the one I attended was Ancestry about two yrs ago

ProfDru: He is well connected and very willig to help others so I'm sure we'll come up with something that works for us.

vkn: Profdru, alt, aLL Family tree may be a location

ProfDru: Perhaps we can look at some possible webinars based on topics from some of our forums.

vkn: Agreed

ProfDru: We certainly have a lot of forums to choose from. lol DNA is a hot topic and someone could do one from the AA perspective.

alt: sounds wonderful and 'ambitious' wish I could be of more help than what it appears I have to offer.

Seventies Soulchild: that is a good topic ProfDru

ProfDru: alt, you have plenty to offer

alt: don't think so ProfDru

ProfDru: well, I think so alt, and I'm sure others on Afrigeneas think so too. You're a wealth of knowledge.

Seventies Soulchild: I watched a couple of dna videos on generations tv or whatever its called.

ProfDru: good soulchile

alt: were the presentations 'detailed' or just general Seventies Soulchild? DNA

Seventies Soulchild: I found a couple of issues with some of their info. alt they were a couple of case studies.

ProfDru: uscts might be another possible topic even one on Afrigeneas as a social media site. In my presentation to my gen soc last week, I used Afrigeneas as one of my examples.

alt: All of the topics mentioned are great for discussion... Do we (AfriGeneas) have to expertise to present lectures on Webinar's? not the technical aspects, but the subject matter

ProfDru: I think we do; we have several people on the board who do presentations such as Angela, myself, Selma, Khathu, etc. I'm sure there are others whom I don't know about.

Seventies Soulchild: I would say the forum moderators would have some expertise as well. Like Paul Heingg

ProfDru: right soulchile

Selma: Lyndham would be great for the Brickwall..she gives great detailed answers

ProfDru: From reading many of the forum postings, it sounds like we have a lot of experts. We do have however have a few wannabe experts. lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: including moi LOL

ProfDru: not calling no names

Selma: Who shall remain nameless

ProfDru: oh alt lol selma

alt: DNA for example, many have tested, but can we/they expalin the difference between STP's & SNP's ... genomes and autosomal strings... or owuld they just presnt results of those who have tested?

Selma: Somebody (not me)..should do one on using the Family Tree/Roots Magic etc..program

ProfDru: that's a good topic Selma

Seventies Soulchild: NOPE! I haven't been in biology class in YEARS! I can hardly keep up with my kids biology lol

alt: Selma .. good point on gen software packages... go to www.rootsmagic.com and take a look at the 9 or so Webinar's they have produced.... by the developer of Roots Magic.

ProfDru: alt, I would imagine an AA DNA presentation focusing on the different types of tests and how AA's use the results. I just scrolled through the list of forums and we have a huge number of possible topics.

alt: Okay ProfDru

Seventies Soulchild: Is there an expert in that field? ProfDru

ProfDru: dna?

Seventies Soulchild: How AAs can or using DNA results from different companies? Or even the best way to use DNA results.

Selma: A better understanding of just what these results are telling them

ProfDru: there may be someone on that forum who is an expert. I haven't been there in a while, but I remember that toot provided a lot of information.

Selma: Cause some folks are totally unrealistic

alt: I would doubt it Seventies Soulchild, expert... Rick Kittles & Gina Paige are the African Ancestry founders, but using them wouldlook as if AfriGeneas is endorsing then as the AA testing agency.

daviss: Toot is the Forum host

ProfDru: better understanding is good selma.

Seventies Soulchild: I agree Selma.

Selma: So why can't we have them..then another company...

alt: Toot.. is VERY good at explain who to have tested and why, beyond that I don't know.

Seventies Soulchild: you know I don't have a problem with endorsing a BOB and a good one at that.

ProfDru: With a AA DNA webinar, I would not just focus on one company. Many of us have used several companies. Plus African Ancestry has limited results.

alt: you/we can Selma Alan Greenspan of FTDNA would probably available .. for sales purposes LOL

Seventies Soulchild: That sounds like a great topic ProfDru

ProfDru: In my DNA presentations, I talk about different companies and the types of tests they offer.

alt: you go beyond Y, mt & autosomal ProfDru?

ProfDru: no

Seventies Soulchild: I would like to know more about the 20 year dna sampling done in Africa. And how that would impact dna testing among people in the diaspora.

ProfDru: alt, are you talking about something like 23 and me?

Selma: Populations have been on the move for thousands of years..

alt: no, I'm speaking to the number of markers tested and the Haplogroup assignments and what those migrations mean, popualtion density's, and how to interpet the alleles, etc.

ProfDru: well, as I said about this whole webinar thing-we've just exploring the possibilites right now.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Selma. I think that was addressed in African American Lives2. I thought it was great that they brought in a migration expert on that

ProfDru: alt, I do talk a little bit about that.

Selma: Folks seem to think that folks were stagnent..

alt: oaky ProfDru

Selma: They understand that we all came out of Africa..but then assume folks stayed in one place after that initial migration

alt: and they seem to think these migrations took place in the last century or so... not hundreds of thousands of year ago.

Selma: then there are the folks..who are looking for a "specific" result..and come h*%ll or high water they are going to test until they get in it

daviss: :?

ProfDru: If we are going to do this, we need to look at our strengths and human resources, and come up with a few webinar topics. Even in this chat room right now, we have a wealth of knowledge that can benefit countless others.

alt: exactly ProfDru, design, plan & implement

Seventies Soulchild: lol Selma

ProfDru: exactly alt

Seventies Soulchild: And money....

ProfDru: some folks just want the dna t-shirt and bragging rights. lol

Selma: and I think that is perfectly Cool Dru..

Seventies Soulchild: lol I'm fine with that. We deserve to know our african ancestry.

Selma: Yes we do seventies

ProfDru: So I'll let yall know how my phone conference goes tonight. I'm extremely excited about the possibilities.

daviss: great ProfDru!

Selma: Jeez Dru..you are getting as bad as AY..with the Projects

ProfDru: lol selma

daviss: lol @ Selma

Seventies Soulchild: lol

alt: wonderful ProfDru, I enjoy the excitement in your 'voice'

ProfDru: thanks alt

Seventies Soulchild: well when you do finalize it, I'll add it to my blog and my webpage.

ProfDru: We got to move forth in the technology world--we can be an example to AA groups like AAHGS. me too souldchile

Seventies Soulchild: Agree ProfDru

ProfDru: well gotta run. Adios

Seventies Soulchild: have a good one ProfDru

daviss: bye

alt: on eof my concerns is the 'expert' thing.... remeber how Michael Hait has been criticized as labeling himself and expert on AA slave research.... we all know better, but his 'propaganda' has takenroots.

Seventies Soulchild: How so alt? I don't follow his work so I don't know.

Selma: The first thing out of his mouth was "black folk are taught that they took the name of the slave owner"...no one ever said that to me

alt: are you following the genealogy magazines & websites Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes, but I haven't seen anything on him as of late/ Selma that's not the first time I've heard that.

Selma: He is there seventies...

alt: then you aren't looking at the 'mainstream' genealogy press Seventies Soulchild

Seventies Soulchild: So he's set himself up as an expert on AA slavery research? Anyone putting themselves out there to challenge him based on knowledge alone?

alt: and has become somewhat successful at it Seventies Soulchild not me.. and I can't chalenge what he has 'published' it is factual.

Seventies Soulchild: Well he's following the tradition of many caucasians who profess to be experts on AA history and culture.

alt: no doubt Seventies Soulchild, when the Lion cna write the book or something like that as the saying goes.

Seventies Soulchild: you do know what I'm going to say next, right? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

alt: cna=can

daviss: gotta run peeps later

Seventies Soulchild: Well I've got to get going. Gotta get back to work. have a good day all

alt: I truly hope AfriGeneas can make the transition into the 'new' world of genealogical technical advances, but lets' also be realistic. Oops just you and me Selma

Selma: Sorry alt..

alt: no problem... onward & upward is the motto for AfriGeneas, huh?

Selma: Have someone here doing some work on my house..had to check on something

alt: okay, make sure you're getting your work done as you like it.

Selma: Having some work done on a bathroom..gave myself a serious headache yesterday looking for a light fixture.

alt: I'll let you go so you can TCB LOL

Selma: LOL So that name of the person I asked you about sounded familiar?

alt: yes it does for some reason

Selma: Ok..I will let you know if I get more info. I gotta run

alt: alright, looking forward to hearing from you

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy