Try a new Ancestry.com Membership!

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

Footnote.com

Note: Please follow the link(s) on the navigation bar below to search additional messages that have been archived to conserve space. If no link is visible, no messages have been archived on this board.

2011-01-24 LunchBunch Monday

*LunchBunch

*LunchBunch

Start: 11:58:18
End: 13:12:17
Chatters: 3rdthawkins, alt, AYWalton, daviss, Dru, Seventies Soulchild

daviss: hello alt and 3rd

alt: Hello 3rdthawkins & daviss.. how are the two of you today?

daviss: doing good alt! how about you?

alt: doing better, it's a little warmer today in the teens LOL

daviss: where you satisfied with the games

3rdthawkins: hello alt and daviss

alt: pretty much so.. and you? hello 3rdthawkins

3rdthawkins: very!!!! :}

daviss: no biggie for me lol

alt: me neither since the Browns weren't playing LOL

3rdthawkins: so not a Bengals guy??

alt: have you started your RM database daviss?

daviss: mabe next time it will be the Cards vs the Browns

alt: naw 3rdthawkins, lingtime Browns fan

3rdthawkins: ok

alt: longtime

3rdthawkins: HA!!! In Like Never!!! :p

alt: careful now 3rdthawkins, never say never

daviss: ya never know

3rdthawkins: Browns I think has a better chance of getting there though in the next 10 or 15 years to ok, so back to alt's question, daviss, how's the RM database coming along?

daviss: no alt, not yet..I need to go get from Frys or Best Buy

alt: oh, you don't have RM yet?

daviss: no I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing I want to use it for only that purpose

alt: okay... you 'always' do the right thing LOL

daviss: lol lol

3rdthawkins: ok Spike Lee

alt: yep

daviss: someone said I could download a free version but not sure to what extent it will take me even though I do not want all the bells and whistles

alt: not very far daviss.. the free 'demo' is quite limited

daviss: ok so that makes my mind up for me thanks alt!

alt: but it will give you a 'feel' for how the program operates daviss.

daviss: I was going through three prects last night.. 1, 3 and 7

3rdthawkins: I had got it cause I thought I was would be able to do create a website, but, the only reason why I bought but, turns out the website is creation horrible, it's more like an index. You would have to have an actual website

alt: okay, did you 'add' anyone to your exisitng database?

daviss: those are the dominant ones for where my folks were

alt: or are you just

daviss: no alt because I am at a standstill

alt: you might consider for your database?

daviss: so this Community base should be a lot better

alt: or are you just browsing for folks to consider for additions to your DB?

daviss: well I wanted to get a feel for names in the precincts but it seems like the people where rather stationary and only the precincts changed

alt: that's ususally the case daviss... once folks got settled in an area they remained for extended periods of time... at least the older generations.

daviss: I tried calling on Fri to a place at the courthouse to see if they had just maps but the lady who may have known was out on Funeral leave

alt: and this is where you find those connections that go back 3-4 genearations. plat maps for the county/city? might try the auditor/recorder for 'Sanborn Maps".

3rdthawkins: hello seventies

Seventies Soulchild: good afternoon everyone! alt, daviss, 3rdthawkins :)

alt: hello Seventies Soulchild, how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: cold

daviss: I was hoping for a map of just the precincts individual ones lol

Seventies Soulchild: 3 degrees. this is the coldest winter I've ever experienced in NY!

daviss: hey there Seventies

alt: there might be something like that at the Board of Elections daviss

3rdthawkins: yeah, my grandmother's niece was telling me that last nite when I was chatting with her on FB, she lives in NY

alt: or at least voter registrations by Precint.

daviss: ok thx alt I will check and see if they have something like that seventies there was a picture of a fella on the news this morn with ice cicles in his beard

Seventies Soulchild: I had to make sure that the kids were dressed up really well this morning as it was -4 when they left for school.

daviss: I would be like frosty the snow person if I cad to go that route. lol frozen in place

Seventies Soulchild: I'm wishing it were April right about now.

alt: 3rdthawkins, saw your respponse on DC vs SSA information.

Seventies Soulchild: Ok enough about that. lol daviss did you get a chance to check out the Roots Magic conference in AZ this past week?

3rdthawkins: yeah, I told my gm's niece she has at least wo more months, she was talking about moving to a warmer place. After I said that she said she was planning for the future lol what did you think about it alt?

Seventies Soulchild: It was on the 20-21 jan, daviss.

daviss: nope seventies

Seventies Soulchild: I don't blame her 3rdthawkins

alt: okay, but it doesn't account for folks who were here before SSA

daviss: Was that in Mesa Seventies

alt: which is only to about 1935-1937

Seventies Soulchild: I can't recall the exact name, but it was something with sun in the name.

3rdthawkins: right, I see alt, and some info may not be totally correct, especially for those older folks who were born early 1900s late 1800s and not too much info will be given

daviss: gee seventies it could have been Raisin in the Sun lol

Seventies Soulchild: lol sorry It was Sun City West, AZ

alt: that's where the familysearch type sites come into play for the DC & death records for those earlier years.

daviss: lol ok thx

Seventies Soulchild: Here at Palm Ridge Rec Center

daviss: I had not heard of that one seventies

Seventies Soulchild: Yes if you have roots magic, the free version, you have to accept their spam, lol I mean updates. Hey Dru

Dru: howdy gang

daviss: AYWalton reminded me of one that was going on in Mesa but I did not get back from the mountains in time

3rdthawkins: right alt, I was speaking of in comparison with the SSA's vs DC which is better and would give more information, I feel not everybody's situation is the same as cynthia's, and mind was comploetely opposite when you're dealing with passing for white people, you knwo

alt: hello Dru, how are ya?

daviss: heyy Dru!

3rdthawkins: hello Dru, not feeling like a Professor today???

Dru: lol 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: I know one thing, its much easier to type... lol

3rdthawkins: lol

Dru: The ProfessorDru login would not work today.

alt: it's good to have the comparison between SSA data & DC data... and who knows which is 'more correct'.

Dru: guess i could have abbreviated

3rdthawkins: yep, right alt

Dru: soulchile, how many USCT ancestors do you have?

Seventies Soulchild: I have 4 possible 5. Still waiting on the Nat'l Archives to send my papers. :) I am 99.9% sure of the 5th.

daviss: boy you sure cant get better than that 7

Dru: I adopted one who is brother in law of James A. Fields. There is a historical house in my community in honor of Fields and I'm doing research on the family.

3rdthawkins: I did make another Hawkins connection you all, gettin some help last nite

alt: that he was a USCT, or that he was a relative Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: that he was a relative, alt.

Dru: The brother in law was in Company B of the First Regiment USCT.

daviss: good for you 3rd

Seventies Soulchild: I want to 'finish' with this one before I look at Mary McFarland-Earls husband Richard Earls pension file.

Dru: good 3rd

3rdthawkins: she is actually a descendant of my 2nd great grandfather from his first marriage, and she's around my age, so a 3rd generation cousin. She had a tree on Ancestry.com, "tracked" her down on myspace, she responded

alt: that's good 3rdthawkins, so your Hawkins FGS are ever expanding with thes newly found connections?

Dru: soulchile, what types of info can i expect from a cw pension file?

3rdthawkins: hopefully so alt, she had a photo of my great grandfather, haven't spoken with her yet, will try and call sometime

alt: good luck 3rdthawkins

Seventies Soulchild: Anyway, so how is that research coming Dru? Sounds like it may be interesting. the 1st USCT is out of VA?

3rdthawkins: thx alt hello Aywalton

AYWalton: Good afternoon, all.

alt: Hello AYWalton, how are ya?

Seventies Soulchild: Good afternoon AYWalton :)

Dru: the Fields family reseach is going extremely well.

AYWalton: is that Professor Dru in da house?

daviss: hello there AYWalton!

Dru: Angela i da house!!!

AYWalton: lol

Seventies Soulchild: I've been checking your blog from time to time. I see you've updated recently. That's great! :}

AYWalton: I update continually all 3 blogs.

Seventies Soulchild: Good articles in there.

Dru: The Fields research is taking me into new records which my ancestors have not been listed.

AYWalton: I have made 11 posts in January on my USCT blog alone. Hope they are interesting.

daviss: I need to get in an update mood :(

AYWalton: Dru I see you are getting TONS of data on Lewis the USCT.

Dru: Angela is a blog writing machine. lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I hear you daviss. . . sometimes its like that.

AYWalton: lol I will slow down soon, I just wanted to start the new year out right.

Seventies Soulchild: I know right?! lol

AYWalton: and I put up a mini-video on the session that khathu did.

Seventies Soulchild: I read that yesterday. great piece AYWalton.

AYWalton: thanks, SoulChile!

alt: AYWalton, the Raji that plays football for the Green Bay Packers... he went to collge in Boston... Could he be related to your husband's folks?

Dru: yes am I. Last night and his morning, I copied and pasted the names of the first regiment company B's soldiers. 143 including Madison Lewis.

Seventies Soulchild: That would've been a great video the entire presentation to put on a promotional for the AAGHS there.

AYWalton: have no idea, alt.

alt: okay AYWalton

Seventies Soulchild: Oh Dru you went to the archives? Or just got it from the CWSS?

Dru: no, I download names from the soldier/sailor website

AYWalton: and Madison Lewis filed a pension, Dru.

Dru: Ancestry also has some USCT records online.

AYWalton: Will go to the Archives this week and check him out.

Dru: Angela, when are you going to the archives?

AYWalton: I will email you som eof the pages from the file. You can then let me know if you want the entire file. (which I bet you will.)

Seventies Soulchild: You know one of my ancestors who doesn't appear on the AACWS or on the CWSS has a pension file I found in Ancestry. Which was surprising to me. Helped me verify some other family oral history.

AYWalton: probably Wednesday, Dru. what unit did he serve in SoulChile?

Dru: good soulchile

Seventies Soulchild: the 50th usct

alt: did he serve in the USCT ub=nder an alias Seventies Soulchild

Dru: 3rd, what family line did you connect with last night?

Seventies Soulchild: Yes and No.... On the slave inventory he's listed as Chism, but enlisted as Charles Rounds/Bounds Jr.

Dru: angela and soulchile, what type of info can I expect from a pension record? might the record include anything about the soldier's past such as slavery?

AYWalton: SoulChile, there is a Charles Rounds on the CWSS for the 50th US Colored Infantry.

Seventies Soulchild: It depends on how long and who's applied for the pension. I didn't see him there... sometimes that happens when I do a name specific search. If I look at the soldiers listing, then I'll get a hit. Normally I go to ancestry.

3rdthawkins: Hawkins Dru

Seventies Soulchild: brb

AYWalton: And his name is on the AACWM on Plaque #63

3rdthawkins: a descendant of my great great grandfather from his first marriage

Dru: angela, what site do you go to in order to find if a cw soldier filed a pension?

Seventies Soulchild: What? Ok now I went looking for him there last August and didn't find anything.

AYWalton: he's right there.

Dru: good 3rd

AYWalton: on both of them.

Seventies Soulchild: Under the 50th... Khathu was with me.

AYWalton: I am looking at it right now.

alt: did you have the 'right' 50th Seventies Soulchild?

Seventies Soulchild: Hmm I will have to go look it up. Plaque #63

daviss: ok how long must a knee grow wait to get an answer on their email before they resend :{

Seventies Soulchild: I thought I did, alt.

AYWalton: was he born in Mississippi?

Dru: This whole USCT thing is so exciting to me. I wonder if the Fields family knows about this. Angela, I plan to come to DC when it gets warmer to visit the CW monument.

Seventies Soulchild: Yes Adams Co.

AYWalton: lol who are you talking about, daviss? Let me know and I will take you there, Dru.

Seventies Soulchild: Dru, you will get more info if a widow or relative applied for the pension IMO

daviss: Lodge information Angela on my Dickersons

alt: depends daviss

AYWalton: lodge as in Masonic Lodge?

daviss: yes

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, would you say that's true?

Dru: what other relatives besides his wife could apply?

daviss: I sent it on the 12th alt

AYWalton: that can be the case, but one also has to know how to use a file. By following the witnesses, you learn a lot more. Their stories tell you more about the times as they unfolded, when they were mustered in, and in many cases, about their lives before emancipation.

alt: they (organizations0 can be awfully slow daviss, some might not even check their email but once a weel or so.

AYWalton: So all witnesses are useful. I do agree that widow's files are useful, because they had to talk about their marriage and prove that they were married. So the witnesses come in to verify, often brining incredible stories with them.

Dru: Madison left Hanover County with Fields' mother and some of her children. Hopefully his record will give me more info about their lives during slavery.

AYWalton: again all the reason to listen to and to treasure the words of those who might not be relatives---but who are pertinent to the story.

Seventies Soulchild: Witness testimony is very useful.

Dru: good angela

AYWalton: Dru, was Madison a contraband?

Dru: yes

Seventies Soulchild: Also, one thing I did find was a Wellington Gordon who appeared in almost all of the pension files I've received for Adams Co. MS relatives.

AYWalton: we have to remember, our families just like we do----lived in a community---and that community shaped the things that happened to them.

Dru: He ran away with the Fields family in late March 1863 and arrived in Hampton in early April 1863.

AYWalton: then you need to learn more about him, SoulChile. Dru was he at Ft. Monroe, or where did he enlist?

Seventies Soulchild: I did a short research on him and he must've been someone of good standing in the community.

Dru: in Camp Hamilton outside of Ft. Monroe and Norfolk-across the water

daviss: sheesh alt I went after this ph/email info from the last of Nov until the 11th of this month when someone finally answered me. Now I am still on the wait list

Dru: Camp Hampton is down the street from my office.

AYWalton: that is a story to tell-----SoulChile----no not a relative, but a leader in the community who was a witness in your family's life---oh yes, you need to keep a file and someday talk about him. Write him up in a blog. Dru that is where lots of contrabands were enlisted!

Dru: right angela

Seventies Soulchild: But he may also be a relative. The mother of one of the widows was surnamed Gordon.

AYWalton: Wellington Gordon should be in your ancestral circle--of people connected to your family through association.

Dru: So 3rd, what did you learn about the ancestor you discovered last night?

AYWalton: I like that name.

Seventies Soulchild: Wellington?

AYWalton: the entire name. Wellington Gordon. That's a name of someone I would love to meet. Has a nice strong sound. lol

Seventies Soulchild: Ok I must be addicted to coca cola because I am having a fit right now lol I'm out out!

Dru: There is a historic marker down the street about Camp Hamilton. This just across the water from where the Fields family settled.

Seventies Soulchild: It does. Sounds very modern actually. :)

AYWalton: sounds like a caffeine fit to me, SoulChile. That is interesting, Dru. I look forward to coming down and seeing that area!!

Dru: don't talk about caffeine, I'm trying not to get a pepsi. lol

Seventies Soulchild: sorry Dru.. :} Ok, now anyone getting any family reunion info??

AYWalton: Well, they are not allowed to put coca in it anymore so the buzz you get is from the cola part. LOL

Seventies Soulchild: Its that time of year :}

Dru: not yet

Seventies Soulchild: lol they have got me today. I've had a latte and a cherry coke all before noon... lol

AYWalton: oh gracious!!

Dru: lol soulchile

alt: daviss, you might have to exercise 'great patience' with your masonic query.. those folks are very historical outside of the organizational. LOL history

AYWalton: you DO have a buzz!!!!!!!!!!1

Seventies Soulchild: Yes I went to go take a sip and darn the bottle was empty! lol

daviss: I guess alt.....

AYWalton: evaporation? lol

Seventies Soulchild: Yep :}

AYWalton: uh huh..........:)

Dru: Hopefully Selma will look at the ration list today.

alt: are-are not very historical

Dru: We're working on a presentation for March.

Seventies Soulchild: Who is having reunions this year? My Washington-Rounds family of Adams Co. MS and My Callins-Clay family of Dallas Co., AL

Dru: Not sure what out exact focus on the Fields family will be yet.

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to be spending a lot of moolah this year. . .

Dru: Our Bullock reunion is always in August.

Seventies Soulchild: I think our AL family is going to be in August as well.

3rdthawkins: would like to Seventies, now that I am meeting a lot of people on my father's side, and people are getting excited about the connections. It will be a very good one for my paternal family, a bridging of the gap because of my grandfather disbanding from them

alt: and we will have our 91st Annual Adams reunion Labor Day weekend.

Seventies Soulchild: 91 years wow that's how long my grandfather has been alive.

3rdthawkins: if it's not a reunion like that, traveling and meeting them will be as special

Dru: 3rd, are you planning to write some of your research findings for your reunion?

Seventies Soulchild: Aim for the reunion a3rd

3rdthawkins: dont' know Dru, it is a good idea, didn't think about that, I may, have to start putting it in the years and minds of those I'm speaking with

Dru: Writing is a good way to create interest in the family's history and can sometimes lead to new information.

Seventies Soulchild: I was considering putting something together for our family reunion (Washington-Rounds family) like that Dru.

3rdthawkins: yearsp--Ears

AYWalton: I find reunions are a challenge because most people interact only with those whom they know. So the cousins who are familiar will greet each other and the "new" cousins to the clan are not always brought in to interact. that can be a challenge at many reunions.

Seventies Soulchild: It was be nice for everyone to know where we came from and the filler stuff too.

AYWalton: and folks leave still not KNOWING new family.

Dru: yes that is angela. Doing the family history was my way to get to know my cousins. Before I was an outsider.

AYWalton: there is the chart on the wall that some folks have, but there is a challenge to get folks to feel incorporated and to interact with each other. That is human nature, of course.

Seventies Soulchild: AYWalton, you would that that's the case, but we have another branch of Rounds who grew up with my mom and they have held seperate reunions for years.

3rdthawkins: right Aywalton, My Main goal and focus is to REUnited the older folks with the descendants of My Grandfather. Since they knew him or about him, and we were all basically disconnected from that family, it can bring joy to their faces to see there's hope. It's like Undoing what my grandfather Did

AYWalton: exactly----and it will be important to incorporate some ice-breaking activities to get people to talk. MOST people are shy and stay with the familiar.

Seventies Soulchild: That's Iris' line, for those of you who know her.

3rdthawkins: perhaps that Wedge can be taken away some that was put between him and his siblings, which is is own doing

alt: that is and can be a problem AYWalton.. many reunions have techniques/programs that cause an interaction of the various segments attending large family reunions... we ususally have between 250-300 folks at our Adams reunion and employ some of those techniques.

AYWalton: And the newer generations are further from the common ancestor, and feel less emotionally attached.

Dru: A reunion of the elders is good, 3rd. Through my research my grandmother has been reunited with numerous family members whom she lost touch with.

AYWalton: that is fantastic, alt!

Seventies Soulchild: see alt, you would be an expert at that. You've sat on a reunion board before right?

Dru: alt should write a book about about family reunion techniques.

alt: there are plenty of boks already written Dru LOL

3rdthawkins: of course family grow apart naturally and unintentionally, everyone's doing their own thing, so that's one thing

AYWalton: But one needs to know how to make some techniques work.

Dru: not with alt's techniques. lol

Seventies Soulchild: but not one by you though alt: } :}

AYWalton: My friend Argyrie has done some interesting ice-breaker activities.

Seventies Soulchild: thank you Dru..... lol

Dru: well gang, I gotta run. Adios.

AYWalton: She organized a treasure hunt with clues to be found in the lives of the elders. To win the prize, they participants have to talk to the elders.

Seventies Soulchild: later Dru

alt: 3rdthawkins, you might try a famil page on Facebook, or a MyFamily.com website in hopes of reuniting your extended family

AYWalton: Questions like----who among the people over 85 was born on Christmas? Who in the family had twins and 3 sets of twin granddchildren?

3rdthawkins: think I will alt

Seventies Soulchild: That's a good question, AYWalton.

AYWalton: they have to mingle around the room, and ask questions of the elders in a specific amount of time.

3rdthawkins: wow, that's great AY

Seventies Soulchild: What was the name of the book you got these activities from? Or is it just something your family came up with?

AYWalton: She takes photos of elders, and cuts them into pieces. They have to find out who has other parts of the puzzle, and the group that has assembled the photo together, will win a prize. Each photo being cut into the same number of pieces. They HAVE to mix and mingle. And----they have to then identify who the person is on the photo as well.

alt: we did that exact thing last year AYWalton, for those under 15 y/o and the prize was a realtivley cheap digital camera for the winner... he was an 11 y/o and wow was he ever thrilled to have filled in the most correct answers on his questionaire

daviss: their are tons of good ideas on the reunion forum here also there

AYWalton: She made them up and she has done a number of mixers like that. It gets people to interact.

Seventies Soulchild: I've been checking that forum also, daviss.

AYWalton: And she would put the puzzle pictures in each welcome folder, and made a point to make sure that folks in the same family group did not get the same image.

Seventies Soulchild: You guys, that sounds great! I'm going to suggest that to my cousin Gwen who is organizing the MS reunion this summer.

3rdthawkins: yeah, we need a reunion, we just had a familiar member who passed in Nov. my cousin had told me about her before, she hardly ever called, and so one day she happened to call after I had got in contact with this cousin and asked her a "genealogy-related" question, but about a month later she sadly passed

Seventies Soulchild: I'm going to have to get some of my folks on here. Well some more.... lol

alt: send'em to ggogle for Reunion planning sites Seventies Soulchild

AYWalton: well I have to run folks. Have a great day!

Seventies Soulchild: Well all I know is I want to go horse riding this year. lol

daviss: sheesh I just got off the phone with the Lodge person. she stated that she got my email but.... lol

Seventies Soulchild: not again. . . SMH I was going to call some of the archives on Friday, but. . . lol

daviss: I will do what alt said and wait but.....

alt: patience baby patience LOL

Seventies Soulchild: lol

daviss: ho hum

Seventies Soulchild: alright my lunch is just about over and I have to reboot my computer :{

alt: put it on the back burner and start on something else, LOL

3rdthawkins: Mariah!

daviss: I think I will pull up my "One Step from The Blues " record by Artie White and turn it up real loud

3rdthawkins: lol

Seventies Soulchild: Well hey if you ever need research material... you can call me up! lol I don't have a shortage of people who need to be traced... lol

alt: come on daviss be positive.. it's gonna happen in time, when the ancestors are ready to be found LOL

daviss: ;)

Seventies Soulchild: that's true alt. But they sure make you work for it! :}

daviss: might even drink a beer lol and dance with the broom

Seventies Soulchild: See y'all later. huh daviss??? LOL

alt: and it almost always 'worth the wait'

Seventies Soulchild: byeeeee

daviss: ok off to market

3rdthawkins: almost, but not when they give you a hard time

daviss: bye alt and 3rd

alt: this little piggy LOL

3rdthawkins: bye daviss

18 Dec 2002 :: 1 Feb 2009
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy